Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

490,277 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have the PA 1-8 on mine. I really like the scope, but I haven't been able to get it out past 100 yards yet.
claym711
AG
A few questions:

1. Anyone have an opinion on KAC SR15 vs DD DDM4 or BCM ECCE14?

2. Is there a preferred dealer you guys on here use? The DD and BCM seem to be really limited stock in my short search.

2. Optics. First AR, so bear with me here. Going to primarily be survival scenario and self defense purposed, but of course want to be able to use it for other things and get down range some. So....1-8x, higher magnification with top/offset red dot, save up and go ACOG (understand in true survival situation, anything requiring a batter becomes useless over time) ???
BenderRodriguez
AG
SR15 would be my pick of the three, though any of them are good.

For 95% of what a suburban/urban gun owner would want to do with an AR, a simple red dot is a great option. The 1x of a Low Power Variable Optic is usually not a true 1x, and the eye box is always going to be more limited and less forgiving than a simple red dot. That being said, a LVPO is the most flexible, do it all option. Just heavier and not as quick on 1x.

Acog or LPVO with a red dot mounted on top is a very specific set up, designed for shoot under head mounted night vision (its hard to get down onto a low mounted optic with NV on). If you're not also buying NV don't bother with it. If after shooting for a while you want to run dual optics, offset is better than stacked unless you use NV.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Bender, would you mind sharing what part of the state you reside in? Are you comfortable with that?
You're a hell of a resource!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Im in the lovely metropolis of Temple Texas.

What I know is very little compared to some of the guys on gun specific boards, but I'm happy if I can help contribute to this boards broad and deep knowledge base even a little bit.
ClearlyJustSomeAg
AG
I don't really have much to contribute other than to show off my just-completed build:

Aero Precision "Texas" Edition M4E1 FDE Lower
Aero P M4E1 FDE Upper
Aero P 12" Atlas S-One FDE Handguard
Battlelink Minimalist Stock
Magpul MOE+ Grip
NBS 16" .223 Wylde Barrel
WMD Nitromet Carbine Gas Tube
Generic Carbine Buffer Kit
Low Profile Gas Block
Generic Mil Spec Trigger Group
Phosphate BCG
Aero P Upper Parts Kit
CMMG Lower Parts Kit
Generic Ambi Charging Handle
A2 Flash Hider
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Lancer Smoke Mag

If only I could find some ammo for a reasonable price. Can't shoot steel either at the local range.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Those Aero Texas lowers are slick.
Van Buren Boy
AG

Finally got around to getting my SBR stamp. Now it's suppressor time.
BenderRodriguez
AG
BenderRodriguez
AG
Welp, it's been 4 years since I started this thread.

I hope everyone managed to get at least one slapped together. If you're buying your first one now...should have checked in here last year. You're going to pay the procrastination tax these days.

If you have a reliable semi auto rifle of any sort, I would hold off on buying anything these days. Ammo, parts, guns are all dumb right now.

I'm buying a few little upgrade parts here and there if/when things are available but mostly just holding off for now.

Hope for a favorable election result in November or things are going to stay screwy for a while.
txyaloo
AG
I bought and SBR'd this M92 close to 6 years ago. It's sat in the safe unshot since then. Current political climate got me motivated to finally finish it. At some point, it's going out to have the trunion replaced for an actual triangle stock.

Stormwerkz hinge
Circle 10 stock
Refinished lower hand guard
Ultimak upper
CNC Warrior Brake
Binary Boogie Hook trigger group

BenderRodriguez
AG
Nice. I have a bunch of x39, and an unconverted Saiga thats about to get sent off and fixed up if ammo stays this way.
txyaloo
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Nice. I have a bunch of x39, and an unconverted Saiga thats about to get sent off and fixed up if ammo stays this way.
That was part of my decision to finish it out. x39 is generally available at normal prices while 5.56 isn't. I'll save the good stuff and play with the commie rounds.

Not sure if you've heard about the binary boogie hook, but it works well for a $125 binary option.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Plan is ALG trigger, KNS adjustable piston and a pinned and welded bulgy style brake with 100 series furniture. A 104ish inspired thing. Like this:

BenderRodriguez
AG
For those messing with upgrades right now: The Streamlight HLX is a great light but I don't like the velcro/tape attachment stuff for the switch. A 5/32 drill bit, some spare mlok hardware and an arisaka scout mount and you can get it set up for ambidextrous use on your home defense AR solidly mounted.

robstrom
AG
My two newest builds.

AR-10 - 6mm creedmoor build
Aero precision upper, lower and Handguard
Aero lower parts
CMC two stage trigger
Wilson combat 22" barrel
F-1 firearms bcg
Vortex hs-t 6-24x50

AR-15 - 300 blackout pistol (pic before finished)
Aero upper and lower
Strike industries quick detach handguard
Strike industries parts kit
Strike industries brace
CMC single stage trigger
Griffin armaments bcg
Ballistic advantage 8" barrel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.