Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

493,654 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
TamuKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ag0207 said:

With all the sales I jumped on a new stripped upper & lower. This will be my first complete build. What tools do you guys consider essential to have for a complete build?
Good vice and a good punch set, and then an armorer's wrench (castle nut, barrel nut, etc) are the main ones.
Having a good assortment of allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and hex heads lying around helps too.

You can get by with a standard workshop with tools if you are fairly mechanically inclined and creative. I've used a long, sturdy nail as a punch before, for example. Obviously much easier with the correct tools.
Daddy-O5
AG
Looking at some options for my next build, Geissele triggers worth the money? Any insight for the various models?
The Wonderer
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Looking at some options for my next build, Geissele triggers worth the money? Any insight for the various models?
dr_boogs
AG
He's got some great videos on his site and you tube that take you through all the triggers. I just bought an SSA for my next build. SSA-E is popular too, but really depends on intended use.
DatTallArchitect
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Geissele is having a big 4th of July sale right now. I don't own any, but never heard anyone think they spent too much on them.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

.Personal preference thing, but I much prefer single-stage to dual-stage. For that reason, I choose CMC triggers (3.5lb. curved) for my builds. Love those triggers, and I think they're every bit as good as Geissele (I have several of their products from rails to mounts and they're all top quality).
dr_boogs
AG
Yep, got mine on sale during Memorial Day weekend.
Daddy-O5
AG
Big reason why I'm looking at getting one now. Sales on all the normal sites.
Daddy-O5
AG
And thanks for the feedback from everyone else. I figure now is as good of a time as any to check one out for myself. I'll check out his YouTube channel in the meantime.
CharlieBrown17
AG
You can also get the G2S and G2S-E which are "lower " offerings of the the SSA and SSA-E. My G2S-E feels just like a SSA-E and had the same logo. They say there's less spot checks on the G2S line but I still trust their process without it.
Mr. Dubi

For Independence Day we're sporting a new look on the 9mm
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chickenhawk
Mr. Dubi said:

That is some serious 'murica going on in that picture.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Best picture I have that is Independence Day related would probably be my A4 clone.

Picture from when I first got the KAC M5 installed and was playing around with the foregrip location.

Chickenhawk
Photobucket
dubi
AG
You need to rehost that pic!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Damn you photobucket!! Hold on I'll figure something out.

Happy A4th of July!!!

AverageJones
AG
Putting together a lower for a truck gun, will a regular buffer tube work for a carbine stock?
BenderRodriguez
AG
AverageJones said:

Putting together a lower for a truck gun, will a regular buffer tube work for a carbine stock?

I'm not 100% sure what you're saying here, but if I understand you correctly and you are referring to a rifle buffer tube (also known as a receiver extension depending on who is talking about the part) then the answer is no. A rifle buffer tube designed for an A1 or A2 stock (as pictured in the post above yours) will not work with a carbine stock.

Rifle buffer tube:

Carbine buffer:

tlepoC
AG
Heads up..$65 nitride bcg by toolcraft. More parts keep coming in with these deals lately

https://www.geauxarmory.com/toolcraft-nitride-p-544.html
GigemCO2008
AG
Just gonna leave this here

maverick2076
I like Geaux Armory. Good prices and fast shipping
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
GigemCO2008 said:

Yeah, there's a 100% chance I'll be picking a couple of these up. Freaking awesome.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

GigemCO2008 said:

Yeah, there's a 100% chance I'll be picking a couple of these up. Freaking awesome.
I've got the Franklin Binaries in stock
The Wonderer
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

GigemCO2008 said:

x2
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What are the similarities and differences
Daddy-O5
AG
Back with another fairly beginner question.

When building a 300BLK, I understand that only the barrel and mags need to be changed from a standard .223/.556 setup. However looking at the barrels for 300blk it looks like most barrels have a pistol length gas system; does a pistol length gas system affect the requirements for any of the other components (like the buffer tube)?

After my first build I'm officially hooked, but want to change things up a bit for my next one. Any other general commentary for a 300blk build is more than welcome as well.
The Wonderer
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

When building a 300BLK, I understand that only the barrel and mags need to be changed from a standard .223/.556 setup. However looking at the barrels for 300blk it looks like most barrels have a pistol length gas system; does a pistol length gas system affect the requirements for any of the other components (like the buffer tube)?

After my first build I'm officially hooked, but want to change things up a bit for my next one. Any other general commentary for a 300blk build is more than welcome as well.
1) you can use 5.56/.223 mags for 300BO. Just don't fill them to 30 rounds. The sweet spot for my mags is 27 rounds.

2) you might have to work with different weight buffers, but I use carbine buffers in my pistols and SBRs without issue.
BenderRodriguez
AG
GigemCO2008 said:

Binary triggers, D60s and cheap AR parts means its never been easier to build a modern Light Automatic Rifle.

Daddy-O5
AG
The Wonderer said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

1) you can use 5.56/.223 mags for 300BO. Just don't fill them to 30 rounds. The sweet spot for my mags is 27 rounds.

2) you might have to work with different weight buffers, but I use carbine buffers in my pistols and SBRs without issue.
Great feedback, much appreciated. Follow up question:

Are there any preferred lower/upper receivers/barrels for 300BLK v .223/.556 or are they all viewed the same? Is a quality receiver a quality receiver no matter what round you're putting through it?

The Wonderer
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

The Wonderer said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

Great feedback, much appreciated. Follow up question:

Are there any preferred lower/upper receivers/barrels for 300BLK v .223/.556 or are they all viewed the same? Is a quality receiver a quality receiver no matter what round you're putting through it?

Quality is quality. The barrel is all that changes, so if you have a quality upper receiver and quality barrel, you should be good to go.
Ronyaria
Which sight is good for this rifle? I am thinking about such nightvision like the one from http://www.atncorp.com/nightvision-weapon-sights for example. Do you have some experience with it, by any chance? I would appreciate any input on the matter, thanks in advance!
Naveronski
AG
Ronyaria said:

Which sight is good for this rifle?

It depends.

What are you wanting to do with it?
How long of a range are you wanting to shoot?
What is your budget?
Do you have any eye issues (corrective lenses, etc)?
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
I'm also in the planning phases for a 300 blk SBR build. What is the ideal barrel length if I'm eventually wanting to run it with a suppressor?

Also like mentioned before, any tips or advice on a 300 blk SBR would be much appreciated.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
IIRC, the 300blk was designed to be used with an 11" barrel.

Since one of the biggest draws for the round is how well it performs suppressed,I would get the suppressor and get the forms going for it as soon as possible (along with the forms for your lower). Most people also suggest building it (on a different lower) as a pistol while you are waiting on your stamp for the SBR lower.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.