Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,136 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great looking build. I'm sure it will shoot great.

If I can make a suggestion, move the scope mount up a couple of notches on the rail if you are happy with the eye relief. I would get the mount away from the adjustment knobs.
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's a 223 wylde chamber and I'll move that, didn't think about
87IE
AG
I am close to being finished completing a stripped lower and have run into a problem.

I haven't been able to get the roll pin for the trigger guard started. I've tried a couple different punches but it's been a SOB. Are there any tricks? I've seen a youtube video where they used a C-Clamp but have also heard not to do that.

Have any of y'all used one of the screw in guards like this one? I imagine the threads of the screws cut into the aluminum receiver.

Thanks.. I'm waiting for the stock to come in and that's the only thing I'm missing to slap it on my 6.8 upper. I have one more lower to build that I'm going to use as a 5.56 pistol if I can ever get to Houston to talk to Eyeguy about building the upper for me.
TexasAggies06
AG
I have used multiple screw-in trigger guards and love them. One less roll pin is always a positive in my book.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I use vice grips on all the pins I can. Wrap the ends in tape if you're worried about scratches. I hate using punches
The Wonderer
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I use vice grips on all the pins I can. Wrapped the ends in tape if you're worried about scratches. I hate using punches
Same here. Pliers to install, punches to remove.
87IE
AG

Quote:

I have used multiple screw-in trigger guards and love them. One less roll pin is always a positive in my book.
Good to know.. I think I may get one for the pistol lower.

Quote:

I use vice grips on all the pins I can. Wrapped the ends in tape if you're worried about scratches. I hate using punches
I'll try again using vise grips. I've already nicked up a couple spots.

Thanks for the replies.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I won't lie to you, my ARs all have a few little marks from me putting them together.

I don't mind it. I'm working on my own guns and not building safe queens
BenderRodriguez
AG
So they already sold out, but PA had Windham factory guns (the people who used to own Bushmaster, IIRC) on closeout for $399 this morning.

May be the lowest I've ever seen a "quality" factory rifle priced for.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Local shop took almost all damn day for a state inspection and oil change so shooting this damn rifle still eludes me.

Soon dammit soon.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Local shop took almost all damn day for a state inspection and oil change

i would have killed someone.....
CharlieBrown17
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Rifle is in the trunk. There's still time

*NSA THIS IS A JOKE YOU SPYING *******S
txyaloo
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Wonder if he's at Quicker Sticker
dubi
AG
txyaloo said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Or parked in front of my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
txyaloo
AG
dubi said:

txyaloo said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Or parked in front of my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope it doesn't flood!
Bazooka Joe
AG
Bazooka Joe said:

Mines getting close too. Hope to show it in a week or so. I'm out next week hunting, so it may stretch into a couple weeks. Those who have offered advice will see items they recognize.

Okay, I got home from a spectacular hunting trip to South Texas Thursday night. All of the AR parts I had ordered before Christmas were waiting for me when I got home (for the most part). I'm a complete newb to the AR scene so about 99% of my AR knowledge came from this thread.

Binder put me on the optics and Eye Guy found my forward quad rail. Thanks guys. Now I just need to take it out and shoot. Here it is:

The parts list is pretty simple:
Started out as a DPMS Oracle 308 then added/swapped out:
LimbSaver Snap-on Recoil Pad
Magpul 25 Rd Magazine
Brownell 6.5" FF Quad
Grip-Pod LE Polimer Bi-Pod
CCOP MNT-1516 High Profile AR-ArmourTac Rifle
Scope Mount Rings
VLTOR 7.62 Charging Handle
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x Scope

Oh, and the anyone wondering how the hunt went...

Hell of a week for me!!

TX_COWDOC
AG
Nice Nilgai! What'd you shoot it with?

Check yourself for ticks by the way!
Bazooka Joe
AG
Thanks! It was the trip of a lifetime for me. I used a Browning A Bolt with a Leupold VX3 4.5-10x.

Edit to add 30-06.
jackie childs
still contemplating my first AR...too many choices.

I've ruled out a complete build, and I'm leaning toward buying a completed rifle. was planning to spend around $1k, but flexible.

I've got a friend who just won a Daniel Defense M4V11 in a raffle. He's got a couple of other AR's and knows I've been looking, so he told me he'd sell it to me for $1,200. I looked them up and they're a bit more at most stores.

Anybody have experience with it and, if so, should I jump on it? Any issues I need to consider?

Naveronski
AG
jackie childs said:

I've ruled out a complete build, and I'm leaning toward buying a completed rifle. was planning to spend around $1k, but flexible.

I've got a friend who just won a Daniel Defense M4V11 in a raffle. He's got a couple of other AR's and knows I've been looking, so he told me he'd sell it to me for $1,200. I looked them up and they're a bit more at most stores.

Anybody have experience with it and, if so, should I jump on it? Any issues I need to consider?

Jump on it.

Price is fair, and it's a great rifle.
jackie childs
Naveronski said:

Jump on it.

Price is fair, and it's a great rifle.
Awesome, thanks!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Agreed by a lot. I enjoy building mine and DD is one of the few rifles I'd consider buying.
Bazooka Joe
AG
jackie childs said:

You're exactly where I was 6 months ago. Look up a couple of posts for my completed AR10. This was a completed gun that I tinkered with. The same DPMS AR15 Oracle is available for $550 all over the place and is a very affordable completed AR. That's what I did and it worked out as a great entry level AR for me.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ehhh that'd be fine if you were getting just to tinker but if you've ruled out a build and want to spend around 1K that DD is the best route imo
Bazooka Joe
AG
Maybe so. I based my post on a $1k budget and maybe starting with a completed gun. If all you want to spend is $1k, you may want to lower your starting price point to allow for optics and other accessories which can add up quick.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Different people view the set budget different ways. I'm working on a build now. My budget was $1500, but I wasn't including optics in that budget (and still will probably end up busting that budget some). For me, I've always heard "spend as much on your optics as you do on your rifle", so I've never thought of the rifle's optics as being part of the budget. If so, I would have to split the price. $500, while not impossible, is a very tight budget for an AR.
Duncan Idaho
DatTallArchitect said:

Different people view the set budget different ways. I'm working on a build now. My budget was $1500, but I wasn't including optics in that budget (and still will probably end up busting that budget some). For me, I've always heard "spend as much on your optics as you do on your rifle", so I've never thought of the rifle's optics as being part of the budget. If so, I would have to split the price. $500, while not impossible, is a very tight budget for an AR.
that rule of thumb might have worked when all the optics were made by hand in japan, Austria or in the states. but you can get scopes out of china or the Philippines that blow this out of the water
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah 400 or so for a scope gets you more than a quality piece of glass nowadays.

Will I eventually own a more expensive scope? Probably. Will I need said more expensive scope? Probably not.

ETA I do have an ACOG but it was inherited and not bought by me. It's a dandy piece of equipment though
MTxTwelve
Visited the child a while back

FDE n' glowsticks

Astroag
AG
can we get a rundown of those ^^^^^

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
AverageJones
AG
Should have all the parts in for my first AR build this week. Starting to look at the tools I'll need to put it together, does anyone have a list of what I'll need to pick up/ best places to buy?
Mr. Dubi
MTxTwelve said:

Visited the child a while back

Damn that's a long can!
CTGilley
AG
Punches and a hammer.
Some screw drives/allen/hex depending on the kit.
Pliers with tapped jaws.

If you are installing the barrel and armors wrench is handy and a vise block

I use a torque wrench. some say it is not needed and that is probably true but I have one so why not.

Also if Mil-Spec you will probably want to polish the trigger.

Oh and my most important tool is a card board box to assemble the smaller lower parts. Decent size so it is not hard to work in but catches any detents or springs that do not want to behave. Also a stiff business card or thin piece of plastic a razorblade works well for installing the front take down pin detent.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Razorblade works well for the detent as well.
CTGilley
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Razorblade works well for the detent as well.
I feel stupid now. I dig a business card out of my wallet when I always have a razorblade sitting on my work bench.

Thank you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.