Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,107 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I almost went with a 16.5" of another brand but the ALGs went on sale so I went that way with it. I dislike exposed barrel on ARs, it just doesn't look as good to me.

The carbine I posted earlier will probably get a 12 or 13" handguard eventually.

I like that setup you posted, very slick
35chililights
AG
I have a competition this fall that i've been invited to be the 'carbine' partner to the long range guy. I'm expected to engage steel from 0 to 500 yards. All I have at the moment in a caliber I want to use (.223) is that 16" in the prior photo. I still have that red dot on it that you see on it, as well.

My question is, how can I get that rig hitting steel out at 500 yards with minimal upgrades?
Im considering some cheap vortex glass, and mounting that red dot at a 45 degree. I've not run a setup like that. Thoughts?

CharlieBrown17
AG
I can ring a 8" wide by 12" tall steel out to 400 (farthest range I've tried) with my carbine and a Primary Arms ACSS 4x scope pretty consistently. If I was using something other than XM855 I would probably be hitting almost every time. Right now its probably 7 of 10.
jeremy360
quote:
FWIW I strongly second all the points EyeGuy makes regarding the 6.8. He built me one a couple months ago and it is freaking sweet.

Unless you just really want to run suppressed or do an SBR for your first gun, I don't see a huge point in the 300. Don't get me wrong, great round, but suppressed/short barrel applications is where it really distinguishes itself.

The 556 is a nice, fast, versatile and readily available round. If you plan to be shooting a ton, price of ammo is certainly something to think about.

6.8 is much more expensive to shoot but shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're just running through it by the 100s every weekend (in which case I'm supremely jealous). Like EyeGuy said, the additional oomph you're gonna get out of the 6.8 is nice as well. You'll be shooting 120ish gr bullets instead of 55-62. Those same heavier bullets will still be really cooking out to 250-300 yards and beyond that very very capable of taking most game in the hands of a competent shooter. 6.8 is no 6.5 Grendel but it has some very above average ballistics.

Oh and see Rule 1 compliance below on my 6.8

Is this the standard eye guy armadillo? Or loaded with other options? Wasnt a representative pic on website. Will prob give eyeguy a call tomorrow.
35chililights
AG
Never mind. I just looked at the rules. I can run only one optical sight. I guess i'll pull off that 1-6x24 I have on my 300blk. Or maybe I'll buy a new scope... Or maybe...

It. Never. Ends.
Satellite of Love
quote:
Had a good day at the range yesterday breaking in the new 10.5" pistol. Black guns are fun.

Bender, I have a dumb question about your pistols:
1. Are you allowed to have a butt stock on them? Some of the sites I was ready said no and that is considered a SBR....then again it is internet lawyering....
2. Are forward grips allowed on ar pistols?

I appreciate any insight because building on of those little guys I can see doing in the near future! Thanks!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Iffffff you were to go with a new optic....

My choices would either this or this
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Most of what you see there is standard minus the Harris bipod and glass. Paid a little extra for the cerakote, billet option on the lower and Magpul furniture. The stuff EyeGuy puts in his standard Armadillo series builds are first rate compared to what you'll get stock anywhere else and at a very competitive price point.

Naveronski
AG
As pictured, his is a rifle, with the sig brace not being considered a stock.

Not a vertical grip, no.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What makes it a rifle? If the sig brace doesn't matter (unless you shoulder it - according to this thread) why is it considered a rifle?

35chililights
AG
quote:
Iffffff you were to go with a new optic....

My choices would either this or this
That strike eagle is what i put on top my 300blk. For 300 bucks, its pretty damned good.
35chililights
AG
quote:
What makes it a rifle? If the sig brace doesn't matter (unless you shoulder it - according to this thread) why is it considered a rifle?

I think you two might be talking about different guns.

The top on is considered an SBR - shorter barrel than 16" OR under 26" overall, but has a butt stock and vertical forward grip.
The middle is a pistol - it has a SIG brace, not a butt stock and no vertical forward grip, but is under a 16" barrel OR under 26" overall.
The lower is a bullpen design - it pulls the barrel back to get a smaller overall length but keeps the barrel longer than 16". It is has a 16.5" barrel and has an overall length of 26.1".
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Gotcha ... Yeah I was talking about the second AR, just above the Tavor, with the sig brace.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So on the pistol, you're not allowed to have the forward vertical grip? Unless you declare it a SBR, right?

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Angled is ok, however.
35chililights
AG
Makes perfect sense, these laws. Based on logic and everything.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
quote:

I think you two might be talking about different guns.

The top on is considered an SBR - shorter barrel than 16" OR under 26" overall, but has a butt stock and vertical forward grip.
The middle is a pistol - it has a SIG brace, not a butt stock and no vertical forward grip, but is under a 16" barrel OR under 26" overall.
The lower is a bullpen design - it pulls the barrel back to get a smaller overall length but keeps the barrel longer than 16". It is has a 16.5" barrel and has an overall length of 26.1".

Actually the top gun isn't an SBR. It's a 16" midlength, but its in dissipator configuration, which is why the front sight post is so far forward and makes it look funny.

It's a great gun.

The others pretty much answered the questions you have I think, but if they missed anything feel free to ask again. Sorry if I missed anything.
35chililights
AG
That's weird. It messes with my eyes.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Dissipators are a little weird, but I like them.

I'm a little weird too, so it's a good fit.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's so weird and also scary. I am concerned the knowledge of most LEOs on these laws is not up to par.

That being said, I don't really have any reason to have any encounters with the law so I guess it's not an issue, for me.
FrontPorchAg
Never break two laws at the same time and you will be ok.
Satellite of Love
Thanks for the clarification everyone.
Naveronski
AG
quote:

Sorry, typo. Meant to say it is not a rifle.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Since this thread seems to have been well received:

I've been toying with the idea of starting a "get better at shooting pistols" thread for discussion and maybe to do a drill of the month challenge, where OB pistol shooters can try out some different shooting drills/work on improving their pistol shooting.

Thoughts?

And yes, this shift of interest back to pistols brought to you by my latest handgun purchase.
maverick2076
I'd love this. I've read a couple of books lately that have given me techniques that have improved my shooting (both speed and accuracy) and I would love to continue that.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So i have a dilemma. I was gifted an Oden works 9.5" free float key mod upper. It looks freaking sweet on my build BUT.... when i assembled it the gas block is at the end of the forend. I would assume this doesnt matter functionally but astetically it could look better i guess.

My question is, do they make an extenaion piece that i could add on to the end of my forend in order to cover the gas block and cover additional length of the barrel. TIA
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
So i have a dilemma. I was gifted an Oden works 9.5" free float key mod upper. It looks freaking sweet on my build BUT.... when i assembled it the gas block is at the end of the forend. I would assume this doesnt matter functionally but astetically it could look better i guess.

My question is, do they make an extenaion piece that i could add on to the end of my forend in order to cover the gas block and cover additional length of the barrel. TIA

Low profile block with a longer handguard are your options I believe.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I realize a longer forend is best case scenario but it isnt in the budget.
The Wonderer
AG
Most guards aren't threaded; they use Allen machine screws for end plates. Is your block a flat top with a rail even with the guard?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
[URL=.html][/URL]

This is what im working with
The Wonderer
AG
I think you're stuck with that as is other than changing the handguard. I think it looks pretty good though. Kind of a step down look as opposed to the bare block exposed completely. If you ever build a pistol, that handguard would be a good carry over and you can put a longer one on the rifle.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That was my thought as well but more leaning toward sbr rather than pistol most likely.

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]
The Wonderer
AG
Only difference between a pistol and SBR is a $200 ransom to the BATFE and a stock.

I went the Sig Brace (5.56) and KAK Blade (.300 blk) route instead. Not paying the ransom allowed for another weapon build.

The only reason I will SBR one of my lowers is to install a folding buffer tube mount, but those are nearly $200 themselves. So nearly $400 for an SBR folder and I already have a Scorpion Evo going the SBR route with the CZ 922r kit that will be shorter than any truly function AR can get anyway.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Those of you who have way more experience than I... vertical, angled or hand stop? I think im leaning angled
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I like angled on longer rifles... vertical or angled on shorter ones.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.