Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,161 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I would skip the Choate stock. They're pretty terrible. Mine is sitting in my parts bin.

Since you have an RS, you can run an A3, but I think the best option for a folder on the 9X guns is a B&T. They're well worth the extra few hundred over a Choate.
Just wish that B&T had a US made option for 922r compliance. The one benefit of the Choate.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
I would skip the Choate stock. They're pretty terrible. Mine is sitting in my parts bin.

Since you have an RS, you can run an A3, but I think the best option for a folder on the 9X guns is a B&T. They're well worth the extra few hundred over a Choate.
Just wish that B&T had a US made option for 922r compliance. The one benefit of the Choate.
I completely understand why some people strictly follow 922r, but I've never been one of those folks for my personal guns. If I have BATFE looking closely enough at one of my guns to prosecute me for a 922r violation, I likely will have bigger issues to deal with. I don't know of anyone that's been charged under 922r as a stand alone offense.

Hesse use to make a B&T clone that folded to the left instead of right, but they were pretty poorly made.
CW Griswold
quote:
quote:
I want to get a 7.62 semi at some point. Any recommendations comparing AR-10, G3 or FAL clones? Or something else I haven't considered.

Oh, I'm going to ruffle some feathers on this one... I'll elaborate later more, but here it goes. There are some exceptions to every rule but in general how I'd rate them (haven't owned all, but have shot all 4)

Accuracy and Customizability: AR-10>G3>FAL/M1A

Reliability: G3>FAL/M1A/AR-10

Magazine reliability/availability: AR-10/G3>FAL/M1A

Ergonomics: AR-10>G3/FAL/M1A

If you want the best overall option, the parts available for the AR-10 make it the clear winner, even without adding in magazine availability and other advantages, not to mention familiarity if you're an AR-15 shooter.

Out of the old school options I far prefer the G3. Super easy to customize with a variety of stock and handguards options, the new models come with a top rail so they're easy to mount optics on, a randomly selected rack G3 will likely be more accurate than a random rack FAL or M1A. Magazines are cheaper, more available and very reliable, and the gun is just rugged. G3s do not have the same name brand recognition or sentiment attached to it in the US as the M1A. G3 has better sights than the FAL (M1A is on par), G3 is lighter and shorter, which is nice if you're going to carry it around or hog hunt with it.

My opinion. Others will be along to yell about anyone disparaging the M1A shortly.

Very helpful post Bender. Definitely confirms my personal bias in favor of the AR platform. Before I take the plunge I do want to get some range time with the rifles. Next step is finding a place where I can rent these.
LSB_2002
AG
Academy ad has the Bushmaster with red-dot scope on sale for $699. The DPMS is on sale for $499.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Roller madness continues.

MROD92
Best thread on TA, thanks for all the great info
txyaloo
AG
Just a Memorial Day meeting of the well regulated militia.

35chililights
AG
Hey Bender, you gonna hop on the SP5K waiting list?

I was going to SBR a quarter circle 10 dedicated 9mm glock mag lower, but now I'm even more torn.

major first world problem here.
testosterbone
AG
quote:
Great gun, especially for the price. I do have a couple in store if you happen to be down my way.

How much are you letting them go for?
RebelE Infantry
AG
Nice! Please tell me you plan to SBR this bad boy.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
Great gun, especially for the price. I do have a couple in store if you happen to be down my way.

How much are you letting them go for?
$799. One left
RebelE Infantry
AG
Sort of thread related- do you have any SilencerCo specwar/omega flash hiders (7.62) in stock? Also, what's your price and lead time for the vortex Sparc AR?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I will get back on this tomorrow.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Best thread on TA, thanks for all the great info

Glad you enjoyed it! Now go buy some more evil black rifles.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Nice! Please tell me you plan to SBR this bad boy.

Absolutely. Already have the meat tenderizer stock for my full size, so it's going to be a G3kA4 clone.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Hey Bender, you gonna hop on the SP5K waiting list?

I was going to SBR a quarter circle 10 dedicated 9mm glock mag lower, but now I'm even more torn.

major first world problem here.

Nope, already have a reverse stretch clone, and I have some other roller projects in the works. (That G3k I'm SBRing is going to be a Goldilocks gun, if that gives you any hints)
Triad
AG
I got my second a few weeks ago.

35chililights
AG
What do you think of that price point? Surely it'll fall from that level, right?
txyaloo
AG
quote:
What do you think of that price point? Surely it'll fall from that level, right?
Eyeguy offered to do a group buy on them at IIRC $1600 if he could get 10 people to buy. That's a great deal if he can get the price that low.

NIB SP89s go for 3-4x that.
35chililights
AG
I'd be in on that deal. And while the price of those are high, will they continue to be with this being imported? I dunno.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Not sure if they'll change... Zenith is rather proud of their pricing. I had to beat the hell out of them on pricing several times because they were doing some stupid "dealer pricing is 10% less than MAP" crap. Was like, no, I am not interested at all in doing it at that price point.
35chililights
AG
How many more do you require to reach the 1600 price point?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Other than PSA and Texian, what website do you guys look on to buy well made, affordable parts?

I have already bought my bcg, charging handle and complete lower with magpul furniture.

TIA
RebelE Infantry
AG
I'm a fan of Rainier Arms if I'm buying online.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Primary Arms in Pearland runs some good sales once or twice a month and ships really quickly
texags08
AG
Red Barn Armory is also good. They are in Manvel
txyaloo
AG
quote:
I'd be in on that deal. And while the price of those are high, will they continue to be with this being imported? I dunno.
Good question, and I wonder the same.

I expect the prices will stay higher on the SP89 since they're "original" imports. It'll be interesting to see if the market shifts.

If these SP89s sell well, I could see HK trying to bring back the HK94 also. They already have a plant in the US and could manufacture key parts here to get around the German export ban and US import ban. That could completely tank the market for "pre-ban" roller locks, but I could still see guys paying a premium for the older, all German guns with the appropriate German proof marks. This is one reason prices are so high still for genuine HKs compared to the newer clones that run just as well.

As Bender has found, roller locks are a sickness. They're like a bag of potato chips. You can't have just one. Eventually you'll have enough to need a roller lock safe.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Other than PSA and Texian, what website do you guys look on to buy well made, affordable parts?

I have already bought my bcg, charging handle and complete lower with magpul furniture.

TIA
Primary Arms - you will have to pay tax if you're in Texas but prices are good.
AIM Surplus
APEX Gun Parts
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I saw primary arms, anything to avoid on there. Some of there uppers seemed way too cheap
maverick2076
JoeBob Outfitters, Geaux Armory, www.slickguns.com
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
As Bender has found, roller locks are a sickness. They're like a bag of potato chips. You can't have just one. Eventually you'll have enough to need a roller lock safe.

Very much so.

I honestly don't know what prices are going to do on either the new HK imports or the foreign imports. Some people find it really, really important to own stuff actually made by HK, but considering how many clones I've seen run with full auto sears, abused the heck out of and still running I'm less fussy about it than a lot of the HK kool aide drinkers. My biggest excitement about the HK imports is that maybe it'll drive clone pricing down, to be honest.

35chililights
AG
As far as websites go, it really depends on the part. A lot of times the manufacture will have it cheaper ( or at least in stock) than other retailers.

Current build saw parts from
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

https://www.rainierarms.com/

https://www.jprifles.com/

http://yhm.net

http://www.brownells.com

http://slrrifleworks.com

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/

http://www.selwayarmory.com/

https://www.santantactical.com/

When the Form 1 finally gets approved (filed on Feb 3rd), and I assemble it, I'll post up a pic.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
I saw primary arms, anything to avoid on there. Some of there uppers seemed way too cheap
All good stuff. The cheap Radical Firearms uppers are made in Texas and generally work well.

Just know you'll pay sales tax on anything you buy from PA, but most orders are delivered next day. If you're in Houston, you can drive down to Pearland and pick up your order.
MROD92
Anyone have a good contact on where to have a lower shipped in San Antonio and approximate price?
bearamedic99
AG
quote:
quote:

Very much so.

I honestly don't know what prices are going to do on either the new HK imports or the foreign imports. Some people find it really, really important to own stuff actually made by HK, but considering how many clones I've seen run with full auto sears, abused the heck out of and still running I'm less fussy about it than a lot of the HK kool aide drinkers. My biggest excitement about the HK imports is that maybe it'll drive clone pricing down, to be honest.

Sorry for the noob question but what is a roller lock versus a normal AR?

Also, I have a 16in AR15 from stag arms that I think needs a light to investigate strange noises in the dark now that we are living semi-rural. I may have heard my first fisher tonight or the alarm call of a fox while my cat is outside and reports of a large black bear nearby; I went outside with my two GSDs (even though the ***** has only 3 legs) and my AR with a flashlight held along the handguard. Crazy, crazy noise.

The handguard on my AR has no holes or railing so I likely will buy a handguard to match the light and would prefer a light in the 700-1100 lumen range. Any recs for $100 to $150?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.