Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,117 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Do you have a Dillo branded forged upper, or is all your stuff billet?

Had to read that one twice.
FiTxAg04
AG
Will do. Probably won't build it up until at least then anyway. Thanks.
jpb1999
AG
Any input on AR pistol questions?
BenderRodriguez
AG
7.5" is basically "toy" area with 5.56.

I built that exact PSA kit into this:

10.5" is the way to go with 5.56.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
You can go shorter with 9mm and 300blk because both use faster burning powders... a 7" pistol 223/556 has a good chunk of unwasted powder.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks for info! Decided to pull trigger on the PSA kit.

Bender, what butt stock is that and what rear sight did you use?
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's a sig "brace"

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/sigtac-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace.html?_iv_code=2ST-WS-SB15STABLZ-173740&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CjwKEAjwubK4BRC1xczKrZyj3mkSJAC6ntgr8PYweHmuDpFsoHZdkgeOstZQ_hdVHfqf-hcOubwewxoC8P7w_wcB
CharlieBrown17
AG
Also I'll probably be in for a forged dillo lower/upper for a pistol build at some point
BenderRodriguez
AG
Sig brace, DD 1.5 fixed rear.

You can't put w stock on an upper under 16" without paying a tax stamp and making an SBR first.
Dr. Faustus
AG

Figured I'd contribute a photo to the thread. Recently finished 11.5" SBR build on a Texian Firearms class year lower.
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:

Figured I'd contribute a photo to the thread. Recently finished 11.5" SBR build on a Texian Firearms class year lower.
My upper is still sitting in the safe with half the parts waiting on me to get home.

Eyeguy did my step dad ever email you about getting lower after it got back from your machinist? They just had a kid so they've been a mess recently.
TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
7.5" is basically "toy" area with 5.56.

I built that exact PSA kit into this:

10.5" is the way to go with 5.56.

Ummmm...no
ashleyschaeffer
Thread was an inspiration. Ordered a 6920 OEM2 and some separate furniture. Hope to put it all together next week.
CanyonAg77
AG
If this thread wasn't enough inspiration, the lawsuit against Bushmaster was allowed to proceed today. Cue gif of Joker "... And here we go..."
BenderRodriguez
AG
10.5" is the way to go......no?

Or 7.5" is a toy.....no?

By all means feel free to explain your objection and actually contribute to the thread.

Or just be snarky.

Whichever.

MasterAggie
AG
quote:
Just to illustrate how many options you have with an AR, here's a couple of pictures:

From left to right: 5.45x39, 5.56x45, 300 BLK, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC.

and one more just to show of the heavy hitters:

Left to right: 5.56x45, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf.
There are a lot more options out there especially if you are a reloader.
dodger02
AG
Nothing wrong with toys.

Nealthedestroyer
AG
quote:
If this thread wasn't enough inspiration, the lawsuit against Bushmaster was allowed to proceed today. Cue gif of Joker "... And here we go..."
It will get thrown out in federal court.
Mr. Dubi
quote:
quote:
I am bery circumspect to this argument with the pansy assed liberal tone of today's society.
35chililights
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I am bery circumspect to this argument with the pansy assed liberal tone of today's society.
I agree. It'll only get tossed if there is enough squeaky wheels of opposition. Otherwise they will likely allow it. Hell, look at the healthcare 'tax'. I would have guessed that would have been struck down with a flaming sword, but here we are.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry guys, didn't mean to deflect into politics. Only meant to serve notice that the anti-AR forces are flexing their muscles, which means a potential for panic, which means this might be a time to get serious about your build.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
Sorry guys, didn't mean to deflect into politics. Only meant to serve notice that the anti-AR forces are flexing their muscles, which means a potential for panic, which means this might be a time to get serious about your build.

Good thing I picked up a grey Spikes matched receiver set on the cheap last time I was down at Primary Arms in Pearland.
Chainsaw07
AG
What's the difference between phosphate finish barrel and melonite finish? I'm looking at these two from PSA.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-socom-melonite-freedom-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html
Moon Shadow
What I've never been able to understand is the insistence of AR manufacturers to make, or use, a barrel with the cut to attach the grenade launcher. Probably due to using Govt contract over-run barrels, but totally useless in a civilian AR.
texags08
AG
quote:
What I've never been able to understand is the insistence of AR manufacturers to make, or use, a barrel with the cut to attach the grenade launcher. Probably due to using Govt contract over-run barrels, but totally useless in a civilian AR.
There is a market out there for people that want to replicate the M4 as much as possible. Some people go as far as drilling the pin hole for an auto sear. But i agree that it is pointless.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

Some people like building clones of what the military uses, and others are likely overruns as you guessed. And some people just don't know/care about barrel contours.

I know a few guys who wanted to recreate what they carried in Iraq or Afghanistan, which for some meant cloning an M4.

Speaking of clones, this is going to be turned into an M16A4 clone when all the parts come in. I just like the look of the A4.

bearamedic99
AG
If stripped AR15 lowers are going for around $50, how about stripped lowers for AR10s?
arrow
AG
Here's how my Colt 6920-oem2 turned out:

I added Daniel Defense components:
-Stock and Hand Grip
-Omega 9 rail
-Rock & Lock Sight Combo

This rifle is so much fun to shoot. I shouldn't have put off an AR for so long. I'm not an experienced iron sight shooter, but I was pleasantly surprised with the rifle's accuracy with Federal's 55 gr FMJs.

I plan to add a light and a true 1X scope down the road.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Hard to find. I am usually about 2 months out on backorders for Aero 308 lowers. I keep ordering a couple every two weeks, even if I don't need them to make sure I have a supply in
gibberish
AG
quote:
Here's how my Colt 6920-oem2 turned out:

I added Daniel Defense components:
-Stock and Hand Grip
-Omega 9 rail
-Rock & Lock Sight Combo

This rifle is so much fun to shoot. I shouldn't have put off an AR for so long. I'm not an experienced iron sight shooter, but I was pleasantly surprised with the rifle's accuracy with Federal's 55 gr FMJs.

I plan to add a light and a true 1X scope down the road.
Nicely done arrow.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Daniel defense Stock and pistol grip that I kept them on my DDM4 V5lw, originally thought I would change them out.

And of course the Omega rails are solid!
BenderRodriguez
AG
So it's a crappy picture, but the 20" rifle I picked up from Eyeguy this weekend is slowly turning into an A4 clone. Got the KAC R5 installed last night....should have the sling and magazine pouch in hand tomorrow.

Now to save up for an ACOG.

Replaced with a slightly better picture:

Brad_97
AG
Arrow - that's exactly what I'm looking at doing. Nice looking rifle. Do you mind sharing your sources and final cost?

Can also email at txsaggie97 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks.
IDAGG
AG
quote:
I agree with your premise. It won't take much to get another panic buying spree going. Not going to get into politics much here either, but a certain combo of candidates in the general election will absolutely cause a panic buy. Maybe I should buy a stripped lower just in case. Would be cheap insurance.
arrow
AG
quote:
Arrow - that's exactly what I'm looking at doing. Nice looking rifle. Do you mind sharing your sources and final cost?

Can also email at txsaggie97 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks.
The oem2 and Omega 9 rail were difficult for me to find so I may have overpaid a bit for each of them. Regardless, I'm happy and got exactly what I wanted. These prices don't include tax, shipping, or ffl transfer fee.

Colt oem2 - Gunbroker - $765
DD Omega 9 Rail - Grab-A-Gun - $224
DD Stock - Midway USA - $66

Complete Rifle - $1055

DD Pistol Grip - Midway USA - $28
DD Sight Combo - Midway USA - $119
Magpul G2 Mag - Midway USA - $12
Magpul G3 Window Mag - Midway USA - $16

Everything excluding ammo - $1230

500 Rd Federal 55 gr FMJ - Wideners - $171
agfan2013
AG
How much did that set you back Bender? I've already got two ARs so I havent really been looking into adding another but I always figured if I did buy a third it would just be a military clone with only irons that I would use to get better with my fundamentals.

I know I can buy some cheap stuff from PSA and I already have an A2 stock so if I could keep the cost down it may be something I consider. Might not be a bad investment if we do see a price run up and then I could unload it for a profit while still having two for myself in the safe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.