Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

493,670 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Mantis Toboggan MD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yea, I'm planning on setting up a trust within the next couple months to get the ball moving. I'm really not in a huge rush for the build given the wait.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Go with an 8.5 or 9" barrel. The 300 blk cartridge was optimized to go as short as 8.5
Naveronski
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

I'm also in the planning phases for a 300 blk SBR build. What is the ideal barrel length if I'm eventually wanting to run it with a suppressor?

Also like mentioned before, any tips or advice on a 300 blk SBR would be much appreciated.

9"
tlepoC
AG
I started my first build after months of having the parts. Failure at step 1

Magazine catch doesn't fit. It's binding. Going to either have to shave or buy new part? Hopefully its the catch out of spec and not the aero lower.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Aggierific said:

Magazine catch doesn't fit. It's binding. Going to either have to shave or buy new part? Hopefully its the catch out of spec and not the aero lower.
Where is it binding? You sure you're installing it correctly? They're kind of a pain in the ass, and there's a trick to getting them in.
tlepoC
AG
Most videos I watch show it quite loose. As soon as I started putting it in it was really tight. Tapped it in to seat it and now I can't get it to budge. Pushing on screw from opposite side pushes the Barrell side out but stock side is stuck solid. I don't see how something isnt out of spec with how tight it is. Seems to be binding at the stock side where the little circular raised part is on the lower.

Aero lower and GI parts kit from ke arms. One of texian's packaged deals from a while back.

Update:. Got it out with edge of vise. Tried it in another lower and it definitely seems like mag catch is too big.
Daddy-O5
AG
Thoughts on Spikes lowers? They are carried in a couple of the local stores around me.
txyaloo
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Thoughts on Spikes lowers? They are carried in a couple of the local stores around me.
Good lowers as long as you can live with a dueling ***** roll mark.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Aggierific said:

I ran into this with the lowers we are milling in house. Freaking nightmare. Most likely the mag catch but also look to make sure there aren't any burrs or anything inside the catch. Our first one would only accept gen 3 pmags. Frustrated me to no end. Did some tweaking and I think we have them rolling now but geez, it was a pain.
TxAggies12
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Only lowers I use to build on. Very high quality.
The Wonderer
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

IIRC, the 300blk was designed to be used with an 11" barrel.

Since one of the biggest draws for the round is how well it performs suppressed,I would get the suppressor and get the forms going for it as soon as possible (along with the forms for your lower). Most people also suggest building it (on a different lower) as a pistol while you are waiting on your stamp for the SBR lower.

Designed for 8.5-9".

Get a trust and file your paperwork. The wait times won't be decreasing anytime soon.
Duncan Idaho
which grips do people like? and why?
TxAggies12
Duncan Idaho said:

http://www.primaryarms.com/hogue-ar-15-overmolded-pistol-grip-finger-grooves-black-ho15000

the best feeling grips I've used. I like it better than magpul and ergo
BenderRodriguez
AG
Magpul K2s on my carbines, original K grip on my 10.5" pistol.

Thin, light, prefer a more aggressive angle than the traditional A2 style grip.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Maybe it's just my skin chemistry/sweat, but hogues get...sticky/tacky after a few months for me. Feel great at first then get weird.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
My favorites, and the two I have on several rifles, are the Ergo Grip and the Larue A-Peg. Very different feel to them, but both fit my (large, meaty) hand perfectly. I say try as many as you can, then pick the one that fits your hand the best.
maverick2076
Duncan Idaho said:

MFT grip with 3 different front and back straps. Good texture, adjustable to any hand, has a storage compartment, and is under $30. Its on almost every rifle I build.

http://www.primaryarms.com/mission-first-tactical-engage-ar15-m16-pistol-grip-sets-inter-changeable-front-back-straps-epgi16gy
dr_boogs
AG
Another vote for Ergo.
Chickenhawk
Another vote for hogue.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Newb question here, but does anyone have any experience using Silencerco's "Easy Trust" to set up an NFA trust? Is it a good route to go or is it best to go through an attorney who specializes in NFA trusts?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AGricola08
AG
GigemCO2008 said:

Just gonna leave this here

I now have two of these triggers and can confirm that they are awesome.... tons of fun.... and if you are not looking to mag dump, still very functional for "controlled pairs"
DatTallArchitect
AG
They definitely look awesome! But $480??? Ouch!
DDSO
AG
GigemCO2008 said:

Just gonna leave this here

AGricola08
AG
Ha.. yeah they are not cheap at all, yet still much cheaper than finding a full auto
GeeBee
AG
Anybody else catch in that video that fostech bought Mag Tactical? I guess they're going to start producing their mag alloy lowers again.
aggie4231
AG
Need some optics help.

Currently have the Holosun with ACSS. Also have an older primary arms magnifier.

Have shot this setup before. Got a new mount over the weekend and was testing in the house (unloaded), and without magnifier the triangle/dots were blurry. Also looked at a PA microdot, and same thing.

The only real difference is when I've gone to the range, I was wearing contacts. Last night was wearing glasses. Ive looked through the sights before while wearing glasses, and it was near as blurry.

Any recommendations for a different optic type? So far, it's just for plinking, but it also serves as HD when I'm not out in the field.
Duncan Idaho
isnt' this the astigmatism problem with red dots?
TheVarian
AG
It is a astigmatism. I have it happen with my MRO
CTGilley
AG
My astigmatism gives me some trouble but I can tell the difference between the real dots and the blur. I have less of an issue with a single dot as apposed to a ring or 3dot I have seen optics with blurry sights. I had a non-visually impaired person check it out before I swapped it out.
dubi
AG
TheVarian said:

It is a astigmatism. I have it happen with my MRO

Me too with MRO.
Mr. Dubi
As for red dot roundness my experience with the Bushnell TRS 25 and Burris Fastfire III are much crisper dots than any others I have: MRO, PRO, RMR, Primary Arms Classic or EOTech. The worst is the PA, but at the pricepoint and for what I use it it's no big deal--it sits on my M&P 15-22 for fast action, but I can still hold nickel size groups at 25 yards if I take my time.
TheVarian
AG
Not a bad deal for an MK18

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/mk18-stripped-socom-upper-receiver-w-handguard-only-sku100018030-81194-168713.aspx?sku=100-018-030&avad=avant&aid=152894&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-Custom+Link&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine
Daddy-O5
AG
Any advice on getting cerakote on your rifle? I figure any shop that does cerakote should have a good general idea of what they are doing but you never know.

Lessons learned from having your rifle coated? Suggestions for places to get it done in Houston (Northwest Houston / South Tomball area specifically)?
CTGilley
AG
I have seen good and bad. Kelso does it in BCS. I have seen some of his work and it is very good. He is OCD about making it perfect. I plan to have him do a 1911 once I fit my new sights this weekend. I know Texian uses him also.
dr_boogs
AG
Another vote for skelso. He did my 6.8 and will do my 300 BO next.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.