Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,130 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
aggie4231
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3 & 7 yards. Obviously better at 3yds
aTm96
AG
Hey Bender and Eyeguy, you happen to know of a good lower match to a Seekins upper? Their lowers are pretty pricey so I'm looking for possible alts.
gibberish
AG
aTm96 said:

Hey Bender and Eyeguy, you happen to know of a good lower match to a Seekins upper? Their lowers are pretty pricey so I'm looking for possible alts.
Uhh if the obejective is "match to a Seekins upper" is the answer not Seekins Lower? Was this their Billet or forged?

If billet, you already forked over for their upper, I don't think you are going to be happy with a different lower. But i understand wanting to save some money.

If forged, then any forged lower with roll mark you like.
35chililights
AG
What gibberish said.
Any lower will work, billet of forged.
If you're going for a specific look to the firearm, thats a whole other ballgame.
Mr. Dubi
aTm96 said:

Email me dubi at y mail dot com
ttha_aggie_09
AG
35chililights said:

What gibberish said.
Any lower will work, billet of forged.
If you're going for a specific look to the firearm, thats a whole other ballgame.

Not going to lie, the spiked tactical lowers with the engraved/forged skulls and stuff look awesome
BreNayPop
AG
PSA running gen 2 pmags for 8 dollars each and free shipping with 10 mags.

Code is PMAG
CTGilley
AG
I would split 10 with someone in BCS if anyone else is interested.
Mr. Dubi
BreNayPop said:

PSA running gen 2 pmags for 8 dollars each and free shipping with 10 mags.

Code is PMAG
Have a pretty epic hillary stash, or I might...
BreNayPop
AG
My problem too....
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Had a great day on the range today taking my new AR out. This was my first build and it shot like a champ. Put around 120 rounds through her today and had my irons and vortex zeroed in no time. Here are a few pics from the day. My brother also took his first build out, an AR pistol (he had a nice time shouldering the s*** out of it).

My build:
-Aero precision upper (w/o forward assist) and ambi charging handle
-Aero precision lower
-16" .223 wylde fluted HBAR
-12" free float hand guard w/ BCM kinesthetic angled grip and bipod
-MAGPUL BAD lever
-Deadfoot Arms modified cycling system + folding stock adapter
-Battlelink minimalist stock
-Tactical dynamics skeletonized grip
-45* offset iron sights
-Vortex crossfire II scope
-Streamlight protac rail mounted light w/ BCM offset mount

Overall I'm extremely happy with how my first build turned out. Probably spent a lot more money than I initially intended, but hey, you only have one first build, right? Can't wait to build my next one, I'm thinking suppressed SBR in 300 blackout, but that'll probably be a ways away.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AGricola08
AG
So this isn't exactly an AR question, but here we go anyway. I have upgraded my Kel Tec Sub2k, with a Red Lion Precision forend. The forend solves the problem with putting a sight on the top rail and still being able to fold the Sub2k. The forend attaches via some screws that clamp down on the barrel (not set screws). The instructions say to "tighten basically as tight as you can (by hand)" or to 9 lbs. Using my torque tool, 9 lbs aint ****.... I can definitely tighten more than 9 lbs by hand So tighten as far as you can by hand, or 9 lbs?

For my frame of reference, when attaching a scope/sight to a rail, usually the specs say 20-25 lbs. I don't want to warp the barrel by over tightening.... what kind of pressure would it take to do that?
CactusThomas
AG
Just follow the instructions and tighten very tight by hand. As for your scope rings comment, that was probably inch-lbs as opposed to ft-lb. Torque is not measured in pounds.
AGricola08
AG
Haha. Ah hell, you are totally correct! Just looked at my Wheeler FAT wrench, no wonder that seemed so damn loose. I actually have a true torque wrench too, but not set up for the kind of hardware used on the forend.

Still, how tight is too tight for clamping something on a barrel, just out of curiousity?
Daddy-O5
AG
I've still got a small torque wrench sittting in my tool box, opened but never used for that exact same reason.
CactusThomas
AG
Totally depends on what you are clamping and I'm not familiar with the application you described. Aluminum and plastic can strip very easily. But if the instructions say hand tight is fine, just go with that.
AGricola08
AG
Pics for reference on the clamping mechanism in my earlier posts.....

maverick2076
How do you like the Dead Foot Arms folder?
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
maverick2076 said:

Pricey but it was worth the money IMO. I really like the portability it adds, and it pairs really well with the offset sites when firing from the folded position without the stock. The stock adapter itself is a little bit bulky for my taste, it makes it somewhat awkward to pull back the charging handle on the right side but I don't do that anyway so it's a non-issue. I'd prefer it to be more streamlined, but it's not that big of a deal.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Humble brag on the best wife ever....

My wife tagged me in this video on facebook ( http://www.uptrend.com/gun-guardians/gun-guardians/0qVKa ) with the comment "your daughter in like 7 years"

Well I proceeded to make the joke saying does that mean I can start building her an AR...and wouldn't you know she was like sure go for it!

She even defended it to my mom "it kicks less than my .410 and she can help with hog eradication"

This is how you know you have married right boys!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Poor mans A4 bump.

I should sell a few redundant guns and pick up an ACOG for this thing.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Poor mans A4 bump.

I think... that looks familiar?
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Poor mans A4 bump.

You think right.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

TheEyeGuy said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Poor mans A4 bump.

You think right.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If you decide you really really like the ACSS, primary arms sells an ACOG with it you should buy and let me shoot once or twice.
BroncStomper06
AG
BroncStomper06 said:

Parts list:
Windham Weaponry R16M4SFSMIT
Midwest Industries 15" SS Key Mod FF Rail
Diamondhead BUIS
Magpul MOE Stock and Pistol Grip
Magpul PMAG
Harris Bipod
Vortex Cantilever Mount
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x Scope
As you can see from the pic I posted earlier in the thread, I am using a Harris bipod in the forward-most position on my rail. When folded, the bipod extends a little past the muzzle. Is there any issue in doing so, or should I move the bipod back a little? Conventional wisdom tells me that I would want the bipod as far up on the rail as I can go.
Naveronski
AG
It's fine. Might get dirtier faster, but won't hurt anything.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Naveronski said:

It's fine. Might get dirtier faster, but won't hurt anything.

Yup.
The Wonderer
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

maverick2076 said:

Pricey but it was worth the money IMO. I really like the portability it adds, and it pairs really well with the offset sites when firing from the folded position without the stock. The stock adapter itself is a little bit bulky for my taste, it makes it somewhat awkward to pull back the charging handle on the right side but I don't do that anyway so it's a non-issue. I'd prefer it to be more streamlined, but it's not that big of a deal.
Really want one for an my AR SBR, but good lord at $500. That's more than the cost of the damn pistol it'd be going on.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I thought that too but to be fair that includes their BCG and buffer so it's closer to the LAW
The Wonderer
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I thought that too but to be fair that includes their BCG and buffer so it's closer to the LAW
True. I'll probably end up getting it to mate with my 7" upper and SBR lower, but I'm going to feel a little bit dirty about pay that much for it.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
The Wonderer said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

True. I'll probably end up getting it to mate with my 7" upper and SBR lower, but I'm going to feel a little bit dirty about pay that much for it.
Believe me, I had that dirty feeling too, but it wears off pretty quickly.

I was on the fence about it initially, but DFA ran a promo a few months back that brought it down to ~$400, which made me pull the trigger. So if you're not in a hurry, maybe wait a bit until their next promo.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have a problem... I just bought an FDE lower and now want an FDE upper with free-float rail.

I have no idea what length of barrel I want... I have two already in 16" and a 300blk in 8.5".

I really don't know what the hell I am going to do with it other than have an FDE version of it. I might go the SBR route and put a 10.5" upper on it.

Any suggestions?
aggie_wes
AG
6.8 SPC?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Can you run that through a 5.56 lower?

Maybe I am thinking of the Grendel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.