Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

503,817 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been away from the thread for awhile, so I apologize if this is redundant. A couple ammo questions:

1. For those of you with the .223 / 5.56 setup, do you exclusively stay with one caliber?
2. How different is your range ammo vs. hunting / defense? My local range only wants hollow points at 100+ yds, so that would add up quickly. I don't know a lot about ballistics metrics, etc., so I'm trying to keep it simple.
3. Are there brands / specs to avoid entirely, and once I pick one, should I stay with it exclusively (related to question 2 with ballistics)?
4. Where do you find the best deals on bulk ammo, and what should I expect to pay per round? I know MidwayUSA and PSA, but am I missing a good spot?

My shooting needs are basically going to the range every now and then, hopefully some hog hunting , and home defense.

The Wonderer
AG
Scriffer said:

I've been away from the thread for awhile, so I apologize if this is redundant. A couple ammo questions:

1. For those of you with the .223 / 5.56 setup, do you exclusively stay with one caliber?
No, I use M855 and .223 cheap stuff for plinking

2. How different is your range ammo vs. hunting / defense? My local range only wants hollow points at 100+ yds, so that would add up quickly. I don't know a lot about ballistics metrics, etc., so I'm trying to keep it simple.
See answer for #1; look to Freedom Munitions for reloaded hollow points.

3. Are there brands / specs to avoid entirely, and once I pick one, should I stay with it exclusively (related to question 2 with ballistics)?
I don't like steel case, but that's about it.

4. Where do you find the best deals on bulk ammo, and what should I expect to pay per round? I know MidwayUSA and PSA, but am I missing a good spot?
check out gunbot.net

My shooting needs are basically going to the range every now and then, hopefully some hog hunting , and home defense.

BenderRodriguez
AG
dr_boogs said:

Bender - I'm a lefty and would love a link to the light weight bcg and what you selected as ambi controls of choice.

Also, just got my NFA approval for my sbr, so it's go time for my .300 blk build. Want to make it fairly lightweight too. Would you list out 4-5 parts that I could do quasi-light, most bang for the buck as far as weight goes? I realize I'll be saving a ton of wt w the short barrel so that's a good start.

I know I already gave a general answer, but wanted to follow up with another thought:

Be careful on optics selection.

I'm currently researching optics/mounts for my lightweight build, and out of curiosity got to looking at the 1-4x I shot Cola Warrior with last year...

~23.5 ounces, or almost a pound and a half! Now, I still like 1-4 variables, but didn't realize how heavy mine was. Granted, it's a lower end illuminated one, and there are lighter weight 1-4 scopes and mounts out there...but they cost $$$, and it's easy to add weight to gun quickly with optics and not realize just how heavy you're getting.

I'm looking at a couple of different options for my lightweight build, including a red dot/mount that would weigh in at 5 ounces total...much better.

dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for the reply.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
For general hunting with a 300blk, mainly shooting pigs and an occasional exotic, what's the opinion on:

Supers 110gr - reman or new V-max
Subs 208gr - A-max

Open to suggestions
mts6175
AG
This definitely doesn't fit in the lightweight category.......308 is done.

BreNayPop
AG
mts6175 said:

Thats a gorgeous gun... what scope?
mts6175
AG
BreNayPop said:

mts6175 said:

Thats a gorgeous gun... what scope?
Burris XTR II 5-25x50 with the XT-100 reticle
Scriffer
AG
Much appreciated
230Ag
AG
mts6175 said:

your wife just lets you keep that thing in the kitchen? nice!
BenderRodriguez
AG
mts6175 said:

They don't all have to be lightweights!
CharlieBrown17
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

mts6175 said:

/Slumpbuster
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

mts6175 said:

/Slumpbuster

My "lightweight" is going to finally be assembled this month. I'm a slacker. Need it ready for Cola Warrior.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I need to make it up that way to shoot sometime this summer.
txyaloo
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

For general hunting with a 300blk, mainly shooting pigs and an occasional exotic, what's the opinion on:

Supers 110gr - reman or new V-max
Subs 208gr - A-max

Open to suggestions
I'd go with 110gr Barnes black tips for hunting. There are several reman rounds that use the Tac-tx bullet. I usually go with the factory rounds since they're readily available.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks!

I saw black hills had some really good reviews. Any experience with those?
mts6175
AG
230Ag said:

mts6175 said:

your wife just lets you keep that thing in the kitchen? nice!
No wife to argue with where I keep my guns or how much I spend on them!
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I need to make it up that way to shoot sometime this summer.

Yes you do. Let me know and we will shoot some idpa or uspsa together.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sounds good. We'll have to find some black rifle range time too. Plus trying to convert people to the CZ side is your thing right?
txyaloo
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Thanks!

I saw black hills had some really good reviews. Any experience with those?
Not in 300BLK, but I've had good luck with their ammo in 5.56.

I've tried a few of the heavier 300BLK bullets in factory loads and my own hand loads, but I always come back to the black tips. I've taken bigger south Texas white tail and lots of hogs with them.

gumby579
AG
WC Armory has Toolcraft BCG's for $76 + shipping back in stock. The reason I decided on one of these instead of PSA is the lack of that ugly PSA logo.

WCA
45-70Ag
AG
This thread is overwhelming.

But I've enjoyed reading it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Irish_Man said:

This thread is overwhelming.

But I've enjoyed reading it.

I'm so close to having a new contribution to it, but things keep getting in the way.

I wanted this build done March 1st. Now I'm hopeful I get it done by April first.

Has to be done by June 1st no matter what, going to shoot Cola Warrior with it.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Same here
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Same here
I think I may have good news for you. Hopefully updating you tomorrow.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Must say 6.5 Grendel is my new favorite round. Ran it in a competition yesterday, just awesome
35chililights
AG

391 days of waiting for suppressor. But she is finally complete.

SanTan upper and lower
Magpul grip and stock
Velocity trigger
Seekins hand guard, takedown pins, and selector
SLR hand stop/barrier rest
Wilson 11.3" 300blk barrel
JP adjustable gas block and silent buffer
Vortex mount and glass
BCM bolt and charging handle
YHM titanium QD suppressor

Now to slay some hogs, because hunting season is too far to wait to draw some blood.
CTGilley
AG
CTGilley said:

That is the plan.

I also picked up a 20rd PMAG to make my free shipping.
Fixed it!

On another note. Dad sends his Henry 30-30 with me to sight in. He hands me a bag and says, "There are 2 full boxes and a partial. Shoot the 150s for fun and sight it in with the 170s."

At the range today I pull out the bag and one box is full of empties, one has five 150gr. and one is full of 15gr. bullets. The only problem is the full box is .308 Win.

I should have known better last time he asked me to sight in a gun for him he only had 3 rounds between 4 boxes.

To top it off he told me, "Buy some good hunting ammo and sight in my AR. I left money in the case so you can buy some." I buy a few different hunting rounds to see what it likes best. I do not get crazy because I know how much of a tight ass he is. Open the case today... $20. His gun is now sighted in with PMC FMJs and I have a new collection of soft points
BroncStomper06
AG
I'm like a kid on Christmas morning, as my rifle finally came in over the weekend.

Parts list:
Windham Weaponry R16M4SFSMIT
Midwest Industries 15" SS Key Mod FF Rail
Diamondhead BUIS
Magpul MOE Stock and Pistol Grip
Magpul PMAG
Harris Bipod
Vortex Cantilever Mount
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x Scope
BenderRodriguez
AG
Nice. Don't have a complete rifle to post up yet, but did spend some time today weighing (literally and figuratively) the sight options (and accessories) for my lightweight build.

GeeBee
AG
Who makes the sights second row from the top?
BreNayPop
AG
Geebee, they look like hk sights

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-sprint-us&biw=360&bih=318&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=35PRWL32NeSH0gLn5LbAAw&q=+hk+iron+sights+for+ar+15&oq=+hk+iron+sights+for+ar+15&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3...9928.10482.0.11342.5.5.0.0.0.0.150.449.2j2.4.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-img..1.0.0.1XvDSdaCQ-I#imgrc=CQBdjGdsRmR0hM:
BenderRodriguez
AG
They are HK sights, got them from RTG in a one time run a couple years ago for way cheaper than what 416 sights are going for these days.

Just checked for you. They're out of stock with no plans on another run.

Because they're designed for the 416, they're a touch lower than standard AR sights so don't cowitness with most optics mounts and have to be used as a set...can't just slap the diopter lower on an AR with a standard height front sight post.

But if I go irons only, they'll probably be what I put on the gun.

Interestingly, they're only half an ounce lighter than the red dot pictured below. (red dot and mount are 4.7 oz, HK sights are 4.2 oz).

GeeBee
AG
Thanks for the info. I was hoping they were available.

What I'm really looking for are set of fixed iron night sights. I haven't been able to find any that I like.

I like these because they don't have the big knob for detaching (or snagging on things)...
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/ddf-1908809116-pict-fxd-frt-rear-sgt.html?_iv_code=DDD-G3-1908809116&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnsPGBRDo4c6RqK-Oqu8BEiQAwNviCfEfEDGCIh-3YdrZ-rRQNyf26wtLHQOQdw7d1V2CcQwaAsIa8P8HAQ

I don't know if you could modify these with tritium inserts. Then if you do you're in for way too many $$ on fixed iron sights.

Anybody have fixed night sights they'd recommend? Not offset. Primary that are top mounted.
FrontPorchAg
So I have a 4x ACOG.

Does anyone on here run a Red dot on top of the their ACOG? Any thoughts?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.