Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,144 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Nealthedestroyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
35chililights said:

Sorry if the engineer in me comes out with this snarky response.

If you're talking direct heat from the suppressor: It limits heat dissipation, as opposed to dissipating the heat.
If you're talking about indirect heat accumulated from the suppressor's heat release: It dissipates the heat very well.

If you just want real world speak, the suppressor can be scalding hot and the temperature of the hand guard directly over the suppressor is hardly elevated over warm to the touch.
Interdasting. I would have thought the opposite. Thanks.
35chililights
AG
But see, it is a free float tube, so it doesn't physically touch the suppressor. If it touched the suppressor, you're right in thinking that it would help dissipate the heat in much the same way that an aluminum heat sink helps offload heat from a microprocessor.

But since it doesn't actually touch the suppressor, there is a layer of air between the handguard and the suppressor. The hand guard, acting in this manner, actually decreases airflow around the suppressor, essentially slowing heat loss from the suppressor by providing a small insulative barrier of air.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Glad to see all the Mlok and ALG love in the last page.
aggie4231
AG
Anyone in the Corpus area have tools and/or willing to help me with installing a ff handguard?
CTGilley
AG
How much of a hurry are you in? My old man lives in Calallen. We were talking about going down there soon. My buddy is an FFL there and is holding a gun for me.
Burnsey
AG
I bought my first AR today from PSA. here is what I bought PSA 16" MID 5.56 NATO 1:7 NITRIDE 13.5" LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK CLASSIC FREEDOM RIFLE KIT - 516445295. I need to get a PSA lower too, some flip up sights and maybe that SPARC for $139. So for a first AR, how did I do?
CactusThomas
AG
Excellent, for the price. PSA is tough to beat these days.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nice!

My buddy just bought the same or similar upper and it works great. Only drawback was it's inability to cycle the cheap monarch steel rounds. Which I am not sure that's really a drawback.... it's not an AK47
The Wonderer
AG
Burnsey said:

I bought my first AR today from PSA. here is what I bought PSA 16" MID 5.56 NATO 1:7 NITRIDE 13.5" LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK CLASSIC FREEDOM RIFLE KIT - 516445295. I need to get a PSA lower too, some flip up sights and a red dot or some other sight too. So for a first AR, how did I do?
PSA is a great entry rifle for the price. They were my first upper.

I'm considering this one. Complete AR for less than $400 running iron sights.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Decent chance it will run steel/low power ammo once its been shot more.
CactusThomas
AG
And if not, that can probably be worked out with a different buffer or spring.
Burnsey
AG
Nice M4 style sir.

As for PSA, I have not heard many negatives about the quality of their product. Howeve they seem to be notorious for slow delivery from the online reviews. I'm in no hurry, so no big deal for me.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I really think they have the shipping mostly figured out but they keep that negative rep from their earlier days.
BreNayPop
AG
I went with a psa pistol kit today... will see how i like it
BenderRodriguez
AG
BreNayPop said:

The 10.5" you were asking about in the other thread was a PSA build. I like it.
Mr. Dubi
CharlieBrown17 said:

Are you calling steel ammo low power? I don't shoot much of it, but I did chrono some Wolf steel and it matched M193 for velocity.
BCO07
AG
BreNayPop said:

Put together a 10.5 psa upper with a psa lower last night. Fits perfectly. I'm excited to put some rounds through it.
CTGilley
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Are you calling steel ammo low power? I don't shoot much of it, but I did chrono some Wolf steel and it matched M193 for velocity.
It shoots about 6" low in my Mini-14.

Also the led does not go all the way to the tip of the jacket. We would clip the tip with some side cutters and make a sick hollow point. I have not shot Wolf in several years so if this information is out dated I apologize.
Burnsey
AG
Bought the SPARC for $139 at PSA w the coupon code...tyvm for the tip. I paid $59 for the lower, yes I know I could have bought it for $20 less, but I wanted to order both and move on to other concerns.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
$99 Aero Upper/Lower Sets!

http://texianfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=612225
BreNayPop
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

$99 Aero Upper/Lower Sets!

http://texianfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=612225

Thats a really nice deal.
AgLA06
AG
Are they matched or fitted? Why would this be any different than buying them separately?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Cheaper.
aggie4231
AG
Finally took the AR to the range twice this week. Why I waited so long, I don't know why.

PSA Complete lower and mid length upper with melonite coated barrel. Magpul Moe grip, CTR stock, Moe mid length 2 piece handguard with vertical grip mounted Midway. Holosun with ACSS reticle.

180 rounds of 55g XM193. 120 rounds 62g XM855.

Grouped pretty good for a first timer. Pretty much fist size grouping while standing.

Was going to sight in using the 10 yd technique for a 25/100 zero. Elevation was pretty spot in. Windage was to the right. No matter what I did, it stayed right (weither on sandbags or the plastic block. Was pretty consistent grouping though. Picked up a laser boresight for next time.

Waiting to zero iron sights until I get the free float on?

TLDR; AR's are awesome adult "toys"
35chililights
AG
If you are sighting in at 10 yards, remember that your clicks on your sight's knobs are typically for changes at 100 yards.

For instance, if your sights have changes for 1/2 inch at 100 yards, that same click is a 1/4 inch change at 50 yards, a 1/8 inch change at 25 yards, and a 1/16 inch change at 13.5 yards, and for your distance of 10 yards, a 1/20 of an inch change.

So if you needed to move the group over one inch to align the sight and grouping, you would have had to rotate the knob 20 clicks.

I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about or not, but with your stated discription of "first timer" I thought I would offer this info.
AG @ HEART
txyaloo said:

AG @ HEART said:

Looking to get a Troy tomahawk stock anybody have one? Any issues arise except that having an ambi bolt release is almost a no go?
I have one on my "FDE rainbow" gun and like it a lot.

Got it and like it pretty well. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it on yet though. As an aside the Zhukov Ak folder is a nice feeling stock as well. Same pull as my standard stock I had on it but something about it feels comfy. I see you have an ALG Handguard got one on both rifles. Great quality and value from geisseles people.

aggie4231
AG
Another question.

What are y'all using for range ammo?

I've only used Federal so far. Reading, the 1:7 twist is better suited to the heavier rounds. Therefore I think I'll stick to 62 grain. Problem with that is that Academy and Walmart don't stock much of it. What they have is basically $0.50 a round. I ain't that oilfield rich yet.
maverick2076
I've been using whatever cheap stuff I find at Academy, usually Monarch or Tula, but I'm switching to 55 gr from Orr Tactical after testing it out last week at the range. Clean, consistent and surprisingly accurate, brass cased, and for almost the same price as cheap steel case. I was really impressed.

55 grain will run just fin in a 1/7 barrel. You just don't want to shoot anything much lighter than that through it.
Naveronski
AG
aggie4231 said:

Another question.

What are y'all using for range ammo?

I've only used Federal so far. Reading, the 1:7 twist is better suited to the heavier rounds. Therefore I think I'll stick to 62 grain. Problem with that is that Academy and Walmart don't stock much of it. What they have is basically $0.50 a round. I ain't that oilfield rich yet.
I've been buying from SGammo.com , their prices are pretty reasonable. When I ordered mine, even with shipping, it was much cheaper than buying from a retail store.
Mr. Dubi
What Maverick said. I have I can't tell the difference between 1:7 and 1:8 in my rifles. All shoot MOA at 100 yards with M193 or match ammo--even Dubi's $69 Radical Firearms SS barrel.
aggie4231
AG
Another successful range trip.

Got the Holosun zero'd. Well about as close as my ability allows, will confirm after I get the FF handguard installed. Zero'd at 10yd for a 25/100yd zero using http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/11/12/frank-proctors-50-yard-zero-at-10-yards/ method.

Still shot fist sized groups while standing, but still got tighter. Only thing hurting me is the FSB, its a distraction in my sight picture. It's a mental thing, that's 1 of the reasons for going FF.

Now if my pistol skills would be the same, I'd be a happy person. Pretty much all my shots are all over the place. I did have a 5 shot group that solid, but my concentration with my form and technique is horribad.

maverick2076
Here is a great video by Travis Haley showing the effects of zeroing at different distances.

What is your goal for pistol shooting? Defensive shooting, target, competition? While the fundamentals are mostly the same between them, the focus and the skills trained are different. You should train for your purpose.
aggie4231
AG
I guess it's pretty much a 100yd zero (the Holosun ACSS reticle is setup for 100yd) done at 10 yds.

All Ive been to are indoor ranges. Corpus is to windy to try and zero outdoor. I'm not concerned right now with long distances (anything over 100yd). I've never been hunting and not sure when/if I will, I know I'm a bad Texan (just done fishing my whole life).

For pistol, mainly got to eventually use for LTC and SD.
TamuKid
AG
Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. Doesn't get much easier to understand than that.
maverick2076
What distance are you shooting your pistol at?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.