Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,147 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
CTGilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I should have sent it back but I have seen Waiting too many times.
The Wonderer
AG
CTGilley said:

I should have sent it back but I have seen Waiting too many times.
Fantastic movie.
CharlieBrown17
AG
we need another OB meet up
CTGilley
AG
Kelso and I were talking about that the other day but neither of us have the room.

Charlie you need to graduate and buy a big barn for us to party in. Preferably with a shooting range.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I see what my housing allowance covers.
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Someday I'll have a range on my own land and will host.

And by someday I mean in like 10 years when we finally get done paying off the wife's med school loan debt.
CTGilley
AG
It is funny you mention that. I was just adding up my loans and I am on track to pay them off in about two more years. Then maybe I can drive something with less than 250K miles.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'm not at 250k miles, but I'm driving a '98 and my wife is driving an '02 car.

Paying off debt and guns are bigger priorities than nice cars for me right now.

Probably always.
CharlieBrown17
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Someday I'll have a range on my own land and will host.

And by someday I mean in like 10 years when we finally get done paying off the wife's med school loan debt.
IF everything works out right I'll be a landowner in the next five years but we'll see.

Think I finally convinced the bride they aren't making any more land
Aldo the Apache
AG
Not sure if this the right thread for this, but I have a quick question that I feel like y'all would have the answer to.

https://imgur.com/a/HdzmK

The old girl on the right was my first .223. Built the lower myself, and received the upper (Sig m400 FSB 11.5") as a gift. Even though it's a pistol, it was a great gun to learn more about the platform. I now own three completed rifles, as well as 3 stripped lowers for builds yet to be completed. One of those being a 300 BLK.

I've been waiting for the right deal to come up for a completed 300 blk upper, but I haven't pulled the trigger on anything. my question is this: Is it possible to simply pull the .223 barrel from the upper and swap it with a 300 blk barrel, while still using the same internals/gas block/etc.? Could I swap with a barrel that is smaller (10") and still keep the internals?

I have access to everything that it takes for assembly so that's not a problem
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Aldo the Apache said:

Not sure if this the right thread for this, but I have a quick question that I feel like y'all would have the answer to.

https://imgur.com/a/HdzmK

The old girl on the right was my first .223. Built the lower myself, and received the upper (Sig m400 FSB 11.5") as a gift. Even though it's a pistol, it was a great gun to learn more about the platform. I now own three completed rifles, as well as 3 stripped lowers for builds yet to be completed. One of those being a 300 BLK.

I've been waiting for the right deal to come up for a completed 300 blk upper, but I haven't pulled the trigger on anything. my question is this: Is it possible to simply pull the .223 barrel from the upper and swap it with a 300 blk barrel, while still using the same internals/gas block/etc.? Could I swap with a barrel that is smaller (10") and still keep the internals?

I have access to everything that it takes for assembly so that's not a problem

Unless you go with a barrel that is less than 10", I believe all you have to do is switch out the barrel. Otherwise you'd have to switch to a pistol length gas system if you go shorter than that. The rest of the upper components should still be kosher.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Have some new parts coming in soon for my 10.5" pistol: ambi parts from Radian and a 8.5" 300 blk upper.

If I like the Radian parts as much as I think I will, reviews/recommendations will follow. Their 45 deg/90 deg customizable ambi safety looks like a really neat product.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Have some new parts coming in soon for my 10.5" pistol: ambi parts from Radian and a 8.5" 300 blk upper.

If I like the Radian parts as much as I think I will, reviews/recommendations will follow. Their 45 deg/90 deg customizable ambi safety looks like a really neat product.
Just ordered a bunch of Raptors for the store. Love them.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BenderRodriguez
AG
Good to hear, I have a Raptor and their safety (talon) on the way.

Looks like good stuff, and they sponsor Cola Warrior which always helps my buying decisions.
BenderRodriguez
AG
It's getting harder and harder to justify keeping my MP5......

CharlieBrown17
AG
Where's the Bender needs to sell things thread at?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Tree fiddy!
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Where's the Bender needs to sell things thread at?

Postponed until after Christmas.

I'm going out of town, have stuff to finalize before I do and I just don't have time to manage a big for sale thread.

I'll put one up after the new year, probably. But if I still like this gun as much then as I do now, the MP5 will be part of the sale thread.
reddog90
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

It's getting harder and harder to justify keeping my MP5......

Specs when you have a minute plz.
BenderRodriguez
AG
It's the same lower I use for my 10.5" 5.56 upper: law folder, kac tube and brace, geissle SSA-E. I have a Radian 45 deg ambi safety incoming for it that I'm excited about but it's lost in shipping limbo.

Upper is an 8.5" barreled 300 blk by hardened arms with their 7" free float rail. Radian raptor ambidextrous charging handle, aim surplus bcg, AR level HK 416 style sights.

I'll eventualy be filing suppressor paperwork for a rugged micro 30. With the micro 30 in its short condos of 5", it'll be shorter suppressed than a standard 16" AR.

Going to top it off with a red dot, flashlight and replace my lightweight AR I'm using for home defense with it when the stamp comes back.

Using nothing but lancers for 300 blk and pmags for 5.56. Some people like using 20s in one and 30s in the other or different colors, but I love 20s too much. This way I have a mag that feels different even in the dark so I don't mix up my 556/300 mags and don't have to pick which one to use 20s with.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Size comparison with my reverse stretch mp5 clone:

It's barely longer, lighter, easier to mount ambi parts to, easier to mount lights and optics to, and shoots a rifle caliber.

Mp5s are cool as hell but this thing is it's successor.
Zjones920
What red dot are you thinking? I'm 99% done buying stuff for mine. The last thing I need is a red dot.. I like the vortex viper.. just don't know which one 6 moa or 3 moa
GigemCO2008
AG
If anyone is willing to play credit card roulette with PSA (Palmetto State Armory), they have their black friday deal back up on Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 w/Vortex mount for $270 shipped to Texas.
Use Code STRIKEEAGLE

Link to Reddit Thread (your wallet will hate you)
Reddit Thread on VTX SE 1-8 and Mount

Link to PSA
PSA Link

Comment about Credit Card Roulette: I don't know about proving it, but off the reddit gundeals thread, numerous and numerous posts have talked about buying stuff from PSA, and then having fraudulent charges after using it online at PSA.

Best to use a 1 time CC # if your card allows you to issue a 1-time number for a purchase, or just watch your card closely after purchasing from PSA.

I like to gamble, so I bought one.
gibberish
AG
Galil Ace, What say you? Yea or nay?
dr_boogs
AG
gibberish said:

Galil Ace, What say you? Yea or nay?

Username checks out?
CharlieBrown17
AG

It's Israeli. I don't know anything about them. They're in the old COD games. Not saying that's where OP knows them from, but that's the first time I ever heard of a Galil.
MGS
The Galil Ace is on the cover of this month's American Rifleman.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Bet there's a great multiple page ad inside
gibberish
AG
MGS said:

The Galil Ace is on the cover of this month's American Rifleman.
Yea saw that. And of course they never met a gun they didn't like.

But in reality what got me curious is that I have been looking for a higher end AK rifle but given the prices that Arsenals, VEPRs, and Saigas are commanding these days it gets you pretty darn close to the Galil Ace's price point. MACs review of the rifle is intriguing given some of the major upgrades over the standard AK. namely integrated rails/covers, left side charge, and sealed system.

EOD: not a gamer, so COD? thought that's what the brits give you in fish and chips.

reddog90
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

It's the same lower I use for my 10.5" 5.56 upper: law folder, kac tube and brace, geissle SSA-E. I have a Radian 45 deg ambi safety incoming for it that I'm excited about but it's lost in shipping limbo.

Upper is an 8.5" barreled 300 blk by hardened arms with their 7" free float rail. Radian raptor ambidextrous charging handle, aim surplus bcg, AR level HK 416 style sights.

I'll eventualy be filing suppressor paperwork for a rugged micro 30. With the micro 30 in its short condos of 5", it'll be shorter suppressed than a standard 16" AR.

Going to top it off with a red dot, flashlight and replace my lightweight AR I'm using for home defense with it when the stamp comes back.

Using nothing but lancers for 300 blk and pmags for 5.56. Some people like using 20s in one and 30s in the other or different colors, but I love 20s too much. This way I have a mag that feels different even in the dark so I don't mix up my 556/300 mags and don't have to pick which one to use 20s with.
Just curious, why did you go 300 blk for this build? I use a 11.5" suppressed SBR for home defense. I built it in 556 because that's what my other ARs were. I'd like to build a folding pistol or buy a scorpion next though.
dodger02
AG
Hey, Bender -

I'm in the Bell County area. Do you know where I can take my Saiga to get a flash hider installed? Mine has the damn shroud over the end of the barrel and I'm unable to install one myself. Hope this pic works:

txyaloo
AG
reddog90 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Just curious, why did you go 300 blk for this build? I use a 11.5" suppressed SBR for home defense. I built it in 556 because that's what my other ARs were. I'd like to build a folding pistol or buy a scorpion next though.
300blk was designed from the start to be suppressed. With subsonic ammo, an 8" barreled 300blk can be extremely quiet. 300blk also reaches maximum velocity in ~8". You get no benefit from a longer barrel.

A short 5.56 gun is loud no matter what suppressor you hang off of the end. 300blk is a great home defense/close quarters round.
maverick2076
Not to speak for Bender, but you can go shorter on the barrel on .300 and run a suppressor, and it isn't as hard on your suppressor as short barrel 5.56. It's also much quieter and can be a better performer at short distances.
dr_boogs
AG
Txyaloo - you care to comment on running 300 BO subsonics for home defense? While it has a cool factor all the data I've encountered and recs from folks who know their stuff suggest that you should probably use supers for home defense and hunting. Subsonic really is kind of a gee whiz range-day application.

I'm just finishing up a 300 blk SBR and plan to run Barnes black tips w my suppressor for home defense.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'll be running supers. Like you said, subs are underwhelming for anything other than being pretty quiet.

I also got your email and will get back to you today, and get back to this thread with a gunsmith link for the saiga question and some thoughts on the Galil ace and more on why I'm going with 300 blk. Busy day, getting back home from Christmas travel, sick wife, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.