Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

494,212 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
aggiesq
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
For those looking for a 6920 I would recommend considering an Colt OEM2 (~$700) or OEM1 (if you prefer front sight). Chances are you are you would change the the stock and handguard on a 6920, so why pay twice for those parts. Plus the OEM line makes it easy to freefloat with the appropriate handguard.

Currently $725 at https://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920-OEM2

If in houston of course see Eyeguy for his availability and pricing.
whats the advantage of a 6920 over some generic non-Colt?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Alright, just finished another build and thought I'd share.

10.5" Pistol kit from Palmetto State Armory- $400
Stripped lower- $50
DD 1.5 fixed rear- $60
Magpul 30 round mag- $12

That's a complete AR pistol for $522.

Since it was cheap, I did decide to upgrade the grip, handguard, trigger, sig brace and charging handle.

Final result:

Size comparison to a 16" Dissipator.

agfan2013
AG
quote:

Quality

Brand recognition in the event of needing to resell
gibberish
AG
quote:
quote:

Quality

Brand recognition in the event of needing to resell
Yep exactly, I was just providing an option to the folks that were having trouble finding a 6920 at a reasonable price.

Personally I went the complete Daniel Defense route for the my life depends on it, and built a custom competition lower and added a complete BCM upper for 2 and 3 gun.

aggiesq
AG
thanks

i like the one you linked, looks like a fun way to personalize it with the major parts.

now if only i could find an ffl to receive things who would actually respond to messages.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Also, remember, I do sell these build kits:

http://texianfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=224186
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Also, remember, I do sell these build kits:

http://texianfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=224186

That is a damn good deal.

PMD03
AG
Anyone have experience with a WMD NiB coated BCG or complete upper or lower?
HvilleAggie
AG
The website lists an "upper parts kit", did you mean lower?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
It has both, actually. UPK is the fwd assist and dust cover. Essentially, all you need is a stripped lower and you have a full rifle with this kit.
El_Guero512
Gibberish, Thats what I want!! I was going to gut the Colt but that OEM2 lets me add the mods.

Now TheEyeGuy can you get a one of these?? Ill gladly drive to your shop and support a AG.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Had a good day at the range yesterday breaking in the new 10.5" pistol. Black guns are fun.

maverick2076
How do you like the Tavor?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
How do you like the Tavor?

Really like it!

Photo doesn't show it well, but a 16" Tavor is the same length as a 10.5" AR-15.

Trigger is slightly heavy but useable, optics are a must. It's been exceptionally reliable. I'm a big fan.

Like ARs, prices on bullpups right now are pretty good. If you want a Tavor/AUG/PS90, buy now.
ORAggieFan
Likely buying my first tomorrow. I live in CA so much easier to purchase locally than try and build and meet regulations. That said, help me with various price points and what I should consider. Willing to spend up to $1200 but prefer under $1000. Will add a scope on top of that.

Here is where I will likely purchase and my options. Any thoughts appreciated.

https://www.turners.com/guns-rifles/browse/caliber/5_56mm/perpage/50
aggiesq
AG
Good to see turners is still around. I mostly bought from them when I lived in Orange County.

I'm sorry you're stuck in that liberal paradise of a state. Their gun control, and then some, is lefty's wet dream nationwide
BenderRodriguez
AG
Sorry about Cali.

I'd go with one of the Colt 6920s.
ORAggieFan
Thanks. Our gun laws may suck but hard to beat San Diego.

Was strongly leaning Colt. Why the 6920 over some other models? Trying to understand what is important to consider.

Thanks for help.
Ulysses90
AG
quote:
Why the 6920 over some other models?
This is just opinion but I believe that the Colt 6920 is held as the "duty weapon standard" because it is made with the same specs (aside from barrel length and select fire) on the same equipment by the same people that produce the contract weapons for the military. There is probably an unspoken belief that the Quality Assurance Surveillance Plan implemented by the military to sample, inspect, and test those rifles has a residual benefit to the rifles made by Colt for civilian customers. Having Defense Contract Management Agency looking at the production line is both a pain in the arse for Colt but it creates a perception that they are being held to a highere standard than manufacturers who don't have military contract work. There may be something to that but there are plenty of good quality ARs on the market and for companies like LaRue, Noveske, Daniel Defense, and others I don't believe that they would shy away from a head to head comparison with Colt.
will.mcg
AG
If one prefers to use an 80% lower are only certain manufacturers/brands compatible with each other(upper & 80% lower)? If so, please share this information. Thank you!
Ulysses90
AG
If you finish the 80% lower with accurate & precise drilling then you should have a stripped lower receiver that is functionally compatible with every standard Ar-15 upper receiver and lower parts kit. As long as it is 7075T9 aluminum and conforms to the MilSpec dimensions everything should be interchangeable.

I have not personally finished an 80% lower received so this opinion is armchair gunsmithing advice but I would stay away from 6061 aluminum alloy and Magnesium alloys for rifle receivers based on the structural strength of 7075 (as I recall from TAMU MechET). I would think that the surface coating would be the major difference in an 80% receiver because it would almost certainly be different from the other components from a cosmetic point of view.

Another thought on building from an 80% lower, if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of buying a jig, it would almost certainly make sense to buy more than one unfinished lower. There's always going to be some experiential learning that takes place the first time you drill one out so your second it likely to be better than the first. Secondly, if there is ever a circumstance in which you needed the anonymity of an unserialized lower receiver you probably would be wishing for several backup rifles without serial numbers either. At the link below a jig kit with one receiver is $270 but a jig kit with five receivers is only $500.

http://www.ar-15lowerreceivers.com/lower-receiver-jig-combos/

will.mcg
AG
Sweet! Thank you for your intelligent reply. I personally am not worried about anonymity, I would like the satisfaction of putting more into the build than simply turning a few screws(not to make it sound elementary at all).
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Sweet! Thank you for your intelligent reply. I personally am not worried about anonymity, I would like the satisfaction of putting more into the build than simply turning a few screws(not to make it sound elementary at all).

My vote: Buy a stripped lower and turn the few screws first. ARs are addictive, you'll want another one anyway, so you can go 80% on the second attempt.

As for simplicity.....buy this now, thank me later: Takedown pin detent spring 5 pack
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
She heard on NPR of all places that guns and ammo are a good place for someone to invest money in right now instead of getting beat up in the stock market.

I would disagree with NPR there. Real estate, getting out of debt, index funds etc are all investments.

The problem with "investing" in guns and ammo is that as I showed in my first post, AR prices are unstable in the short term but tend to stabilize over time, because there are a lot of manufacturers building them to meet that high demand.

The same gun mentioned in the OP that sold for $1200 in Dec 2012-Jan 2013 sold for $800 before that and is under $800 again today. So if you'd bought one as an investment at $800 and four years later it is worth slightly less than $800....that's a pretty bad investment.

The other problem is since guns are highly regulated, the government frowns on buying/building to sell without a license to do so. If someone buys 10 AR-15s today planning to sell them if another panic hits, that's the sort of thing that could get you in a lot of legal hot water.

I'm not recommending people buy now to sell later, or buy guns instead of investing in their retirement. I'm just saying that if you want an AR-15, now is a good time to buy.

There are other ways to invest in firearms outside of buying firearms. Look at the stock prices of the majors over the past 5 years - investing in firearms has turned out to be fairly lucrative.

I'd also extend the overall sentiment of your OP to include firearm accessories - including ammo and reloading components.

Ammo was hit just as hard as actual firearms were during the last shortage, and reloading components are really just now coming back to being somewhat readily available across the board. One hit politically and the shelves go bare again.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Mags too... if looking at an investment for the next craze... profit margins on 30 round mags was better than anything else. People were paying $40 for a $10 pmag.
will.mcg
AG
Thank you!
ORAggieFan
Bought the Colt 6920 today. Now my awesome 10 day wait....
Triad
AG
Anybody know of any decent, available 20" uppers? I have my eye on a couple and already have a carbine. I just built an A2 lower, and was wondering if any of you had any opinions on what to put on top.
HumbleAg04
AG
quote:
Anybody know of any decent, available 20" uppers? I have my eye on a couple and already have a carbine. I just built an A2 lower, and was wondering if any of you had any opinions on what to put on top.

Have Eye build you a 6.5 Grendel upper. If you are going with a 20" barrel I'm a fan of picking a bullet that takes full advantage of it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

Are you wanting an A2 upper or a flat top?

My next build will be an A4 clone like the one pictured below (plus an ACOG at some point). I know it runs contrary to what most people like, but I'm really coming around to the idea that if I could only have two ARs, I'd take a 10.5" and a 20".

Triad
AG
Flat top. More or less what you've pictured there. I would really like to get a BCM, but it seems they're never in stock. Also been eyeballing the RRA uppers, but was just wondering if there is anywhere else I should look as well. I'm a huge fan of the KISS rifle. It's going to wear irons for a while just for funzies, and then I've been considering the Vortex Spitfire on top of it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I hate to say this because I'm waiting for them to come back in stock for myself....but check this out.

Sign up to be notified when it's back in stock....FN makes the barrels for these uppers, they're a good buy.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I think I agree with this as well, my current AR is a 16" barrel. I have one of EyeGuys class set upper/lowers plus a 20" barrel waiting for me to build over the summer.

If I added another AR it would be a SBR and I'd only keep the 16" because it's my first AR/build
Triad
AG
That has been on the Radar too, and is the reason I didn't snap up one of their normal 20" uppers a few weeks ago when they had them in stock and on sale for $369.
CharlieBrown17
AG
PSA M4 Rifle Kit -419.99

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.