Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,169 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it's stripping a round but not closing the bolt and firing you need to be very careful until you get it completely figured it out, sounds like high risk of an out of battery discharge.

Like load first round, shoot, inspect to make sure next round loaded and is fully seated and repeat
Duncan Idaho
so recommend a DECENT (not great) variable scope for my 20 inch .223 wylde build. Since I am spending time in Alabama, the Intended uses are screwing around that the CMP range with 100, 200, 300, 600 yards lanes.

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Talladega-Pricing-061616-WEB.pdf
CharlieBrown17
AG
I ended up with a used vortex viper 6.5-20 when in the same boat. Finally will have the last small parts to put her together this week.

I picked the scope up off eBay with a mount for like $300 I think. Vortex has a pretty much no questions asked lifetime warranty on their scopes.
maverick2076
Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS
Duncan Idaho
This one?
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2822605
maverick2076
Yes. Great scope. I love mine. Same scope as the Vortex Strike Eagle, but with a better reticle.
bunlundun
AG
New to ARs. I have read this thread a few times and got the bug to build. I finally purchased a few stripped Anderson lowers with fixed trigger guards that were cheap. I was originally thinking about building the upper on my own but have not gathered a complete parts list yet (was thinking primary weaponry BCG, unknown upper, ballistic advantage barrel with 1:8 twist, key mod handguard, unknown charging handle). I also need to puchase a few tools in order to build an upper.

In searching for upper parts I came across the PSA deal linked below that expires tomorrow. Is this a deal I should jump on and just add a BCG and CH? Any negative aspect about this pas upper that a newbie would overlook? Any advice/input is appreciated.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/review/product/list/id/25225/

GeeBee
AG
I bought one of their 5.56 pistol uppers and a one of their BCG's that were on sale. All total it was right @ $300. It's chewed through any ammo I threw at it (read cheap brass and steel cased) without a hiccup. I'm not one to shoot 1000's of rounds through a gun per year, so for me it has worked just fine with the ~200 rds I've run through it.
All total I have about $450 in it less sights and optics.
bunlundun
AG
Good to know. On one hand I would like to build the upper myself since I am new to ARs. On the other hand it might be just as good to get this nearly completed upper and get to shooting. The quicker i get to shooting the sooner i can figure out what I want to do with the other lower I have
AlaskanAg99
AG
So question, why do people not just buy a Colt AR?
Cost?
Features?
Just flat our cheaper and more fun to build your own at zero loss in quality/accuracy?
The Wonderer
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

So question, why do people not just buy a Colt AR?
Cost? Yes
Features? Yes
Just flat our cheaper and more fun to build your own at zero loss in quality/accuracy? Sometimes
Duncan Idaho
I wouldn't own a single AR but for one reason.

I was able to order a bunch of pieces and spend an evening putting them together and ending g up with a usable gun.

My professional work doesn't produce anything tangible. So I enjoy making things. I don't have Abrams talent for wood working, I can't paint, I don't really like to write, but I can watch a YouTube video or read a book and figure out how to do something. If that is building an AR, rebuilding an engine, doing all of the maintenance on my vehicles, or even mowing the lawn, periodically I need to fix or build something with hands that I can touch and actually use.

Putting together a couple of ARs allowed me that outlet for a reasonable price.
Zjones920
So I took the bolt out and polished the parts you guys told me to. No fixy. I'm getting really frustrated. Any other clues/suggestions?
maverick2076
Could be that the gas block is slightly canted or the gas key is loose on the BCG.
dubi
AG
maverick2076 said:

Could be that the gas block is slightly canted or the gas key is loose on the BCG.

Mr Dubi had a gas block that had to be replaced. Never got it to work properly.
Zjones920
I have no idea on the gas block. The bcg key seems to be fine.
maverick2076
Have you tried a higher quality ammo? I'll be honest. I'd bet putting 200 rounds of 62 grain green tip through it will cure your issue. Cheap ammo is usually light on powder. Combine that with a lower cost AR built on cheaper parts, and you need to break it in with some higher velocity ammo before it'll shoot the cheaper stuff. It's not uncommon and it's not a knock on your rifle. I've had it happen with two of my builds. Sometimes parts made by different manufacturers just need to wear in together.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Zjones920 said:

I have no idea on the gas block. The bcg key seems to be fine.

What buffer and spring are you using? Is this a carbine length gas system?
GeeBee
AG
Does your AR slam the bolt shut if you were to pull the charging handle say an inch or two back and then release? Mine wouldn't fully seat until I polished it. I used a dremel with a cloth wheel and a bar of jewelers rouge.
Zjones920
I'm headed to academy first thing in the morning for some real ammo to see if that helps. If it doesn't I'll start looking into the gas system
dubi
AG
Quote:

I bought a grab bag AR from Eyeguy and I finally shot it today. It was having trouble feeding the next round and I have zero idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated
If nice ammo doesn't fix it I'd return it for Eyeguy to figure it out.....
AMF 2 AMC
AG
zjones,

as has been suggested, make sure your bcg is properly lubed.

When shooting, did you try using the forward assist to fully engage the bolt instead of the charging handle?

If you have already polished the lugs, and still have an issue, try pulling the bcg, disassemble it, clean, lube and reassemble it.

I just finished my first build. When I went to lube before final assembly, I thought my cam key was really stiff, so I ended up working it manually until it moved more cleanly. It should loosen up as it breaks in, but it should move cleanly to start with.

There's a good thread on ar15.com with some diagrams showing where and how much to lube. Also watch one of the disassembly vids on youtube and see if your bcg functions properly.

If that doesn't solve it, test your gas system. You can use a compressor; I used a can of air.

If those two things don't work, let Eyeguy have a look.

Good luck.
$11.99 M3 PMAGS

http://lanworldinc.com/index.php/hikashop/category-view/product/526-magpul-pmag-20-gen-m3-7-62
Duncan Idaho
It is amazing the amount of variance between my PSA upper and the one I just got from Aero Precision.

The PSA upper fits my Anderson lowers like they were made for each other. The AP upper fits noticably looser and has a visible gap between the rear of the upper and the buffer tube.

Astroag
AG
silly question: Is there somewhere that has a AR for dummies breakdown on the lower/upper, lengths, pistol vs rifle, stamp issues, and which requires what? ...I'm slowly going through this amazing thread and keep seeing these things and get a bit mixed up. Looking to do my first "build" in the near future

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
The Wonderer
AG
Astroag said:

silly question: Is there somewhere that has a AR for dummies breakdown on the lower/upper, lengths, pistol vs rifle, stamp issues, and which requires what? ...I'm slowly going through this amazing thread and keep seeing these things and get a bit mixed up. Looking to do my first "build" in the near future

you can peruse ar15.com or ask questions here. Tons of knowledgeable people from parts, builds, laws, etc.
Astroag
AG
thanks man...It looks like I should compile parts and then have a smith do the actual building.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
DatTallArchitect
AG
I hear Real Avid makes a good card set for helping with breaking down, cleaning and reassembling an AR. It may not be what you're looking for, but it's probably at least a good start.

Brownells and Cheaper Than Dirt both have lots of helpful information as well.
The Wonderer
AG
if you have basic mech skills, you can build an AR with the help of youtube.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I've had more issues with IKEA furniture than ARs...
Duncan Idaho
The only tools you need are a couple of Allen wrenches, a pair of channel locks, and a vice (if you are attaching a barrel to an upper). You can borrow a torque wrench from AutoZone the only specialty tool I needed was a vice block kit for $30.

You should give it a shot.
CactusThomas
AG
Reach out to someone in your hometown who has experience putting ARs together if you're overwhelmed.
Zjones920
Well good news on my front boys. I went to academy this morning and picked up some 5.56 55g American Eagle.. worked like a champ. So it looks like I have/had an ammo problem.
The Wonderer
AG
Glad to hear
CTGilley
AG
Not sure where you are located but if near BCS I would not mind giving you a hand but it is pretty easy. I do get the head space checked for my peace of mind. Finding a build party is another option.

"Will Work for Beer"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.