Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

493,663 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

reddog90 said:

Need to build a Bender-style lightweight middy.

I'm flattered, but I stole most of my ideas for that build from the long lightweight build thread on AR15.com and the CWAR concept.

When I was warming things up for CWT, I shot that lightweight midlength a lot more than I have in the past few months. Still going strong with no issues. I've honestly been surprised at how well that gun has run with no adjustable gas block, a light weight BCG and mid gas on a slightly shorter barrel than midlength was designed for (14.5" pinned instead of a true 16" barrel).

I love all ARs, but it is hands down my favorite.
We'll you bragging on it inspired me to research 14.5 middys and I have a parts list using some of the things you lined out a while ago, but a few different parts as well. Just need to not be poor.
bearamedic99
AG
I feel you. I have such a little budget for for my wants.
BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

I have a parts list using some of the things you lined out a while ago, but a few different parts as well. Just need to not be poor.

I hear you there.

Big thing to me on a lightweight build is you have to use a lightweight barrel like that Faxon pencil barrel and a lightweight handguard. Everything else is optional, but those two items are where people usually add a ton of weight that not only makes the rifle heavier, but interferes with the balance enough to make the weight really noticeable. That being said, the AIM LW BCG has been really good too and since it isn't really much more than a standard good BCG, highly recommend.

Be careful with advertised "light weight" stuff. La Rue sells a "light weight" barrel is that is almost a full pound heavier than the Faxon. I can dig up the thread on AR15.com I mentioned that has a lot of parts weights listed out as measured by folks there, but at a minimum be sure the manufacturer lists an actual weight for any advertised lightweight part for you to compare before you buy.

Chalupa Batman
AG
Thanks. Beautiful gun!
Walter Kovacs
AG
Just a heads up, but Brownells has the Ruger 10/22 Charger synthetic threaded barrel + $25 dollar gift card on sale for 205 shipped with code M2T. Throw on a copper custom adaptor and a pistol brace and you have a sweet little rig. Threaded, sbr length 10/22 for ~300?
AverageJones
AG
Thinking about building an AR-9, anyone have any tips/suggestions?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Very good info!

Is this the thread you were talking about?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Lightweight-Parts-List-with-WEIGHTS-AR-15-/118-638524/

I had it bookmarked.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Yep, that's the thread.

That thread got me to buy a postal scale just so I could weigh AR parts. If you're not careful, that thread can cost a lot of money.
Mr. Dubi
AverageJones said:

Thinking about building an AR-9, anyone have any tips/suggestions?

The Glock magazines are a little more relianle, but their bolt catch systems, if they have one are less reliable. The Glock magazines, if you use factory Glock mags are more reliable because of their tapered design they stay cleaner..

The Colt pattern AR9 are the same as a regular AR.

Go with a heavily sprung, lightweight recoil system

There are pros and cons to them all. JP makes good part, but they are quite pricey. I have a JP bolt and recoil system on the Colt pattern 9mm AR I built for Dubi.

Spikes Colt pattern lower, Anderson slick sided upper, JP bolt, JP 9mm SCS, ALG QMS trigger, Ballistic Advantage 16" barrel, Custom Muzzle Brake 9mm comp/brake, Palmetto lower build kit with ambi safety ATI handguard, Krylon paint. I use metalform magazines, they need to be cleaned after about five uses.

By the time I finished the ultimate build, if I had paid full price on all the parts, it would have cost almost as much as buying a nicer one one off the shelf.

I like they idea of the Glock magazine reliability, but I also like the Colt pattern layout and parts interchangeability with real AR's.

Mr. Dubi
Some other areas where you can save a couple ounces at a time without breaking the bank are the scope mount, a slick sided upper and the muzzle brake.

If you go with a lightweight BCG, use a Carbine buffer too. The light recoil system, combined with an effective brake make for a soft shooting gun.
reddog90
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

reddog90 said:

What are the specs on your 14.5" lightweight build?

Standard PSA lower
Magpul K2 grip
Standard lower parts kit, minus Geissele SSA-E and CMMG ambi safety
Spikes T2 buffer kit
B5 Sopmod stock
Aero Upper w/o Forward Assist
AIM Lightweight BCG
BCM Ambi Gunfighter charging hadlle, Mod 4 size
Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel, midlength gas
13" ALG EMR V2
Voodoo Manimal pinned and welded
Low profile .650 gas block

The Faxon lightweight barrel is the biggest savings weight wise. The Lightweight BCG helps too, as does an upper without forward assist.

But if you want to go semi lightweight without getting nuts, go with a faxon barrel and a lightweight free float rail.

The ALG isn't the absolute lightest option out there, but it is very light, strong, and provides machined QD points for slings and the ability to mount accessories anywhere on the rail I need to mount something, so I'm a big fan of it as a "do it all" option.

Is a pinned and welded muzzle device removable at some point in the future? Say I had a brake pinned and welded and later wanted to change it to a flash hider, or maybe I change brands of suppressor so I need a different muzzle device, can I gunsmith do that?
Mr. Dubi
Yes, a pinned & welded muzzle device can be removed be a competent gunsmith.

There are two ways of doing it; a mill to cut a slot where the welded pin is, or using a lathe to turn the barrel down to the threads.

A garage gunsmith can try to remove the device following instructions on arfcom, using either a drill press or dremmel.

The least comp I had removed my gunsmith charged something like $30 to cut the old one off and mount/drill/pin/weld and color match, so you couldn't even tell where he had pinned the new comp.
BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

Is a pinned and welded muzzle device removable at some point in the future? Say I had a brake pinned and welded and later wanted to change it to a flash hider, or maybe I change brands of suppressor so I need a different muzzle device, can I gunsmith do that?

Yep. I used ADCO to pin and weld. They were fast and affordable.

The reason I went with the voodoo manimal muzzle device is it's small enough that if i needed to get the gas block off, theoretically I could do that without having to remove the muzzle device...big plus since it's welded.

reddog90
AG
Thanks for the info.
reddog90
AG
Damn that's a good point about removing the gas block. Maybe I'll just throw a SBA3 on it instead of pin & weld.
BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

Damn that's a good point about removing the gas block. Maybe I'll just throw a SBA3 on it instead of pin & weld.

That's always an option too. What's the weight on the SB?

Honestly, I've never needed to remove a gas block on a gun, so even the manimal was a way out there "what if" scenario.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Since this thread is also abou other semi autos (even though we don't talk about them much), I'm planning on trying out one of these in the future if the reports stay positive.

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/ak-adjustable-gas-piston/

My Saiga is overgassed to hell and back so this intrigued me. It'd be nice if my trash can gun was a little smoother to shoot.
reddog90
AG
6.75 oz. I was planning on a b5 bravo at 9 oz.

BenderRodriguez
AG
That is nice and light. I have a MFT Minimalist that weighs in at 6 oz, but stuck with the B5 because it balanced a little better with a bit more weight in the stock. Lightweight builds are a little easier to make front heavy. YMMV. With the red dot the MFT was fine, with a heavier optic I needed a little more weight back there to balance nicely.
Silvy
AG
PSA finally has 9mm 16" uppers back in stock, I ordered one immediately.
CTGilley
AG
I know the OBs feelings but if you were to pick between a $500 PA47 or a $350 Radical Arms AK15 build kit what would it be?

I have a can of 7.62x39 I want to shoot up....

I know it is not the OB way but for this pretend it is the only two options.

Ok third option. If anyone knows where to get a cheap AK build kit, that is the best option.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 is what you're looking for
CTGilley
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Ruger Mini-30 American Ranch in 7.62x39 is what you're looking for
FIFY
DatTallArchitect
AG
Figured I would share my 6.5 Grendel

- Texian billet upper and lower receiver set with custom serial number (in honor of a family member)
- 20" Shilen barrel
- 18" Midwest Industries handguard
- Elftmann 3-gun match trigger
- Geissele maritime bolt catch
- Battle Arms Development safety and enhanced take-down/pivot pins
- Odin Works extended mag release
- Fail Zero NiB BCG
- Radian Raptor charging handle
- Armaspec Stealth Recoil System
- PWS enhanced buffer tube
- Magpul STR stock and MOE+ grip
- Rudolph 3-9x scope
jabberwalkie09
AG
Was it yours that also had the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Yep. Have mixed feelings about that, as you probably understand. It's great installed, but doesn't play well with others when building.

I had bought two of them, so I had one on hand when I built my pistol. However, I ended up going with the Strike Industries Extended Bolt Catch for it. It will be my go to from here on.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I don't think I've played with that one, but I do have two Maritime Bolt Catches. One on my pistol build and another on my 16" gov profile build, and I like them. I particularly like how over sized and how I can use the controls with my left hand if needed.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I may take the bolt catch out if my .223 Wylde and put this other Geissele maritime bolt catch in it.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Any recommendations for a non-AR/no-bcg side folding adaptor?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Adapter for what?
Walter Kovacs
AG
A stock adapter. Something similar to the law folder but without the need to worry about the buffer & bcg. UTG makes one... but it's UTG.
DatTallArchitect
AG
For an AR or AK or something else? Your original post said non-AR, so I'm confused.
Walter Kovacs
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

For an AR or AK or something else? Your original post said non-AR, so I'm confused.
frankenruger 10/22 build

edit: i guess i should have spelled it out, but something that will allow for buffer tube attachment without the need for interaction between a bcg & buffer.
reddog90
AG
what color coating is that?
DatTallArchitect
AG
reddog90 said:

what color coating is that?
It is Magpul OD Green withe a matte finish. Since black is not found in nature, I wanted something that would blend better while hunting. Love how it turned out!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.