Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,167 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks guys, I did a quick search and could come up with his (skelso's) contact info, anyone have it handy?
dr_boogs
AG
Sure. Don't want to post his number without his permission so PM me.
dubi
AG
PM sent.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Any advice on getting cerakote on your rifle? I figure any shop that does cerakote should have a good general idea of what they are doing but you never know.

Lessons learned from having your rifle coated? Suggestions for places to get it done in Houston (Northwest Houston / South Tomball area specifically)?
For single colors, it's not that difficult and as long as they know what they are doing, you won't see a huge variation between cerakoters. Camo patterns are a completely different animal, however. I have two crews that do work for us... one does all of our single color stuff and the other does our patterns. Well, I'll have three after Skelso can start taking work back in for me.
Daddy-O5
AG
Thanks for the feedback guys, called skelso and got a lot of good feedback.
Average Joe
AG
Skelso is good people and takes passion in his work.
GigemCO2008
AG
I know Trusts and SBR's have been covered before, but I heard something new the other day at Battle Rifle Company.

This came from a guy working the counter, and indicated that you can only have 1 Upper to an SBR lower as the tax stamp directly defines what the weapon is.
I.e. Sbr lower in 223 caliber with a 10.5" barrel and muzzle break and a 8" handguard.

I had not heard this before, and it made me rethink my plan going forward.

I said I was interested in building/ getting a 9mm SBR PCC.

They have a pretty slick 9mm AR, and either put in a mag block for Colt Mags or do a dedicated lower for glock lowers.

My end goal for a 9mm PCC would be to have an SBR lower that I could also then use on my 300 blk out pistol I have already built.

Side charging upper with whatever higher end parts needed to not get so much gas blowback when firing suppressed.

I was at the range and a buddy had a Sig MPX SBR with a telescoping folding stock. I was pretty impressed and liked the setup a lot.

However, when I ran it shooting hush ammo, I was shocked by how much gas blowback it had (more than my unsuppresed basic 5.56)

So, how many of you guys have 1 SBR lower that you put on multiple short Uppers and even run a normal 16-18 upper.

I already have a G2S and a few other mods on my colt lower, but I don't want to SBR the 6940 because while it's a great gun, the monolithic upper isn't the most desirable as I can't change the barrel with the current handguard bc of the proprietary barrel nut.

I don't have a trust set up yet, but getting closer to getting around and doing it
dubi
AG
GigemCO2008 said:

I know Trusts and SBR's have been covered before, but I heard something new the other day at Battle Rifle Company.

This came from a guy working the counter, and indicated that you can only have 1 Upper to an SBR lower as the tax stamp directly defines what the weapon is.
I.e. Sbr lower in 223 caliber with a 10.5" barrel and muzzle break and a 8" handguard.

I had not heard this before, and it made me rethink my plan going forward.

Not true.

Mr Dubi's SBR is used as a 223 and a 9mm.

He will be along shortly with bigger fancier words.
AverageJones
AG
Caliber: Multi

As long as the barrel length on your form is shorter or equal to the barrel on the lower, you'll be fine
GigemCO2008
AG
So then would the best barrel length on a form be 14.5".

I.e Form says 14.5"
Then you could 10.5"
8" 300 Blk
6" 9mm

Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
I think he meant the opposite, form barrel length should be shorter. So list a 9 inch barrel length on the form in order to have a 9 inch or longer barrel on your upper.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dubi
AG
Read post below.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
It was explained to me by my trust attorney that you can put any length upper on your SBR lower as long as you remain in possession of the barrel length upper that's listed on your from 1....
dubi
AG
ATF Form 1 Creating or Manufacturing your own SBR FAQ

Quote:

What about switching calibers and/or barrel length after my Form 1 stamp is approved?

Your Form 1 was approved for a specific caliber, overall length, and barrel length. However you are allowed to "temporarily" change the upper length or caliber but only if you maintain the original upper and ability switch back afterward. If you sell the upper and switch permanently to a different upper then you would need to send a notification to the ATF letting them know of the official change. You don't pay the stamp or go through the Form 1 process again, just a notification.
45-70Ag
AG
dubi said:

ATF Form 1 Creating or Manufacturing your own SBR FAQ

Quote:

What about switching calibers and/or barrel length after my Form 1 stamp is approved?

Your Form 1 was approved for a specific caliber, overall length, and barrel length. However you are allowed to "temporarily" change the upper length or caliber but only if you maintain the original upper and ability switch back afterward. If you sell the upper and switch permanently to a different upper then you would need to send a notification to the ATF letting them know of the official change. You don't pay the stamp or go through the Form 1 process again, just a notification.

Way too complicated of a process
It's not illegal so they've made the process a deterrent for some, like me.
dubi
AG
5 minute swap once you get good at it. Mr Dubi has a drop in 9mm Colt conversion for his 223 lower.

We now have a dedicated 9mm rifle, but he still shoots his SBR in 9 cuz he can.

/Let me clarify that I just watch him swap this stuff.
bevokilla
AG
Finally finished buying pieces and got it all put together except optics.

In addition I swung by Texian and finally bought my HK.

maverick2076
My new SBR

dr_boogs
AG
Nice looking hand guard and I'm in the market. What is it?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Looks like an ALG
dr_boogs
AG
Sweet. Thanks!
bevokilla
AG
It is an ALG
bevokilla
AG
Now is the time to buy.

https://algdefense.com/blems.html?p=2
Average Joe
AG
bevokilla said:

Now is the time to buy.

https://algdefense.com/blems.html?p=2

I got one when the sale started. My "blem" was a misstamped logo. Boohoo.

Although, I'm kinda upset now because the sale wasn't supposed to last this long and I settled on the partial rail since they were out of the full rail. Now they have more, and in mlock instead of keymod.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Built my first two AR15 lowers. Not that difficult, but I did pickup some specialized tools to do it right.
Three things I learned...
1) Don't use the small detents for the safety selector. (You will know its wrong when it doesn't turn)
2) A taped-over razor blade to hold down the pivot pin detent is a great idea.
3) A padded white room might be the best place to build your first lower. I bought an "oops kit" and had to use one detent spring from it after launching across the room and loosing it.
4) Don't install disconnector spring upside down (easy fix, remove trigger pins and flip, replace pins)
Now my question below

After building the second one, I realized that I installed the disconnector spring upside down (big end up).
I corrected it before any use. I understand much better what happens in the lower, but not so much how it interacts with the upper.
What if anything would be a symptom of that spring being installed upside down?
CTGilley
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

Built my first 2 AR15 lowers.
After building the second one, I realized that I installed the disconnector spring upside down (big end up).
I corrected it before any use. I understand much better what happens in the lower, but not so much how it interacts with the upper.
The spring could fall out of place and your trigger would fail to reset.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
CTGilley said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

Built my first 2 AR15 lowers.
The spring could fall out of place and your trigger would fail to reset.
Thank you, I am glad I caught it.
I wonder if it was always that way back to the 1960's or was this part of the M16/AR15 evolution?
Daddy-O5
AG
Odin Works ATLAS Compensator

Anyone know anything about these? I am down to the last few pieces for my Grendel build.

I have a stainless 20" Odin Works 6.5 barrel, not real familiar with the finer points of muzzle brakes/devices, any general advice welcome.
45-70Ag
AG
What's the thought on the M-Lok hand guards offered by aero precision?

Looks like they're offered with one set a few inches short of the flash guard and the other is right on the flash guard.
TheVarian
AG
What are you looking to find out?

I have an Aero upper with the keymod slots and the only thing I can add is that the body of the handgaurd is wider than most I've felt. I wear a small-medium in gloves size though and have shot with mostly pencil style hand guards

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-105in-556-barrel-complete-upper-receiver.html Link for end barrel to guard comparison

Another company you might want to look at is ALG/Geissle. They are heavily into Mlok and make superb products.

Edit: spelling sucks.
45-70Ag
AG
Just curious about the length.

Would the influenc anything in how it operates?
TheVarian
AG
Irish_Man said:

Just curious about the length.

Would the influenc anything in how it operates?

I don't think so, unless you have it going over the brake, but don't ever do that.
ag0207
AG
Larue is offering some awesome build kits in 556, 6.5 Grendel & 300 BLK. Just an FYI

http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit?mc_cid=b28aced1b2&mc_eid=0261d8511f

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Any opinions on reduced power trigger and hammer springs (saw some from Kaw Valley)?
BenderRodriguez
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

Any opinions on reduced power trigger and hammer springs (saw some from Kaw Valley)?

My initial thought would be if I was looking to improve a trigger I'd rather go with an aftermarket trigger rather than risk fiddling with reduced power springs, especially with so many AR trigger options out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.