Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,160 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what price range are we talking about since as you said, it isn't $$$$$?
BenderRodriguez
AG
So I'm cheating a bit, because the SSA-E was free.

But if you did a stock trigger instead, and ditched the ambi stuff for standard parts....just under $700 for the type of gun I'm putting together.

To give you an idea on what you can spend, the best (imo) light receiver set (stripped upper and lower) starts at $500. With the exception of the AIM lightweight that I am going to grab at $130, some of the other lightweight BCGs can run from $250-400. Titanium pins, grip screws, ejection port covers, etc. Really crazy stuff.

If I was spending someone else money I could have a lot of fun trying to make a super light weight AR.

If you're interested in the lightweight game, there's a running 6lbs and under thread on AR15.com

Just as an example from that thread, here's a gun that's under 6lbs with an ACOG and a light (not mine):

You're going to have to spend a little more than I did to get under 6 with an ACOG though.

dubi
AG
How heavy is the ACOG?
BenderRodriguez
AG
That particular model is ~10 oz with mount.

TamuKid
AG
Nice build. I want to get under 6 for my next.

Got me wondering: What's the weight difference between that B5 stock and a MFT Minimalist, for example?

5.8 oz for MFT
8.25 oz for B5

So you could save another few ounces going lighter on the stock. 2.45 oz less, which is a slightly bigger savings than the BCG weight savings. But of course, if you like the B5 it's worth the slightly extra weight cost.

Strike Industries has a polymer dust cover (0.3 oz), that shaves very small weight (<.3 oz from a normal aluminum door) and also gets rid of the pin and c-clip design (nice added benefit).

Couple cheap options to shave weight without going the $$$$ titanium route.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Plastic CAR stock is about the lightest thing out there I think at 4.6 ounces.

But really, if you want to do lightweight on the cheap there are 4 big areas that can save you weight.

1) barrel.

the 14.5" faxon pencil barrel I'm using is 17.5 ounces, where a standard govt profile 14.5" barrel is 24.5 ounces.

2) rail.

The 13" ALG rail is 9.3 ounces, vs 15.4 ounces for a similar 9" quad rail set up

3) bolt

The AIM lightweight BCG is 8.8 ounces, vs ~11.5 or so for a standard BCG.

4) stock

A Magpul MOE stock is 8 ounces, Sopmod is 8.25, CTR is 8.8, ACS-L is 12.5, vs 4.6 for a CAR or 6 or so for the MFT or Rogers stocks.

Even if you don't choose the lightest stock, none of those four items will break the bank and combined will take ~18 ounces (or more than a POUND) off the rifle weight. Pretty staggering, especially when that pound is so easy to make back up with an optic and a light.

I like the Sopmod stocks enough I don't really care that much about a couple of ounces there (okay if it's just a hair over 6lbs with optic I'll probably throw a lighter stock on just to get it under 6 for a picture).

But even with an optic, light and loaded mag, this thing should be close to 7 lbs or just over max.

I've tried out a bunch of different configurations/styles...and I think this is going to get pretty close to "ideal" for me.

Until I find something new to try, anyway.

Naveronski
AG
Why not SBR for light weight?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'll try to get some pics up in a bit but we have a lightweight build we did in store that's pretty sweet and didn't even go too crazy with. It still have a government profile barrel and it's at 5 1/4 lbs. Had a couple pencil barrels come in that we need to swap out, I bet it'll get under 5 with one of those.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Why not SBR for light weight?

Because it's not even a challenge.

AgEngineer72
AG
Bender- your comment about being left handed caught my attention since I'm a southpaw. Should I do something different in my first build to accommodate it? I shot a loaner AR15 quite bit in 1980-1981 and don't remember any issues shooting left handed. But want to be sure.
maverick2076
I'm a lefty too. I like ambi safeties and charging handles, but that is as far as I go.
AgEngineer72
AG
What is different on the safety & charging handle to make it ambi?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Bender- your comment about being left handed caught my attention since I'm a southpaw. Should I do something different in my first build to accommodate it? I shot a loaner AR15 quite bit in 1980-1981 and don't remember any issues shooting left handed. But want to be sure.

Standard safety is only on the left side of the receiver (from the rear). Works great for right handed shooters who can keep their firing grip and use thumb to engage/disengage. It's useable as a lefty, but not as easy. Ambi safety just adds a lever on the right side so you can use your thumb as a lefty.

Charging handle is less of an issue, but the latch is also on the left side. This will be my only AR with an ambi and I've never had issues using the charging handle...but since I grabbed the ambi safety I picked up an ambi charging handle as well.

Honestly you won't have many issues using all standard parts. We're left handed shooters and used to work arounds on everything. But you do have the option to make the gun more lefty friendly.
BenderRodriguez
AG
To expand on my previous smart ass response to why not SBR: The reason I'm going for a light, ambidextrous 16" gun this time instead of SBR or something else besides wanting a lightweight gun for Cola Warrior is that I teach new shooters. Having an AR that is light and easy to handle, with ambi controls will be a great next step from .22 rifle for newbies. Going with a 16" gun keeps the concussion/noise down a bit compared to an SBR and keeps me from having to get into the dirt of how and why you can't just buy a 10.5" upper and a standard lower and slap them together when I should be teaching fundamentals instead.
dubi
AG
quote:
I'm a lefty too. I like ambi safeties and charging handles, but that is as far as I go.
Another lefty.

Charging handle doesn't bother me. Ambi safety is all Mr Dubi changes for my guns.
Mr. Dubi
Mr. Dubi
I tried to post a pic of Dubi's gun, but the Google Gods have decided to 'enhance' Picasa and I can't create a link. Her '5 pound' rifle is up to 5.6 pounds with TLR 1 rifle light and Aimpoint Micro H1.
Mr. Dubi
TamuKid
AG
quote:

How do y'all like the MFT stock?
maverick2076
I have it on my SBR, and I love it. It's solid, and it is comfortable.
dubi
AG
quote:
How do y'all like the MFT stock?

I like it

....and it does not wiggle like an MOE stock (says mr dubi).
Mr. Dubi
As mentioned, comfortable and more secure than MOE (I have Magpul stocks on all of my rifles) inexpensive, light and has QD sling sockets.

I'm trying to think of something not to like about it, but can't really.
AgEngineer72
AG
Ouch- googled ambi safeties & charging handles. Not cheap based on quick look. May just get by with standard parts for a while.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Ouch- googled ambi safeties & charging handles. Not cheap based on quick look. May just get by with standard parts for a while.
$30 is too expensive? Buy once, cry once.
dubi
AG
quote:

Mr Dubi said ambi safeties for an AR were inexpensive. I'll have him post a link.

My 15-22 ambi was pricey.

YOU NEED AN AMBI SAFETY ON YOUR AR! It makes it so much easier!
maverick2076
quote:

EyeGuy has an ambi charging handle that is pretty well priced and works well. Another option is a side charging upper. The right side ones an be found for not much more than a standard upper/BCG/CH combo, and they are really nice for a lefty. I have one in my 18" AR and like it.
dr_boogs
AG
Another lefty's opinion, I added left handed features to my AR 6 months ago and wonder why I waited so long. There are quite a few ambi configs, metal, polymer, even different degrees they have to be turned to move from safe to fire.

I don't have an ambi charging handle, but I did add an ambi mag release which is a really nice feature.

Dubi - adding an ambi safety to my 15-22 is on my to-do list, why will S&W parts be my only option?
dubi
AG
quote:

Dubi - adding an ambi safety to my 15-22 is on my to-do list, why will S&W parts be my only option?

I was incorrect above about M&P being sole source. Mr dubi says 15-22 ambi's are just not common.

"Pricey" because they cost 2 x as much as AR ambi.

He bought me this one.

Dr Boogs, you can try mine when we go shooting!

AgEngineer72
AG
quote:
quote:
Part of my reaction was that I didn't know what to expect. Worse, my quick look turned up prices ranging from $45 to $100+ for the safety and a higher range for the charging handle. Kinda looked like the 2would be equal to 25-30% of the rest of the parts. Fortunately probably not.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Part of my reaction was that I didn't know what to expect. Worse, my quick look turned up prices ranging from $45 to $100+ for the safety and a higher range for the charging handle. Kinda looked like the 2would be equal to 25-30% of the rest of the parts. Fortunately probably not.

You can always buy standard and if it really bothers you upgrade later. ARs are very plug and play.
AgEngineer72
AG
That's where I'm gonna start. Don't want to get ahead of myself.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

Sweet. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you haven't bought your LPK yet, look at Palmetto State Armory. You can get their defender classic LPK with an ambi safety and their enhanced polished trigger for $60 or so if you catch it on a sale. The trigger alone is worth the price increase. It's a solid upgrade over stock without breaking the bank.
AgEngineer72
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you haven't bought your LPK yet, look at Palmetto State Armory. You can get their defender classic LPK with an ambi safety and their enhanced polished trigger for $60 or so if you catch it on a sale. The trigger alone is worth the price increase. It's a solid upgrade over stock without breaking the bank.
Thanks Maverick, that does look like its worth considering. Curious- do you have to have a special lower to accommodate an ambi safety? For example, can you use this kit with an Anderson lower or is modification required? The specs in the Primary Arms listing says the Anderson lower is not ambi.
AgEngineer72
AG
quote:
quote:

Sweet. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions.

Bender- really appreciate your offer as well as all you've put into this thread. incredible resource for some one like me.

Please explain barrels- I see references in ads for 14.5' barrels. doesn't some one like me need a 16'? Also what are the advantages to different materials and finishes- stainless, nitride, chrome, melonite, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.