Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,133 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Comes with upper
35chililights
AG
quote:
I do not. I've looked at them for a while, and they seem to be well received.

If you had changed your mind, I was going to offer to buy yours.

Do you have any experience with magwell blocks?
What keeps my attention with the quarter circle ten lower is the glock mags. Specifically the cheap magpul glock mags.
What makes me loose attention is the deticated to that caliber part of the lower.

Since I already have the SanTan lower SBDed, if a magwell block works well, I would just do that.
Naveronski
AG
quote:
quote:
I do not. I've looked at them for a while, and they seem to be well received.

If you had changed your mind, I was going to offer to buy yours.

Do you have any experience with magwell blocks?
What keeps my attention with the quarter circle ten lower is the glock mags. Specifically the cheap magpul glock mags.
What makes me loose attention is the deticated to that caliber part of the lower.

Since I already have the SanTan lower SBDed, if a magwell block works well, I would just do that.
I can't comment on them. I'm looking at the dedicated Glock lower.

I use/carry a Glock 19 already, and would love the commonality of magazines.
35chililights
AG
quote:

Oh, for sure. I've have springsfields. So it makes me want to also get a glock. Lol.
Naveronski
AG
quote:
quote:

Oh, for sure. I've have springsfields. So it makes me want to also get a glock. Lol.

And you should!
35chililights
AG
My list never seems to get any smaller. I've come to the conclusion I need to win the lotto.
35chililights
AG
Do you have/use any of the magpul glock mags? Are they any good? I'd assume they are, given magpuls reputation, but was just curious.
maverick2076
I've been using the Magpul Glock mags for a while, and have no issue. I'm building a dedicated Glock lower SBR myself on one of the New Frontier lowers you can get from Runner Runner guns. I'm just waiting on my stamp to finish buying parts.
Naveronski
AG
New Frontier vs Quarter Circle 10.

Differences other than price?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
My list never seems to get any smaller. I've come to the conclusion I need to win the lotto.

I do a lot of buying and selling. Like you, I've wanted to carry/shoot pretty much everything, so once I decide I need something new, I sell something I don't carry or shoot much anymore to fund it.

Wish I could have kept everything but I'm not made of money.
maverick2076
quote:
New Frontier vs Quarter Circle 10.

Differences other than price?
Nothing substantive that I ever found. QC10 does make one for large frame Glocks, but that is about all I could find.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Looking to get a 6920 OEM2 - does anyone have a good online source? My local shop wants $980 which seems pretty high.

I found this link earlier in the thread:

https://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920-OEM2

I've never dealt with G&R Tactical and online reviews seem to be mixed. Are they considered a reputable source?

CactusThomas
AG
Plasti-dip?
35chililights
AG
http://www.riflegear.com/p-4474-colt-le6920-oem2-rifle-no-furniture.aspx
k00bz
AG
I have purchased HK parts and BCM stuff from Grant at G&R and had no issues.
Naveronski
AG
quote:
Looking to get a 6920 OEM2 - does anyone have a good online source? My local shop wants $980 which seems pretty high.

I found this link earlier in the thread:

https://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920-OEM2

I've never dealt with G&R Tactical and online reviews seem to be mixed. Are they considered a reputable source?

Bought two BCM complete lowers from them. No issues.
dr_boogs
AG
Ok fellas, 11 pages in and I'll play. Doing my first .300 blk SBR build. Give me some advice on barrel length. Will at most shoot this weapon out to 150 yards, will likely shoot suppressed with subsonic loads quite a bit. I was thinking a 9.5 to 10 inch barrel with a 1:7 twist to handle heavier bullets. Wanted to get a fluted barrel to help increase surface area and heat dissipation, plus I like the look of that fluted barrel under the handguard. Thought I would stick with 9.5 - 10 inches to facilitate cycling. Had a buddy who works at a local gun shop recommend polygonal rifling. Will be paired with a 762 Saker suppressor.

Any thoughts on make and model, don't really have a price range (200-400). I tend to be a buy once cry once kind of guy.

Thanks for the advice.

BenderRodriguez
AG
No reason to go over 9" in 300blk IMO.

Most loads are designed to have burned all the powder by then, and the big advantage of the cartridge is the compactness....so I wouldn't bother going over that.

I really need to build a 300blk upper. One more project to get around to.

mts6175
AG
I personally would go with this one:

http://ballisticadvantage.com/10-3-inch-300-blackout-hanson-pistol-cmv-performance-barrel.html

But if you're wanting to stay at 9" as stated above, I'd go with this:

http://ballisticadvantage.com/9-inch-300-blackout-pistol-cmv-performance-barrel.html
Naveronski
AG
Agreed with Bender. 9".
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I have aprox. $115-$180 for a barrell for my AR build. Recommendations? Eyeguy reccomended a ballistic advantage but i havebt heard back from him and i know he has alot of other stuff going on with the break in
dr_boogs
AG
quote:

Most loads are designed to have burned all the powder by then, and the big advantage of the cartridge is the compactness....so I wouldn't bother going over that.

Bender and MTS6175, thanks for the suggestions. Got some advice that going to an 8 or 9 inch barrel could lead to reliability/cycling issues, which is one reason I was leaning toward the 10 inch. Any advice/thoughts on this?

Any knowledge of Yankee Hill barrels? They were recommended to me, but would love your opinion on the top 3-4 barrel manufacturers for this specific build.

It's out of stock but was looking at this one:

http://yhm.net/yhm-71-t.html

Thanks for the other suggestions as well, keep the advice coming.
The Wonderer
AG
8 and 9" (really anything below 10") barrels can create cycling problems with the 5.56/.223 round.

As stated, the .300 blk was designed for 8.2 - 9" barrel optimization. You should not have any cycling issues attributed to the length of the barrel.
Naveronski
AG
quote:
8 and 9" (really anything below 10") barrels can create cycling problems with the 5.56/.223 round.

As stated, the .300 blk was designed for 8.2 - 9" barrel optimization. You should not have any cycling issues attributed to the length of the barrel.
Agreed
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:

Bender and MTS6175, thanks for the suggestions. Got some advice that going to an 8 or 9 inch barrel could lead to reliability/cycling issues, which is one reason I was leaning toward the 10 inch. Any advice/thoughts on this?

Any knowledge of Yankee Hill barrels? They were recommended to me, but would love your opinion on the top 3-4 barrel manufacturers for this specific build.

It's out of stock but was looking at this one:

http://yhm.net/yhm-71-t.html

Thanks for the other suggestions as well, keep the advice coming.
You'll be fine with an 8" barrel on a 300BLK. Get an adjustable gas block so you can tune it between subs and supers/suppressed/unsuppressed. Have you seen Travis Haley's video on his year with 300BLK? It's from several years ago, but I still think it has some good shooting/info.

dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for that info and the video, will take a look at home tonight. One follow up, if the cycling issues can be tuned with an adjustable block, that answers that question. Follow up though - what are the group's thoughts on barrel length for accuracy out to 150 yards? Will likely use this rifle to shoot hogs (not necessarily subsonic for that use). We are in mesquite and shooting lanes are typically only 150-175 yards max. Should I go with a 10 inch barrel for that reason? Was told by the local gun shop that an 8 inch barrel would likely only be accurate out to 100 yards and I should consider a 10 inch to reliable hit targets with 300 blk at 150-175 yards.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
The Wonderer
AG
Again, the round was designed for use in 8.2 - 9" barrels. You'll be plenty accurate out to 200 yards assuming quality parts and optics.
The Wonderer
AG
And your local gun shop sounds like they're just trying to upsell you...
dubi
AG
quote:
Thanks for that info and the video, will take a look at home tonight. One follow up, if the cycling issues can be tuned with an adjustable block, that answers that question. Follow up though - what are the group's thoughts on barrel length for accuracy out to 150 yards? Will likely use this rifle to shoot hogs (not necessarily subsonic for that use). We are in mesquite and shooting lanes are typically only 150-175 yards max. Should I go with a 10 inch barrel for that reason? Was told by the local gun shop that an 8 inch barrel would likely only be accurate out to 100 yards and I should consider a 10 inch to reliable hit targets with 300 blk at 150-175 yards.

Mr Dubi hits 400 yard targets with his SBR.
dr_boogs
AG
Nah they are good people, known them a long time and just as much friends w some of them as I am a customer. Cost between the 8 and 10 inch they sourced for me were essentially the same. Glad to know you feel that an 8 inch barrel will be sufficient out to 200 though! Music to my ears.
dr_boogs
AG
Awesome, b/c that's what I'm building. Is Mr Dubi's SBR an 8 inch barrel?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Nah they are good people, known them a long time and just as much friends w some of them as I am a customer. Cost between the 8 and 10 inch they sourced for me were essentially the same. Glad to know you feel that an 8 inch barrel will be sufficient out to 200 though! Music to my ears.
Then they must not know much about the 300 blk round, because they've told you bad/incorrect information twice now regarding it and its abilities.
txyaloo
AG
quote:

I don't shoot mine much more than 120yd. 300BLK is not flat shooting at all. Take a look at some trajectory charts for both supers and subs. If you put in a lot of time with it and know your holdovers, you should be able to hit 200yd reliably, but I use a different caliber for that. The video I linked shows Travis reliably hitting steel targets at 800yd with his 8" 300BLK. His ammo budget is quite a bit higher than mine.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
The video I linked shows Travis reliably hitting steel targets at 800yd with his 8" 300BLK. His ammo budget is quite a bit higher than mine.

He's no Jerry Miculek, but he's a pretty damn good shooter.
dubi
AG
quote:
Awesome, b/c that's what I'm building. Is Mr Dubi's SBR an 8 inch barrel?
So I was NOT reading carefully. Mr Dubi's SBR is not a 300 blackout; it is 223/5.56.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.