Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

498,992 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
KW02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TThom said:

Intro AR15 to punch paper and to have because I want one

As others have suggested, maybe build one for fun as an intro AR. I bought a build kit from EyeGuy and built my first one. I also recently purchased a $29 Anderson stripped lower from Primary Arms and am going to build a low end beater AR that I can keep in the barn and the back of the Gator. I think it is worth it to build your own just for the fun of it.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TheVarian said:

EyeGuy,

Could you build a pistol for $500-600? My co-worker and I were talking about building another and he wants to build multiple.
Yeah, no problem. Pistol grab bags are historically a little nicer than the rifle ones. Still $550 on them.
TThom
Thanks for the replies. Going to head up to Texian this morning and talk w those guys. I was a little concerned that the primary arms conpletes were cheap for a reason and looks like y'all agree.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Got some new things in this week.

18" M1A scout in a Sage EBR chassis and two CWAR lowers that will get built up to Cola Warrior specs when I have the time/funds to do so.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Doing some cleaning/organizing. I'm getting very close to selling stuff off. I have too much crap.

That being said, since I had some stuff out (this isn't all of it, which is why I'm thinking it's time to start selling), thought I'd put up some pics.

Some of the .308 guns:

From top to bottom, Springfield M1A Scout in Sage chassis, PTR-91 (18"), PTR-91 (12"). I still love the G-3 style rifles. Great sights, lightweight, and the newer ones like the 12" pictured have rails for optics, paddle mag release, etc. The M1A is new, and the novelty hasn't worn off yet on it. It's heavy and I'm about to make it heavier by scoping it. Nicer trigger than the G-3 style guns, heavier, magazine manipulation is more clumsy.

My three favorite 5.56 guns:

Top to bottom: Texian Firearms 20" A4 clone, 14.5" lightweight build (my favorite rifle, period), 10.5" pistol with law folder. They're all good guns in different ways. The 20" gun is a soft, soft shooter. The 14.5" gun is just so light and handy, it's my favorite shooter by far. The 10.5" gun fits into a backpack with the law folder and makes a great travel gun. 2 out of the 3 have G triggers. Need to put one in the 20" gun at some point, and get an ACOG to make it a more correct A4. Might also freefloat the 10.5" gun and put in some ambi parts. Part of the motivation of maybe selling some stuff is to get these three all set up perfectly because I'm def keeping these three.

Finally, some of the pistols:

Glock 22 with red dot and comp set up for USPSA Open and Steel Challenge. P-09, Dan Wesson Guardian 1911 in 9mm, CZ-75 SA with CGW upgrades and flat trigger, P-01 with CGW upgrades, Ruger LCP, Glock 19.

I've carried and competed with (minus the LCP) every single one of the above pistols, and like them all quite a bit. The red dot on the 22 makes it a breeze to shoot well.

The "compact" options:

12" G3k clone with an ace folder and sig brace, and a 10.5" AR with a law folder and shockwave brace. It's nice to have small options.

Got to thinking about what I'd keep if I could only keep one of each type. Really, really tough call. This is what I settled on:

The 12" G3k would get SBRd so I could use the HK stock on it. 14.5" AR is just a great shooter, light, everything I want in a rifle. The P-09 isn't my most customized gun or have the best trigger, but its easy to carry and I could use it in IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc so if I was stuck with only one pistol (the horror), it would do everything I wanted to do with a pistol.

If yall were stuck with one rifle and one pistol out of what you own, what would you go with?
texrover91
AG
For me it would be my AAC SBR suppressed as an all around keeper

If I could also have one hunting rifle it would be my Kimber .300WSM

And I'd be interested in any CZ or rollers you decide to part with

Surprised you didn't post your RS; did the M1A knock the bloom off the rose?

maverick2076
For me it would be my G19, my suppressed AR9 SBR, and my 18" 5.56 AR. That might change if I ever get my Grendel SBR built, or if I get enough trigger time on my P01 to feel as confident with it as I do my Glock.
BenderRodriguez
AG
texrover91 said:

And I'd be interested in any CZ or rollers you decide to part with

Surprised you didn't post your RS; did the M1A knock the bloom off the rose?

Still have the reverse stretch, it just wasn't in the area that I was cleaning out yesterday.

Funny you mention it though, bloom is off slightly, though it has nothing to do with the M1A.

I partially blame these two guns:

With the Zev trigger and red dot, I can make hits on a B-27 out to 100 pretty consistently with that Glock, and the 10.5" AR isn't but a few inches bigger than the MP5 folded, and about the same size unfolded.

So if I can have close to the same weight and size, but 5.56 instead of 9mm, better ergos, a better trigger, etc.... the 10.5" AR starts making more sense than the MP5. A red dot pistol is more likely to actually get carried, and can be used almost as effectively as the MP5 at distance.

I love the MP5 and it's a blast to shoot, but it just isn't really fitting the niche I hoped it would based on what else I own. Frankly, I'm considering ditching it and building another AR in 9mm this time, with the same law folder set up if I still want a small 9mm "pistol". I'd get AR ambi controls, similar size, better trigger....something like this is real tempting:

Daddy-O5
AG
Ghost Upper - FDE

I bought this FDE Upper from primary arms when they were running a sale a couple of months ago, but the FDE seems to be a little darker than magpul's FDE. Any suggestions on how to match it up, determine the right shade? First time dealing with FDE.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Ghost Upper - FDE

I bought this FDE Upper from primary arms when they were running a sale a couple of months ago, but the FDE seems to be a little darker than magpul's FDE. Any suggestions on how to match it up, determine the right shade? First time dealing with FDE.

Pull an FNH and just say Eff it and do a "50 shades of FDE" like they do with the scar. Make it purposefully not match and then it'll look fine.
Daddy-O5
AG
Pretty much how she looks now. Maybe I'll just stick with it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

Ghost Upper - FDE

Pull an FNH and just say Eff it and do a "50 shades of FDE" like they do with the scar. Make it purposefully not match and then it'll look fine.
Agreed. Look at it this way, the purpose of camo patterns is to break up an object's silhouette so it blends into its surroundings easier. Multiple shades of FDE? Mission accomplished IMO
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Yeah, FDE is pretty variable. Scar pic for reference:

HvilleAggie
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Yeah, FDE is pretty variable. Scar pic for reference:

maverick2076
Re the AR-9: Do it. I love mine, although It doesn't have a folder and it is an SBR. Its probably my favorite gun to shoot. Plus, you can build them so much cheaper now than you could when I built mine.
The Wonderer
AG
maverick2076 said:

Re the AR-9: Do it. I love mine, although It doesn't have a folder and it is an SBR. Its probably my favorite gun to shoot. Plus, you can build them so much cheaper now than you could when I built mine.
Know anything about an AR-45? I have my Scorpion EVO in SBR, so was looking at a different caliber in AR.
CactusThomas
AG
PSA has been listing some pretty cheap AR-9 uppers. They list them as for use with their dedicated ar9 lowers. Would it be possible to build a lower that would work with their uppers from a standard AR15 stripped lower?
maverick2076
The Wonderer said:

maverick2076 said:

Know anything about an AR-45? I have my Scorpion EVO in SBR, so was looking at a different caliber in AR.
Yup. I helped a buddy build one. At that time, Quarter Circle 10 was the only place selling lowers, and they were pricey. I think PSA and New Frontier have lowers now, so it should be a much easier build.

You need to use an upper with an ejection port sized for .458 SOCOM. Everything is pretty easy to find. His was a sweet shooter.

Runner Runner guns has AR 45 lowers in stock.

http://www.runnerrunnerguns.com/product_p/ffl-rrg-b-45-10.htm
maverick2076
You should. It would just need a mag block compatible with Glock mags, I think, although don't quote me on that. I'm not sure how the mag release would work with that. You'd have to do a little google-fu to double check. There is no reason the upper won't mate up with a standard lower though.
texrover91
AG
Sounds like You just need a short barrel HK33 in 5.56 (even better = .300blk).
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think I'd have to stick with my 16" PSA build with a PA 4x and my Kimber Pro Covert II
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

Just got done with my second build, this AR pistol.

Aero precision upper and lower
300 blackout, 8.5" barrel w/ fake can (for now)
Troy 13" handguard
Larue MBT
Elf Tactical Ambi Safety
Magpul grip, BAD lever, and MBUS
SBPDW pistol brace

I'm excited to take it out soon.

Ended up going with an Eotech 512 HWS. Also threw on a Magpul hand stop and mounted my Streamlight Protac to complete my AR pistol PDW build. Aside from suppressing it, it's essentially done. Hopefully will be able to take it out within a week or two.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ulysses90
AG
I'm not sure why but it exists and is for sale at Defender Outdoors. To each his own.

SPIKE'S TACTICAL STLS030 SNOWFLAKE STRIPPED LOWER
maverick2076
Dammit. I thought for a second that was a My Little Pony lower and I was going to get to build my daughter her first rifle.
Naveronski
AG
maverick2076 said:

Dammit. I thought for a second that was a My Little Pony lower and I was going to get to build my daughter her first rifle.

You don't need an excuse to buy yourself a MLP rifle.
KW02
AG
Wanting to do a low end AR for the ranch...what do the wise men think of these Black Friday options:

$269
http://www.primaryarms.com/PRIMARY-16-MLOK

$279
http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-16-inch-556-mid-socom-upper-cfu16-5.56soc-12mhr-zs

$279
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-15-keymod-upper-with-bcg-ch-516447252.html

Or other suggestions? Could probably piece one together over time with specials.

Will still need to get a lower build kit. Thanks.
The Wonderer
AG
I've got Radical and PSA uppers, but like the PSAs a little more than the Radicals. $279 include teh BCG and CH is a great deal.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
KW02 said:

Wanting to do a low end AR for the ranch...what do the wise men think of these Black Friday options:

$269
http://www.primaryarms.com/PRIMARY-16-MLOK

$279
http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-16-inch-556-mid-socom-upper-cfu16-5.56soc-12mhr-zs

$279
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-15-keymod-upper-with-bcg-ch-516447252.html

Or other suggestions? Could probably piece one together over time with specials.

Will still need to get a lower build kit. Thanks.
Stay away from the radical upper.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
KW02
AG
Thanks Wonderer and EyeGuy. BTW, my Build Kit from EyeGuy has been great. Great business.
CTGilley
AG
K2+ vs. Ergo Grip? I picked up both stupid cheap this weekend and now I cannot decide which I like better.....
maverick2076
Between those two I prefer the Ergo. However, MFT has a grip with interchangeable front and back straps that is my favorite.
CTGilley
AG
My trigger pin on my RRA Operator wants to walk out. I don't feel it has near enough rounds through it to bee that loose.

What should I check? I have done zero modifications to this gun. The springs look to be in place. What else should I check?

What is the best option? Steak them? Glue? Anti walking pins? Other options.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely steak them, though you'll have to go a little more done than I usually like or you'll have the same problem
CTGilley
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Definitely steak them, though you'll have to go a little more done than I usually like or you'll have the same problem
I will take them to Roadhouse. I ordered medium rare and received extra crispy last night.

Stake*
CharlieBrown17
AG
Damn. That Wednesday special is usually good eating

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.