Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

527,877 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
Mr. Dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maverick2076 said:

The MOE grip is fine. However, Mission First Tactical has a grip with interchangeable front and back straps that is my go to AR grip.

I'd go with the PSA LPK with their enhanced polished trigger. It's a pretty good improvement for just a few bucks more than their standard LPK.
Add JP reduced power springs to this trigger.
maverick2076
So, PSA is doing 6.5 Creedmore now...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa65-20-6-5-creedmoor-1-8-stainless-steel-15-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-and-ch-516447017.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa65-6-5-creedmoor-complete-moe-str-ept-lower-receiver-black-516447011.html
45-70Ag
AG
Well hell
About to wrap one up and then this.

Will have to start working on another.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Just got done with my second build, this AR pistol.

Aero precision upper and lower
300 blackout, 8.5" barrel w/ fake can (for now)
Troy 13" handguard
Larue MBT
Elf Tactical Ambi Safety
Magpul grip, BAD lever, and MBUS
SBPDW pistol brace

I'm excited to take it out soon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
texrover91
AG
Nice - how do you like that PDW brace?
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
texrover91 said:

Nice - how do you like that PDW brace?

So far?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AGricola08
AG
Looks great. What trigger you have in there? ambi safety (doesnt look like one)?
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
AGricola08 said:

Looks great. What trigger you have in there? ambi safety (doesnt look like one)?

Thanks. I've got a Larue Tactical two stage trigger (MBT-2S) and this Elf Tactical push button ambi safety
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Looking for an RDS for my new 300blk pistol (above). Will mostly be used for plinking/home defense. I don't want to spend too much, my ideal price point is around $200, so top of my list so far are the Vortex Sparcs (I vs II). I'm willing to go higher if I can find a used Eotech 512 for around $300, but I'm aware of the Eotech issues around a year ago so I'm weary of buying one used. Any other recommendations for an RDS? TIA.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Holosun... very well regarded and in your budget. I like it better than the vortex optics because the vortex optics have a bunch of crap on the outside of the tube that you can see while looking through the optic. Drives me bonkers. As to quality.... Holosun is who was making the Sig Sauer red dots before Sig got the FBI contract that specified they had to be built in the states.
CactusThomas
AG
Keep an eye on Palmetto State Armory's daily deals. They have had the vortex sparc 2 for $179 with 10 pmags included. They have been running this deal a few days per week for the past few weeks.
TheEyeGuy
AG
CactusThomas said:

Keep an eye on Palmetto State Armory's daily deals. They have had the vortex sparc 2 for $179 with 10 pmags included. They have been running this deal a few days per week for the past few weeks.
For basically a hundred bucks, I'd be ok with that red dot as well, if you need the extra mags.
maverick2076
Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot is another great one for the money. Crisp dot, holds zero, and the battery life is awesome. Mine stays on 24/7. I changed the battery on my birthday, which was about 14 months after I got it, and it was still going strong.
BenderRodriguez
AG
maverick2076 said:

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot is another great one for the money. Crisp dot, holds zero, and the battery life is awesome. Mine stays on 24/7. I changed the battery on my birthday, which was about 14 months after I got it, and it was still going strong.

This is what I'm using on my open Glock
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
CactusThomas said:

I've seen that deal but unfortunately I live in a state that acknowledges that 30rd mags are vastly more dangerous compared to 20rd or less mags. I suppose I could buy the deal and have it shipped to Texas, then have the sparc mailed to me, but I know for certain no one in my family needs any more mags, and the 10 pmags would just go into the "PSA Free Mags box" that's already getting full. So the only thing I'd get from the deal is inconvenience, unfortunately.
CactusThomas
AG
I too have a unused "free PSA mag" box.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Holosun... very well regarded and in your budget. I like it better than the vortex optics because the vortex optics have a bunch of crap on the outside of the tube that you can see while looking through the optic. Drives me bonkers. As to quality.... Holosun is who was making the Sig Sauer red dots before Sig got the FBI contract that specified they had to be built in the states.

Thanks for the reply, EG. Just browsing the Holosuns real quick, it looks like they have a lot of different models in my price range. Is there a particular model that you'd recommend off the top of your head? Sorry I'm at work and I'm not able to go through the differences in detail between each model.

Also, I'm seeing a couple used Eotech 512s online for around $225-$275. Assuming they are in good condition and stay at or near that price, is that a good deal and would it be worth the ~$50-75 extra over a Holosun? Especially given the previous issues with Eotechs.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Thanks for the reply, EG. Just browsing the Holosuns real quick, it looks like they have a lot of different models in my price range. Is there a particular model that you'd recommend off the top of your head? Sorry I'm at work and I'm not able to go through the differences in detail between each model.

Also, I'm seeing a couple used Eotech 512s online for around $225-$275. Assuming they are in good condition and stay at or near that price, is that a good deal and would it be worth the ~$50-75 extra over a Holosun? Especially given the previous issues with Eotechs.
Yeah, that's a good deal on them. Depends on if you want the reticle or the dot. Some people hate the reticle, some love it. I love it. I run an EXPS 3-2 on my sbr/night rifle with a PVS-14 behind it. Slick setup.

The one I sell the most of is the 403C... I think. It's like 199 (Texags price is 175) and has a solar cell on top so you only use the battery at night or if you want extra brightness. To demo it in store, I actually leave the battery out and let people see that it runs even without a battery, which I love.
jabberwalkie09
AG
To tack onto what EyeGuy said, the other thing to consider is battery type and if it makes a difference to you. The 512 uses AA batteries, where the Holosuns will use a button style of battery. The Holosuns do have pretty good battery life though, like 50,000 hours of battery life I think.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
What are your and Eyeguy's thoughts on prism scopes? Was checking out Primary Arms sights on the advice of Maverick, and ran across this PA 3x prism scope.
BenderRodriguez
AG
You didn't ask me, but I really like prism scopes. I have a PA 5x on my go to build with the acss reticle that I also really like.

I'm seriously considering a 2.5x instead of a red dot for my 10.5" pistol.

They can still be very fast up close, giving you the ability to quickly get on target like a red dot, but it's so much easier to make accurate shots at distance with a litttle magnification. For me, prisms are the best "do everything" compromise there is.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Your advice/input (and many others on this thread) is always appreciated. I've built two ARs in the last 9 months due in large part to this thread, so by all means feel free to chime in whenever.

Regarding the prisms, the "do everything compromise" has me intrigued, especially at the sub $300 price point for the 3 and 5x PAs. Might be the way I want to go.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

What are your and Eyeguy's thoughts on prism scopes? Was checking out Primary Arms sights on the advice of Maverick, and ran across this PA 3x prism scope.
I think they're great. Like Bender said, I'd probably lean more towards the 2.5x scope over the 3x. I also like that you don't have a bunch of junk mounted on top of the rifle weighing you down, like when you have a movable magnifier, when you stick with a prism scope as well. Being a fixed power, you don't have to zoom out and back in either leading to faster acquisition.

Biggest difference is you have to decide whether you want unlimited eye relief like with a red dot sight, or a fixed eye relief like with a scope works better for your application. Personally, I'd lean more towards the fixed power so I can distinguish a target better at distance but if it's a range toy I'd have no issue with using just a red dot.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I have two prism scopes and like both.

I have a PA 4x on a PSA build and an ACOG on a M6. To be honest I didn't buy the ACOG, it was inherited, but really I don't think the glass on the ACOG is worth the extra $$$ but I wish I did have an ACOG with the fiber illumination. The ACSS is better than the the trijicon reticles imo.

I guess that was a long winded way of saying I have experience with both and I still really like my PA
jabberwalkie09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I have a PA 4x on a PSA build and an ACOG on a M6. To be honest I didn't buy the ACOG, it was inherited, but really I don't think the glass on the ACOG is worth the extra $$$ but I wish I did have an ACOG with the fiber illumination. The ACSS is better than the the trijicon reticles imo.

I guess that was a long winded way of saying I have experience with both and I still really like my PA
Trijicon has two models with the ACSS, the TA-31 (4x) and the TA-44 (1.5x).
CharlieBrown17
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Trijicon has two models with the ACSS, the TA-31 (4x) and the TA-44 (1.5x).

Sort of, its a special order by Primary Arms only available through them
jabberwalkie09
AG
They're still made by Trijicon, are they not? They're also available at Optics Planet in addition to Primary Arms.

TA-31
TA-44
CharlieBrown17
AG
Either way its still not their reticle which was all my original comment was. I'm aware that PA gets the ACSS put into a ACOG.

If its changed to where trijicon is licensing it and selling it themselves that's news to me and would be a great deal for PA.

I still don't really think an ACOG, even with the ACSS, is worth the extra cash over a PA prism from a performance standpoint.
jefe95
AG
So with the texas church shooting, the AR-15 seems to be the villain again.

What's the supply/demand scene looking like?
The Wonderer
AG
jefe95 said:

So with the texas church shooting, the AR-15 seems to be the villain again.

What's the supply/demand scene looking like?
It was also the weapon that took down the shooter.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Due to the Air Force failure to report his crime that would have prevented this (legally purchasing a firearm by passing a 4473), I am going to say highly unlikely.

Dems will use any white make shooting to push their agenda though while gangmembers in Baltimore and Chicago kill people everyday to no Dem outcry.
TThom
Bender or anyone else - Any thoughts on either of these for a budget (~$500) AR15? Also thinking of a Texian budget build. Looking to buy in the next few days. Intro AR15 to punch paper and to have because I want one

http://www.primaryarms.com/ghost-firearms-16in-m4-5.56-m4-rifle-gf15-556-16bn-gfr14-blk

http://www.primaryarms.com/PA16556M4

BenderRodriguez
AG
I've never heard of Ghost before.

Radical has some QC issues with assembly at times....wouldn't recommend that for someone who doesn't have experience trouble shooting their own ARs.

How handy are you? Lowers are super easy to put together with minimal tools, you could buy a stripped lower and a kit, put your own lower together and buy an assembled upper. That's what I did with my first build to get the feel for things.

The great thing about building your own is you can set up the gun exactly how you want. My favorite build is a lightweight gun that I could not have ordered anywhere, but I picked the parts, assembled it myself and it's a fantastic shooter.

BreNayPop
AG
Texian firearms will set you up with an excellent budget ar- the 6.5 grendel i bought from justin is one of my favs. But i have bought and put together 9 of the psa ARs and all are good to very good. Ive built them as first rifles for dad and sister in law and brother and bro in law... none have complaints. And i dont have complaints for the price.

Edit to add, i saw primary arms was still running the stripped anderson lowers at 29.99 this week so buy 5 and build however u like... at least thats what started me.
TheVarian
AG
EyeGuy,

Could you build a pistol for $500-600? My co-worker and I were talking about building another and he wants to build multiple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.