Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

498,990 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm thinking about unloading the AR that I had my BIL build last year ... brand new, zero rounds through, just sittin in the safe for a little extra scratch for an upcoming Vegas jaunt.

Texags aside, what is a reasonable going rate these days for a similar setup? if I do decide to I'll give it a run through the OB if anyone's looking for a complete build before throwing it on classifieds. Mostly AP/PSA components

AeroPrecision stripped upper
AeroPrecision stripped lower
AeroPrecision AR15 Upper Parts Kit
PSA Magpul MOE Lower Build Kit
AeroPrecision 5.56 BCG
BCM Low Profile Gas Block
BCM mid-length Gas Tube
BCM Charging Handle (5.56/.223) w/ Mod 4 (medium) latch
BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Barrel Stripped
AeroPrecision AR15 12" Quantum KeyMod Handguard

AgLA06
AG
jetch17 said:

So I'm thinking about unloading the AR that I had my BIL build last year ... brand new, zero rounds through, just sittin in the safe for a little extra scratch for an upcoming Vegas jaunt.

This is sooooo Jetch! Never change.
jetch17
BenderRodriguez
AG
Between those two, I prefer nitride over phosphate.

Also consider adding a law folder. They make pistol ARs compact and add a little extra lop, which are both nice features.

I have 10.5" 5.56 and 8.5" 300 blk uppers. I think you're going to like them both.
SharkinAg
AG
Should I be concerned about the carbine length gas system vs the pistol length gas system?
BCStalk
I might be corrected, but I believe 223 operates better with carbine gas systems.
SharkinAg
AG
BCStalk said:

I might be corrected, but I believe 223 operates better with carbine gas systems.

Gotcha. Did a little online research and that's what I've found as well. Thanks for the input.
BenderRodriguez
AG
SharkinAg said:

Should I be concerned about the carbine length gas system vs the pistol length gas system?
For a 10.5" AR in 5.56? Yes, absolutely. If one of the options you linked is pistol gas in 5.56, I apologize for missing that...go with the carbine gas.

Pressure would be much higher with pistol gas and 5.56.
SharkinAg
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

SharkinAg said:

For a 10.5" AR in 5.56? Yes, absolutely. If one of the options you linked is pistol gas in 5.56, I apologize for missing that...go with the carbine gas.

Pressure would be much higher with pistol gas and 5.56.

Thanks for the advice. The one that you recommended had the carbine gas system and I read other things online that said to stay away from the pistol gas system. I ordered one. Gonna do this one then piece together a nice 300blk. Thanks again.
BenderRodriguez
AG
If anyone else is looking to throw together a 10.5" pistol, this is a stupid good deal.

10.5" build kit, sparc red dot, 10 pmags, magpul mbus rear sight....$450.

Just add lower and ammo.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-classic-shockwave-pistol-kit-w-vortex-sparc-mbus-rear-sight-10-pmags.html
DevilYack
AG
I'm looking for advice on picking out an AR in the $1500 range. The use would be general plinking and an occasional tactical carbine course with my kids. The Bravo Company Recces look nice, but don't know if that would be a good choice. Don't have time to build my own right now, so I'm looking only at pre-assembled. I would have just rolled by Eyeguy's shop if I was in Houston, but I'm up in DFW.
gibberish
AG
DevilYack said:

I'm looking for advice on picking out an AR in the $1500 range. The use would be general plinking and an occasional tactical carbine course with my kids. The Bravo Company Recces look nice, but don't know if that would be a good choice. Don't have time to build my own right now, so I'm looking only at pre-assembled. I would have just rolled by Eyeguy's shop if I was in Houston, but I'm up in DFW.
BCM and/or Daniel Defense would be my choices.

The Daniel Defense has an ever so slight nicer finish to the fine details, but the BCMs are solid choices.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Whistle pig has their colored, lightweight 10/22 barrels 50% off with free shipping (no tax). I have a few and these are on par with most of the other lightweight barrel makers. Maybe *slightly* lower than a Kidd but unless you shoot benchrest you wont notice. These make for a good lightweight or steel rig.

http://www.wpgbc.com/category-s/54.htm
DatTallArchitect
AG
DevilYack said:

Don't have time to build my own right now, so I'm looking only at pre-assembled. I would have just rolled by Eyeguy's shop if I was in Houston, but I'm up in DFW.
I would like to give you some food for thought on these statements. It only takes 1-2 hours to build an AR. I'd expect you would plan to be at the range that long any time you went, so you probably do have the time to build yourself.

Eyeguy can ship to another FFL in DFW. The owner of Purple Heart Pawn is an Aggie that posts on here regularly. That would allow you to do business with two solid Aggies.

Like I said, just some things to consider.
SharkinAg
AG
Any recommendations for removing a stuck set screw on a gas block? Torque screw is trying to strip
BCStalk
Try putting tension on it and tapping the side of the gas block with a small hammer.
Yesterday
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

DevilYack said:

Don't have time to build my own right now, so I'm looking only at pre-assembled. I would have just rolled by Eyeguy's shop if I was in Houston, but I'm up in DFW.
I would like to give you some food for thought on these statements. It only takes 1-2 hours to build an AR. I'd expect you would plan to be at the range that long any time you went, so you probably do have the time to build yourself.

Eyeguy can ship to another FFL in DFW. The owner of Purple Heart Pawn is an Aggie that posts on here regularly. That would allow you to do business with two solid Aggies.

Like I said, just some things to consider.

Any FFL transfer from eyeguy is free too
45-70Ag
AG
Through my brother in law, i acquired a S&W M&P 15 sport 2 this week. Hope to shoot it next week.
DatTallArchitect
AG
03ki11erAG is the owner of Purple Heart Pawn. Want to make sure you see his generous offer above.
SharkinAg
AG
BCStalk said:

Try putting tension on it and tapping the side of the gas block with a small hammer.

Still stuck
DevilYack
AG
Thanks, 03. That's a very generous offer. I may take you up on it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

I would like to give you some food for thought on these statements. It only takes 1-2 hours to build an AR.

So, I mostly agree with the "build, not buy" consensus.

But look at how big this thread is. Look at the absolute glut of information out there about parts selection, building, tools, etc.

I think building is the best way to gain a better understanding of the platform, put together the exact rifle you want, etc. It is by far my preferred choice. But I think most of us (if we're being honest here) spent a lot more than the 1-2 hours spent actually putting it together on extra stuff like researching, ordering parts, tools, etc.

If someone doesn't want to invest the time to make sure they build it right, it's a great idea to buy from a reputable builder instead.
docaggie
AG
I bought my first one, then built the second (different calibers).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

DatTallArchitect said:

I would like to give you some food for thought on these statements. It only takes 1-2 hours to build an AR.

So, I mostly agree with the "build, not buy" consensus.

But look at how big this thread is. Look at the absolute glut of information out there about parts selection, building, tools, etc.

I think building is the best way to gain a better understanding of the platform, put together the exact rifle you want, etc. It is by far my preferred choice. But I think most of us (if we're being honest here) spent a lot more than the 1-2 hours spent actually putting it together on extra stuff like researching, ordering parts, tools, etc.

If someone doesn't want to invest the time to make sure they build it right, it's a great idea to buy from a reputable builder instead.
Very fair point. I guess I just don't notice that time, since it's typically broken up into small bits and pieces of time scattered.
CharlieBrown17
AG
My first was a lower kit and complete upper.

Have only changed the stock and handguard on that one since.

Then built a few others from the ground up since I knew what I liked/didn't about the first.

That's usually my suggestion on how to start with ARs
BenderRodriguez
AG
Buy first, build second isn't a bad way to do it. That's how most people do it, I'd bet...including me.

Speaking of changing our first ARs, my first was a midlength dissipator from PSA that I bought as separate complete lowers and uppers and slapped together.

Now that I've bought and built....several, I'm more comfortable knowing what I like. That 16" dissipator is going to get its front sight post removed, an ALG rail installed, and a 5x PA Prism slapped on so it'll basically be a 16" government profile barrel version of my pinned and welded 14.5" pencil barrel lightweight gun:

I've really been gravitating towards this set up as a "do it all" AR: B5 Sopmod, midlength gas, quality 14.5" (pinned) or 16" barrel, ALG rail, G trigger. Government profile for a suppressor, pencil if you're not going to suppress it.

From there you could go with irons, lpvos, prism, red dot, whatever fits your shooting style but that gives you a base gun that is going to give you pretty good accuracy (using quality ammo) thanks to a quality trigger, a light free float rail and a quality barrel.

I've tried a little of everything and it's pretty good for a "if i only had one" set up.
maverick2076
Well, PSA got me again. Hopped on last Thursday for the first time in months, and they had a 12" barrel 6.5 Grendel pistol kit with EPT trigger and the SBA adjustable brace for $399. I've been wanting to build a 12" 6.5 Grendel for months, and this was too good to pass up. Amazingly, it shipped Friday and should be here tomorrow.
DatTallArchitect
AG
You'll have to let us know what you think after you build it and take it to the range.
Ornlu
AG
WTB: Used AR-10. email in profile.
Mr. Dubi

Because black rifles are scary... Alumahyde spray job. It only cost me $14, so why not?
Fatvis
AG
I'm putting together a 14.5" 5.56 build (plan to pin/weld). I am getting a ballistic advantage 223 Wylde barrel w/ midlength gas system. If I plan to shoot suppressed, is an adjustable gas block necessary?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Reviving the thread with an interesting and rare malfunction. It's fixed, but I wanted to share because it's not something you see often and people may not even be aware of it being a possibility if they don't shoot ARs much.

Bolt is frozen in the forward position after a shot is fired. No amount of messing with the charging handle moves it, mortaring the rifle does nothing.

The fix required tools and some disassembly.

Any guesses?

reddog90
AG
I was gonna say mortar the **** out of that tool. I'm stumped.
CactusThomas
AG
Cam pin sheared preventing the bolt from unlocking?
BCStalk
Did you make sure you loaded the correct cartridge

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.