Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,149 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Mantis Toboggan MD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For under $100, take a look at the Streamlight ProTac, great rifle mounted light that includes a mount, pressure switch, and manual push-button switch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jabberwalkie09
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

What light do you use? Does anyone make a good one for a rifle for under $100?

It's not $100, but I think the Inforce WML runs under $150. Can't remember the output. Another option is Streamlight's Protac. I have a Streamligh HL-X (1000 lumens) and it turns night into day quite literally. Can't remember the price off hand.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Appreciate the recommendations
IDAg10
AG
Will check them out, thanks!
BenderRodriguez
AG
streamlight in general for most of my lights.

More lumens, more better.

testing out a nitecore p12 right now. Chinese made, but came recommended by someone I trust. If it holds up for a few months as my pocket light for walking the dogs, I might try mounting it to a rifle and see how it holds up to the abuse.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I have a nitecore flashlight I like really well that I've had for about 2 years now. The controls are what I'm wondering about with a gun light. What features do you look for (besides lumens)
aggie4231
AG
Optics choices.

5.56 Ar Pistol

Stay with my Holosun w/ACSS

Go with a Prism Sight, Eotech, Holosun Reflex Sight?

I do deal with an Astigmatism. My Holosun, does get a little blurry (med. brightness and mounted almost all the way forward).

Not looking to spend ACOG money.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
BCStalk
Need the recommendation of the experts here. I need to get a 300blk pistol built. I have everything except the barrel handguard and brace. What do you think about her? I was looking at a SBA3 brace and would like a barrel that matches well with a Sandman K.
texags08
AG
BCStalk said:

Need the recommendation of the experts here. I need to get a 300blk pistol built. I have everything except the barrel handguard and brace. What do you think about her? I was looking at a SBA3 brace and would like a barrel that matches well with a Sandman K.

Im def looking at the SBA3 now as well. Will be FINALLY finishing my Eye Guy TAMU2008 lower and matched upper with a 300 Blk pistol build. I think he delivered these like 3 years ago.
BCStalk
It looks pretty good. The gun will probably live with subs in it so I am definitely out of my realm here. Mainly thinking just a fun gun for killing steel under 50 yards.
DatTallArchitect
AG
BCStalk said:

I have a Ballistic Advantage 8.5" barrel on mine, but couldn't tell you how well it matches up with a suppressor. I love my SBA3 brace though! It's not much shorter than my Magpul STR stock.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Realized I never answered the flashlight question above, or anything since. I'm out of town, I'll respond to a few posts when I'm back home at a keyboard tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry for slacking on my own thread.
texags08
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Realized I never answered the flashlight question above, or anything since. I'm out of town, I'll respond to a few posts when I'm back home at a keyboard tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry for slacking on my own thread.

Unacceptable. We're boned.
BCStalk
So far it's between a BA 8.5" or 10.5" with 1:7 or an Odin 10.5" with 1:8.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I got a great deal on my barrel, or I would have got a 9" BA barrel. I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not the bullet will stabilize enough for a suppressor in the 8.5", but no complaints with 9"+ barrels.

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Ballistic-Advantage-9-300-Blackout-Barrel-Performance-Series-BABL300004F.htm
BenderRodriguez
AG
Control wise I'm honestly not that adamant about one or the other, just happy to see people decide lights can be useful.

I've used a TLR-1HL mounted with just the traditional paddle activation and it worked fine. The tape style switches give you a lot more versatility though on putting the control for the light exactly where you want it for your hand while still putting the light as close to the muzzle as possible so I think that tends to be a better set up.

I really need to take a low light carbine class.
BenderRodriguez
AG
texags08 said:

Unacceptable. We're boned.

No one listens to me anyway so its kind of a wash.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I've got an 8.5" barrel and like it a lot Unfortunately don't have a suppressor for it yet, but it does function with and stabilize 220 gr subs out to at least 100.

To me the whole point of 300 blk is to go as short as possible, so I opted for 8.5" since I've already got a 10.5" 5.56 upper.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Since this is also a "other semi auto" thread so as to not trigger our board Fudds, figure I can mention that I'm currently trying to talk myself out of a parts kit for a different gun.....I blame someone here for making me look at parts kits again, I hadn't done so in years.
jabberwalkie09
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/97jyla/im_flying_commercial_in_a_plate_carrier_and/?st=JKVXYFOJ&sh=f81a7a24

Some guy going to Cola Warrior Classic flies commercial. With plate carrier and helmet on.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I don't think I am old, but looking at reddit makes me want to yell at a cloud... the format is nauseating and I just don't get it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/97jyla/im_flying_commercial_in_a_plate_carrier_and/?st=JKVXYFOJ&sh=f81a7a24

Some guy going to Cola Warrior Classic flies commercial. With plate carrier and helmet on.

Didn't want to pay for an overweight bag, and at least up until yesterday TSA had no restrictions on doing it. He solved a problem, that's for sure.

If y'allve watched any of the Cola warrior streams from West, Mitch is the host out there and the guy usually giving helpful advice like "try to suck less". He's a good guy.
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's pretty cringey
CactusThomas
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I don't think I am old, but looking at reddit makes me want to yell at a cloud... the format is nauseating and I just don't get it.

I don't get it either. How can you read a conversation if it's not listed chronologically? Format is unreadable to me - obviously it works for a lot of people somehow.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Next project up!

Mr. Dubi

Since Dubi shoots wrong handed, we just picked up one of these. A true ambi 9mm Glock lower.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but did have to make a few modifications for the mag catch for it to work properly. I t appears that the retainer pin hole for the front pivot pin was slightly off center, so I had to grind the flat on the head of the pivot pin would fully seat. Also the dimensions are extremely tight; I had to use a rubber mallet to get the MOE trigger guard in, and to seat the takedown pins once I installed the upper, but it is so tight there is no wobble between the upoer and lower. The takedown pin retainer pin pocket is threaded, as is the bolt catch pivot, so the only roll pin is for the trigger guard.

The magwell is really generously tapered, so there is no need for an add on flare. All milspec components fit in.
BenderRodriguez
AG
So a little more about my next project: It's a Micro Galil. One of the last iterations of the Galil. Different people call it different things, I'm going to go with Model 699 because that's a common name for it.

History for those who don't know: The Galil is essentially an Israeli attempt at improving the AK. After the '67 war where Israel was using mainly FALs and their opponents were almost all using AKMs, they decided it was time to upgrade. Starting with the Finnish Valmet (another attempt at refining the AK), they created the Galil family of rifles:

Mine is basically the Micro B on the bottom right of the picture. Like almost every Galil variant, it will have a folding stock, and ambidextrous safety controls. The variant I'm building replaced the more ambi friendly upswept charging handle on the right side of the gun for a left side charging handle and innovative dust cover that was incorporated into the later Galil ACE models.

I thought I was basically done with AKs, but a moderized version shooting 5.56 sounds fun.

Here's what I've got sitting in a bag of parts:

Now I'm just waiting on the US made Galil receivers to come back into stock, and I'll send it off to a well known Galil smith for building. If they take too long, I might end up with a ARM variant as well (18" barrel, bipod). If I'm going to have to stock Galil magazines, might as well have two guns that use them, right?

Here's what the final product should look like:

AGricola08
AG
That is pretty awesome and looks like a fun project.... where did you get the kit from?
BenderRodriguez
AG
AGricola08 said:

That is pretty awesome and looks like a fun project.... where did you get the kit from?

Got mine from Lewis and Black. Micro kits are hard to find, I think L&B and Jaxx Industries are the only places with them right now.

Regular Galil kits can be found at the usuals, Apex, etc.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Lots of good Labor Day sales going on at the usual suspects: brownells, primary arms, alg, geissele, etc.

Picked up two more EMR rails to upgrade my 16" and 10.5" guns from magpul furniture to free float handguards.
SharkinAg
AG
Alright guys help me pick my next ar. I bought a Daniel defense v5 before I left the state for vet school five years ago because the market was right. Eye guy built me a solid AR10 a few months ago.

Now I want to do my first build. I want a 10.5inch 5.56 pistol and a 300blk pistol around 8 inches to sbr down the road. I want my 300blk to be solid so I am leaning towards learning on a palmetto state 10.5inch 5.56 and then piecing together a solid 300blk over the next few months. I already have an aero precision lower. Just need to figure out which kit to buy.

These are going to be for the range and maybe hogs. Not for self defense. If **** hit the fan I'd grab my Daniel defense.

Looking at these two kits:

Quote:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-9-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit.html

Quote:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-12-slant-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit.html
BCStalk
Building a 300blk pistol in a couple of weeks. I am going with an Aero FDE upper and lower. Eyeguy is getting me a BA 9" Barrel, SBA3 brace, and Cerekoted handguaurd. Trigger is going to a CMC single stage 3.5lb, Radical BCG, and whatever else I have lying around to finish it. Handgaurd should protrude a few inches past the muzzle which should put my suppressor a couple inches past it. I'm pretty excited about it. I've always wanted a FDE suppressed pistol in 300blk.
SharkinAg
AG
Ballpark what's all that costing you if you don't mind me asking? I've got suppressors so I want to do something similar with the hand guard.
BCStalk
The barrel, brace, and hand guard were around $450. Trigger was $100, BCG $100, Aero set $130 on sale at Primary Arms. Everything else I have in my extra parts box.

Edit to add that eyeguy recommended the handguard to match the suppressor diameter and barrel length.
SharkinAg

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.