Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

494,211 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
bevokilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is $251 a good price for Holosun HE510CGR HE Elite

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/holosun-he510cgr-he-elite-1x-65-moa-ring2-moa-dot-green-black-cr2032-lithium

I didn't see it on the Texian Black Market

I need a red dot or a 1-6x scope for my AR. I have an astigmatism and I heard a green dot is better than red thus the interest.
maverick2076
Try a prism scope instead of a red dot. Primary Arms has a one that is pretty affordable. Their 1-6x with the ACSS reticle is also a great scope.
BCStalk
I have a horrible astigmatism and nothing helps on red dots unless I'm looking through a magnifier. I've since switched to 1-6x and 1-8x scopes.
bevokilla
AG
Thank you! I've been looking at the 1-6 and 1-8 scopes but I'm not dropping $600 on a scope I use for range fun only.
SMM48
AG
https://www.eurooptic.com/Nikon-BLACK-FORCE100-1-6x24-M-IL-FORCE-MOA-Riflescope-16660.aspx
reddog90
AG
Steve & Arch - is the JP worth an extra ~$100? Do they ever run sales??
SMM48
AG
its one of those things....do you need it??? no....but when you have it, you'll be like ohhhhhhh yeah....no metallic sproingggg....smoother recoil....maybe that has to do with the sound and feel...

cheapest i've found them is at jsesurplus.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/jpenterprisesgen2silentcapturedspringforar-15-typerifles.aspx

when you install it in the lower....you will have to make sure the buffer spring detent stays down....

i cut a piece of credit card to make a little sliver to depress the spring detent stay down....you can bend it to where you can slide the rear takedown over it to keep pressure on.

either that way or take rear tube off and go from scratch.

that buffer spring detent will jam up into the silent capture spring and you'll have to take off rear tube anyway to get it out.
reddog90
AG
Yeah I'd love to not have that nasty noise in this build. But the Geissele super 42 spring is supposed to get rid of the noise as well.
SMM48
AG
I have the geissele spring and buffer. It doesn't

It came with the 10.3 URGI near clone complete upper.

Put it in for grins. Even though the lower already had the jp silent capture. Took it out right away.

The highlight about the geissele super 42' was spring fatigue. It isn't as sproingy as regular spring. But it's no jp silent capture.
DatTallArchitect
AG
There's another choice that's cheaper, but they are made in commiefornia and they are made out of cheaper materials. I have the Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring in my Grendel, and haven't run into any issues yet. Plan to switch it out at some point though.
reddog90
AG
Ugh. Alright you've convinced me.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Well, guess I'm back into AKs this year.

I only had one left, and I was getting twitchy about only having one gun in 7.62x39.

I already have a KNS piston and ALG trigger for it. Been talking to a guy, and I think I'm going to have him turn it into a pinned and welded AK-104ish thing, like this.

AgLA06
AG
Interesting looking. At first glance I would have wrongly thought it was an SKS.
BenderRodriguez
AG
AgLA06 said:

Interesting looking. At first glance I would have wrongly thought it was an SKS.

Russian made AKs, brought into the US in a "sporting" configuration.

I did a rear end conversion on mine back in college (and did a pretty amateur, crap job of it).

If I like how the 104 turns out, I'll send in the other Saiga to get turned into a proper Russian made 103 clone.

claym711
AG
Without reading 82 pages, how about recommendation for a rookie - A fully built 'survival' gun (self defense, possible hunting), and furniture. Will probably get and ACOG w top red dot.
SMM48
AG
Budget?
claym711
AG
<$2k not including optics.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Sig MCX Virtus
reddog90
AG
Geissele Duty Rifle
reddog90
AG
I wasn't happy hunting with my 11.5" so I rezeroed the reap ir on my 16"

I was glassing from the driveway that night and noticed a coyote in the distance chasing sheep. Changed clothes and put on a stalk. I played the wind and walked up about 60 yards, squeaked my lips to make it stand up to make 101% sure it wasn't a doe laying down.

https://imgur.com/mVbTvzG
****ty video from iphin.

Whack
DatTallArchitect
AG
Another option is to have Justin (Eyeguy) at Texian Firearms build you an AR pistol. If you want the AR for self-defense, I highly recommend you stick with an AR pistol.
claym711
AG
Thanks for those recs guys!
SMM48
AG
easy.

daniel defense. can be had for less than msrp.

https://danieldefense.com/pistols.html
or
https://danieldefense.com/m4a1.html

bravo company...primary arms has a 11.5 bcm pistol for 1299 today.

https://www.primaryarms.com/bravo-company-manufacturing-recce-11-mcmr-5.56-pistol-with-sba3

geissele super duty

https://geissele.com/super-duty-rifle-16.html

pws

sons of liberty gun works
build your blaster
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/build-a-rifle/patrol-series-rifles/

claym711
AG
Nice. I only know what I can 'google', so take with grain of salt, but I -think- id rather have a standard than pistol in a survival setting (hunting). Correct me if I'm wrong?

With that in mind what are the main advantages of a DD M4A1 14.5" barrel vs the Gisselle 16"?

The sons of liberty build your own option is interesting, but learning enough about each component to make good selections seems a bit daunting for where I'm at with current knowledge.
DatTallArchitect
AG
The AR that I hunt with is a pistol with an 11.3" barrel. There are a lot of people that choose to hunt with an AR pistol over an AR rifle. If I could only have one AR, it would be my pistol with the chambered in 6.8 SPC II.
SMM48
AG
Legal barrel length is 16 inches.

A 14.5 in barrel with a muzzle device that is pinned and welded into place brings over all length to 16 inches this makes it a 16 inch barrel.

A 14,5 barrel without muzzle device pinned and welded....even though length is 16 inches does not make it a legal barrel.

So the advantage is you have a little shorter barrel while staying legal.

An ar pistol can have any length barrel you want. 7 inch....8..inch...10...11...however an ar pistol must have a pistol brace instead of a traditional stock.

Look at the bcm link I posted before.

As far as pistol vs rifle,,,,,its all about barrel length and velocity. There is a happy medium.

In 556....I think most would agree that the minimum velocity/force barrel length would be 11.5 or greater.

And this varies for different calibers.

Most would agree for a first rifle.... 14.5 pinned and welded is a smart start. Can take out baddies.....and can ethically hunt with.

Can't go wrong with these two

I've bought complete rifles. I have assembled rifles from parts from different manuf. ( I hate the world build.....Cause I ain't building crap....I'm assembling like legos)

Nothing is quite as nice as a complete rifle from one manuf....maybe when time is right change the trigger...

https://danieldefense.com/m4a1.html

http://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/BCM-RECCE-14-MCMR-Carbine-AR15-p/bcm-carbine-780-750.htm

And I agree with everyone else's responses as well. Everyone is right. Pistols, rifles.....short barrels 14.5. 16 inch ...556...6.8...there is no wrong answer
reddog90
AG
I LOVE my 11.5 SBR. It is so light and easy to maneuver, it's a great truck gun, easy to carry in the field, great for running and gunning in classes. But I just don't personally feel like I can get my velocities up enough to drop decent sized hogs. A 6.8 or 6.5 that size is like a lightning bolt on a hog though.

You will end up with several. You can't go wrong with BCM, DD, or Geissele. Just get a 16" middy and start playing.
reddog90
AG
SteveMedina said:

I've bought complete rifles. I have assembled rifles from parts from different manuf. ( I hate the world build.....Cause I ain't building crap....I'm assembling like legos)

"Assembling" a grendel right now. Log convinced me.

DatTallArchitect
AG
Looks like that's going to be a high quality build. What barrel and BCG are you going to use?
DatTallArchitect
AG
By definition, one is still building the AR even when they are just assembling parts
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/build
javajaws
AG
reddog90 said:

SteveMedina said:

Just built an AR pistol with the Geissele bolt catch release and the Radian talon ambi safety as well. Also threw on a Troy mag release and Geissele airborne charging handle. Makes it mostly lefty friendly.

I debated between the Maritime and a BAD lever, but ultimately went with the Maritime. Maybe next one I'll try the BAD lever and see if I like it then standardize one way or another.

I really like how the Radian assembles with the captured pins and doesn't use screws.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
reddog90
AG
Thanks I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I've got a Faxon 16" in the safe and need to order a Faxon BCG. I'll be running a Superlative Arms AGB and JP SCS H2 buffer system.
reddog90
AG
javajaws said:

reddog90 said:

SteveMedina said:

Just built an AR pistol with the Geissele bolt catch release and the Radian talon ambi safety as well. Also threw on a Troy mag release and Geissele airborne charging handle. Makes it mostly lefty friendly.

I debated between the Maritime and a BAD lever, but ultimately went with the Maritime. Maybe next one I'll try the BAD lever and see if I like it then standardize one way or another.

I really like how the Radian assembles with the captured pins and doesn't use screws.
I love the maritime bolt catch. Geissele sells LPKs now days as well. But I do really like this radian safety. I used a BAD ambi safety on my last build and I like this radian better so far. Super easy to install with those captured pins and I like the 45* throw. The BAD EPS pins are awesome and super easy into install as well.
javajaws
AG
Yeah I have a BAD safety on another AR...the Radian is a superior design IMO.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
SMM48
AG
.Just like I built that race car. Well I did fab some own parts.....bad example.

Firearms are sooooooo much cheaper.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.