Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,115 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
BroncStomper06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just recently got the AR-15 bug and have learned a good bit from this thread. Everyone's insight is much appreciated. For my first jump into the platform I have decided to buy a complete rifle and then do a build once I am more knowledgeable of everything. I plan to use it to help with my hog problem, maybe take a deer or two, but mainly just to enjoy on the range. Although I like the idea of being able to really reach out, I doubt that I will realistically be shooting much over 300 yds. All that being said, I have an opportunity to basically pick anything currently offered from Windham Weaponry. I am not really familiar with them and haven't seen Windham mentioned a whole lot on this thread, but given my status, what would you all recommend?
Average Joe
AG
Yes, because fighting off a team of bad guys in a 20+ minute gun fight is the only reason to own an ar-15.

All I'm saying is that the argument is a little far fetched. Gun "fights" in your home will last seconds, not minutes. Your shots won't necessarily be at rifle length, either. You won't have time to worry about ACOGs and back up sights, and they won't have time to break.
87IE
AG
BroncStomper06 said:

I just recently got the AR-15 bug and am learning so much from this thread. Everyone's insight is much appreciated. For my first jump into the platform I have decided to buy a complete rifle and then do a build once I am more knowledgeable of everything. I plan to use it to help with my hog problem, maybe take a deer or two, but mainly just to enjoy on the range. Although I like the idea of being able to really reach out, I doubt that I will realistically be shooting much over 300 yds. All that being said, I have an opportunity to basically pick anything currently offered from Windham Weaponry. I am not really familiar with them and haven't seen Windham mentioned a whole lot on this thread, but given my status, what would you all recommend?
Windham is run by the folks that ran Bushmaster before they sold it. They are solid rifles and if you get to pick anything I'd look at their 308 line.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Since you don't plan to shoot over 300 yards and this is your first - I would look at the .223 Wylde. It will shoot both .223 and 5.56, which are both easily found and relatively cheap to shoot.
maverick2076
Windham makes a good rifle. For your first, I'd stick to a 16" barrel with a mid length gas system chambered in 5.56 or .223 Wylde. And I'd get a full length FF rail. It's a lot more versatile and easy to customize than standard hand guards and a fixed front sight post.
BroncStomper06
AG
This is right in line with my initial thoughts. Any specific models you would recommend? Picking from their site, I'm not clear on which is free float, has a two stage trigger, etc. I do really like the looks of the CDI, however. I will most likely add the Vortex Strike Eagle for my glass.
TamuKid
AG
BroncStomper06 said:

This is right in line with my initial thoughts. Any specific models you would recommend? Picking from their site, I'm not clear on which is free float, has a two stage trigger, etc. I do really like the looks of the CDI, however. I will most likely add the Vortex Strike Eagle for my glass.

Curious... why only Windham? Assuming you have a hookup/deal?

I think there are likely better rifles for the price. Here's an article on the CDI that seems to indicate the same (granted its 4 years old). Of course, if you can already get advantageous pricing than maybe that doesn't matter.

www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/foghorn/gun-review-windham-weaponry-cdi
BroncStomper06
AG
Thanks for sharing the article. Good info. Windham wasn't really on my radar, but I have a buddy with connections there that owes me a favor. Worst case, I will get it at wholesale. Disappointed to read that about the CDI, as it appears that that is there only model with a ff handguard - although I could be mistaken.
AGricola08
AG
re: CharlieBrown, I got a catalog not too long ago from Brownells that had a bunch of vietnam era style ar/m16 parts. Might check that out....
txyaloo
AG
AGricola08 said:

re: CharlieBrown, I got a catalog not too long ago from Brownells that had a bunch of vietnam era style ar/m16 parts. Might check that out....
Apex also regularly has M16 parts.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/ar15-m16/us-m16.html?p=1

Nodak is the place to go for clone lowers

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm
JRizzle
AG
I just received my PSA rifle build kit. Will go get a lower today.

Anyone know if the triggers they ship with are any good or should I upgrade trigger? PSA has a good deal on a giessele trigger with 10pmags right now.

I've never built one so this is a project gun just to learn how things work.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah I posted a link to nodak on the last page.

It doesn't really seem all that hard to find parts just pricey

Frisco
AG
I didn't like the included trigger. Ended up replacing pretty quickly
AGricola08
AG
I bought the PSA LPK with a Geissle.... most of the mil spec triggers are pretty rough, but it is a matter of personal preference
TamuKid
AG
BroncStomper06 said:

Thanks for sharing the article. Good info. Windham wasn't really on my radar, but I have a buddy with connections there that owes me a favor. Worst case, I will get it at wholesale. Disappointed to read that about the CDI, as it appears that that is there only model with a ff handguard - although I could be mistaken.

To be fair. They may have improved the CDI over the past few years. Maybe they've fixed some of those issues. Any way to get your hands on one to check out?
maverick2076
JRizzle said:

I just received my PSA rifle build kit. Will go get a lower today.

Anyone know if the triggers they ship with are any good or should I upgrade trigger? PSA has a good deal on a giessele trigger with 10pmags right now.

I've never built one so this is a project gun just to learn how things work.

Their stock triggers are like any other mil spec. Their enhanced polished trigger is a great upgrade for the money. You can get it on sale by itself for $30, and it's easily as good as the QMS or similar triggers. I have it in every one of my ARs. When you buy it in their LPKs, I think it is only like a $10 difference, which really makes it a no brainer
maverick2076
BroncStomper06 said:

You can always add a FF rail to another model. Getting the front sight block off is the hardest part of doing it, and you can get FF rails pretty cheap nowadays. I just converted my 16" to a FF rail yesterday as I am turning it into my wife's rifle.
BroncStomper06
AG
Good point. I am going to see if I can get my hands on a couple to try out. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I want to make the best choice I can.
MTxTwelve
Thread bump

3rdGenAg05
AG
You have a lot of military gear and seem to know your gear, but it doesn't look like you're in the military. What's your story?
The Wonderer
AG
Nealthedestroyer
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

You have a lot of military gear and seem to know your gear, but it doesn't look like you're in the military. What's your story?

How do you know he wasn't .mil?
3rdGenAg05
AG
I don't; so I asked for his story. My only assumption thus far is that he drinks Dos XX (when he drinks beer).
No need for sad faces buddy.
txyaloo
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

I don't; so I asked for his story. My only assumption thus far is that he drinks Dos XX (when he drinks beer).
Scroll back 2-3 pages. He tells his story.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Cool, thanks. I missed a couple pages i guess. Interesting reads on the MP7 and H&K history. MP7s are awesome; I was unaware H&K didn't like making money.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
It's not H&Ks fault on this. It's the German government. It was hell just getting the SP5K (mp5 pistol) exported to us, much less that.
txyaloo
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

It's not H&Ks fault on this. It's the German government. It was hell just getting the SP5K (mp5 pistol) exported to us, much less that.
It partially is HK's fault. A big part of their issue has been US import laws in addition to German export laws. They have a large plant in the US where they could have moved roller lock production. That would have side stepped both laws.

In the past, HK has said the MP7 is non-sporting so they won't bring it to the US. It's effectively too much for American consumers to handle. Maybe their attitude has changed in the last few years with building the MR series here along with new imports of the MP5, but HK GmbH generally has an f-you attitude toward the American tactical rifle market.

Quote:

"Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that's technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that's it." Mike Cabrera of Heckler & Koch Law Enforcement Sales and veteran law enforcement officer with SWAT unit experience points out that "this is a gun that you do not want in the wrong, slimy hands. It comes with semi-automatic and full-auto firing modes only. Its overall size places it between a handgun and submachine gun. Its assault rifle capabilities and small size make this a serious weapon that should not be taken lightly."
BenderRodriguez
AG
txyaloo said:

In the past, HK has said the MP7 is non-sporting so they won't bring it to the US. It's effectively too much for American consumers to handle. Maybe their attitude has changed in the last few years with building the MR series here along with new imports of the MP5, but HK GmbH generally has an f-you attitude toward the American tactical rifle market.

Quote:

"Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that's technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that's it." Mike Cabrera of Heckler & Koch Law Enforcement Sales and veteran law enforcement officer with SWAT unit experience points out that "this is a gun that you do not want in the wrong, slimy hands. It comes with semi-automatic and full-auto firing modes only. Its overall size places it between a handgun and submachine gun. Its assault rifle capabilities and small size make this a serious weapon that should not be taken lightly."

Uh, that statement was made by the editor of Recoil magazine, not any H&K employee.

H&K actually did issue a statement after he said such a stupid thing.

"Some readers have misinterpreted a recent feature story in RECOIL magazine as a reflection of HK policy. Heckler & Koch has a long presence in the US civilian market and throughout that time has been an ardent and passionate supporter of the Second Amendment and the American civilian shooter. This will always be the case. The contents, opinions, and statements expressed in that feature story are those of the writer, not Heckler and Koch's. Additionally, the writer and RECOIL magazine have issued a clarification and apology for the ill-chosen words used in the story.
The HK MP7A1 4.6 mm Personal Defense Weapon mentioned in the story is a selective-fire product (capable of "full automatic" fire) and is currently restricted to military and law enforcement agencies by BATF. HK-USA has previously researched introducing similar commercial products, chambered in 4.6 mm, but it was determined that the final product would not have enough appeal or be legally feasible.
Heckler & Koch USA"
txyaloo
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

txyaloo said:

Quote:

Uh, that statement was made by the editor of Recoil magazine, not any H&K employee.

H&K actually did issue a statement after he said such a stupid thing.

"Some readers have misinterpreted a recent feature story in RECOIL magazine as a reflection of HK policy. Heckler & Koch has a long presence in the US civilian market and throughout that time has been an ardent and passionate supporter of the Second Amendment and the American civilian shooter. This will always be the case. The contents, opinions, and statements expressed in that feature story are those of the writer, not Heckler and Koch's. Additionally, the writer and RECOIL magazine have issued a clarification and apology for the ill-chosen words used in the story.
The HK MP7A1 4.6 mm Personal Defense Weapon mentioned in the story is a selective-fire product (capable of "full automatic" fire) and is currently restricted to military and law enforcement agencies by BATF. HK-USA has previously researched introducing similar commercial products, chambered in 4.6 mm, but it was determined that the final product would not have enough appeal or be legally feasible.
Heckler & Koch USA"
Statement was made by an HK USA LE sales guy. The magazine simply printed the statement. HK tried to do damage control, but that doesn't negate their internal corporate feelings.
BenderRodriguez
AG
The part that everyone was mad about was "Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that's technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that's it.".

That was 100% Jerry Tsai. He later tried to claim he was just parroting what H&K were saying to him, but I'm very skeptical of that.

maverick2076
I consider "putting down scumbags" to be a completely valid sporting purpose. F that guy.
AgLA06
AG
Interesting strategy Cotton:

"We've designed this so that it's too good of a weapon for the average person."

Hard to get. I like it.

So how much longer does it take before everyone is in a complete lather so they can start selling them.

I'm assuming they're a privately or government owned and financed because share holders would have executed someone by now for finding excuses to not make money.
Jason_Ag98
AG

Quote:

Quote:

Scroll back 2-3 pages. He tells his story.
I think it's here:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2732608/replies/48256598
Nealthedestroyer
AG
AgLA06 said:

Interesting strategy Cotton:

"We've designed this so that it's too good of a weapon for the average person."

Hard to get. I like it.

So how much longer does it take before everyone is in a complete lather so they can start selling them.

I'm assuming they're a privately or government owned and financed because share holders would have executed someone by now for finding excuses to not make money.

Lol, it's HK. They're the Queen's of "fuc k the peasants" mentality.
MTxTwelve
3rdGenAg05 said:

Not .mil by any stretch. I just like cool toys, that's all.

I do drink Dos XX though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.