Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

503,792 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
MTxTwelve
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Of the guns or the glow sticks?

TL;DR list (top to bottom):
M110 SASS
M110 Carbine or M110K1
Mk12 Mod 1 SPR
HK416
Block II CQBR

Details:

The top two are mine, both SR25s (Top to bottom):
Clone of an M110 SASS made from an SR25 ECR (also the rifle in the first pic with the 14" suppressor). Chambered in 7.62 / .308, has a 20" SS barrel, Knight's URXII hand guard, and the scope is a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 ER/T with a Horus H58 reticle and M5A2 adjustments, mounted in Badger Ordnance Rings. The suppressor (still in jail) is the Knight's M110 suppressor, made specifically for the platform.

Second rifle is an SR25 ECC, which is the commercial variant of the M110K1 or M110 Carbine. The rifle is chambered in 7.62 / .308, has a 16" SS dimpled barrel, MAMS brake, URX3.1 hand guard, and the scope is a Leupold Mk8 CQBSS 1.1-8x with a Horus H37D reticle in a Larue LT140 mount. Still need the Knight's QDC suppressor for this one.

Middle rifle (belongs to a friend of mine) is a clone of the NSW Mk12 Mod 1 SPR, made famous to the public by Marcus Luttrell's "Lone Survivor." Everyone wanted to know what rifle that was that took a beating--well, this is it. While Luttrell's rifle had the Leupold Mk4 TS30A2 scope, this one features the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 scope in ARMS #22 rings (which I prefer over the Leupold - I own/have owned both). The Nightforce has better glass and is more compact. The upper consists of a standard M4 receiver, 18" SS barrel profiled for the Ops Inc. brake and collar, Knight's FF Rifle-length RAS, PEQ-2 infrared laser, and an Allen Engineering AEM5 suppressor (essentially an Ops Inc. 12th model which are no longer made). The lower consists of an M4 receiver (real thing used a M16A1 lower) and A2 fixed stock.

Second from the bottom is an HK416 (also not mine). The piston upper has a 10.4" barrel and an older pica-tinny style, standard length HK416 handguard. a Knight's NT4 flash hider, a PEQ-15, and a Surefire IR flood light. The optic is an actual Eotech SU-231 (553).

Last, but certainly not least, is the Block II CQBR upper on an M16 lower (not mine). The upper consists of a 10.3" barrel, the Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II, PEQ-15, Insight WMX200 IR floodlight, and Knight's NT4 suppressor. The optic is the Eotech EXPS3-0. The lower, as mentioned, is an actual M16 - which means it has the fun switch.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

ETA: Top of page pic. Here's the business end of the M110 Carbine. Mounted to the handguard is a PEQ-15, Insight WMX200 IR floodlight, and an Insight dual-pressure switch. You can also make-out, in pretty good detail, the MAMS muzzle brake.

MTxTwelve
Before I let my premium account expire, I received a couple of IMs from people with questions about my .300 win mag. and the suppressor. I don't remember your handles, but here's a video of it with the suppressor. Enjoy:

...yes, I get it, eye-pro...
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

Before I let my premium account expire
Just curious, is the expiration a protest of something the moderators did or do you need the $4.75 to buy rifle parts?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Is there a backstory to your collection of mil clones or just think they're neat?
MTxTwelve
CharlieBrown17 said:

Is there a backstory to your collection of mil clones or just think they're neat?
I wish I had some neat backstory to my mil rifle collection, but unfortunately I do not. I am just a regular guy that likes some pretty cool stuff or, at least, in my opinion. I was raised by a state trooper and I guess you could say that's where it all started--M4s, Mini-14s, MP5s, sawed-off 870s, and Sig Sauer handguns were some things I grew up with.

For me, the interest expanded to stuff that does not typically get a lot of exposure. Your typical shooter will never get a chance to hold, let alone fire, an M110 or a Mk13 as these tools are not something you can just go buy off-the-shelf at your local gun store. These things are engineering feats that most non-specialized military personnel will ever appreciate, which is why I like to share this stuff with other shooters whether it is on the range or via the internet. Plus, the sh*t-eating grins on most peoples faces when they wield some of this stuff is pretty hilarious and satisfactory.

Current collection includes:
Block II CQBR
Block II M4A1
x2 NSW Mk12 Mod 1 SPR (wasn't satisfied with just one)
M110 SASS
M110 Carbine
Mk13 Mod 5

Current Projects:
XM2010 Sniper Rifle
M40A7
HK416
Mk12 Mod Holland

The Holy Grail:
HK MP7 - pretty much unobtainable since HK has essentially stated there is no viable reason for the general public to own this sub gun.

https://instagr.am/p/BPDBlUiBd0x
Astroag
AG
MTxTwelve said:

Of the guns or the glow sticks?

TL;DR list (top to bottom):
M110 SASS
M110 Carbine or M110K1
Mk12 Mod 1 SPR
HK416
Block II CQBR

Details:

The top two are mine, both SR25s (Top to bottom):
Clone of an M110 SASS made from an SR25 ECR (also the rifle in the first pic with the 14" suppressor). Chambered in 7.62 / .308, has a 20" SS barrel, Knight's URXII hand guard, and the scope is a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 ER/T with a Horus H58 reticle and M5A2 adjustments, mounted in Badger Ordnance Rings. The suppressor (still in jail) is the Knight's M110 suppressor, made specifically for the platform.

Second rifle is an SR25 ECC, which is the commercial variant of the M110K1 or M110 Carbine. The rifle is chambered in 7.62 / .308, has a 16" SS dimpled barrel, MAMS brake, URX3.1 hand guard, and the scope is a Leupold Mk8 CQBSS 1.1-8x with a Horus H37D reticle in a Larue LT140 mount. Still need the Knight's QDC suppressor for this one.

Middle rifle (belongs to a friend of mine) is a clone of the NSW Mk12 Mod 1 SPR, made famous to the public by Marcus Luttrell's "Lone Survivor." Everyone wanted to know what rifle that was that took a beating--well, this is it. While Luttrell's rifle had the Leupold Mk4 TS30A2 scope, this one features the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 scope in ARMS #22 rings (which I prefer over the Leupold - I own/have owned both). The Nightforce has better glass and is more compact. The upper consists of a standard M4 receiver, 18" SS barrel profiled for the Ops Inc. brake and collar, Knight's FF Rifle-length RAS, PEQ-2 infrared laser, and an Allen Engineering AEM5 suppressor (essentially an Ops Inc. 12th model which are no longer made). The lower consists of an M4 receiver (real thing used a M16A1 lower) and A2 fixed stock.

Second from the bottom is an HK416 (also not mine). The piston upper has a 10.4" barrel and an older pica-tinny style, standard length HK416 handguard. a Knight's NT4 flash hider, a PEQ-15, and a Surefire IR flood light. The optic is an actual Eotech SU-231 (553).

Last, but certainly not least, is the Block II CQBR upper on an M16 lower (not mine). The upper consists of a 10.3" barrel, the Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II, PEQ-15, Insight WMX200 IR floodlight, and Knight's NT4 suppressor. The optic is the Eotech EXPS3-0. The lower, as mentioned, is an actual M16 - which means it has the fun switch.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

ETA: Top of page pic. Here's the business end of the M110 Carbine. Mounted to the handguard is a PEQ-15, Insight WMX200 IR floodlight, and an Insight dual-pressure switch. You can also make-out, in pretty good detail, the MAMS muzzle brake.

holy smokes...those are amazing!!!!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Anyone have a decent guess on a used price for one of these? Crimson Trace website has them new for 480. It's the red laser not green. I have two I might be looking to part with soon that I got when a close family member died about 2 and a half years ago.

DatTallArchitect
AG
That's definitely intriguing. How bright of a light do those have on them? After I finish my current build, I would like to build a home defense AR in .223 Wilde. That has me curious
CharlieBrown17
AG
http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/type/mvf-515/01-2330

Website says 150-200 lumen. Unscientific it's pretty damn bright.
Astroag
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/type/mvf-515/01-2330

Website says 150-200 lumen. Unscientific it's pretty damn bright.
interested when you decide
txyaloo
AG
The MP7 is definitely unobtainum even for most FFLs. I only know of a handful of post samples not in agencies hands. Also, HK is effectively the only game in town for ammo and they won't sell to dealers for demos. If you go to HK for anything full auto, they'll undercut you and go straight to the department/agency.

I love HK guns, but their business ethics are piss poor.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Does anyone know of any classes offered in the Houston area on AR basics- rundown of parts, how to assemble, terminology- that kind of thing? Boyert used to have an AR-15 101 class but it's no longer offered. Youtube has a lot of videos and this thread is awesome but would love to be one-on-one with someone going over everything in person.

Does Eyeguy's shop have something like this?
Duncan Idaho
That is a good idea. Eyeguy should consider it. I could see market for a class where you walk out with a grab bag quality gun that you put together in a group session over a couple of nights.

Night 1: anatomy of an AR, operation mechanics, types and pros/cons of each
(The idea is to explain why someone might want to spend the extra $50 on an adjustable gas block or why a trigger matters. Hopefully you would be able to upgrade the parts of you standard build because you now think "damn I had no idea that I really needed a 3lb trigger.)

Night 2: build the lower
Night 3: build the upper.

Weekend: range day. Take em out, help site them in. And hopefully upsell some optics, better buis, better stocks, forward grips, additional uppers, or a suppressor because you let them shoot some other guns that have those features.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
We haven't announced it yet, but we do offer a "Build your own AR Class" that includes an AR.... that you build... Hence the name. It's kind of a cool deal. If we had a few people want to do a class together, could definitely get it down a bit more than usual.
MTxTwelve
txyaloo said:

The MP7 is definitely unobtainum even for most FFLs. I only know of a handful of post samples not in agencies hands. Also, HK is effectively the only game in town for ammo and they won't sell to dealers for demos. If you go to HK for anything full auto, they'll undercut you and go straight to the department/agency.

Precisely. I have never understood why HK conducts themselves the way they do, but I still lust after a lot of their offerings.

The only people who have them at this point are either defense contractors or some random-ass FFL with HK ties.
txyaloo
AG
MTxTwelve said:

txyaloo said:

Precisely. I have never understood why HK conducts themselves the way they do, but I still lust after a lot of their offerings.

The only people who have them at this point are either defense contractors or some random-ass FFL with HK ties.
Because we're HK....and we hate you.
GeeBee
AG
I don't know who's in this video or who filmed it..same user as the one posted above... damn, I cringed.

'
MTxTwelve
GeeBee said:

I don't know who's in this video or who filmed it..same user as the one posted above... damn, I cringed.

'
Buddy of mine. Cringed over what, exactly?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
My guess is the dude on the right....
texags08
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

Unexpected flinch (bee sting etc.) by the shooter and that guy is wishing he wasn't there.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I would definitely be interested in this. Kind of what I had in mind would be to come to the shop, you guys help me pick parts and explain what's what, I'll order everything there then when they come in put it together. Is that workable and how the class is set-up?
GeeBee
AG
yep

2ndChanceAg96
AG
I need a bipod for my 6.5 Grendel I am building. So many choices out there. Anyone have any good recs?
Chickenhawk
The answer is always harris.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

The answer is always harris.
Or Atlas...
CharlieBrown17
AG
Full disclosure I've found them new for about 350 online even though the MSRP is 480.

I'm thinking around 275 each for the ones I have, they have almost no use on them.

I'm in central Texas until Saturday then back to college station for the semester. Shoot me an email at charliebrowncrew@gmail.com
BenderRodriguez
AG
MTxTwelve said:

Alright, it is knowledge bomb dropping time.

H&K started producing the G3 series of rifles in ~1959. By 1962, they were importing semi auto G3s to the United States. In fact, for a time the Colt SP1 and semi auto G3 variant brought in by H&K were the only "military style" rifles being sold in the US (and in the 80s the HK 93 in 5.56 was actually cheaper than a Colt AR-15). In 1966, the shenanigans started. The US government didn't like that the semi auto G3s imported to the US only needed a bolt swap and a trigger housing replaced (two push pins) to convert to full auto, so they insisted H&K weld up the front hole, then eliminate it all together. H&K complied with US government restrictions, and kept importing both G3s along with a variety of bolt action and semi automatic hunting rifles, addition to pistols such as the now iconic P7. They even had an arrangement with a little Italian company to import their shotguns to the US...a company called Benelli.

So they were importing guns left and right to the US, building facilities here and in short were loving selling guns to US customers. So what the hell happened?

In 1989 an executive order by George H.W. Bush reinterpreted the 1968 GCA's "sporting purposes" clause and declared that there was no sporting purpose for semi automatic rifles like the H&K 9x series, SIG 550s, FALs, AK-47s, etc. The ATF did ask for comments on this decision from gun magazine writers, industry people, manufacturers, state game commissioners, etc. The only company to put up a fight? H&K, who ran an ad in Shotgun News imploring owners of H&K firearms to write to the ATF about how they used their rifles for sporting purposes and describing all the sporting ways their products could be used. But their import was banned, and H&K was left with thousands of dollars in rifles sitting on the dock that had to be shipped back to Germany on their dime. What was their response to this? They spent money and tooling investment to create the SP89, a civilian semi auto version of the MP5k, since pistol imports had not been banned like semi auto rifle imports. What sort of reception did they get for this investment of time and energy? The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which banned the SP89 too.

Despite the US government costing them money and banning many of their products twice in 5 years, H&K continued to import pistols and hunting rifles during this time, and even produced neutered versions of their other firearms for import, such as the USC (a UMP 45) and the SL8 (a G36...sort of).

So now that the AWB has expired, why aren't they making us MP7s, MP5s, G36s, etc? Well, two reasons. 1) the '89 import ban still stands. 2) The German government (if you can believe it) is even more stupid on the subject of H&K than the US govt is. The German government funded the research and development of both the G36 and the MP7 and doesn't want us ordinary civilians to get our hands on something they spent money creating. Heck, even though H&Ks 416 was in production by 2005, was mostly based on US designs anyway and they wanted to import/sell them here, between the US govt and the German Govt it took until 2011 (6 freaking years!!!) to get them to allow partial importation of 416 parts, which are then finished here at facilities in the US (which is why the MR556 & MR762 are so damned expensive, but finally available).

The TL/DR version? H&K does not hate you. Not at all. H&K wants to sell you guns. The US Govt and the German govt? They hate you AND they hate H&K. And also money. They hate money too.

MTxTwelve
texags08 said:

Mr. McGibblets said:

Unexpected flinch (bee sting etc.) by the shooter and that guy is wishing he wasn't there.

Eh, I wasn't there but it looks like a controlled shooting environment to me. So long as his muzzle doesn't cross into that plain, he's fine. Seems like they're following protocol of most 3 gun matches.
txyaloo
AG
TLR version:

While your history is all correct, it doesn't excuse HK's behavior on the dealer side of things. If they want to sell guns in the US market, they need to support their dealers. Undercutting their dealers is just ****ty. It doesn't stop me from owning HK guns, but it doesn't mean I like their tactics.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

MTxTwelve said:

Alright, it is knowledge bomb dropping time.

H&K started producing the G3 series of rifles in ~1959. By 1962, they were importing semi auto G3s to the United States. In fact, for a time the Colt SP1 and semi auto G3 variant brought in by H&K were the only "military style" rifles being sold in the US (and in the 80s the HK 93 in 5.56 was actually cheaper than a Colt AR-15). In 1966, the shenanigans started. The US government didn't like that the semi auto G3s imported to the US only needed a bolt swap and a trigger housing replaced (two push pins) to convert to full auto, so they insisted H&K weld up the front hole, then eliminate it all together. H&K complied with US government restrictions, and kept importing both G3s along with a variety of bolt action and semi automatic hunting rifles, addition to pistols such as the now iconic P7. They even had an arrangement with a little Italian company to import their shotguns to the US...a company called Benelli.

So they were importing guns left and right to the US, building facilities here and in short were loving selling guns to US customers. So what the hell happened?

In 1989 an executive order by George H.W. Bush reinterpreted the 1968 GCA's "sporting purposes" clause and declared that there was no sporting purpose for semi automatic rifles like the H&K 9x series, SIG 550s, FALs, AK-47s, etc. The ATF did ask for comments on this decision from gun magazine writers, industry people, manufacturers, state game commissioners, etc. The only company to put up a fight? H&K, who ran an ad in Shotgun News imploring owners of H&K firearms to write to the ATF about how they used their rifles for sporting purposes and describing all the sporting ways their products could be used. But their import was banned, and H&K was left with thousands of dollars in rifles sitting on the dock that had to be shipped back to Germany on their dime. What was their response to this? They spent money and tooling investment to create the SP89, a civilian semi auto version of the MP5k, since pistol imports had not been banned like semi auto rifle imports. What sort of reception did they get for this investment of time and energy? The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which banned the SP89 too.

Despite the US government costing them money and banning many of their products twice in 5 years, H&K continued to import pistols and hunting rifles during this time, and even produced neutered versions of their other firearms for import, such as the USC (a UMP 45) and the SL8 (a G36...sort of).

So now that the AWB has expired, why aren't they making us MP7s, MP5s, G36s, etc? Well, two reasons. 1) the '89 import ban still stands. 2) The German government (if you can believe it) is even more stupid on the subject of H&K than the US govt is. The German government funded the research and development of both the G36 and the MP7 and doesn't want us ordinary civilians to get our hands on something they spent money creating. Heck, even though H&Ks 416 was in production by 2005, was mostly based on US designs anyway and they wanted to import/sell them here, between the US govt and the German Govt it took until 2011 (6 freaking years!!!) to get them to allow partial importation of 416 parts, which are then finished here at facilities in the US (which is why the MR556 & MR762 are so damned expensive, but finally available).

The TL/DR version? H&K does not hate you. Not at all. H&K wants to sell you guns. The US Govt and the German govt? They hate you AND they hate H&K. And also money. They hate money too.

From the dealer side of things, I've seen several instances where HK did the same thing of undercutting dealers. That's where I think they are A-holes. That being said.... I do have HK in store and even have an SP5K (new MP5) and carry a p30sk myself.
BenderRodriguez
AG
MTxTwelve said:

texags08 said:

Mr. McGibblets said:

Eh, I wasn't there but it looks like a controlled shooting environment to me. So long as his muzzle doesn't cross into that plain, he's fine. Seems like they're following protocol of most 3 gun matches.

Doesn't 3 gun follow the same 180 degree rule that IDPA/USPSA do? If so, he would have been DQ'd at the 1:15 mark when he's running facing away from down range.

The shooting at the end in the screen cap isn't technically breaking the 180, but it's pretty damn close. Especially with someone standing on the other side of the line.

Regardless of if I was the shooter or the guy timing, I'd prefer a little more space between the muzzle and the other guy......

BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

From the dealer side of things, I've seen several instances where HK did the same thing of undercutting dealers. That's where I think they are A-holes. That being said.... I do have HK in store and even have an SP5K (new MP5) and carry a p30sk myself.

Don't know much about how they work with dealers, so that's disappointing.

But I dislike when people blame H&K for not having MP7s and other fun guns in the states....I think they'd sell them if our governments were less ******ed.

I find the German government stance on US civilians owning their precious guns especially adorable since they were happy to send RPGs to Saudi Arabia to bribe them for World Cup votes.

txyaloo
AG
The German government issue is fairly recent. Within the last 4-5 years, and that's mainly due to HK illegally exporting machine guns to Mexico that were falling into the hands of the cartels. That scandal broke in 2011 and Germany started killing export permits soon after. HK finally had to sue to get an arms export permit to Saudi Arabia.

They also make it much harder than it should be to get parts to service their legacy weapons. HK bolt heads for the MP5 shouldn't be worth their weight in gold. HK justified raising the prices because Germany was requiring them to which simply isn't true. They did it to stem the tide of people using them to fix the cheap US made clones...the hell with their customers who may need the parts.
texags08
AG
MTxTwelve said:

texags08 said:

Mr. McGibblets said:

I'm with you, but you bet your ass I wouldn't be there, regardless of how controlled it was. It just takes one in a million to be dead.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Finally took the new toy to the range, posted a seperate thread but my next post will be a copy of that on here since this is the AR thread of AR threads

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.