Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,111 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
ETxAg1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Rookie AR question I think I know the answer to but will defer to the experts...

If I'm trying to build an AR15 on a budget, is there any reason not to pick and choose pieces across vendors with the best prices? Everything should be compatible across vendors, right?

Pretty much. Ive built quite a few and the all have different brand lower and upper recievers, barrel, BCG.

Just stick to reputable brands
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
For bang for the buck, I can honestly say the group buy I'm running is going to be the best bang for the buck you can get. $500 for all of the parts to make a gun. Otherwise, be aware of a few nit picky things out there.... Some lowers are polymer. Look for established names and you'll be good to go.
killbutchereat
Alright cool. Saw a facebook ad for a store with only a few parts but is cheaper than most other places I can find. Might just go with them
killbutchereat
Thanks, I'll look into this. Not sure when if I'm going to be in the market in time for this deal but I'll check it out.
tlepoC
AG

I went from "one day I'll make one" to ordering 3 lowers and a build kit (with the idea I'll build a ranch gun now and then a high end middy and rifle with future purchases) to then going back a few weeks later and buying 2 lpks and uppers. If you don't close out out soon I'm probably going to finish out those two builds a few years ahead of schedule.
AgEngineer72
AG
Gotta bump this thread to get it back on first page to make it easier to find. Been trying to read it all but got tied up with work, now trying to get back to it. Thanks to all for educating me.
DV04
BenderRodriguez
AG
I like my A4 clone.

But it is heavy. 11 lbs or so heavy.

So I've settled on my next build: Lightweight. Goal is sub 6 lbs with a red dot.

Thinking alg rail, pencil barrel, lightweight bcg, no f/a upper....might go completely nuts and do a balios light weight receiver set too to see if I can get under 6 lbs with a loaded magazine. Just picked up a free SSA-E trigger at CWT, so that will be going into this one.

Should wind up looking something like this:

And all of the parts I have for the build so far....

maverick2076
PSA had a pretty good price on a SS pencil barrel 2 weeks ago. You might check if they still have it.
gumby579
AG
Optics wise...Aimpoint PRO the way to go? Going to throw it on my SBR and don't really plan on going out further than 100 yards. What say the OB?
Naveronski
AG
Yes, great optic.
maverick2076
quote:
Optics wise...Aimpoint PRO the way to go? Going to throw it on my SBR and don't really plan on going out further than 100 yards. What say the OB?

Honestly? Unless you are really going to be running the rifle hard and beating it up (like on a deployment) I'd save a couple hundred bucks, and a few ounces of weight, and go with Primary Arms' Advanced micro dot.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Going with the 14.5 faxon, with a welded voodoo manimal.

The real question on this build is whether or not I suck it up and pay for the lightweight upper/lower receivers or just see how light I can get it with the usual parts.

FrontPorchAg
quote:

If your not looking for anything special the dig Rameo is a couple Hundo cheaper.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
quote:

If your not looking for anything special the dig Rameo is a couple Hundo cheaper.

The what?

gumby579
AG
I figured (hoped) to be talked out of the Aimpoint.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
quote:
quote:

The what?

Sorry, fat figures and small phone. Sig Romeo is a decent red dot sight for less than the aim point.
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The what?

Sig Romeo?

Dammit. The answer hadn't been posted when I quoted.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The what?

Sorry, fat figures and small phone. Sig Romeo is a decent red dot sight for less than the aim point.

I was so confused.

BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

Honestly, for most of us doing recreational things the Primary Arms dot will serve fine.

But if you're going to have one optic....you've chosen well.
maverick2076
quote:

The PA advanced micro dot is a great sight. Tough, good dot, holds zero, lightweight, 50k hour battery life.

If you wait a week or two, you should be able to get their new micro dot. It's branded as a Holosun, but is made by PA and features their ACSS reticle, which is awesome.
Average Joe
AG
So....buffer tubes.

New build is my first pistol (future sbr) . 10.5" 300blk. I know I don't want a sig brace or fin. Just looking at padded or covered tubes, but that's not the focus of my question. My question is about springs. What should I be looking for other than pistol/carbine lengths?
El Chupacabra
Check out the deals on Palmetto State Armory.

5 30 round mags, 100 rounds green tip armor piercing exploding ammo for $70 shipped. Ordered 5.

5 G19 15 round mags (Pmag), 250 rounds for about $110 shipped. Ordered 2.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:

5 30 round mags, 100 rounds green tip armor piercing exploding ammo for $70 shipped. Ordered 5.

TamuKid
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm guessing that was sarcasm, mocking how it's portrayed by libtards... I hope.
MGS
I thought green tip was the designated cop-killing ammo.
TamuKid
AG
quote:
I thought green tip was the designated cop-killing ammo.
Yes, the correct terminology is:

Green Tip Armor Piercing Cop Killing Exploding Ammo
maverick2076
quote:
So....buffer tubes.

New build is my first pistol (future sbr) . 10.5" 300blk. I know I don't want a sig brace or fin. Just looking at padded or covered tubes, but that's not the focus of my question. My question is about springs. What should I be looking for other than pistol/carbine lengths?

A standard carbine weight buffer and spring will work just fine for you.
Mr. Dubi
quote:
So....buffer tubes.

I'm a little confused by the question. Are you asking if you should get a barrel with a pistol or carbine length gas system? If so, get pistol length for reliability.

If you are talking recoil spring, get a standard carbine spring and carbine buffer. This would give you the greatest amount of reliability with different ammo before having to mess with special springs, buffers, bolt carriers and gas port or block.

To keep it as simple as possible, just get a complete pistol buffer kit . Just about every AR parts maker offers one. I got one from Rock River for cheaper than that to use while I was waiting for my Form 1 stamp.
ETxAg1989
I have a 10.5" 300 Blk. I just bought the spikes st-2 kit that comes with the tube spring and buffer. Haven't had any issues with subs or supers with or without Supressor

I really like the look and feel of the spike buffers. Seem really well made compared to others.
http://www.primaryarms.com/sla500r-k/p/sla500r-k/
MTxTwelve
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not sure if real or you're Barnes....
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Better make him post a pic with his name in it like y'all did with my HKs
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
At least the photo is from his own Instagram and AR15.com accounts.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Okay I think I remember this guy now. Sorry about that. Carry on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.