Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

493,671 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The other nice thing about the new build is that now that I have a red dot and 5x on qd mounts, I can take the 1-4x off my dissipator. It was pretty damn silly to have a gun designed solely for its iron sight radius and not be using irons.

gumby579
AG
So anyone want to buy an unused Holosun 515C? I grabbed one of the Holosun reflex sights today.
aggie4231
AG
Whats the difficulty rating of going from a FSB and 2 piece handguard to low profile gas block and FF?

What tools would I need? This is on a PSA 16" barrel/upper.

Got some Cabela's gift cards burning a hole in the wallet, and time to do some upgrades.
maverick2076
It's a PITA, but it's not technically difficult. You need a good set of punches and a hammer.
CharlieBrown17
AG
You also need a barrel nut wrench, the free float rail will use a different barrel nut the one with the clamshell
Jason_Ag98
AG
I'm interested in building a pistol in .300BLK that I could later convert to SBR and add a suppressor to. I'm a little overwhelmed at all the options, though. Does anyone have any recommendations or any pointers to good online resources? I'm thinking of things like how to choose the right barrel, suppressor, and handguard combination.
MTxTwelve
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sdce57][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/S71Yx6][/url]
Van Buren Boy
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

I'm interested in building a pistol in .300BLK that I could later convert to SBR and add a suppressor to. I'm a little overwhelmed at all the options, though. Does anyone have any recommendations or any pointers to good online resources? I'm thinking of things like how to choose the right barrel, suppressor, and handguard combination.
I went with Aero for the upper, lower and handguard. Ballistics Advantage for the barrel. Strike Industries for the lpk, muzzle device and charging handle. Magpul grip, PSA bcg and ALG trigger.

https://instagr.am/p/BQ3Wb4fhYn7
BenderRodriguez
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

BreNayPop said:

One never really 'finishes' a build... at best they pause to continue a build on another lower.

This is way less funny today.

Ordered a CAR stock for my lightweight build but it was in back order so picked up the minimalist stock instead.

Now I'm sitting here staring at this thing going "this sure would look good on a 723 or 727 clone...."

BreNayPop
AG
Sbr with suppressor that bad boy on a poly lower with light weight upper.

On the plus side, thatll give you plenty of other leftover parts to start another build with.
AG @ HEART
Looking to get a Troy tomahawk stock anybody have one? Any issues arise except that having an ambi bolt release is almost a no go?
DatTallArchitect
AG
AG @ HEART said:

Looking to get a Troy tomahawk stock anybody have one? Any issues arise except that having an ambi bolt release is almost a no go?

I watched a great YouTube video comparing that to the Armaspec stock this afternoon. Check it out:

txyaloo
AG
AG @ HEART said:

I have one on my "FDE rainbow" gun and like it a lot.

BCO07
AG
Started a semi redundant thread because I don't pay enough attention and this would probably be a good place to ask so here's the meat of it:

I'm in the market for an AR pistol set up for home defense. I'm trying to decide on barrel length and have really no clue as functional difference as I haven't shot many rifles with barrel length below 10". I plan on suppressing it at some point, so I'd like to keep it as short as possible. My gut tells me that there is little difference between a 7"or 8" barrel at 15-20'

Also trying to stay as cheap as possible, can anybody beat a psa build for under 500?
AgLA06
AG
Caliber?
BCO07
AG
5.56/.223
maverick2076
Don't go below 10.5" if you are going to suppress 5.56. Most suppressors will not take the pressure.

I'd highly recommend you build a .300 BLK with an 8"-9" barrel instead. It will suppress better and perform better at close ranges than 5.56.

If you really want short, do what I did and build an AR-9 or an AR-45 with a 4.5" barrel and suppress that.
BCO07
AG
I'd prefer to stay with 5.56 for cost and keeping things efficient reasons. From a suppressor not being able to handle the pressure standpoint does that mean I'll just have to pay more for the suppressor or does it mean good luck finding one.
AGricola08
AG
Pretty sure the Sig SRD556 is rated down to 7.5", but not 100%. I have one on the way..... at some point
AgLA06
AG
In my opinion, efficiency reasons are bad reasons to decide how to build a home defense weapon.

I suggest doing some research and build the best weapon for your situation and forget efficiency.

That's why I ask about which caliber. The 300 Blackout suggestion is a good one.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guy in Broken Arrow, OK last week killed three intruders with two shots from his AR. That seems pretty efficient.
The Wonderer
AG
maverick2076 said:

Don't go below 10.5" if you are going to suppress 5.56. Most suppressors will not take the pressure.

I'd highly recommend you build a .300 BLK with an 8"-9" barrel instead. It will suppress better and perform better at close ranges than 5.56.

If you really want short, do what I did and build an AR-9 or an AR-45 with a 4.5" barrel and suppress that.
I'd like to know more about the ar45.
maverick2076
Probably both. If I get a chance, I'll post pics of the difference in length between my AR-9 and my 300 with the suppressor on.
maverick2076
It's pretty straightforward build, although it's pricey because Quarter Circle 10 is the only ones making a lower for it that takes Glock mags. The upper needs to have an oversized ejection port (.458 SOCOM compatible) and the BCG is a little pricey. I built one as a pistol with the thought of SBR'ing and suppressing it, but decided it really didn't offer enough for me over the AR-9 I'd already SBR'd and suppressed so I sold it to a friend. Good shooter and fun though. I've got some pics of it I can post later.
BCO07
AG
My thought is that I don't want pmags floating around in different calibers. Iike the idea of one mag to fit everything I own in the AR platform. Additionally, for home defense I like .223 for over penetration purposes.
The Wonderer
AG
BCO07 said:

My thought is that I don't want pmags floating around in different calibers. Iike the idea of one mag to fit everything I own in the AR platform. Additionally, for home defense I like .223 for over penetration purposes.

Use tape to mark the mags by caliber and type.
maverick2076
Use different color mags for different calibers. Or use Pmags for 5.56 and aluminum mags for .300. Or use 30 rounders for 5.56 and 20 rounders for .300. There are lots of different ways to discriminate between mags.
mts6175
AG
http://www.magbands.com/
fire09
AG
Green pmags for 300, black for 556
The Wonderer
AG
My system is

white - .223 55g
green - 5.56 62g green tips
black - 300 blk 150g soft tips
red - 300 blk 147 fmj
BenderRodriguez
AG
I was actually thinking I'd make a Colt 727 clone....

BenderRodriguez
AG
There's a reason Colt and others generally only went to 10.5" in 5.56. It has a lot more to do with reliability than ballistics.

10.5" is the absolute minimum I'd go with on a gun I thought might be used for self defense in 5.56.
BCO07
AG
Well consider me convinced on going a bit longer with the 10.5. I still don't like the idea of 300 blk because it's more likely to end up it the next room with a lot of force. Time to go price uppers.
The Wonderer
AG
No true regarding the 300 blk.
BCO07
AG
Most of the ammo tests I can find online have supersonic 300blk going through 3+ sheets of sheet rock and subsonic makes no sense to me for home defense because at those speeds I don't see the benefit over a glock

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.