Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

504,259 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Off by two lbs.

14 lbs, 3 oz with a loaded 20.

Surprised no one has made fun of my ghetto scope mount yet.

CharlieBrown17
AG
You flip around a PA extended mount?
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

You flip around a PA extended mount?

Yep.

Rings I had wouldn't clear the rear sight with the big ass on the 1-8.

I thought it would be way, way too high in this mount but with the cheek rest at that height it actually is a pretty natural position and lines up nicely.

The other option besides really, really high rings or a different optic is to get the cantilever scope mount that bridges the gap, but I saw online that other people had flipped AR mounts around for use on sage stocks successfully and thought I'd give it a try.

It bore sighted easily enough, we will see if I still like it or need to suck it up and buy a better option once I zero it and start giving this thing a workout.
maverick2076
If it works, it works.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sounds like you may want to look into the long mount from Geissele.

#geisseleallthethings
DatTallArchitect
AG
Does anyone have experience with the Elf Ultralight Aluminum Stock? It's really intriguing me.

http://www.elftactical.com/ELF-Ultralight-Aluminum-Stock_p_39.html
Fatvis
AG
Bender - what brand are those HK style sights? What do you think of them?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Big_Rig said:

Bender - what brand are those HK style sights? What do you think of them?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, saw this post, was going to dig up a link and then got distracted/busy.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/416-STYLE-PICATINNY-SIGHT-SET-W-HK-DIOPTER-p87.htm

I really like HK style diopter sights as back ups to red dots. I might have to pick up another set soon.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Also, was taking some pics for a knife thread on another site and thought this one was appropriate here: Ontario OKC3S bayonet with my 20" A4 eyeguy build.

45-70Ag
AG
The mayor of London would like a word with you
BenderRodriguez
AG
Irish_Man said:

The mayor of London would like a word with you

I'd be happy to drive over for a chat with him in a rental van.
Silvy
AG
I've been waiting on PSA to bring their 16" AR9 uppers back in stock, they haven't had anything since the last run.
maverick2076
Check with Primary Arms. They usually have some 16" 9mm uppers in stock. Or go shorter and build a pistol with a brace instead.
reddog90
AG
Ulysses90 said:

I'm not sure why but it exists and is for sale at Defender Outdoors. To each his own.

SPIKE'S TACTICAL STLS030 SNOWFLAKE STRIPPED LOWER
Why do I really want to buy this
Daddy-O5
AG

Got a nice tax refund this year. My new baby. 300BO.
reddog90
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

My three favorite 5.56 guns:

Top to bottom: Texian Firearms 20" A4 clone, 14.5" lightweight build (my favorite rifle, period), 10.5" pistol with law folder. They're all good guns in different ways. The 20" gun is a soft, soft shooter. The 14.5" gun is just so light and handy, it's my favorite shooter by far. The 10.5" gun fits into a backpack with the law folder and makes a great travel gun. 2 out of the 3 have G triggers. Need to put one in the 20" gun at some point, and get an ACOG to make it a more correct A4. Might also freefloat the 10.5" gun and put in some ambi parts. Part of the motivation of maybe selling some stuff is to get these three all set up perfectly because I'm def keeping these three.

What are the specs on your 14.5" lightweight build?
BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

Standard PSA lower
Magpul K2 grip
Standard lower parts kit, minus Geissele SSA-E and CMMG ambi safety
Spikes T2 buffer kit
B5 Sopmod stock
Aero Upper w/o Forward Assist
AIM Lightweight BCG
BCM Ambi Gunfighter charging hadlle, Mod 4 size
Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel, midlength gas
13" ALG EMR V2
Voodoo Manimal pinned and welded
Low profile .650 gas block

The Faxon lightweight barrel is the biggest savings weight wise. The Lightweight BCG helps too, as does an upper without forward assist.

But if you want to go semi lightweight without getting nuts, go with a faxon barrel and a lightweight free float rail.

The ALG isn't the absolute lightest option out there, but it is very light, strong, and provides machined QD points for slings and the ability to mount accessories anywhere on the rail I need to mount something, so I'm a big fan of it as a "do it all" option.

DatTallArchitect
AG
What are your thoughts on the PSA lower? I was thinking about getting one of these as a gift for a friend.
BenderRodriguez
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

What are your thoughts on the PSA lower? I was thinking about getting one of these as a gift for a friend.

I've had several stripped PSA lowers that I've built guns from. Haven't had any fitment issues with them yet with any parts, or function issues.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Speaking of that picture of the three favs from earlier in the thread.

The 14.5" lightweight is still be far my favorite, "if I could only have one" rifle. Handy, lightweight, accurate. Just a great, great gun.

The 20" isn't getting an ACOG after all. Can't justify the expense just to be "clone correct" especially on a gun that gets shot less often than my main AR, so I picked up another Primary Arms 5x prism for it that should be here this week since I liked it so much on my 14.5" gun.

The 10.5" gun is still fun, but that same lower/law folder set up is a lot nicer with my 8.5" 300 blk upper than my 10.5" 5.56 upper, so that one gets used less often now.

I'll do a repeat of that picture with the updated set ups when my 5x gets here later this week.
reddog90
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

reddog90 said:

Standard PSA lower
Magpul K2 grip
Standard lower parts kit, minus Geissele SSA-E and CMMG ambi safety
Spikes T2 buffer kit
B5 Sopmod stock
Aero Upper w/o Forward Assist
AIM Lightweight BCG
BCM Ambi Gunfighter charging hadlle, Mod 4 size
Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel, midlength gas
13" ALG EMR V2
Voodoo Manimal pinned and welded
Low profile .650 gas block

The Faxon lightweight barrel is the biggest savings weight wise. The Lightweight BCG helps too, as does an upper without forward assist.

But if you want to go semi lightweight without getting nuts, go with a faxon barrel and a lightweight free float rail.

The ALG isn't the absolute lightest option out there, but it is very light, strong, and provides machined QD points for slings and the ability to mount accessories anywhere on the rail I need to mount something, so I'm a big fan of it as a "do it all" option.

Thank you.

Are you glad you went without a forward assist? I frequently press check and hit my forward assist. Not sure if I'd like not having one.

I don't have any experience with lightweight BCGs. Does running a lightweight BCG affect what you choose for a buffer and buffer spring? Does your setup work well?
zag213004
AG
AR-15 build question

I am doing my first build and looking to install geissele SSA-E into M4E1 Aero Precision lower. I am concerned about the wear of trigger and hammer pins caused by rotation. I have considered KNS .154" standard diameter anti rotation pins to replace the Geissele pins but I get conflicting information that I should not or that I should. AR-15 builders (and bender /eyeguy) what say you?
jabberwalkie09
AG
zwhag2010 said:

AR-15 build question

I am doing my first build and looking to install geissele SSA-E into M4E1 Aero Precision lower. I am concerned about the wear of trigger and hammer pins caused by rotation. I have considered KNS .154" standard diameter anti rotation pins to replace the Geissele pins but I get conflicting information that I should not or that I should. AR-15 builders (and bender /eyeguy) what say you?

Use the hammer and trigger pins included in the package. I'm not exactly sure why you're concerned about wear though, is the gun cerakoted? It doesn't seem like there would be too much wear anyways.

Anyways, anti rotation pins are good for drop in triggers that with standard pins wouldn't stay in place. The hammer spring keeps the trigger pin in place, and the hammer has a spring to keep the hammer spring in place. One piece drop-in triggers don't have the ability to retain standard pins in the same manner.
reddog90
AG
Geissele says to only use the pins included with their triggers. Don't worry about KNS pins.
gibberish
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

zwhag2010 said:

AR-15 build question

Use the hammer and trigger pins included in the package. I'm not exactly sure why you're concerned about wear though, is the gun cerakoted? It doesn't seem like there would be too much wear anyways.

Anyways, anti rotation pins are good for drop in triggers that with standard pins wouldn't stay in place. The hammer spring keeps the trigger pin in place, and the hammer has a spring to keep the hammer spring in place. One piece drop-in triggers don't have the ability to retain standard pins in the same manner.
Just to add, Geissele discourages the use of anti rotation pins explicitly. As Jabber said it is not necessary given how the trigger is held in.

Also consider this, the army has tons of mil spec triggers with thousands and thousands of trigger pulls and never has the army added a requirement for KNS pins in all the updates the M16 and M4 has had. It's only an internet or crap lower problem.

Your Aero should be fine and you can bust out the calipers and verify its in spec.
DatTallArchitect
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

This. When you install the trigger, you will understand.
zag213004
AG
thanks for the replies. Geissele pins it is then
Puryear Playboy
AG
gibberish said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

zwhag2010 said:

AR-15 build question

Just to add, Geissele discourages the use of anti rotation pins explicitly. As Jabber said it is not necessary given how the trigger is held in.

Also consider this, the army has tons of mil spec triggers with thousands and thousands of trigger pulls and never has the army added a requirement for KNS pins in all the updates the M16 and M4 has had. It's only an internet or crap lower problem.

Your Aero should be fine and you can bust out the calipers and verify its in spec.

And cops use 870's, so they are the best shotgun out there. Not exactly.

There are lots of oversized pins in armory drawers. For good reason.

Does that mean the average AR owner will ever fire enough rounds to need one? Likely not.

I will give you a very good reason to run them if you are now running standard pins. Put a little oil on your pins from the outside of the receiver and dryfire the rifle while watching the pin in it's hole. You will see it moving. That's slop in your trigger. AW pins will make any standard trigger (including JPs) and even drop ins designed for standard pins feel better. In some cases...much, much better.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Thoughts on the Gilboa Snake

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/gilboa-double-barrel-snake-ar15-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Yep66
AG
DatTallArchitect
AG
Not bad for 2 barrels.
gibberish
AG
Didn't say they were best. Only that if any one organization has enough information, trigger pulls, and the organizational clout to make a change if necessary it's the army. Especially given the history of incrementally improving the m16/m4 specifically.

I'm not an army armorer that's not my mos but have never heard of anyone having a failure related to pins walking out. But if they help you sleep at night, rock on.
MGS
I'm disappointed that he's not using two scopes.

BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

Thank you.

Are you glad you went without a forward assist? I frequently press check and hit my forward assist. Not sure if I'd like not having one.

I don't have any experience with lightweight BCGs. Does running a lightweight BCG affect what you choose for a buffer and buffer spring? Does your setup work well?

I am. You can use your thumb on the BCG itself to push if needed after that.

It depends on the build. I started with standard buffer and spring to see how it did and I've had zero issues, but some people using them have had to experiment a little to find the right combo.

I love the gun, and the lighter weight from the forward assist delete and lightweight BCG absolutely play a part in that. It works great, it is my most used AR and I'll be busting it out for Cola Warrior this year.

CharlieBrown has shot it, he can tell you his impressions but it balances and handles exceptionally well. The AR was meant to be a lightweight fighting rifle and this gun gets back to that concept in a good way, I think.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Liked my PA 5x prism so much I bought another one.

From top to bottom: 20" A4 clone ish in 5.56 with PA 5x, 14.5" pinned to 16" lightweight build with 5x, 8.5" 300 blk pistol with law folder.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.