Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

503,862 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have and use both for my AR
The Wonderer
AG
dubi said:

Multiple soft cases with the Velcro slots on the outside for mags.
This. I have a soft side with mag pockets on the outside for carrying in the truck.

For travel/carrying multiple rifles, I have hard sided Plano cases that I can stack together in the bed of the truck.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Hard cases for precision rifles with valuable optics, or for long trips packed in the truck. Soft cases to throw a gun in the truck for a quick trip.
TexasAggies06
AG
As the last few posters have shown, the correct answer is always "both."
Bazooka Joe
AG
txswag06 said:

As the last few posters have shown, the correct answer is always "both."

The type/kind is both and the exact number is always one more.
maverick2076
I like soft cases, personally. My wife just bought me a really nice two rifle soft case from Academy.
Zjones920
Just a fair warning I'm very new to the AR world. I bought a grab bag AR from Eyeguy and I finally shot it today. It was having trouble feeding the next round and I have zero idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated
AgLA06
AG
Zjones920 said:

Just a fair warning I'm very new to the AR world. I bought a grab bag AR from Eyeguy and I finally shot it today. It was having trouble feeding the next round and I have zero idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated

Does it have an adjustable gas block?
The Wonderer
AG
Zjones920 said:

What are you shooting through it?

Nealthedestroyer
AG
Zjones920 said:

Can you be more specific about what you mean with feeding the next round? What ammo, what magazines? Was it a double feed? Was the bolt not locking back after firing?
maverick2076
What ammo were you shooting through it? A lot of times new rifles won't cycle on cheaper 55 grain ammo at first. Get the rifle well lubricated and put a couple hundred rounds of good 62 grain green tips through it.
bam02
AG
I had the same/similar issue with my bargain build, too. I've had it a few months but only put sights on it a couple of weeks ago. I finally got to shoot a little and through 60 rounds it never fed a single round on it's own. I had a few FTE's, too.

I was shooting some reman 5.56 from Freedom. I don't remember but probably 55 gr. I also had bit cleaned and oiled it beforehand. I am not too concerned about it at this point. I took it apart to clean it and really oiled it thoroughly. I will also try some better ammo. Beyond that I was going to just ask the OB or contact EyeGuy.

I will follow this thread to see if there are any other suggestions, too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Remans are usually a bit low on powder, freedom has supposedly been bad about it but I've never had a problem with theirs personally.
Zjones920
Ammo: Stand1Armory 55g FMJ

The casing would eject and I had to keep pulling the charging handle to feed the next round.

I'm not sure if the gas block is adjustable.

I was using a 10 rd pmag and since it wasn't working I switched to a 30 and still had issues
CharlieBrown17
AG
Was the bolt completely closing but not picking up a new round or was the round getting stuck on the way in?
CharlieBrown17
AG
DDP.
Zjones920
I'm pretty sure the bolt was closing and just not picking up a round.
The Wonderer
AG
Did you lube the bolt?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Then the bolt isn't traveling back far enough which is either a gas system or ammo issue.

So either weak ammo esp for a new build or the gas block is adjustable and not open enough, the gas key on the bolt isn't completely staked correctly, or the gas block isn't on completely aligned etc etc

Trying some 62 gr m855 or similar will be the easiest first step.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The Wonderer said:

Did you lube the bolt?

Like 98% this if you didn't
Zjones920
After about 20 rounds I put some rem oil on the bolt
The Wonderer
AG
Did you try a different magazine? Having a bolt close into battery, but fail to pick up a round, makes me think the mag isn't seated properly, thus alignment is off.
Zjones920
I tried a 10 round pmag and a 30 round pmag. There's a chance I didn't fully insert the mag [insert twss joke] but I slammed it in pretty good because I thought that might be the issue
The Wonderer
AG
Whenever you think seating the mag might be the issue, slam your palm, but also try to pull it back out.

When you charged after a FTF, did it feed properly?
GeeBee
AG
I had the same issue on my bargain build. First mag was like this: fire, click, charge it, fire, click, repeat and rinse. It got better on second mag and so on. Using federal brass ammo 55 gr. after 90 rds it was running pretty good but would still have an issue every once in a while.

I was getting failure to feed, and miss feed (grabbing the round mid case and denting it), failure to lock the bolt after the last round. So basically short cycling.

I checked the gas block, it seemed ok. So my next guess was I'm loosing energy somewhere from friction. Everything was lubed up as it should be.

What I did notice is that if the charging handle was let go any closer than all the way back the bolt would not lock and fully seat (even empty, not chambering a round). The parkerized or whatever finish on the bolt seemed really heavy, almost gritty on the BCG.

The bolt was really stiff and hard to rotate in and out. So popped the bolt out and polished it up a little with jewelers rouge (the bolt locking teeth so it would engage the barrel easier) and the bolt cam pin.

The bolt seemed to function much better and and I was able to run three mags without a hiccup.

Oh yeah, and I tried about 7 different mags and three different brands before I polished the BCG parts: magpul, hex, troy
CactusThomas
AG
maverick2076 said:

What ammo were you shooting through it? A lot of times new rifles won't cycle on cheaper 55 grain ammo at first. Get the rifle well lubricated and put a couple hundred rounds of good 62 grain green tips through it.

I've never heard of or experienced that problem. New rifles should work out of the box.
Zjones920
Yes. It fed just fine when I charged it.
The Wonderer
AG
Sounds like the bolt isn't blowing back all the way.\

Refer back up to GeeBee's post
Zjones920
Perfect. Something I have no idea how to do! YouTube here I come
The Wonderer
AG
Zjones920 said:

Perfect. Something I have no idea how to do! YouTube here I come
GeeBee
AG
YouTube will definitely help you on dissembling. The parts I polished were the teeth on #8 that lock the breech and the cam pin #9. It doesn't take much polishing. Less is more. Just knock off the grit.

https://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/Schematics~AR15
Zjones920
Well it will be a few days before I can do that. We are at the ranch for the next week or so.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
This sounds like the issue I've had with my new build to a T. Will try your suggestions, thanks a lot.
Zjones920
New update. It looks like it's feeding but I guess it's not fully closing the bolt. When I pull the trigger after it closes it just clicks like there isn't a round in it. I pull the charging handle and let go and pull the trigger and it goes boom.
The Wonderer
AG
When you pull the charging handle, do it eject a round?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.