Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

494,276 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
tx4guns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't sell them.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I've probably built/own more ARs than anyone on here.

I just think a hand gun or shotgun would be easier to use inside a home
Texas_Aggies12
I would do either 5.56 or 6.8 spc

That's what my Caliber collection consists of right now, 300 Blk, 5.56 and 6.8

I think I'm gonna build a 458 socom next just because the bullets look intimidating/awesome
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
Bwahahahahahahaha
Texas_Aggies12
Must have you confused with someone else then. Thought you had a shop.

Well you've define you got me beat then
tx4guns
AG
Dad has one.
CharlieBrown17
AG
How the hell is a shotgun better in a home?

Any shotgun worth using for home defense is going to have a pistol group like an AR, recoil more than an AR and overpenetrate more than an AR.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
How the hell is a shotgun better in a home?

Any shotgun worth using for home defense is going to have a pistol group like an AR, recoil more than an AR and overpenetrate more than an AR.

Bc a shotgun goes :boom chicka boom chicka boom.....chicka boom: while a AR goes :pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew*:

*10 round mag was used in this demonstration and if you had the cheerleaders chant song for the shotgun then you get 100 interwebs points.
MasterAggie
tx4guns
AG
I'm crying...
pdtnation
AG
Does anyone have a Geissele SMR MK2 rail? I purchased one during the Geissele blem sale but it didn't come with rail sections. Does anyone know if the ALG EMR rail sections work in the Geissele? The ALGs are $10 cheaper each. I feel a little burned by Geissele not including the normal 3 rail sections with the blem. Basically you have to pay an additional $95 to purchase the sections that otherwise would have been included. It would have been a better deal to have bought an un-blemmed one during the PA $25% off sale.
txyaloo
AG
quote:

I just think a hand gun or shotgun would be easier to use inside a home
Plenty of us on here have built, owned, shot, and handled more ARs than you can likely think of.

Help us understand the basis for your opinion so we can point out all of the reasons you're wrong. A short barreled suppressed carbine with a white light and an RDS is the best option for "home defense", 300BLK really excels in this category.

Why do you think the military and police departments went to M4 variants over the MP5 for SWAT and assaulters? Why don't they primarily use shotguns? Why don't they just use handguns? The answers to those questions are the same reasons handguns and shotguns aren't the best option for home defense.
Shiner Bock
Recommendations on slings and sling attachments. I have an MOE buttstock that I was looking to attach to as well as placing a swivel on the handguard but am having trouble finding a way to get the sling attached to the buttstock. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Also thought about just placing a Magpul ASAP on there for the sling attachment
maverick2076
Magpul MS3 Sling with ASAP plate and an RSA for the front sling attachment. I love the ability to easily convert from single point to 2 point.
WC87
AG
Recommendations for 300 blk magazines? Would like to get a couple 10 rounds, 20, and 30.
txyaloo
AG
I use VCAS slings. The quick adjust is great when transitioning between shooting shoulders.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling
maverick2076
quote:
Recommendations for 300 blk magazines? Would like to get a couple 10 rounds, 20, and 30.

Same as standard AR mags. I use standard aluminum issue mags with tan followers. Lots of good options out there for polymer body mags. I know Magpul makes a 20 rounder.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
quote:

Same as standard AR mags. I use standard aluminum issue mags with tan followers. Lots of good options out there for polymer body mags. I know Magpul makes a 20 rounder.

Yep, standard AR mags work for 300blk. They were designed to do so. But mark your 300blk mags somehow.

I know some folks use only black for 5.56 and tan for 300blk, red tape on the bottom of 300blk mags, only steel for 5.56 and polymer for 300blk, etc.

Do not want to get those two mixed up at the range.
tx4guns
AG
I only use 20rd mags for 300BLK and 30rd mags for 223.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, standard AR mags work for 300blk. They were designed to do so. But mark your 300blk mags somehow.

I know some folks use only black for 5.56 and tan for 300blk, red tape on the bottom of 300blk mags, only steel for 5.56 and polymer for 300blk, etc.

Do not want to get those two mixed up at the range.
This is a good point. I'm fixing to start a .300blk build, and I am planning on buying polymer mags for that rifle.

I'm planning to do a similar thing with my AR-9 build. It is going to be a dedicated suppressed gun, so I'm going to use ETS mags for it instead of standard Glock mags to clearly keep my subsonics separate from my standard ammo.
maverick2076
Well, recent events have spurred me to stop piddling around on my AR builds and order all my parts for the AR's I've been wanting to build. I really don't want to spend all the money at once, but I've got a 0% credit card so I can pay it off over a few months, and I'd rather bite the bullet and do it now while the parts are available. So, now I've got in progress:

9mm AR SBR: 4.5" barrel, dedicated Glock mag lower, will have a (mostly) dedicated Form 1 Suppressor. This one is built as a pistol, just needs optics and waiting on tax stamps.

5.56mm SBR: 10.5" barrel, Still need an upper, CH and handguard. It will have a muzzle device so it can share the Form 1 .30 cal can I am building to go on my next build.

.300BLK SBR: 8" barrel. This one will wear the .30 cal can most of the time. Still need the barrel, upper receiver, CH, gas tube, and hand guard.

5.56mm AR: 18" barrel. Side charger, fixed Luth-AR MBA-1 stock, slim Keymod handguard. This one will get a scope (Strike Eagle, 1-6 PA ACSS?). Probably put the same muzzle device on it as the above two so I can suppress it if I want.

Needless to say, the SBRs will be built as pistols until the tax stamps come in.

I currently have a 16" with a red dot, A2 front sight and light. Once I get the others built, I'll pull the red dot off, put a carry handle on, and make it a no frills truck gun. think that will pretty much wrap up my AR-15 builds for a while.
Scriffer
AG
After four months, I finally got around to working a deal with TheEyeGuy this morning. Now I just have to be patient for a month or so.
NOLAAG88
AG
quote:
After four months, I finally got around to working a deal with TheEyeGuy this morning. Now I just have to be patient for a month or so.
What did you decide to go with?

I've just recently started to get interested but am very, very behind the knowledge curve on these things.

I'll just take a Friday off when heading to Aggieland this fall and stop in at Texian to see EyeGuy. My only hurry is to figure out what I want and get him building before the politicians or agitators win!
Scriffer
AG
Did the Armadillo series build in .223 Wylde with the 18" barrel and added flip-up sights. EyeGuy is good people.
gumby579
AG

Just finished this one up after I got the stamp this week. Figured this would be the most appropriate place to post it. Thanks to EyeGuy for the upper/lower!
GigemCO2008
AG
What type of mag is that?
It's purrty
gumby579
AG
quote:
What type of mag is that?
It's purrty
It's a Lancer AWM in translucent smoke
Knucklesammich
I use a handgun for home defense because it's easier to secure from little toddler fingers than an AR.

That being said in the process of purchasing my first AR in light of recent events.

I'll probably set it up for home defense as well and in a couple of years when the kiddos are older replace my bedside pistol with it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
I use a handgun for home defense because it's easier to secure from little toddler fingers than an AR.

That being said in the process of purchasing my first AR in light of recent events.

I'll probably set it up for home defense as well and in a couple of years when the kiddos are older replace my bedside pistol with it.

Completely understand. No experience with these products (no kids yet) but there are some options:

http://www.btibrands.com/product/ar-15-mag-well-lock-with-wall-mount/?mobile=true

https://firearmpros.com/truckvault-shotlock-ar-style-carbine.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwtqe8BRCs-9DdpMOilBoSJAAyqWz_iy4_enNQCsVhvWLK0jrB-Pg0akjbmxiMmZHlW17bHBoCB3Tw_wcB

BenderRodriguez
AG
ttha_aggie_09
BenderRodriguez
AG
Threw a Vortex Crossfire II onto my 20" A4. I love irons, and they're great for short range...but I'm doing a run and gun competition for fun in August that requires hits out to 300 meters after the running part, and I'm just not confident of my ability to make hits off hand with a heart rate of 160 bpm and irons, so I'm breaking out the 1-4, and a bipod on a YHM mount.

Incidentally, if anyone else wants to come along, eat peeps, do stupid obstacles, probably throw up and shoot some pistol/rifle targets after all that, let me know.

And for those who haven't shot at distance with AR irons before, this is a general idea of what man sized targets look like at 300 meters:

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What scope mounts do you guys use or reccomend? I recently bought a Nikon p223 3x32 and I had bought Weaver tactical 6point rings but they were too low.

Do yall prefer 1 piece or 2 piece mounts?

Anyone use this weaver mount:
Weaver Thumbnut SPR 1-Inch Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU6DDTY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_6XNKxb83GBD3D
BenderRodriguez
AG
One piece mounts are the way to go on ARs.

Too often with an AR and two piece ring set ups, you'd need to bridge between the top rail on barrel and the rail on the receiver to get good eye relief, which can lead to accuracy/consistency issues.

mts6175
AG
quote:
What scope mounts do you guys use or reccomend? I recently bought a Nikon p223 3x32 and I had bought Weaver tactical 6point rings but they were too low.

Do yall prefer 1 piece or 2 piece mounts?

Anyone use this weaver mount:
Weaver Thumbnut SPR 1-Inch Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU6DDTY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_6XNKxb83GBD3D

Nikon makes a one piece mount for the 223 scopes that's pretty good and cheaper than that one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.