****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

212,031 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
to me taking a QB in the 2nd , 3rd, or 4th is half assing it.

if Wentz or Goff is there at 4 and you think they are franchise guys, then take em there and be done with it.

otherwise, you have the opportunity to get 3-4 guys who can come in and immediately help you because you are drafting so high.

personally, i very much prefer the latter plan.

Bob was saying that of the 32 starters last year, 27 were in the first 40 picks. Of the other five, only Romo, Brady, and Wilson are anything noteworthy. Basically, a team will hit on a mid to late round QB once every six years.
jr15aggie
AG
Part of me wonders if Dallas's complete lack of interest in a QB is because they know San Diego could very well bail if a team wanted to come up to #3 and get the QB before Dallas. I know Jerry isn't stupid and fully understands that with a healthy Romo this team will not be drafting in the top 10 for the next couple years.
PooDoo
AG
Look at the cash Chase Daniels brought in. If you can fill your back up QB with a young 4-5th round pick... That's awesome!

I want to watch real close how the Packer handle Brett Hundley. I believe they are going to go out of their way to make him look good in preseason games. They are going to decide within the next couple of years if he is the heir apparent and either sign him long term or trade him for a 1st or 2nd.

I would not be upset at all if we could take Prescott in the 4th and start polishing his rough edges. Play him against the 2nd team defense with the 1st string offense in preseason.... Make him look amazing... Trade him to the Cardinals or Browns in 2 years when they are trying to find their next starter.
corleoneAg99
AG
With Romo's health and age they need a guy who can actually play and potentially be a long term replacement...not a project for trade like Hundley. IMO of course. I actually think Jerry is more or less in line with the post above.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Yeah they need to take Ramsey or Wentz if theyre available. If they take jack I'm going to throw something
jr15aggie
AG
There is talk Ramsey could go numero uno.
BassCowboy33
quote:
With Romo's health and age they need a guy who can actually play and potentially be a long term replacement...not a project for trade like Hundley. IMO of course. I actually think Jerry is more or less in line with the post above.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people have the "don't take a backup at #4" thought process. It's not a backup. It's your starter for the next 10-15 years.
corleoneAg99
AG
Jeremiah just put out a new mock that I think represents the current chalk:

Tunsil
Wentz
Ramsey
Bosa
Hargreaves
Buckner
Jack

Goff dropping all the way to STL.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I'm not sure why people have the "don't take a backup at #4" thought process. It's not a backup. It's your starter for the next 10-15 years.
I'm assuming Jerry would consider taking a QB at 4 would be flushing the Romo Superbowl dream.

Even if they pick a QB at 4 a late round QB to push the Golden Boy would be smart too.
PooDoo
AG

BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm assuming Jerry would consider taking a QB at 4 would be flushing the Romo Superbowl dream.

Even if they pick a QB at 4 a late round QB to push the Golden Boy would be smart too.

Or doing what Jimmy did with Walsh and Aikman.
Sea Gull
AG
Cowboys picked up Alfred Morris? I hope he ends up being alright...I've always liked that dude, even if he did play for the Redskins.
PooDoo
AG
Maybe not spend a #1 overall for the next Walsh but I think competition for every position brings out the best in players.

EDIT:
And I think that's the main ingredient that's been missing since Jimmy was asked to leave.
jr15aggie
AG
Got Jack Crawford back. That was a very nice patient get for the Cowboys. Another 1 year deal so the guy will play hungry for us once again! I'm pleased we are at least filling holes so we can have options on draft day instead of being forced, but we definitely need to get better at multiple positions.

I'm still reading some people think Zeke might be the best overall player. I haven't studied film on the guy, but I remember that championship game when he was a sophomore and I was floored. I get the feeling he's every bit as good as advertised and, sounding like a broken record, I'm all for this pick. Our offense will be ELITE if healthy. If we start scoring points in bunches, or at least drive the ball and win the field position game our defense will instantly look better as well. Rod will be more able/willing to take chances and be aggressive.

No screwing around at #4... just get a stud that is a day 1 impact (big impact) player for our football team. I don't care what position he plays!
PooDoo
AG
I agree, I think he'll be better than Le'veon Bell in 2 years. I'd hope they don't have to take him at 4 but he's going to be great.

Get to know Elliott:
ESPN E:60

Game Video:
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/ezekiel-elliott/#player-vids

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I agree, I think he'll be better than Le'veon Bell in 2 years. I'd hope they don't have to take him at 4 but he's going to be great.

At this point if they are determined to not take a RB at #4 and Ramsey is gone, I think I'd be pissed if they went with Bosa over say Goff. If we can't get an immediate impact player get the future QB. I'd say the odds are pretty good that Goff will develop into a decent QB if he's allowed to sit behind Romo 1-2 years. If it goes our way he develops into a franchise QB.

I think it would be a waste to just get an OK / good player at #4 when you could have rolled the dice on the future franchise QB. It's worth the risk IMO.
DannyDuberstein
AG
100% agree
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

At this point if they are determined to not take a RB at #4 and Ramsey is gone, I think I'd be pissed if they went with Bosa over say Goff. If we can't get an immediate impact player get the future QB. I'd say the odds are pretty good that Goff will develop into a decent QB if he's allowed to sit behind Romo 1-2 years. If it goes our way he develops into a franchise QB.

I think it would be a waste to just get an OK / good player at #4 when you could have rolled the dice on the future franchise QB. It's worth the risk IMO.

I also think Goff has been a bit lost in the mix because everyone is so giddy with the 'toolsy' Lynch and Wentz.
corleoneAg99
AG
Eh...id disagree. Goff and Wentz are the clear 1 and 2 according to every scouting service. Lynch is pretty much universally seen as a late 1 or 2 guy.

Interesting note from Jeremiah; Hue Jackson is personal friends with Goffs parents. Still a debate about who they'd take but very possible it's all smoke and they pass all together on QB.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Eh...id disagree. Goff and Wentz are the clear 1 and 2 according to every scouting service. Lynch is pretty much universally seen as a late 1 or 2 guy.

Interesting note from Jeremiah; Hue Jackson is personal friends with Goffs parents. Still a debate about who they'd take but very possible it's all smoke and they pass all together on QB.

If both QBs are there at #4, I'd wet my pants.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:

If both QBs are there at #4, I'd wet my pants.
If both QB's are there at 4 you have to seriously look at a trade back as well...
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
If both QB's are there at 4 you have to seriously look at a trade back as well...
It would be a fine move because if Cleveland passes on QB then Ramsey is definitely off the board before #4.

If both QBs are there at #4 San Fran might be the most likely trade partner. Assuming Dallas really doesn't want a QB then San Fran will start squirming because their Top QB will be there waiting for them and picks 4-6 are all likely to trade down if any other team wants to jump up for a QB.

According to the draft value chart, SF would be "overpaying" if they gave us their 2nd rounder to make the deal. I'd be fine with getting #7 and their 2nd rounder (#6) and giving them #4 and our 4th round pick (we'd still have our compensatory pick at the end of the 4th round).
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
It would be a fine move because if Cleveland passes on QB then Ramsey is definitely off the board before #4.

If both QBs are there at #4 San Fran might be the most likely trade partner. Assuming Dallas really doesn't want a QB then San Fran will start squirming because their Top QB will be there waiting for them and picks 4-6 are all likely to trade down if any other team wants to jump up for a QB.

According to the draft value chart, SF would be "overpaying" if they gave us their 2nd rounder to make the deal. I'd be fine with getting #7 and their 2nd rounder (#6) and giving them #4 and our 4th round pick (we'd still have our compensatory pick at the end of the 4th round).
Exactly, then you take Zeke lower, yet ahead of NFC East foes.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm not sure if/when the official word is given, but so far so good with reports on Jack's knee... He is climbing mock drafts very quick.

I only know a little about him, but people say he is top 3 talent in this draft if he gets the official all clear on the knee. At least it's another option besides Bosa.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
I'm not sure if/when the official word is given, but so far so good with reports on Jack's knee... He is climbing mock drafts very quick.

I only know a little about him, but people say he is top 3 talent in this draft if he gets the official all clear on the knee. At least it's another option besides Bosa.

And I keep seeing he fits a very particular role in a 4-3, being confined to WILL. Meh. Dunno. He's a rare combo with his speed though.
jr15aggie
AG
I hear you. I think that's why most of us are focusing more on Ramsey... He plugs a more obvious hole for our team.

I think I'll be happy with the pick either way... Even Bosa will make this team better. But we haven't drafted this high since before or super bowls in the 90s. Will we get a multi pro bowler / hall of fame type or get Russell Maryland (just a solid player).
Reginald Cousins
S
That's why I think Ramsey (although it's kind of a waste depending on who you spin up to corner), Zeke, or Tunsil if things go wild are the only acceptable picks to help right now. If for the future, I'm really all in on Wentz, not Goff.
jr15aggie
AG
Tunsil would be a WILD pick indeed if the draft shook out that way. Holy cow, we would literally have an o-line completely full of 1st rounders (with an * because Collins is only a 1st rounder in spirit).

But considering our o-line, I think most would agree that would be more of a waste than the Zeke pick.
Disco Stu
AG
I am just not buying that they are not looking at QBs, I think it is a smokescreen.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I am just not buying that they are not looking at QBs, I think it is a smokescreen.
Agreed. I think I already posted this earlier, but I think SD at #3 is a trade risk for somebody to jump Dallas. For example if Wentz is off the board and Dallas wants Goff, somebody like SF could very well trade with SD to get him before Dallas.

Point is, obviously there is no reason for Dallas to tip their hand, but I'd agree that QBs are definitely not off the board, it's just a question of how high on their board are Wentz & Goff.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Agreed. I think I already posted this earlier, but I think SD at #3 is a trade risk for somebody to jump Dallas. For example if Wentz is off the board and Dallas wants Goff, somebody like SF could very well trade with SD to get him before Dallas.

Point is, obviously there is no reason for Dallas to tip their hand, but I'd agree that QBs are definitely not off the board, it's just a question of how high on their board are Wentz & Goff.

It hasn't caught on nationally, but there is a sizable local media contingent that believe the theory that Dallas is trying to convince everyone that they won't take a quarterback in order to prevent others from trading up.
PooDoo
AG
I don't see it that way. If the room likes a QB enough to take him at #4 I think Jerry would be trying to, at least, trade up to #2.

It wouldn't cost a ton and Jerry would get to be the belle of the ball on draft day.Can you imagine the attention he'd get now that they only have one round on day one? I bet he'd skip being in the war room and be at the draft to walk the pick up to the podium himself.
Disco Stu
AG
I think it is likely they stay a #4 and end up trading back up into the end of the first from their spot in the second round.
Agnzona
If you are win now mode there is no point in drafting a QB. If you draft a QB in round one might as well package Romo for a few picks too
BassCowboy33
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/04/08/mosley-jerry-still-downplays-talk-taking-qb-first-round-actions-say-otherwise?f=r

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.