****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,453 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
TheCougarHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kinda hoping we get zeke now. Dude is a special talent. There is a lot of talk now about running backs being a dime a dozen but an elite running back is a huge difference maker
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
Broaddus has Zeke #2 on his board. Jack is number one (he didn't drop him because of the injury but acknowledges he won't go high because of it).

Not that I needed convincing to take Zeke, but dang! High praise for sure. Interestingly enough his top rated QB is lynch.

One of those interesting scenarios people mention is the idea of Dallas trading down in the first to the 7-11 range, then trading back in to first round of Lynch is still on the board after 20. Food for thought.

Id be surprised to see Dallas take a QB now with one of those higher picks. I get the feeling of they were gona draft one it woulda been Goff or Wentz. Or maybe one late. Otherwise i think they fill out other areas.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Kinda hoping we get zeke now. Dude is a special talent. There is a lot of talk now about running backs being a dime a dozen but an elite running back is a huge difference maker

Unless we get a great offer to move down I'm also on the zeke bandwagon at #4.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
Broaddus has Zeke #2 on his board. Jack is number one (he didn't drop him because of the injury but acknowledges he won't go high because of it).

Not that I needed convincing to take Zeke, but dang! High praise for sure. Interestingly enough his top rated QB is lynch.

One of those interesting scenarios people mention is the idea of Dallas trading down in the first to the 7-11 range, then trading back in to first round of Lynch is still on the board after 20. Food for thought.

Id be surprised to see Dallas take a QB now with one of those higher picks. I get the feeling of they were gona draft one it woulda been Goff or Wentz. Or maybe one late. Otherwise i think they fill out other areas.

It's all wishful thinking. Odds are high that it's Ramsey or Bosa. My completely random guess would be 60% Ramsey, 30% Bosa, 10% Other.
jr15aggie
AG
Welcome to the dark side of Zeke! Lol... Who knows what Jerry and crew are really thinking though. I gotta think that Jerry at least remembers the 90s and what a complete RB and zealous WR meant to this team.

I don't know what this team really needs... But I know when you are drafting #4 you need to get a difference maker. And right now the only one I see filling that role is a RB.
corleoneAg99
AG
Elliot<Gurley. Top 5 picks especially need to be need AND value.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

I disagree... Elliot > Gurley
corleoneAg99
AG
Cool. Most if not all scouting reports disagree with you.

Look forward to finding out.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

I'd go with Gurley as well. I think he has the possibility to break what's become the "running back barrier", which basically states that a running back's career goes sharply downhill after age 27. He has the physical size and attributes to do this, but so have others. It's a hard compare right now, though, because Elliott hasn't played a down in the NFL. For all the college stats he's put up, we don't know if he will cut it. Many better college backs have collapsed at the NFL level and even Gurley needs to sustain his production for several more years to get off that block.

I really hope people appreciate what Adrian Peterson is doing, because it might be a long time before we see it again. The day and age of the one back backfield is dying and it'll probably go with him. In a way, it's the opposite of how Emmitt did the same thing.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think Elliott has the top gear in the speed department that Gurley has. Hard to tell who will be better but behind our OL my money would be on Elliott.

They have a chance at having a real Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith rivalry. I'm just glad the Giants didn't take Gurley at 9. Could you imagine Gurley and Beckham?
corleoneAg99
AG
Top yards per attempt teams in 15 were BUF and TB at 4.8.

Dallas?

5th at 4.6.

With a dog**** QB situation and a average D.

But yeah, first round pick should probably be a RB.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Top yards per attempt teams in 15 were BUF and TB at 4.8.

Dallas?

5th at 4.6.

With a dog**** QB situation and a average D.

But yeah, first round pick should probably be a RB.

Yeah... But with Zeke we'll have eleventy yards per carry!
corleoneAg99
RedlineAg08
Makes no sense to go RB. If we wanted a RB that amazing we would have paid Demarco. We saw what it was like in the 90s when we had Dez and Demarco and we said no thx, picked up a washed up RB, started him half a year and finished 4th in rushing.

And if we went Elliot and then traded back up for Lynch then Im done with the cowboys.
gigem1223
Those against the Zeke pick. Other than Dez who is a playmaker in this offense? Witten? Maybe 3-4 years ago? DMC? T-Will? We need another playmaker. Someone that dictates a defense.

There's more to the RB position than ypc. Picking up the blitz, running routes out of the backfield and catching the ball, creating mismatches with LBs and bringing a safety into the box opening up the passing game. All of which Zeke excels at. You're kidding yourself if you think the run game last season was even close to that of the year before, or that DMC/ Morris are close to the back Zeke has the potential to be. I'm on board with Zeke if they feel he's their guy. He is the one pick that would improve this team from day one IMO.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Those against the Zeke pick. Other than Dez who is a playmaker in this offense? Witten? Maybe 3-4 years ago? DMC? T-Will? We need another playmaker. Someone that dictates a defense.

There's more to the RB position than ypc. Picking up the blitz, running routes out of the backfield and catching the ball, creating mismatches with LBs and bringing a safety into the box opening up the passing game. All of which Zeke excels at. You're kidding yourself if you think the run game last season was even close to that of the year before, or that DMC/ Morris are close to the back Zeke has the potential to be. I'm on board with Zeke if they feel he's their guy. He is the one pick that would improve this team from day one IMO.

The key in that phrase is "potential". What's happening here on this board right now is the same thing that happens with quarterbacks from year-to-year. We have a running back, who would go late first round in last year's running back heavy draft, being hyped up. Even so, most peeps have him going between 12-22. You have to really try hard to talk yourself into this guy at #4.

You can get away with that at QB, because, frankly, it's the most important position on the field and the hardest to evaluate. It's the Holy Grail of pro football. But, this is running back we are talking about. It's arguably become the least valuable offensive position in the game. It's pretty much a plug-and-play position. As some mentioned before, in modern football, you don't take a back at #4 unless it's the second coming of Adrian Peterson.
corleoneAg99
AG
Being against the Zeke pick isn't being against a RB pick.

Do what most teams do, get a RB later, and address a premium position in the first.

I swear fantasy football is the cause for this nonsense.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nice to have a quality running game, which they do. But a great one has becone a nice-to-have that appears to be unnecesary and irrelevant to winning a title.
jr15aggie
AG
I sorta disagree on the Murray comment. They valued him and the position... they were willing to pay him well, but not Philly crazy money so he left (didn't blame him either). They Cowboys also knew Murray was just a pretty good back until we got a dominate O-line and then he became something else. Injury history and his age played a part in not re-signing either. But I believe they knew exactly how important RB was to that offense.

My argument isn't necessarily for a RB though, but it's getting a difference maker with #4 if you can. Ramsey scares me (although I'd be fine with the pick on draft day) and Bosa will be a fine player I'm sure, but I' just don't want to listen to all the clueless fans for the next 5 years talking about "wasted pick" because he only gets ~8 sacks a year.

For a few weeks now I've felt if we were stuck at #4 I'd be fine with a QB or Zeke. QBs are gone so I'm taking my man. I'd love to trade down and get him (or somebody else if he's gone)... but if nobody wants to dance and we gotta pick I'm getting a #4 caliber player... the question is who do the Cowboys think is that guy?
RedlineAg08
Unless he's AP, he's not worth #4... There are a lot of really good football players in this draft that we'd be passivg on for what MAY be a marginal upgrade at RB (the least valuable offensive position).

And he's not AP. Todd Gurley drew AP comparisons and went 10. No one is saying this guy could be AP
BassCowboy33
Also, let's make something clear. I think Elliott is a very good back. If Dallas wants to drop to get him, I'm fine with that.
Ryan34
AG
My wild ass guess is either Bosa or Buckner.
Macarthur
Back to the QB thing a few posts ago. Broaddus has been a big fan of lynch for some time. He needs to sit for a bit but his arm talent is superior to goff and Wentz and he pretty athletic. I think it would be awesome if they got a little trade down and got zeke at maybe 8 or so and had the ammo to com back at 18 or so and get lynch.
Macarthur
This was from PFF

Accuracy percentage under pressure in 2015:

Paxton Lynch (Memphis): 70.3%
Jared Goff (Cal): 64.7%
Carson Wentz (North Dakota State): 54.7%
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

You realize Buckner is a 3-4 DE right? He'd probably have to move inside to DT for us. Another example of a really good player, but not somebody you are really excited about at #4.

And Lynch has me more intrigued every day the more I hear. And Wentz continues to fall. No guarantee Lynch isn't gone at #2 to Philly. And if not no guarantee the Cowboys won't take him at #4. And if they don't want him, SF just might trade up for him. I think Philly, Dallas, SF make a lot of sense for Lynch because he won't have to play right away. Definitely a chance he is who Philly traded up for.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
quote:

You realize Buckner is a 3-4 DE right? He'd probably have to move inside to DT for us. Another example of a really good player, but not somebody you are really excited about at #4.

It's all relative. Seattle runs a 4-3 and has used DTs at SDE. I think Buckner is a guy who can play some DE despite primarily being an inside guy on a 4-3 team. He's a good player with great physical traits. Dallas could do worse.
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:

And Lynch has me more intrigued every day the more I hear. And Wentz continues to fall. No guarantee Lynch isn't gone at #2 to Philly. And if not no guarantee the Cowboys won't take him at #4. And if they don't want him, SF just might trade up for him. I think Philly, Dallas, SF make a lot of sense for Lynch because he won't have to play right away. Definitely a chance he is who Philly traded up for.

I guarantee neither the Eagles nor Cowboys take lynch at 2 & 4
PooDoo
AG
I like Lynch but don't trust his facial hair enough to draft him at 4.
TyHolden
AG
Bo Calahan looks great but nobody went to his 21st birthday so I'm thinking he's not well liked. Go with Vontae.
TheCougarHunter
AG
NFL mock draft live has Zeke going to the Cowboys...for what it's worth
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Bo Calahan looks great but nobody went to his 21st birthday so I'm thinking he's not well liked. Go with Vontae.

Underrated post.

And they did go with Vontae... And then they got a RB. Translation... Zeke to Dallas!
Ag Natural
AG
Gurley was coming off a reconstructed knee. If he wouldn't have been hurt he was easily a top 5 pick.

All of you whining about "getting value" at the #4 pick. Last time I checked, playmakers win games. So unless you see a Von Miller sitting there I don't see how anyone could argue that Zeke isn't the best playmaker available. Sure, if the rest of the league is also "too smart" to take a RB that high then try like hell to trade down a spot or two and still get him.

Back in they day when Jimmy picked Emmit he didn't do it because they needed RB. They did it because he was by far the highest rated guy on the board. I know it was later in the first round but the same principle applies. Get the best player and piss on the "value" snobs. The Boys did that with Frederick and that looks pretty good so I have hope.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Gurley was coming off a reconstructed knee. If he wouldn't have been hurt he was easily a top 5 pick.

All of you whining about "getting value" at the #4 pick. Last time I checked, playmakers win games. So unless you see a Von Miller sitting there I don't see how anyone could argue that Zeke isn't the best playmaker available. Sure, if the rest of the league is also "too smart" to take a RB that high then try like hell to trade down a spot or two and still get him.

Back in they day when Jimmy picked Emmit he didn't do it because they needed RB. They did it because he was by far the highest rated guy on the board. I know it was later in the first round but the same principle applies. Get the best player and piss on the "value" snobs. The Boys did that with Frederick and that looks pretty good so I have hope.

If I remember the story correctly, Emmitt wasn't the highest initial player on their board. Dallas was trying to get a linebacker whose name eludes me, but I believe he was taken a pick or two before Dallas. Dallas had traded Walker in '89 and was beyond desperate at the running back situation. Again, going off memory here, but Dallas' other options were Alonzo Highsmith and Tommy Agee. It was an extremely high priority, but Jimmy, by his own admission, wasn't super high on Emmitt based on his diminutive size.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Dallas was trying to get a linebacker whose name eludes me,
James Francis outa Baylor.

Emmitt was also considered slow by a few people and I remember reading that a few teams had him pegged as low as late 1st and early 2nd.

Jimmy obviously was great for the organization and revived the damn thing, but there were some instances of luck he encountered too. Francis being taken a few picks before (yes, Jimmy wanted him more than anyone at that point in the draft even over Emmitt) , dealing with a Vikings organization that was just asking to be raped (Herschel Walker deal) , and Charles Haley being unhappy in San Fran and doing all sorts of erratic stuff to force his way out and into Jerry's open arms come to mind first.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, it's always fun/important to remember around draft time how lucky Jimmy got back in the day... he didn't have all these college prospects figured out either, sometimes great players fell in his lap and he made the most with them.

The Emmitt story is a great one... the word is Jimmy was ticked off when, I believe it was Cincy, that traded in front of them to get the LB he really wanted. When their pick came the settled for that RB from Florida!

One of my favorite stories was about Larry Brown... it's in the 12th round and Jimmy is leaving letting the scouts pick the last players. Jimmy is walking out the door when one of the scouts says, "hey Jimmy, our pick is up, do you want a say in who we get?" Jimmy quickly glanced at the list of players that were being targeted and said, "Get that kid from TCU... we won't even have to pay for a plane ticket to get him here or a plane ticket home after we cut him!". LOL... that's one way to get a starting CB who eventually becomes Super Bowl MVP!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.