****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,013 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Toby Gerhart is the opposite of McCaffrey. McCaffrey is fast, agile, and bad to the bone. Toby was a ground and pounder like Mike Alstott.

Whatever it's the next day, I won't complain anymore about how upset I am about EE. But jerry is a cockhead...

Now, let's go EE! You better ****in carry us to the SB...

2nd Round: If Reed is there they better ****ing draft him.

Reports that they tried to trade up for Lynch make me sick that we may go after Conner Cook in the 2nd. I'm not a Cook hater, but we MUST get a defensive lineman here.

After hearing Klatt's review of him, I'm much higher now than I was a few weeks back.
TyHolden
AG

not talking physical qualities. i know their different runners. i'm talking competition and the system they are in. it's a moot point.
BassCowboy33
quote:

not talking physical qualities. i know their different runners. i'm talking competition and the system they are in. it's a moot point.

My bad. I thought you were saying that they're comparable since they played against the same competition.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
If Elliott is all pro over the next 4 years & helps Cowboys compete for super bowl, he was worth the pick. Complaining about not resigning someone that won't be a free agent until 2021 is a tad premature.

On a different note:

This really makes me nervous they reach for Cook or Hackenburg with their 2nd rounder. Hoping they just really really liked Lynch.
BMX Bandit
I'm a Cook fan, but don't want Cowboys taking him in 2nd. With Elliott pick, must get defense
Reginald Cousins
S
It was good, yes. Pales in comparison to Sanders if you want to look at rushers.
birdman
If you pick Elliott, you have announced that you are trying to win in next couple of years.

That means you can't pick a quarterback to groom over several years. You gotta pick defensive players that play for you tomorrow, if you keep the same approach.

Maybe Dallas thought Lynch was unbelievable talent that was worth the gamble. Obviously, several other teams agreed with them. However, nobody is dying to get the other quarterbacks. They are middle of the road.
Ag Natural
AG
So picking a RB early is only justified if he ends up being a multi year probowler and leads the team to a SB. Jeez, so what would have justified a Bosa or Ramsey pick?

The way I see it, you need studs period. Zeke is a complete back like the Cowboys haven't had since Emmitt. They had him rated about the same as Ramsey and Ramsey has more questions. Sure, conventional wisdom is to avoid RBs this high but I didn't see any transformative defensive players on the board so this is the right pick in this situation.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
So picking a RB early is only justified if he ends up being a multi year probowler and leads the team to a SB. Jeez, so what would have justified a Bosa or Ramsey pick?

Exactly. Maybe if a Suh was there or something...
TyHolden
AG
quote:
quote:

Bosa is the next Jj watt. Ramsey is next Deion sanders. Both different but still the same.
jeffdjohnson
It is just disappointing that we sat through a 4-12 season to pick a running back. Running backs take some of the most violent punishment and break down faster than any other position. They are also hugely dependent upon the offensive line to open up lanes. It is difficult to separate the production of an individual running back versus the system as a whole. The NFL has figured this out in recent years. I thought the Cowboys were also in the know when they let DeMarco walk and watched Darren freaking McFadden go for over 1K yards last year.

Cowboys could have walked away with Ramsey + Spence/Jack/Robinson/Ragland and given the defense a huge shot of athleticism.
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bosa is the next Jj watt. Ramsey is next Deion sanders. Both different but still the same.
Deion could catch
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
It is just disappointing that we sat through a 4-12 season to pick a running back. Running backs take some of the most violent punishment and break down faster than any other position. They are also hugely dependent upon the offensive line to open up lanes. It is difficult to separate the production of an individual running back versus the system as a whole. The NFL has figured this out in recent years. I thought the Cowboys were also in the know when they let DeMarco walk and watched Darren freaking McFadden go for over 1K yards last year.

Cowboys could have walked away with Ramsey + Spence/Jack/Robinson/Ragland and given the defense a huge shot of athleticism.
And a stud RB who is durable and can move the chains protects Romo (Less hits while trying to pass) and helps the D by keeping them off the field (D played on avg. 12 fewer snaps 2 years ago when the went 12-4 by feeding the running game).
RedlineAg08
It's really not that hard to understand. Alfred Morris was a 6th round pick and lead the league in rushing. There are running backs that are drafted late every year that come in and put up great numbers. You plug a running back in with good vision behind a good oline and they produce.

Finding a pass rushing DE or a shutdown corner is a much harder task. Evidenced by the fact that the 4 most valuable, and highest paid positions in the league are QB, LT, CB, DE.
corleoneAg99
AG
Jerry gonna Jerry. Like clockwork.

See no reason not to take Jack in the second if this is how they value players.

Glory hole!
jeffdjohnson
I'm just hoping there isn't some stud punter that Jerry has his eye on in the second round.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I'm just hoping there isn't some stud punter that Jerry has his eye on in the second round.

What if its Kaser? I bet you will be torn then!
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

You seriously believe this? I guess what I'm saying is Suh was a known commodity. If you think the above quote by yourself is accurate and these guys are surefire hall of famers... wow.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Ok can we move on from the EE talk? Any chatter of who they're hoping to land in the 2nd?
RedlineAg08
I can move on if the EE pumpers will too.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
If Elliott is all pro over the next 4 years & helps Cowboys compete for super bowl, he was worth the pick. Complaining about not resigning someone that won't be a free agent until 2021 is a tad premature.

On a different note:

This really makes me nervous they reach for Cook or Hackenburg with their 2nd rounder. Hoping they just really really liked Lynch.

Taking Hackensuck with a 7th round pick would still be a reach. It's unfathomable that teams can watch his game tape or combine and think he's a starting FBS quarterback, let alone an NFL one. With all our QB problems last year, Hubenak is still a better pro prospect than Hackensuck.

The only way drafting him justifiable is if you draft him and sit him on the bench until his death, so that no sports fan has the unfortunate experience of ever having to see him throw a pass.
Reginald Cousins
S
I want... Alexander, Spence, Ragland... #ontosecondroundtalk #innoparticularorder

ETA: Really like Jack, but just don't know about the risk there... it's a when and not if...

Like Jaylon Smith if we can get him later... a lot of pundits say he's got a better shot at recovery and future use vs. the unknown with Jack.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Alexander on tape has been phenomenal going back to high school. One td given up in 5 yrs?? Are you kidding me. I dont care what his sparq is, dude had been a shut down baller. He obviously goes next level when the pads come on.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

On a different note:

Taking Hackensuck with a 7th round pick would still be a reach. It's unfathomable that teams can watch his game tape or combine and think he's a starting FBS quarterback, let alone an NFL one. With all our QB problems last year, Hubenak is still a better pro prospect than Hackensuck.

The only way drafting him justifiable is if you draft him and sit him on the bench until his death, so that no sports fan has the unfortunate experience of ever having to see him throw a pass.

I am somewhat praying for Hackenberg just for the meltdown that will ensue upon Jerrah. Then watch the hack be all-pro when toni goes out after game 5.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Alexander on tape has been phenomenal going back to high school. One td given up in 5 yrs?? Are you kidding me. I dont care what his sparq is, dude had been a shut down baller. He obviously goes next level when the pads come on.
Only knocks I find on him from scouts are:

A) Has trouble with tall guys - he's 5'10" or 5'11"
B) Doesn't pick off the ball.

Other than that as a pure corner a lot of guys say he's the best... mirrors receivers perfectly, held opposing attempts to ~49 QBR in 2015... I think he's an island guy when not facing 6'3"+.

Conclusion: TAKE.
RedlineAg08
I'd be good with Alexander
DannyDuberstein
AG
They've already got a LB and DE group full of injury risks and drug questions. I just don't see how you can take either risk in this draft. They need healthy, clean players with every pick. Just can't see Jack.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

On a different note:

I am somewhat praying for Hackenberg just for the meltdown that will ensue upon Jerrah. Then watch the hack be all-pro when toni goes out after game 5.

I'll say this. Nobody throws a more beautiful incompletion or takes more regal sacks than Hackenberg. If it's late in the game, the guy is the best there is at a quick three-and-out, so that you're not stuck on the edge of your seat. He'll also sprinkle in some amazing untimely turnovers to keep fans guessing.

You forgot to mention Kellen Moore would have to get hurt before Hackensuck plays.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nice. Hackenberg just seems like a classic case of teams falling in love with what a NFL QB should look like vs what one should play like.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
On Alexander (and those w stars can vouch ) coming outa high school hes probably the recruit ive wanted more than any other ever in A&M history. His high school film was just so ridiculous. I had a bit of an obsession with the dude. Glad he lived up to the hype.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Any of you hear Hackenburgs interview w Gottlieb yesterday? He really just does not seem very sharp at all. Very unimpressive.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
On Alexander (and those w stars can vouch ) coming outa high school hes probably the recruit ive wanted more than any other ever in A&M history. His high school film was just so ridiculous. I had a bit of an obsession with the dude. Glad he lived up to the hype.
Agristotle
AG
Robinson would be great, grown man ready to contribute day one. If not, Dodds or Alexander.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah I don't think we can take a chance on Jack either. But I would probably be ok with taking a chance on Spence.

I don't think we have to worry about a QB like Hack. I think they just really liked Lynch and they valued a QB much more in the first because 1st rounders have that 5th year option.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Spence, Dodd, or Alexander FTMFW

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.