****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

206,982 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
All of you whining about "getting value" at the #4 pick. Last time I checked, playmakers win games. So unless you see a Von Miller sitting there I don't see how anyone could argue that Zeke isn't the best playmaker available. Sure, if the rest of the league is also "too smart" to take a RB that high then try like hell to trade down a spot or two and still get him.

Good kickers win games just as much as anyone else, but you don't see anyone taking them in the top 5. The modern NFL is a passing league. QB, WR, OT and sometimes TE are premium positions. RB just isn't anymore. The rule is cheap and deep unless you have a once in a generation talent like Peterson.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
Jerry, Stephen, and Jason just had their pre-draft press conference. Jerry is really losing it. It was hard to decipher what he was saying. Some points of emphasis:

- Doesn't think there will be a trade and have received minimal interest for the #4 pick.

- Dallas doesn't view quarterback as a serious need in this draft. Team does not want to spend a pick on someone on the bench who couldn't come in and help immediately.

- Addressed Bosa's character issues and said that his issues will not be a deciding factor in the draft. (I must have missed his issues?)

- With McFadden, Morris, and Dunbar, team doesn't think they need a running back. If taken, would like the back to be able to play special teams. Also said that the team hasn't ruled out a running back at some point in the draft.

- Team is interested in a backup quarterback, but not in developing a replacement for Romo at this time. That will be addressed in future drafts. Team is still considering a veteran backup option.

- Love Ramsey. A guy who leaps off the tape and can play numerous positions on the field in zone, man, or blitzing. Feel that Ramsey's lack of INTs was because teams refused to throw his way. Compared his tape to Deion Sanders.

- Believe the team is closer to 12-4 than 4-12.

- The most underrated loss last season was Dunbar. He was the team's best offensive player until his injury.

- Depth in the draft plays a huge role in who you draft. Depth positions like DL, RB, and T make a difference on who you draft and urgency with which you draft.
PooDoo
AG
There aren't any kickers in this draft that we know are better than the one we have....

I'm not even totally sure there are any LB's, DT's, CB's, or DE's better than what we have starting. I know there is a running back WAY better than what we have and right up there with the top RB's in the last 10 years.

This year doesn't really seem like there is much separating the players in the picks 10-96. Trade back and pick up an extra pick in the top 96 & take Elliott.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
- Doesn't think there will be a trade and have received minimal interest for the #4 pick.
is this something you wana go public with?

if they end up taking Elliott then its obviously hindsight but the Butler's money coulda been used on a much needed defender instead.
BassCowboy33
I think taking Elliott is talked about quite a bit more on this board than in the Cowboys front office. If not, it's the greatest smokescreen in Jerry's tenure.
jr15aggie
AG
I definitely haven't heard anything to make me think Elliot is a priority for them... I just personally really like him.

All signs point towards Ramsey with the only problem being SD just might take him! A couple weeks ago I said they would be running to the podium if Tunsil was there... now I'm hearing stuff that they think they are fine with what they got at OT. All smoke & mirrors I know. I've heard some people say if Tunsil is there at 4 there will be somebody interested in trading up for him.

If Ramsey is the Cowboys #1 target then I hope he's there at #4 and we take him (and I hope we allow him to play safety if he struggles at CB).
RedlineAg08
Doesnt make sense to me for SD to pick Ramsey... They had Weddle and ginished good enough for the 3rd pick. Lose Weddle, draft Ramsey and expect to get better? Phillip Rivers doesnt have much time left
ramblin_ag02
AG

quote:
There aren't any kickers in this draft that we know is better than the one we have....

I'm not even totally sure there are any LB's, DT's, CB's, or DE's better than what we have starting. I know there is a running back WAY better than what we have and right up there with the top RB's in the last 10 years.

To be fair, no one knows that any college player is better than any NFL starter until it is too late. Even a #1 overall, highest graded prospect can be a bust at any position. You never know until they step on the field.

Also, for all that Elliot has "great" pass-protection skills, I have never seen an NFL rookie RB that is even average in pass protection. They are typically awful. It just takes a long time to learn an entire playbook and learn how to read a defense rush. So most rookie RBs are only good on rushing downs, and those are getting rarer and rarer.

I think the idea that a rookie can put you over the hump is wishful thinking. The best positions for that are probably WR, RB and O-line, but even then there is a steep learning curve. Draft the next JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Dez Bryant, Matt Ryan, Tyron Smith, or whoever you think is going to be above average or better player for the next 10 years. Don't draft a guy just cause he might help this year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Keep in mind that regardless of who they draft #1, the only difference between them having a chance of being good vs. being awful again next year is still Romo's health. So if that #1 is someone like Elliott, you are betting your season on his ability to pick up the blitz effectively. An Elliott pick is the most short-term goal pick they could make when you consider the likely life cycle of picking RB, so if his green NFL pass pro skills lead to getting Romo pounded, the whole strategy falls apart.
Ag Natural
AG
Gee, from Jerry's babbling it looks like Ramsey is the guy. I sure hope he ends up being better than I expect.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Gee, from Jerry's babbling it looks like Ramsey is the guy. I sure hope he ends up being better than I expect.

To be fair, Jason and Stephen talked a lot as well, although they both made sense.
jr15aggie
AG
I think it's becoming more clear with all the trades, etc. I'm pretty sure this is what they are thinking.

1. Ramsey
2. Elliott

I don't think we pick anybody else at #4... so we are essentially waiting on SD. The good news is the only thing they have to figure out is 2 guys they are OK with because after that it won't matter what SD does. I'm pretty sure those are the 2 guys.

I don't think we trade. I don't think they value Bosa or the other DE's enough to lose either guy. I think we are gonna stand still and make our pick. I'm not quite ready to make my official pre-draft prediction, but Ramsey is our guy if he doesn't go #3 (and yes, I'll pour one out for my lost Zeke!).
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
Keep in mind that regardless of who they draft #1, the only difference between them having a chance of being good vs. being awful again next year is still Romo's health. So if that #1 is someone like Elliott, you are betting your season on his ability to pick up the blitz effectively. An Elliott pick is the most short-term goal pick they could make when you consider the likely life cycle of picking RB, so if his green NFL pass pro skills lead to getting Romo pounded, the whole strategy falls apart.
I don't want Zeke, but from all I've heard he is by far the best pass blocking back in the draft.
Southlake
Wow, Jerry sounded a bit senile at the presser today. Totally contradicted Garrett when Garrett said the Cowboys only wanted "Character" players and Jerry said regardless of their character, the players draft status wouldn't be affected. I think he was mainly referring to Bosa but he was really out there; I could hear Garrett and Steven wincing on the radio!!
birdman
You can't find a defensive lineman in draft that is better than guys Dallas played last year?

I don't think you are looking very hard.
gigem1223
Brandon Carr taking a pay cut

http://nfltraderumors.co/cowboys-cb/
PooDoo
AG
quote:
You can't find a defensive lineman in draft that is better than guys Dallas played last year?

I don't think you are looking very hard.

Going by the whole roster sure... Starters no.

Is Bosa better than Lawrence or Gregory? Is Buckner better than Crawford?

Maybe eventually but Im not totally sure.

jr15aggie
AG
It's a fair argument. DE is a lot like WR in that even high end rookies don't always produce that much year 1. Even Ware had some growing pains.

I too had my doubts any of these DE would start a majority of next year's games. Yes they would help the team and yes a couple of them might turn into a really good player.
RedlineAg08
Bosa and Shaq Lawson are better than any DE we have on the roster.
gigem1223
I heard a stat on the radio today. DEs taken with a top 10 pick average just over 2 sacks a year their first season. Bosa may be more NFL ready initially than Gregory or Lawrence, but IMO both will have better careers than Bosa.
TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
Bosa and Shaq Lawson are better than any DE we have on the roster.

What makes you say that

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Watch them pick someone none of us are discussing. Like Buckner or Hargreaves (if Ramsey gone )
RedlineAg08
Lawson is my personal favorite. Dude was unblockable in college. Even Cam Robinson struggled and Lawson had a bad MCL in that game I believe.

But Bosa is just as good or better.

Both are day 1 contributors. Great size and strength with great motors. It'll be a shame if either ends up in as 3-4 OLB. They need to go to a 4-3.

We have a developing Lawerence thats starting to turn it on and an undersized project in Gregory. He may work out, he may never put on the size needed.

I know the Cowboys want to build from the inside out and believe in the same philosophy, but I also really like the idea that was floated out there a while back that they want to build the secondary like they build the oline with it being a passing league. Scandrick may not be the same guy, and even if so he's best as a shut down slot cb.
gigem1223
I think it may be a little unrealistic to expect a rookie DL to contribute day one. There are only 3 DL rookies in the last several years I can think of that did. Suh, Smith and Donald.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
I think it may be a little unrealistic to expect a rookie DL to contribute day one. There are only 3 DL rookies in the last several years I can think of that did. Suh, Smith and Donald.

Either your memory isn't very good or your definition of "contributing" is awfully high.
gigem1223
I guess I should clarify. By contributing, I mean making plays/ being a factor like you would expect a top 5 pick to do. Please feel free to throw some names out there if I'm not remembering correctly.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
I guess I should clarify. By contributing, I mean making plays/ being a factor like you would expect a top 5 pick to do. Please feel free to throw some names out there if I'm not remembering correctly.

What type of plays are you talking about? Sacks only? Starting? Ziggy Ansah had 8 sacks as a rookie, which would have tied Dallas' team leader last year. Many, many more have had 4+, a number only 4 Cowboys met last year. Only 5 teams had fewer sacks than Dallas.

Dallas allowed the 3rd fewest first downs through the air. But the 2nd most first downs allowed on the ground. They couldn't force teams to throw the ball. They had the 2nd fewest pass attempts against.

I know most on here seem to think Ramsey, but IMO the need is front 7. Someone like Bosa or Buckner who helps against the run and as a pass rusher.
TheWoodsAg
AG
quote:

JJ Watt?
RedlineAg08
Ryan pretty much said what I was hoing to say.. We dont need a pro bowler to "make a difference." There are quite a few guys that have come in and done better than what we had last year. That's contributing.

And both of those guys (Bosa and Lawson) would improve our run defense as well as pass rush.

And I like Buckner too. I just dont like him in the 4-3 unless he takes Crawfords position and thats a waste imo.
jr15aggie
AG
Pretty sure we don't have to worry about it... Cowboys aren't going DE at #4. It's coming down to Zeke & Ramsey. Not sure which one they have higher, but if both are there I think they will consider a DB more of a priority than a RB and Ramsey will be the pick. The only way it's Zeke is if they have him ranked that much higher than Ramsey and they go with their #1 player.

Garrett said in the presser that they felt Ramsey was equally as talented at safety and CB. That was really my only question cause I don't think they would prefer to draft a pure safety at #4, but if they truly believe this guy will be a special CB it's an easy pick.
BassCowboy33
David Moore was just on The Ticket saying that Dallas is just salivating over Ramsey. Says the team feels that having the NFL's 4th leading rusher despite only starting 9 games, leaves them feeling like they have the position covered. He also mentioned that Dallas views NEXT YEAR'S draft as the one to get a running back as it'll be the best draft for running backs in the last decade.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Pretty sure we don't have to worry about it... Cowboys aren't going DE at #4. It's coming down to Zeke & Ramsey. Not sure which one they have higher, but if both are there I think they will consider a DB more of a priority than a RB and Ramsey will be the pick. The only way it's Zeke is if they have him ranked that much higher than Ramsey and they go with their #1 player.

Garrett said in the presser that they felt Ramsey was equally as talented at safety and CB. That was really my only question cause I don't think they would prefer to draft a pure safety at #4, but if they truly believe this guy will be a special CB it's an easy pick.

Garrett did everything but drop to his knees when talking about Ramsey.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Garrett did everything but drop to his knees when talking about Ramsey.

LOL. But he did it with class!!!

But no, I think the sources are right... Ramsey is their #1. There's just no guarantee SD isn't going to take him. No idea why they would pass up protecting River's blind side, but they might.

Unfortunately the only way we see Zeke with a star is if Ramsey goes 3. And it's probably the right pick, going defense, but I just think Zeke would molest opposing defenses with our O-line and Romo at QB! Knock on wood, but I just have a bad feeling going into next year with the 3 RBs we got (from the standpoint of injury and lack of production in previous years).
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Ryan pretty much said what I was hoing to say.. We dont need a pro bowler to "make a difference." There are quite a few guys that have come in and done better than what we had last year. That's contributing.

And both of those guys (Bosa and Lawson) would improve our run defense as well as pass rush.

And I like Buckner too. I just dont like him in the 4-3 unless he takes Crawfords position and thats a waste imo.
I think we all agree we need those guys... But those can be found rounds 1-4. The issue is I'd like to hit a homerun at #4 and not just get a single.
RedlineAg08
Found in rounds 2-4... Hell i bet we can find a contributor on the DLine as an UFA. Theyre just lying around everywhere... Theyre like RBs damn near. You draft them in the 6th and they lead the league in sacks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.