****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,448 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
RedlineAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is that predraft, Todd & Kiper, gab? Because he'll start from day one and be on the field at the very least 1st and 2nd down, and probably all 3 downs for the Bills.

Who on the Cowboys would have kept him off the field given that McClain is out?
corleoneAg99
AG
Lawrence - 2 and 3

Gregory - 2

Jaylon - 2

Past few 2nd rounders have been real coups by Jerry considering the teams needs. Hell he threw in a 3rd for Lawrence. Who needs 3rd rounders?

He clearly understands this stuff.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't forget Gavin Escobar the year before Lawrence. Those 8 catches and 100 yards per season he's been averaging are irreplaceable.

64 receiving yards last year. 64 ****ing yards.
RedlineAg08
And Marty B before that, and Anthony Fasano... All while we have the best all around TE in the world in the prime of his career.
toucan82
Don't forget the 2nd round pick they gave up to get claiborne
COOL LASER FALCON
Escobar had more snaps than 6th rounder James Hanna last year. That wasn't the case in 2013 or 2014, so I'm counting it as progress
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
If we've learned anything its that the Jones family doesn't value 2nd round picks at all.
Ag Natural
AG
Hey Witten was a third rounder.

At least this time around they got an A+ character guy. I was afraid they take Noah Spence. That'd be three years in a row grabbing pass rushers with character issues.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Is that predraft, Todd & Kiper, gab? Because he'll start from day one and be on the field at the very least 1st and 2nd down, and probably all 3 downs for the Bills.

Who on the Cowboys would have kept him off the field given that McClain is out?
No, I don't really listen to what Kiper and McShay say. I follow some scouts on twitter, listen to some podcast and see what I see watching games.

Ragland is a better fit for a 3-4 defense than our Tampa 2. He's an attacking linebacker. He'll be able to play the middle and then I bet they move him out wide to rush the passer.

With us he'd be off the field when the other team bring in the 3rd WR. I might be wrong but I don't think he has the wheels or coverage ability to be a MLB cover deep in his zone. He looks a little slow and stiff. Look at him in coverage against A&M. He'll be a Bart Scott/Bradie James type LB in the 3-4... but not cut out to play the 4-3.
PooDoo
AG
La'el Collins had some personalized cleats made up... Pancake inspired.

https://instagr.am/p/BHNgxxcBqWl

jr15aggie
AG
Just came here to post this is the worst time of year for football!!!!

No news, no Talking Cowboys or any other dedicated Cowboys media... what would they talk about anyway. The only news for any team right now is bad news. Failed tests, suspensions, etc.

When does camp start?
RedlineAg08
I don't feel like there is anything really exciting to look forward to this year. We're not in the situation where we're looking to just show improvement over last year, and talk about the future being bright. We're very clearly in win-now mode with a rapidly closing window, and we shot ourselves in both feed before the season even started.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
I don't feel like there is anything really exciting to look forward to this year. We're not in the situation where we're looking to just show improvement over last year, and talk about the future being bright. We're very clearly in win-now mode with a rapidly closing window, and we shot ourselves in both feed before the season even started.

Every team is excited this time of year.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I don't feel like there is anything really exciting to look forward to this year.
Zeke, Romo, Dez, and a bad mofo offensive line!!! If all stay healthy I think there will be plenty to be excited about!

Doesn't mean we'll be built to make a deep playoff run, but it should be extremely fun to watch compared to last year.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
unless this team adds another LB or 2 (legit LBs, not JAGs), they will be a 2nd tier conference team.

their defense right now is at best a bottom third defense and bottom third defenses don't win titles in this day and age.
Reginald Cousins
S
I'm just wondering how many times you can say the same thing before you tire.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Youd be surprised
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Its just mind boggling to me how a professional outfit could ever think that LB unit was in good shape.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Its just mind boggling to me how a professional outfit could ever think that LB unit was in good shape.

Hey, I'm not arguing... I agree our LBs are in trouble. I still can't believe we threw away our 2nd pick. But this offense should be fun to watch!

But if Zeke gets hurt in preseason I might commit football suicide.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think the difference between winning 6 vs 8 games is worth offing oneself.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I don't think the difference between winning 6 vs 8 games is worth offing oneself.
I said football suicide... meaning I will go numb towards football... it will be dead to me!
PooDoo
AG
Anyone watch All or Nothing on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GF3WPU8
Silvertaps
AG
I'm working in Denver this month and have been listening to a few sport radio station. Sounds of if these radio guys are getting nervous Von and Elway won't be reaching an agreement...and they all agree if it doesn't happen, the Cowboys seems like where he'll go. That would be quite the off season gain!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Von agreed to a 6 year $114million deal.
BMX Bandit
Uh, Von was never going to the Cowboys. He was going to be in Denver no matter what.
Reginald Cousins
S
Here we go with the know-it-all-matter-of-facters.
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like we signed Justin Durant to help with our LB issues. Meh.
jr15aggie
AG
And in other exciting news, Jerry basically quoted that "nothing" is happening with Jaylon Smith's knee... but he/doctors aren't concerned because "nothing" is exactly what they expected.

LOL... remind me why donating our 2nd round pick to charity wouldn't have been a better option!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Looks like we signed Justin Durant to help with our LB issues. Meh.
i don't think this is huge by any means or anything but it helps.

i still want to see them supplement this move by adding a veteran proven guy who is a couple of levels better than Durant.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm not sure "adding depth" is the word to describe the Durant signing even though I keep hearing the local media describe it that way. It's more like "adding someone that may actually be able to play LB in September". Or as compared to the 2nd rounder, "adding someone thay may actually be able to play LB ever".
Ag Natural
AG
Durant is interesting. Two years ago Marinelli said he was the most underrated linebacker in the league and he was the defensive captain with Lee went down. Unfortunately, he seems to be hurt all the time as well. He went to ATL after the Cowboys couldn't afford to resign him. In ATL he had an injury riddled but relatively productive season (played 13 games and was second on the team in tackles).

Now he's back at age 30. Put him on the long list of guys who would be good if they stopped getting hurt.
jr15aggie
AG
Zeke #1 in Jersey sales! But I gotta admit my heart skipped a beat when I read the first words of the ESPN headline "Cowboys Rookie RB Elliott...". For a split second I just knew the next word was going to be "arrested", "injured", "out for season", etc.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17112286/dallas-cowboys-running-back-ezekiel-elliott-tops-nfl-jersey-sales
Reginald Cousins
S
And tops the list for the quarter even though he wasn't drafted til 4/28. Pretty impressive.
PooDoo
AG
But we aren't America's Team anymore... LOL.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
But we aren't America's Team anymore... LOL.
Exactly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.