****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,457 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cowboys Sour on Joey Bosa

Zierlein: Cowboys do not like Joey Bosa; likely to take Elliott, Ramsey

Apparently the Cowboys have the same opinion of Bosa as many on this board. The brass is doing an amazing job at keeping everyone guessing.
Macarthur
I've read the Chris long comparison many times. Good player but not a top 5 pick.
corleoneAg99
AG
I think it's a potentially lazy comp because he simply physically looks like Long.

Pff comps him to Michael Bennett. I've also heard Jared Allen.

I think he'll be better than Chris Long and is worthy of top 5. Guess we'll see.
PooDoo
AG
Broaddus said Jack is his favorite player last week on twitter...
Macarthur
quote:
I think it's a potentially lazy comp because he simply physically looks like Long.

Pff comps him to Michael Bennett. I've also heard Jared Allen.

I think he'll be better than Chris Long and is worthy of top 5. Guess we'll see.

Allen and Long are the two I've heard the most. That's a pretty big gap.
Macarthur
quote:

Yes, Brian, has a huge draft crush on Jack.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

I cringe at using a #4 on a linebacker coming off a blown out knee.
Disco Stu
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I cringe at using a #4 on a linebacker coming off a blown out knee.
A meniscus tear is not exactly what I would call a "blown out knee".
RedlineAg08
He missed the season with a meniscus tear? what a wuss..
DannyDuberstein
AG
That long of a recovery sounds like they had to do microfracture - or it was at least a significant enough tear where that knee is probably right around the corner from needing microfracture. I'd be extremely hesitant to draft a guy with a knee in that condition.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
That long of a recovery sounds like they had to do microfracture - or it was at least a significant enough tear where that knee is probably right around the corner from needing microfracture. I'd be extremely hesitant to draft a guy with a knee in that condition.
Jaylon or Jack?
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Jaylon or Jack?

I believe we are talking about Myles Jack.
corleoneAg99
AG
Jack was just a meniscus. Jaylon tore everything and at the combine was trending towards possible nerve damage. He'll put out a medical update before the draft.
Macarthur
I'm not really concerned about Jack's knee. My concern is picking a LBer that high that is not primarily a pass rusher. There's no doubt the guy is a great athlete and would def help this defense, but that position has a pretty short shelf life.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I'm not really concerned about Jack's knee. My concern is picking a LBer that high that is not primarily a pass rusher. There's no doubt the guy is a great athlete and would def help this defense, but that position has a pretty short shelf life.
Also, a bunch of pages ago there was a spreadsheet about the lifespan of the non pass rushing LB. If I remember it correctly, it basically describes the average lifespan of a first round linebacker as seven years. It's really harrowing how short these guys' careers are at that position. Of those that weren't retired, only Luke Kuechly had played more than 60% of his team's games.
Ryan34
AG
I think Myles Jack would play a similar role as Khalil Mack and Von Miller (pre-Wade). Stand up LB who rushes the passer on passing downs. He had 7 sacks as a freshman and 8 as a sophomore, so he can get after the QB.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:

I would take a Luke Keuchly clone at #4. No hesitation. The question is would Jack be better than Keuchly? Worse? The same? I realize they have different sizes and styles but neither is considered an edge rushing kinda LB. If I think the same or better then I take him with a big smile on my face.

I personally don't think he'll be as good as Keuchly but I'm not the professional talent evaluator.
BassCowboy33
Sturm: Dak Prescott and the reality of mid-round QBs

corleoneAg99
AG
I believe I've seen Jack comped to Thomas Davis but if Jerry thinks he can be like Keuchly I'm sure that Thanksgiving game has given him a lot to think about.

Still think it's too high to draft a LB and especially when you have so many needs on defense. And at QB.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

I would take a Luke Keuchly clone at #4. No hesitation. The question is would Jack be better than Keuchly? Worse? The same? I realize they have different sizes and styles but neither is considered an edge rushing kinda LB. If I think the same or better then I take him with a big smile on my face.
I believe that the point is that finding a Kuechly (or a LB that is sturdy enough to last) is about 1-in-25. It's easy to hindsight Kuechly, but you can't project that on a college kid. The reality is that you are looking at using a #4 on a guy coming off a knee injury that cost him a season that already has very large chance of not having an eight year career. At #4, that's simply an unacceptable, silly risk.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I think Myles Jack would play a similar role as Khalil Mack and Von Miller (pre-Wade). Stand up LB who rushes the passer on passing downs. He had 7 sacks as a freshman and 8 as a sophomore, so he can get after the QB.
Those were tackles for losses... He only has 1 career sack.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
quote:
Those were tackles for losses... He only has 1 career sack.

I stand corrected. I do think he can be a situational pass rusher, but agree with the sentiment regarding being very cautious about drafting an unproven pass rusher in the top 5.
corleoneAg99
AG
He's a run and hit linebacker who projects to have good to elite coverage skills. He can rush the passer from a OLB position but it won't be a primary function. He's more likely to drop back into coverage and play safety, cover the TE, or even in some cases cover the slot.
PooDoo
AG
Jack is more of a pass defender than pass rusher. He has more INTs & about as many passes defended as Jalen Ramsey.

I love the way he runs the ball. He has about 3-5 solid stiff arms in every highlight run. Hard to see what he's doing on defense with the clips I've found.
Ag Natural
AG
Jack is probably the best athlete in this draft. I wouldn't hate that pick but mainly because the only guy I really like is Elliott. Might as well go for the homerun. Jack has the potential to be a great player if he takes to coaching.
RedlineAg08
Do you getrid of sean lee or Rolondo mcclain? Or donyou move sean to SAM and let Jack play WILL?

I dont mind Jack but those 2 LBs are good. Both have had trouble in the past of staying on the field but I think McClains troubles are behind him and Lee was healthy last year.
RedlineAg08
Im set on Joey Bosa. If his floor is Chris Long then you got a solid strong side DE for the next 6-10 years. With a history of making plays and being a difference maker.

The ceiling is JJ Watt or Jared Allen..

Whether he's Chris Long or JJ Watt he's a solid #4 pick that is going to elevate the play of that position for years to come.

I like Jack and could get behind that pick but you cant take McClain or Lee off the field when healthy.
Macarthur
quote:
Im set on Joey Bosa. If his floor is Chris Long then you got a solid strong side DE for the next 6-10 years. With a history of making plays and being a difference maker.

I like Jack and could get behind that pick but you cant take McClain or Lee off the field when healthy.

I think in obvious passing situations, I think you certainly can take McClain off the field. Jack and Lee could be a great combo on passing situations. It might also help McClain's health if he plays less snaps in those situations.
RedlineAg08
McClain doesnt really have an injury problem. And he's ideal for a Rob Marinelli defense being so long. Sean Lee was a solid MLB and he admitted that McClain is better suited in this defense for the position. And you absolutely cant take Lee off the field when he's healthy.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
McClain doesnt really have an injury problem

He definitely has a reliability problem though. Overall, I think the team gets good value from him so I wont complain too much but there's a reason he keeps getting one year deals and not drawing that much interest from others. Teams don't trust him whether its off the field or on the field when he seems to get winded more frequently than others, or is found on the sideline not participating in crucial situations.

If Jack is the pick, then McLain can be inside and Lee and Jack outside. When McLain becomes unreliable as he often does, then Jack can go inside and Hitch or whoever goes outside. Whatever they do, they need to keep Lee outside if they want to keep him on the field.
RedlineAg08
No doubt he's been a knucklehead. These 1 year deals are to deal with part of it. Hopefully a healthy offseason of training helps his endurance.
PooDoo
AG
You need to look as McClain as disposable. Even without injury the guy doesn't take care of his body. He'll come in out of shape again.
He'll start missing practice & games before long.

Luckily he didn't have a ton of miles since he was such a washout in Oakland.

I love the way he plays though, just have to be prepared for the inevitable.
jr15aggie
AG
It's hard being at number 4... if we were drafting somewhere between 8-12 we'd be thrilled to get somebody like Bosa or Zeke... but at 4 we start to get real picky!!! Here's my take on a few guys:

Bosa: You know what you are getting here. A really good football player that plays hard! If you are lucky he turns into a JJ Watt type whose motor leads to big plays/sacks. If you are unlucky he's a solid player that is a starter, but never lives up to #4. He also plays the 1 position we are in dire need of so it will be hard to argue the pick.

Ramsey: I'm only scared because I think the Cowboys would force him to play corner. I say if you get him go ahead and put him at safety next to Jones and we have gone from a decade of poor safety play to possibly one of the best center fields in the NFL in the next couple years. Nothing wrong with 2 good safeties who can both come down and cover when needed. He doesn't have to be a full time CB to make him worthy of #4.

Elliott: I know the Cowboys feel like they've invested a lot in their line and don't need to take a RB at #4 to have a good running game. But if you aren't sold on these other guys, take this man and let's make our offense ELITE and hope we can put together a decent defense to go along with it.
corleoneAg99
AG
One thing I heard Ed Werder say on a podcast which makes some sense is that assuming CLE takes a QB, and all signs point to that being so, then McCown will be on the street and that's a guy the Cowboys could easily target to backup Romo along with a round 2-5 pick like Prescott or Allen, etc.

Also today on BAD Radio they put forth the idea of taking a non-QB at 4, and lets say Bosa, and then trading back into the end of the first to take someone like Paxton Lynch.

I'd personally rather have Goff or Wentz and then in the second round take the best defensive player available because there will be some really solid ones there.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
to me taking a QB in the 2nd , 3rd, or 4th is half assing it.

if Wentz or Goff is there at 4 and you think they are franchise guys, then take em there and be done with it.

otherwise, you have the opportunity to get 3-4 guys who can come in and immediately help you because you are drafting so high.

personally, i very much prefer the latter plan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.