****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

212,000 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
corleoneAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I don't really understand why a DL's 40 time matters. Shouldn't there agility/shorter sprint drills be the thing that matters a little more.

They really don't matter too much.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
What I like about elliot is the x factor of our oline. McFadden had a good year, but you put an elite back behind that line and our offense could take off. If we are gonna reject the qbs we need to scare defenses off Romo as much as possible with a lethal run and screen game.

But we are still gonna need lots of help on D. Fingers crossed Scandrick comes back 100% cause that will be1 impact player we didn't have last year.

Calling him an elite back before he's played a single down is premature. Plenty of great college backs never did well in the NFL.
No offense, but what the heck else do we have to go from!? We don't get to see these guys in the NFL and then draft them. All we have to go from is their college tape and combine stats. From college tape, Elliot is ELITE!!! The guy is unbelievable! Anybody looking for guarantees is crap out of luck!
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
What I like about elliot is the x factor of our oline. McFadden had a good year, but you put an elite back behind that line and our offense could take off. If we are gonna reject the qbs we need to scare defenses off Romo as much as possible with a lethal run and screen game.

But we are still gonna need lots of help on D. Fingers crossed Scandrick comes back 100% cause that will be1 impact player we didn't have last year.

Calling him an elite back before he's played a single down is premature. Plenty of great college backs never did well in the NFL.
No offense, but what the heck else do we have to go from!? We don't get to see these guys in the NFL and then draft them. All we have to go from is their college tape and combine stats. From college tape, Elliot is ELITE!!! The guy is unbelievable! Anybody looking for guarantees is crap out of luck!

He's elite in college, not in the NFL. If he hasn't played a down, he is called a "prospect". When he becomes a top tier NFL back after multiple great seasons, then he's "elite". See how this works?
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
I don't really understand why a DL's 40 time matters. Shouldn't there agility/shorter sprint drills be the thing that matters a little more.

They really don't matter too much.

It's actually a bigger deal for the position than for some others. Speed on the Dline is an enormous issue, especially against lineman with long arms. Shooting gaps, getting around the end, and stretching plays require increasingly large amounts of speed as the game has changed over the last decade and offensive lineman have gotten bigger and stronger.
corleoneAg99
AG
It's a bigger deal than say OL or QB sure and for pass rushers who are speed reliant(Spence) it gets more attention but Bosa was never classified as such. He's a power/hands/technique guy who plays the run really well and whose tape grades are as good as it gets. The fact he was 4.8 instead of 4.7 or high 4.6 doesn't mean he's going to plummet down draft boards IMO.

Guess we'll see how pro days go and then obviously on 4/28. By guess is that the DL and DE grades didn't change much because of 40 time outside of maybe Spence because at the Senior Bowl he was getting a lot of hype to the point that as a severe red flag guy he was being mocked in the top 10.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Fast-twitch explosion is critical for a DE that you'd spend a top 5-10 pick on. That is a guy you want to be aboe take over a game with his explosiveness. 40 isn't the greatest fast-twitch measure, but pursuit is critical for a DE so a 4.9 is a warning sign for a guy that already carried some concerns. No, I don't think he'll completely freefall, but no way would I take him top 5-7.
corleoneAg99
AG
Ok.
corleoneAg99
AG
Oh and on the pursuit point, Watt and Bosa pretty much ran the same 40 time. Watt struggle at pursuit?
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's elite in college, not in the NFL. If he hasn't played a down, he is called a "prospect". When he becomes a top tier NFL back after multiple great seasons, then he's "elite". See how this works?

We are talking draft/combine... You don't think Elliott is the elite back of this combine?
PooDoo
AG
Wonder if Darron Lee could play SS like a bigger Woodson?
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

We are talking draft/combine... You don't think Elliott is the elite back of this combine?

Not what I said. That's the second time in a month you've tried to twist my argument. I'm asking you for the second time to please stop.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Oh and on the pursuit point, Watt and Bosa pretty much ran the same 40 time. Watt struggle at pursuit?

This is why I don't like comparing players. Who knows, with time, it's certainly possible that Bosa could be like Watt.
RedlineAg08
Post Combine:
Nkemdiche solidified that he's the best DT. Id really like him at 4 if you can believe he's at all capable of keeping it together off the field. He might be miscast as a 1Tech in our defense but I still think he'd be disruptive.

And follow that up with Noah Spence in the second round

BMX Bandit
He's not an option at 4. Too many character issues
corleoneAg99
AG
I don't think Nkemdiche solidified himself at all much less as the best overall DT. He admitted to the red flag issues and his tape still shows he takes plays off. Too deep a DT class to take him high.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

This is why I don't like comparing players. Who knows, with time, it's certainly possible that Bosa could be like Watt.

Possible but unlikely; Watts the elite of the elite. Point was, though, that drawing conclusions on being able to get to the QB from the guys 40 is faulty IMO.
RedlineAg08
The one guy I want most is Shaq Lawson at this point. The projection guys have him so far back that drafting him 4 seems crazy, , but I bet he doesnt fall past 10-12..

I dont know about Ramsey, yet, but he's the only top CB that gas the size to fit what the cowboys want. I really like Alexander and Hargreaves is good too buteitger of those guys would be like drafting Claiborne.

I would love Fuller in the 2nd.
RedlineAg08
quote:
I don't think Nkemdiche solidified himself at all much less as the best overall DT. He admitted to the red flag issues and his tape still shows he takes plays off. Too deep a DT class to take him high.

Based purely on talent, you dont think he's the best?

And Ive been really high on Robinson, but 24 reps? I know bench press reps doesnt tell much, but a big run stuffing 1tech has to put up more than 24 reps.
PooDoo
AG
Well Bass,

Are you the Supreme Ruler of the internet?

I'd suggest you stop trying to boss people around.

I really don't remember you posting in the Cowboy discussions we've had for the last 4-5 years. But this year you elbow your way in and start telling people what to do, how to think, and what's what.

Why do you think you have authority over me, jr, or anyone else? Is there some reason your opinion should matter over everyone else?
BMX Bandit
Nobody puts poo doo in the corner!!
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

And Ive been really high on Robinson, but 24 reps? I know bench press reps doesnt tell much, but a big run stuffing 1tech has to put up more than 24 reps.

I was actually rather surprised (and pleasantly so) with Nkemdiche's physicality. He's handled a rather awkward situation very well thus far.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Possible but unlikely; Watts the elite of the elite. Point was, though, that drawing conclusions on being able to get to the QB from the guys 40 is faulty IMO.

And I'm willing to bet Bosa will look better at his pro day. The combine has a tendency to cause these kids (that's really what they are) to look stiff and uncomfortable.
BMX Bandit
How did he handle it well? Threw Tunsil under the bus and tried to claim he was just drinking.
BassCowboy33
quote:
How did he handle it well? Threw Tunsil under the bus and tried to claim he was just drinking.

Re: Oops, mispost. Let's try, again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639863/article/day-3-nfl-combine-winners-and-losers
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

I think he's the most physically gifted but not the best player. I'd take Buckner and Rankins for sure over him and probably billings too. He and Chris Jones are probably next although I also really like Kenny Clark and Sheldon Day.
BMX Bandit
I didn't see anything about how he handled himself in that link. Did I miss it?
BassCowboy33
quote:
I didn't see anything about how he handled himself in that link. Did I miss it?

"For all of the negative attention surrounding the Ole Miss star, there is no disputing his remarkable combination of size, strength, and athleticism. Nkemdiche flashed impressive balance, body control, and agility in drills, yet it was his explosive numbers in the athletic evaluation (4.87-second 40, 35-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-8 broad jump, and 28 bench reps) that will open up eyes. He is an explosive athlete with unique physical tools, which makes him a worthy consideration as a top pick despite his baggage."

It is a little ways down. I didn't think he could improve his draft stock based solely on his physical performance, but it seems he has.

If you'd like to talk about his interview, that's a different horse, but as has been stated earlier, there needs to be a hesitation with negative interviews with these kids (much in the same way Corleone and I have discussed 40 yard dash times). You'd like to see him own up to it and be a little more transparent.
Macarthur
quote:

You know, the watt talk is interesting.

Really no one saw watt becoming this good. Bob sturm who is from Wisconsin and follows them closely is on record as saying he did not see watt becoming what he has.

He's in a HOF track so I think the bosa comparisons are pretty much useless.
BMX Bandit
I'm trying to figure out your basis for saying

quote:
He's handled a rather awkward situation very well thus far.

I assumed you meant his character issues. The link doesn't show anything about him handling it well (or poorly)

BassCowboy33
quote:
I'm trying to figure out your basis for saying

quote:
He's handled a rather awkward situation very well thus far.

I assumed you meant his character issues. The link doesn't show anything about him handling it well (or poorly)

Ah, no sweat. Things tend to get lost in translation on a messageboard.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Really no one saw watt becoming this good. Bob sturm who is from Wisconsin and follows them closely is on record as saying he did not see watt becoming what he has.

Bob is my leader.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

Right which is why I mentioned Im really just talking about the 4.8 40 means less than ideal pursuit point.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Saul Goodman thinks he handled the interview well.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Saul Goodman thinks he handled the interview well.

How many people on this board understand the reference?
BMX Bandit
Probably more than don't

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.