****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,455 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A guard not quite as good as Martin just got 5 for $60 deal.

Letting assets walk is why we are in this position. Need to trade them if you can't get a long term deal done.
BMX Bandit
I'd be very surprised, if Martin ever gets away from the Cowboys. He would be a great candidate for franchise tag
corleoneAg99
AG
The Osweiler thing makes me wonder if Jerry is currently thinking a lot harder about a QB at 4.

Probably not, but, this offseason has several examples of why having a good plan at QB might keep you from some pretty risky decisions down the road.
PooDoo
AG
That's what everyone said when I mentioned needing to make a choice between Dez & Murray a few years ago.

It's so hard to hit on a good player... You can't let them walk in their prime for nothing.

Now we have Robo-Romo at QB, the over the hill gang in the backfield, a good WR in a great WR's body, & more holes to fill than draft picks.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:

Letting assets walk is why we are in this position. Need to trade them if you can't get a long term deal done.
Man, completely disagree. I think Jerry's devotion to his players has been the killer in the recent past.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
The Osweiler thing makes me wonder if Jerry is currently thinking a lot harder about a QB at 4.

Probably not, but, this offseason has several examples of why having a good plan at QB might keep you from some pretty risky decisions down the road.

It probably justifies why he doesn't want to invest in a back up & have them leave for nothing.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

Man, completely disagree. I think Jerry's devotion to his players has been the killer in the recent past.

That's exactly my point... He doesn't know when to cut bait until the player makes the decision. He needs to know if a player isn't long term he's just a piece to use to bring in other players who might be.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Cowboys reportedly one of a couple of teams in the lead for Eric Weddle. Please let this happen. I cannot see that Wilcox/Church tandem take anymore terrible angles.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Cowboys reportedly one of a couple of teams in the lead for Eric Weddle. Please let this happen. I cannot see that Wilcox/Church tandem take anymore terrible angles.
That could be an interesting signing. Probably won't break the bank for a 30+ year old safety, but he probably has enough in the tank to be an improvement over what we got. Would make a great teacher & tandem with Byron Jones. Sounds exactly like a Stephen type pick-up and starts to cover us so we aren't reaching in the draft.

Regarding the talk of Zack Martin vs. current free agent $ signings... he is one of the reasons we aren't going to break the bank for free agents right now. In a very short amount of time we are going to have one of the best centers in football needing his first non-rookie deal... we are going to have the best Guard in football needing his first non-rookie deal... we are going to have another up and coming Guard who got screwed out of his rookie deal ready to cash in too. Look for the Cowboys to sweeten the pot for these guys and sign them to an early extension which will boost their salary early but save the Cowboys money in the long run. We can't do that if we start blowing our cap on guys other teams let walk.
PooDoo
AG
If they are looking to make Jones a FS I'd think bringing in a veteran SS would speed his development more so than Weddle. He would actually be getting reps and not watching from the sideline or slot.

Although, t would probably be a better defense with Weddle at FS, Wilcox/Church at SS, & Jones at CB.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Although, t would probably be a better defense with Weddle at FS, Wilcox/Church at SS, & Jones at CB.

This is what I'm thinking too. It'll make for an overall stronger secondary assuming they don't go out and sign a top flight CB after Weddle.

Weddle and Church as your Safeties, and Jones and Scandrick as your CBs. Free Agent/Claiborne/Carr as your 3rd CB. Draft pick as your 4th CB.
. . .
-Signed DE Cedric Thornton to a 4-year, $17M deal

Thornton deal: $17M, $9M gtd, $5M bonus, salaries $1M (gtd), $3M (gtd for injury at signing), $4M, $4M, $500K escalator '18, '19

Tyrone Crawford restructured his contract, creating $4.39M in cap space.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Does anyone know anything about this Thornton? Honestly never recall even hearing of him.
PooDoo
AG
BassCowboy33
quote:
Does anyone know anything about this Thornton? Honestly never recall even hearing of him.

Kind of a George Selvie player. Sturm was saying earlier that he's the kind of guy who can give you 15-20 plays a game of average output.
corleoneAg99
AG
He can spin inside too so he doesn't just have to play end.
corleoneAg99
AG
Oh and I still think Jones is best at FS and then look to cover the TE on obvious passing downs...I think making him outside full time is a little bit of a waste but I guess we'll see if this Weddle thing is real.
jr15aggie
AG
Sounds like Thornton will move in-side and play the 1 technique next to Crawford. He's not a sack guy but apparently has really good tackling stats as a 3-4 DE and that's really what we need... a guy to eat up blocks and still make tackles so the RB doesn't get to the 2nd level. Could be a great signing for us if he performs up to our scouts expectations.

Regarding Jones, to me you want him playing a Darren Woodson role. Play the safety spot but also come down and cover like a CB. If he continues to improve he'll be far and away the best safety we've had since Woodson... man, we've had such a void at safety since that guy retired!
Macarthur
Broaddus said Thornton's film against Fred & Martin is really solid. I think it's a good pick up. Not a super star, but a good player.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Broaddus said Thornton's film against Fred & Martin is really solid. I think it's a good pick up. Not a super star, but a good player.

And they didn't have to overpay to get him.

I also like resigning Wilber.
. . .
They have been awarded 4 compensatory picks

4th rd(135th overall)
6th rd(212th overall)
6th rd(216th overall)
6th rd(217th overall)
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

4th rd(135th overall)
6th rd(212th overall)
6th rd(216th overall)
6th rd(217th overall)

That's solid! You can't trade those picks, but it will allow us to more easily deal our real picks if needed. For example we can more easily part with our 5th rounder now that we have another 4th.

Or even better, keep them all and draft yourself some good players!
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

4th rd(135th overall)
6th rd(212th overall)
6th rd(216th overall)
6th rd(217th overall)

That's solid! You can't trade those picks, but it will allow us to more easily deal our real picks if needed. For example we can more easily part with our 5th rounder now that we have another 4th.

Or even better, keep them all and draft yourself some good players!

I know that one of Sturm's arguments for drafting a QB is that you have...so...many...draft picks this year (I think 4 of the Top 100) that you can draft for the now and still address the elephant in the room.
PooDoo
AG
Can anyone remember the last time a young QB was brought in as the heir apparent & had success? Steve Young & Aaron Rodgers are the only ones I can think of.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Steve McNair sat a year or two.
CrottyKid
AG
Maybe Bortles?
RedbeardAG
AG
Bortles started from the beginning no?
corleoneAg99
AG
Russ probably qualifies; they signed Flynn to a decent deal and he never saw the field.

BassCowboy33
Are we talking about guys who sat the bench for a couple seasons or guys thrown to the wolves? The history of the NFL is littered with guys who got thrown out there too early and saw their careers drowned in a sea of sacks and fumbles. The league almost destroyed Troy Aikman, who, let's be honest, wouldn't have made it in today's impatient NFL. Even in that time, Jimmy brought in Steve Walsh to try and take his job. Drew Brees had a QB rating of around 70 the first three years. Elway had more INTs than touchdowns in three of his first six seasons.

As for guys who sit to start their careers? Romo, Manning, Cousins (asterisk at this point), Rogers, Brady, Brees, Warner (asterisk due to career track), and Rivers all sat. This used to be more common, but has been phased out due to the lack of patience by front offices.

As mentioned above, you are seeing less patience in developing quarterbacks in the modern NFL. The kids that come and succeed early usually have very conservative offensive play calling and a stellar ground game, but teams give up on kids far quicker today.
CrottyKid
AG
No. Henne started ahead of him, I think.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
No. Henne started ahead of him, I think.

For what, 2 games?
PooDoo
AG
I'm taking about guys brought in to replace an aging franchise QB and be his back up/apprentice.

Not guys that just back up a game or season.

For example, if the Cowboys drafted a QB at 4.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I'm taking about guys brought in to replace an aging franchise QB and be his back up/apprentice.

This isn't answering the question directly... But I imagine anybody brought in now to learn from Romo and not have the weight of the franchise on his shoulders as a rookie will be a better QB than somebody we throw to the wolves after Romo retires.

I'm a big fan of Romo as a person and a pro... I think he would be a great mentor to a top flight college QB entering the league.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

This isn't answering the question directly... But I imagine anybody brought in now to learn from Romo and not have the weight of the franchise on his shoulders as a rookie will be a better QB than somebody we throw to the wolves after Romo retires.

I'm a big fan of Romo as a person and a pro... I think he would be a great mentor to a top flight college QB entering the league.

I think that in any other year, Cowboys fans would be glad to live and die with Tony; however, the #4 pick doesn't fall into this franchise's lap very often. There are a lot of "next year" people out there, but it would be beyond stunning if Dallas picks in the top half of next year's draft (barring another Romo injury. In that case, thank the football gods with a first-born sacrifice). You're then relegated into taking some spare in the late first round or trying to convince yourself that the 2017 version of Prescott/Hogan/Hackenberg is really what you want or worse...doing what Houston just did and pay huge money for a guy who wouldn't even be the best backup in the league.

Either way, this team will live and die by it's QB decisions over the next two seasons. They can try and Aaron Rogers/Philip Rivers/Eli Manning this thing or try the Mark Cuban route and piecemeal together a string of mediocre seasons that piss everybody off in the hopes striking gold.
BassCowboy33
Dak Prescott was arrested today for a DUI. Hopefully, this will make Dallas take him off their board.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.