****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,441 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
RedlineAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Terrible how it's worked out. He was the consensus best cover corner in the draft and it was a good pick at the time.

Ag Natural
AG
If I'm making the pick, I rank leadership skills and brains very high especially with a top 10 pick. All these guys are talented, let's pick one who can be a key player soon and not still be trying to figure it out in 4 years.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
If I'm making the pick, I rank leadership skills and brains very high especially with a top 10 pick. All these guys are talented, let's pick one who can be a key player soon and not still be trying to figure it out in 4 years.

I know I've beat the Zeke drum already so I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything... but in reference to this statement Zeke is very much a team motivator. Not sure if that makes him a leader, but what I've read says he's the guy the troops rally behind. He's a very vocal guy and on the field he plays with passion and plays hard. And not just running the ball, but as a blocker as well. Always 100%.

Somebody was talking about him at one point and said a combination of him and Dez would be awesome... would definitely spark the team.

Has anybody heard anything similar about other possible picks such as Ramsey?
Ag Natural
AG
I'm beating the Zeke drum as well. Number one on my board.
BassCowboy33
Didn't Elliott whine after losing to Michigan State that he needed to get the ball more and publicly criticize his coaches? The same coaches that have led Ohio State to a whopping, like, three losses in the last 2-3 years?

I don't care what level you play at, that's not an acceptable practice.

Also, it doesn't do you any good to draft a back at #4 who will be on another team in five years and out of the league in ten. Dallas has no intention of paying huge money for a severely devalued position. I'd rather get someone you are going to get two contracts out of.
Macarthur
I love the thought of Elliot also, but I've been reading up on the history of RBs taken early in the first and it's not good.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Didn't Elliott whine after losing to Michigan State that he needed to get the ball more and publicly criticize his coaches? The same coaches that have led Ohio State to a whopping, like, three losses in the last 2-3 years?

Also, it doesn't do you any good to draft a back at #4 who will be on another team in five years and out of the league in ten. Dallas has no intention of paying huge money for a severely devalued position. I'd rather get someone you are going to get two contracts out of.

Yeah, he called out the coaching staff after a loss correctly stating they need to run the ball to win. He wants to lead the team and win games. If you draft a RB anywhere you would hope to get 5 great years. That's true with every position outside of QB and OL. You can't make decisions like this today based on the possible ramifications 7 years from now.
PooDoo
AG
You know the media baited him with the question & then sensationalized his answer.

It's a nonissue.
corleoneAg99
AG
Man I like Elliot and all but Sturm is 100% dead on with his take that the Cowboys fandom wants him so bad right now despite all the linear data to the contrary when it comes to taking RB's at the top of the draft.

I just don't get it but everyone is welcome to having "their guy".
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, he called out the coaching staff after a loss correctly stating they need to run the ball to win. He wants to lead the team and win games. If you draft a RB anywhere you would hope to get 5 great years. That's true with every position outside of QB and OL. You can't make decisions like this today based on the possible ramifications 7 years from now.
I briefly heard the story and I too heard it told in a positive light. The Dallas sports writers were critiquing several players and they used this story as a positive for Zeke. Didn't use the term whiney... they described it as him wanting to carry the load when it really mattered. They didn't mention him calling anybody out, just him saying I have to be the guy in that situation, when it's time to get a win.

But it's all good... Ag Natural and I are gonna start our own thread called "Zeke and why we love him". Be sure to check it out after we draft Joey Bosa... epic meltdown!
RedlineAg08
Regardless if he was right or not. You don't air it out in public #1... If it was just a bad moment then so be it, but then he followed it up with declaring for the draft within the next week if I recall correctly... that doesn't sound like a nonissue to me.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

I briefly heard the story and I too heard it told in a positive light. The Dallas sports writers were critiquing several players and they used this story as a positive for Zeke. Didn't use the term whiney... they described it as him wanting to carry the load when it really mattered. They didn't mention him calling anybody out, just him saying I have to be the guy in that situation, when it's time to get a win.

But it's all good... Ag Natural and I are gonna start our own thread called "Zeke and why we love him". Be sure to check it out after we draft Joey Bosa... epic meltdown!

No, he did it in the after game press conference and received tons of negative pub for it. Some even thought it would hurt his status going forward, but it seems that it may have been a one time incident.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14188908/ezekiel-elliott-ohio-state-buckeyes-points-finger-coaching-staff-loss-michigan-state-spartans

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/25384461/ezekiel-elliott-rips-ohio-state-coaches-theres-no-chance-i-come-back

Chalk it up to a kid losing his temper. I did read in another article that he apologized to his team and coaching staff.
BassCowboy33
Schefter is reporting that numerous teams are talking with the Browns at #2. Apparently, likely candidates are Dallas, Philly, Houston, and San Fran.

Sturm spoke this afternoon about trade down scenarios and broke down how Dallas would be looking in the 8-11 range. Also says don't assume teams will trade up for Tunsil as this is a T heavy draft.
Disco Stu
AG
It should also be noted that Urban Meyer agreed with his comments:

quote:
"Zeke is a very honest guy. I couldn't disagree with him; he should have got the ball more. That wasn't the place for it."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14204357/ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-urban-meyer-says-ezekiel-elliott-picked-wrong-setting-outburst
birdman
I think Cowboys are doing a terrific job of creating more buzz for Zeke. Maybe some team will buy the noise and trade up to get him.
BassCowboy33
quote:
It should also be noted that Urban Meyer agreed with his comments:

quote:
"Zeke is a very honest guy. I couldn't disagree with him; he should have got the ball more. That wasn't the place for it."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14204357/ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-urban-meyer-says-ezekiel-elliott-picked-wrong-setting-outburst

The comments may very well have been correct, but anyone who has ever played a sport can tell you why he was way out of line.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Schefter is reporting that numerous teams are talking with the Browns at #2. Apparently, likely candidates are Dallas, Philly, Houston, and San Fran.

Sturm spoke this afternoon about trade down scenarios and broke down how Dallas would be looking in the 8-11 range. Also says don't assume teams will trade up for Tunsil as this is a T heavy draft.
Awesome! I love this pre-draft stuff... this thread took off again after the 1st trade so I say let's do it again!

We've had some drafts recently where trades were minimal and most teams just stood still and waited their turn. You definitely get the feel there will be a decent amount of moving around in the top 10 this year. If both QBs go 1 & 2 you got 3-4 names still on the board that some teams consider cream of the crop. I bet we see some stuff go down draft night!
BassCowboy33
quote:
I think Cowboys are doing a terrific job of creating more buzz for Zeke. Maybe some team will buy the noise and trade up to get him.

Honestly, they can create all the buzz they want, but unless that RB is a transcendent talent along the lines of Adrian Peterson, it's a fool's errand to take a RB in the Top 10, some would say Top 15.

Although Sturm did mention that if Philly wants Elliott bad enough, you might be able to fleece them on a trade for him.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Sturm spoke this afternoon about trade down scenarios and broke down how Dallas would be looking in the 8-11 range.

There's gona be some good players here in this range. There's a chance Buckner slips down there, if not him then there's a slew of other guys they can go with.
PooDoo
AG
quote:

I've been saying we need Elliott since page 1... Now you're trying to push me off the bandwagon!?!?
corleoneAg99
AG
While I think QB is the best option for them at #4 I don't think they should trade up. They have too many holes.

I'd be in favor of a trade down, maybe 5-10 spots, and take Lynch and pick up some extra picks.

Again, there is pretty much a 0% chance they do this but it's my number one option if you don't stay put and take either Bosa or Ramsey.
BMX Bandit
Per bilbobag, Eagles looking to move to #2
PooDoo
BassCowboy33
quote:
Per bilbobag, Eagles looking to move to #2

If the Eagles wind up with either of those guys, I'll probably cry myself to sleep for weeks.
corleoneAg99
AG
I'd be all for that. It'll cost and they are more than a QB away.
BassCowboy33
I'm for them trading to get anything but a quarterback.
TheCougarHunter
AG
I'm liking Kessler if they can get him in one of the mid rounds. Very underrated QB in this draft IMO.
birdman
Most people think there are 6 or 7 top flight guys in this draft. Obviously, several are at unneeded spots for Dallas.

Depending on how first three picks shake out, I might trade down a spot or two. I wouldn't leave that top 7. Value starts to really drop.
jeffdjohnson
The Cowboys have done it right. OL is more important than RB for a running game. Taking a RB is pointless at #4 unless it is an Adrian Petersen/Leonard Fournette type. That is very rare. Not to mention that RB has a very short shelf life. Taking a worthy QB (Goff/Wentz) is the best value pick the Cowboys could make. Next would be a dominant DE. Unfortunately Bosa just doesn't seem to be that guy. Next would be an OT although the Cowboys are pretty good on the OL. Tunsil would be a good pick though. Next would be corner and Ramsey seems to be a good pick.

I would say if the Cowboys come away with Goff/Wentz/Tunsil/Ramsey then they had a good day. Unfortunately only Ramsey seems to fill an immediate need right now.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Most people think there are 6 or 7 top flight guys in this draft. Obviously, several are at unneeded spots for Dallas.

Depending on how first three picks shake out, I might trade down a spot or two. I wouldn't leave that top 7. Value starts to really drop.

I've said before I like the idea of trading back 2-3 spots if we can still get somebody like Zeke. In a perfect world we'd get an extra 2nd rounder and still get one of our guys! But keep in mind other teams are looking to wheel and deal too. As soon as you move back somebody like Baltimore is more than happy to trade back with somebody who wants to jump ahead of Dallas. You always run the risk of getting wiped out of your top guys if you trade back.

So despite trading back sounding good, I'm also very happy to stay at #4 and make the pick. We sucked last year for a reason... we earned #4 with a horrible season of football. I'm not walking away from my guy... my ELITE guy... hoping I can still get a decent player a few spots later. I'm taking my guy at #4 because that's my reward for a crap season! (Right now I'd guess that guy is Ramsey)
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Rumors that the Eagles have trade parameters in place to get the #2 pick and it possibly involves this year's 2nd and next year's 1.

Teams usually only make that kinda move up for a QB. But they just gave Bradford an extension.

In my opinion you either give Bradford that extension and then stick with that pick building around him, or you don't give him that extension and then make a move like this. It's dumb to do both. Chip Kelly isn't around anymore for you to blame for these curious moves.

But hey, they are Philly and we are Cowboys fans so if they wana make these head scratching moves then more power to em.
corleoneAg99
AG
lol eagles
ramblin_ag02
AG
In addition to Bradford's extension and the draft, they also have the highest priced backup QB in the league. He's making close to starter money. Maybe they have some 2 or 3 QB formations cooked up?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Eagles pay a king's ransom for that #2 pick...thinking they get Wentz.
corleoneAg99
AG
Biggest winner here?

Paxton Lynch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.