****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,447 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I didnt watch him after his freshman year, so i have no clue. Just liked his Gruden interview

In the words of Bob Sturm, "Christian Hackenberg is the perfect quarterback for your offense if your offense doesn't require completing passes or throwing spirals".
DannyDuberstein
AG
He completed 53% of his passes last year against what, outside of a couple of teams, was a pretty flimsy schedule. Their offense did little to nothing against remotely decent defenses. I don't even want to imagine how ugly he'd look vs. an NFL defense.
BMX Bandit
Granted, I haven't done any thing close to "film study" but seems like every time I watched penn state he sucked. Has a good arm & knows what to do, just can't do it. Like a little smarter & weaker Ryan Mallet.
jr15aggie
AG
My head hurt yesterday after the Lawrence news. Still sucks but my head is clear now and I'm beating the Zeke drum once again. Let's think about this...

We were one call away (it was a catch!) from the NFC championship in 2014. You can argue our defensive personnel is similar, talent wise, as it was that year (especially with a healthy Sean Lee). We had a bunch of no-name scrubs on the D-Line that year too. I'd argue our secondary this year should be better, our LBs (if healthy) are better, and our D-line could be OK if we get them help in the 2nd/3rd round.

What was the biggest difference between 2012 & 2013? A healthy Romo for one, but the few games Romo played last year our offense hadn't really started clicking the way it had when we had Murray and a good rotation behind him. I say our best chance to get back to 2012 is get Zeke round 1 and then go hunting for D-Line/LB/Secondary in rounds 2-5. I'm almost positive there will be a VERY solid DT for us in the 2nd round to start with.

4 games sucks for our DE's, but it's just 4 games and we can't lose focus (especially with the 4th pick) because of 4 games. I say we give our offense a nitro boost and let them control the game/clock like we did in 2014. We'll draft plenty of reinforcements for the defense after that, but we'll lean heavily on guys like Lee, Byron Jones, & Crawford to give us a scrappy defense.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I'm guessing the schedule has to come into play in the war room too now.

The first 4 games are games Dallas should win on paper. That said, they can look at it two ways. One: hey those games aren't that tough, we can probably win without Lawrence and Gregory and take our chances with Ramsey or Elliot. OR Two: hey those are games we should win, but now they just got a lot tougher and if we wana finish 11-5 or whatever we need wins in those games so maybe we should go ahead and take a DE like Bosa.

I'd be curious to see how many points separate Bosa from Ramsey on their overall grades. We might get the answer to that at pick time. If the two are rated very close then they probably go Bosa. If they have a big gap between the 2 then pick is Ramsey.

If the two are close, they can take a chance on Bosa at #4 and then hope and pray that some mocks are correct in that Mackensie Alexander drops into the 2nd. Personally, I think Alexander is a complete stud and will be a great CB in this league. Coming outa the first two rounds with Bosa and Alexander would be pretty awesome. Again though, it would take a lil prayer.
birdman
Dallas has the fourth pick overall. They are hoping to draft somebody that starts for next decade. Who they play in first four games is meaningless.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Dallas has the fourth pick overall. They are hoping to draft somebody that starts for next decade. Who they play in first four games is meaningless.

Agreed! If that's Bosa then so be it. But this news shouldn't effect what they do at pick #4 at all!

BTW... I've heard some things since yesterday suggesting that what Lawrence is facing has to do with an illegal substance per the NFL, not drugs. So that's good. I think the argument is he was on supplements recovering from this herniated disk surgery... an ingredient in the supplement is what threw up the red flag. So this is why we are hearing about an appeal, etc. In short, it's very good news that this is most likely not a bonehead drug decision or anything like that... not much to worry about long term if he does have to serve a 4 game ban.
BassCowboy33
The key is not to overreact or reach. Drafting a RB at #4 or Bosa (if he's not the top guy on the board) are panic moves with little foresight.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Bosa is good but I don't see him as a top 4 pick. Hopefully the chargers take tunsil and we can take Ramsey or trade down
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:

Agreed! If that's Bosa then so be it. But this news shouldn't effect what they do at pick #4 at all!

BTW... I've heard some things since yesterday suggesting that what Lawrence is facing has to do with an illegal substance per the NFL, not drugs. So that's good. I think the argument is he was on supplements recovering from this herniated disk surgery... an ingredient in the supplement is what threw up the red flag. So this is why we are hearing about an appeal, etc. In short, it's very good news that this is most likely not a bonehead drug decision or anything like that... not much to worry about long term if he does have to serve a 4 game ban.

The report is its amphetamines
RedlineAg08
Lets throw out the possibility that the draft Elliott #4 overall just for this questions sake..

Henry is available in the 2nd along with Noah Spence, Alexander, Joseph, A Robinson... Quite a few difference makers at their position. What do you do? Is Henry worth picking up over a starter on defense at a need position..
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Lets throw out the possibility that the draft Elliott #4 overall just for this questions sake..

Henry is available in the 2nd along with Noah Spence, Alexander, Joseph, A Robinson... Quite a few difference makers at their position. What do you do? Is Henry worth picking up over a starter on defense at a need position..

I know you said no Zeke #4... but I'll give you this example I heard the other day and thought it was great. They said getting Zeke & Joseph (RB & Safety) would be a better combo than Ramsey & Henry. I think Henry is a BIG drop-off from Zeke, but I don't think the safeties and D-line guys in the 2nd are that much of a drop from what we could get at #4 (the DE's are much weaker, but there are a lot of really good DT's projected to be around in the 2nd).

Answering your question... I'm taking Robinson or Alexander because I'd be surprised if either are there in round 2. Your list seems to be a little bit wishful thinking, but when you are picking early in the 2nd we are probably in play to get a surprise player.

I'm not a Henry fan at all... if people claim #4 is absolutely too high to use on a RB, then I argue our 2nd round pick is too high as well! After Zeke I see very little to separate the next 4-5 RBs on the board so our high 2nd rounder is too much to pay.
RedlineAg08
I hear you. I dont think we need elliott behind the oline that we've assembled. You're only going to get so much output out of your running game and I think theyre are a couple of options that get us there.. Personally, i think Henry is a perfect RB for what the Cowboys want..

And I dont think all of those players will be there, but a few will with the way these mocks are playing out. I love Alexander, but I think Ramsey is a much better fit for what we want in a CB.
PooDoo
AG
I don't get it... We have a great o-line so a great RB wouldn't help?

The best o-line takes care of the first 5 yards if you're lucky. Did you see how many times McFadden was untouched through the line then tried to lower his shoulder because he can't make any moves in the open field?

Having McFadden running behind this line is like have Tony Gwynn batting clean up on a team that gets on base. Sure Tony will be able to slap in some runs but if you have chance to get Mark McGwire... wouldn't you?

McFadden only scored 3 TD's.... 3

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
And I dont think all of those players will be there, but a few will with the way these mocks are playing out. I love Alexander, but I think Ramsey is a much better fit for what we want in a CB.
My ONLY hangup with Ramsey is there are those that say he isn't a CB. He can come down and play the slot as needed, but he's not a full time CB. You want him back as a safety where he can see the field and react. Not trying to "relive the glory days", but I can relate to this because I was one heck of a safety in my day... I had the skills & size to play CB as needed, but center field was where you wanted me. I don't want him at #4 if our team is gonna force him to play CB... but if they draft him and will allow him to be Darren Woodson (who also came down in the slot and covered) then no arguments here. That would give us 2 safeties that can come down and cover as needed... I'm good with that.

Listening to Cowboys talk they said Jerry made some calls about Ramsey to people he trusted and they did not give glowing reviews of Ramsey as a CB. Not that he's bad, but relative to #4 it wasn't positive. They all said he's a dang good safety, but he might just be OK at CB.

Who knows though, I'm just glad this is turning into an exciting draft!

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
as we get closer, the more i think about it if we can't trade out for a good deal i think we should take Elliot.

the poster above makes a good point too about the OL helping for the first few yards only and then after that its up to the back. we could use a break away threat.

if I'm Dallas, at this point I take Elliott #4 and HOPE and PRAY that either Spence or Alexander are available at #34. Or someone of that level.

add to this that this morning my tOSU buddy messaged me his thoughts when he heard Dallas might be leaning Zeke, and he said Zeke any day all day over Bosa.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I don't get it... We have a great o-line so a great RB wouldn't help?

The best o-line takes care of the first 5 yards if you're lucky. Did you see how many times McFadden was untouched through the line then tried to lower his shoulder because he can't make any moves in the open field?
I can't help myself...blue star and comment!!! :-)

McFadden wasn't great last year... our O-line was special once again when the other team had ZERO fear that we could hurt them throwing the ball. In my opinion McFadden is no better than the scrappy no name DE's we're gonna run out opening weekend. Sure they can ball and they are gonna give you 100%, but nobody is game planning around them. I think we are lacking a really good RB just as much as we are lacking a really good DE so the need is equal.

If we draft Zeke and our offense isn't one of, if not the, best unit in the NFL then our coaches should be fired. As a runner, blocker, and pass catcher Zeke will turbo charge this offense.

If there is a defender that will be instant impact on our defense in the same way I'm all for it. But even with that our defense is still going to rely on grit more than pure skill to be considered a solid unit. I say we give our defense a fighting chance by dominating on offense!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Elliott does bring blocking ability as well. McFadden I believe has one year left on his deal.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
I didnt watch him after his freshman year, so i have no clue. Just liked his Gruden interview

In the words of Bob Sturm, "Christian Hackenberg is the perfect quarterback for your offense if your offense doesn't require completing passes or throwing spirals".
Bass,

Please stop preaching Bob Sturm like he knows what he's talking about. Yes, he's more knowledgable than the average sports radio guy but he's still 75% wind bag.

If pretty spirals were a prerequisite Jeff George and Ryan Leaf would be headed to Canton instead of Manning.

I haven't finished watching Hackenberg's games but he wasn't terrible against Michigan St. It was the only game last season where he threw 2 picks and one was a fluke. It looks like the arm strength and accuracy is there... He seems to go through progressions when the play & blocking allows.

Give him a year/year & 1/2 behind Romo ironing out his mechanics and you might have something. He just turned 21.

I think 3rd would be a great value for him but I don't think he'll last that long. If he makes it through the 1st I doubt he'll get past the Texans in the 2nd.
BMX Bandit
Elliott is going to be a great RB.

Not my top choice, but I won't be mad if that's the pick

I also think Henry will be a very good back
jr15aggie
AG
ESPN doing their trade prediction had a good one that I've heard before... SD will pass on Tunsil and Tennessee is in a great spot to trade back up and get the guy they would have taken at #1.

Dallas most likely gets #15, #33 & #76 (mid 3rd rounder)... Titans would get #4 and we'd probably throw in a late round pick to take away some sting.

I think that could be a GREAT move for both teams. Tennessee would still have a bounty left over from their trade (including a #1 next year), but still get the guy they would have taken if they were forced to pick at #1. HUGE win for Tennessee. Dallas gets to move down and either get a really good defender or Paxton Lynch... but they now have 2nd & 3rd picks in 2nd round and an extra 3rd rounder to do some damage with!

I'm pretty sure if Dallas made that trade I would be happy with Lynch #1, defense with both 2nd rounders, and get a RB with one of our 3rd rounders. Solid!
BassCowboy33
Lets just put it this way:

Dallas is committed to their offensive line. Over the next few years, they will have to commit an ungodly amount of the cap to keep Frederick and Martin here. There is a good possibility that Collins will have to be locked up at a large amount as well should he continue progressing. Now, when that happens, you won't have the cash to go out and spend on certain positions.

So, let's say Dallas takes Elliott at #4. He has some stellar years. Woohoo!! Awesome!! Now he becomes a free agent. Do you really think Dallas will resign him? This franchise has made it abundantly clear what they think of running backs. Now, all of sudden, you realize you used a #4 pick on a guy who isn't going to be around after his initial deal. The question then becomes how worthwhile was it to chase the dragon? As Mel Kiper said earlier this week, if Dallas can trade down and find some way to parlay that #4 into Elliott and more picks, then it becomes something you can live with, but spending your best draft position in decades on a guy who won't be here half a decade from now isn't a savvy long term move for the franchise. If Dallas won't spend to keep the NFL's leading rusher, they sure as heck won't spend to keep the next guy in line.

It's nothing against Elliott, but more of value at a position that has been increasingly devalued over the years.
Macarthur
I saw rumors on twitter that Dallas was talking to KC about J. Charles.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I saw rumors on twitter that Dallas was talking to KC about J. Charles.

unless KC is giving him away he's got too many miles on to give up anything substantial.

they just signed the Butler too so along with McFadden and Dunbar why bring in another veteran? if you absolutely must add an RB make it a young one via draft.
BMX Bandit
If you sign both those linemen, a QB, Jones....you may not be able so sign whoever the pick is to second deal
PooDoo
AG
quote:

Dallas is committed to their offensive line. Over the next few years, they will have to commit an ungodly amount of the cap to keep Frederick and Martin here. There is a good possibility that Collins will have to be locked up at a large amount as well should he continue progressing. Now, when that happens, you won't have the cash to go out and spend on certain positions.

That's what I said in this post that's why I thought Tunsil should be a consideration so you'd have the flexibility to trade Martin before he becomes a F/A and breaks the bank. Cowboys can't keep letting players walk during free agency. If you can't lock them up long term TRADE THEM! That's what I miss the most about Jimmy.

Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:

That's what I said in this post that's why I thought Tunsil should be a consideration so you'd have the flexibility to trade Martin before he becomes a F/A and breaks the bank. Cowboys can't keep letting players walk during free agency. If you can't lock them up long term TRADE THEM! That's what I miss the most about Jimmy.

Does someone wanna tell him? Please tell him.
RedlineAg08
Idk what you want me to tell him, but there is no trading Martin imo.
BMX Bandit
Maybe my memory is cloudy, but didn't Jimmy lose plenty of guys to free agency?
BassCowboy33
quote:

Jimmy got out right before implementation of the salary cap. The cap was introduced in '94. Guys like James Washington, Mark Stepnoski, Larry Brown, Kevin Gogan, Alvin Harper, and Brock Marion all benefited hugely from that introduction.
PooDoo
AG
Yes Jimmy was coach before current free agency & salary cap.

He lost Jack DelRio to the Vikings because he didn't want to match their offer & knew he was replaceable.

I wasn't clear in my post. I miss the way Jimmy handled the roster & wouldn't marry every player with talent.
RedbeardAG
AG
With the amount of money in football now...can you imagine if there was no cap? Jerry is willing to drop 1.5 bill on a stadium..team would be staaaaacked
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:

Jimmy got out right before implementation of the salary cap. The cap was introduced in '94. Guys like James Washington, Mark Stepnoski, Larry Brown, Kevin Gogan, Alvin Harper, and Brock Marion all benefited hugely from that introduction.
jr15aggie
AG
Broaddus has Zeke #2 on his board. Jack is number one (he didn't drop him because of the injury but acknowledges he won't go high because of it).

Not that I needed convincing to take Zeke, but dang! High praise for sure. Interestingly enough his top rated QB is lynch.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Broaddus has Zeke #2 on his board. Jack is number one (he didn't drop him because of the injury but acknowledges he won't go high because of it).

Not that I needed convincing to take Zeke, but dang! High praise for sure. Interestingly enough his top rated QB is lynch.

One of those interesting scenarios people mention is the idea of Dallas trading down in the first to the 7-11 range, then trading back in to first round of Lynch is still on the board after 20. Food for thought.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.