****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,436 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
corleoneAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good timing...PFF just sent out their top 10 from day 2 of Senior Bowl practice and guess who was #1?

Braxton.
BassCowboy33
He's such a wild card. A Randle El / Brad Smith type. If he's around in the 3rd round, I wouldn't be opposed to Dallas taking him on as a project receiver.
BassCowboy33
Fox Sports Mock - Dallas Takes Goff
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Using a top 5 pick on a 3rd stringer is nuts. If that's the plan, wait until the 2nd round and get a developmental guy like Prescott or whoever.

What if the 2nd round guy can't play?

What if your top 5 pick can't play?

Unfortunately, this is a QB driven league. If you don't take any risks, you can't complain about not getting any rewards. And taking any QB, no matter what anyone says, is a risk. Cam Newton is a great example of that. If you'd have put him with this year's crop of quarterbacks, there's is no way I'd say he was the best, but the guy has grown and been molded into a fantastic NFL QB. He definitely proved me wrong.
I disagree a little bit about your Cam assessment and memory.

No question, a lot people thought he wasn't even a first round pick and no way #1 overall. But some people were saying he was a sure fire #1 overall pick.

I don't see anyone in this class calling any of these QBs worthy of #1 overall. So I think he'd be rated over all of the QBs this year.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:
Using a top 5 pick on a 3rd stringer is nuts. If that's the plan, wait until the 2nd round and get a developmental guy like Prescott or whoever.

You can't draft scared. If you evaluate a guy at the QB position, and you think he can lead your franchise for a decade, you take him. If you're scared of busting, chances are you're going to suck for a decade.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:
I like Wentz a lot, but don't see Dallas drafting him or any other QB in the 1st. They have too much invested in Romo and want to try to win a Super Bowl with him.

The problem with this is that the evidence is showing us that Tony can't be counted on for 15 or 16 games.

I really think that if Goff or Wentz are there at 4, it is irresponsible to not take them. You are not going to do jack in this league without a QB.

I know Romo is unlikely to start 16 games each of the next 2-3 seasons. But I also think the "Romo is unreliable" narrative is a bit overdone. I'm guessing the Cowboys see things that way too.

Games played by Romo:

2015: 4
2014: 15
2013: 15
2012: 16
2011: 16
2010: 6
2009: 16
2008:13
2007:16
2006: 16

He's not as injury prone (in the sense that he misses a bunch of games) as a lot of people think.

I agree with you regarding the big picture. I just think that we're talking about a guy that is 36 and even if he plays 15 or 16 games in the next two years, what do you do for a QB after that? And I would venture to say that if he plays 15 or 16 games the next two years, you won't be picking this high.

I just really think you have an opportunity here to capitalize on a poor season.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately, this is a QB driven league. If you don't take any risks, you can't complain about not getting any rewards. And taking any QB, no matter what anyone says, is a risk. Cam Newton is a great example of that. If you'd have put him with this year's crop of quarterbacks, there's is no way I'd say he was the best, but the guy has grown and been molded into a fantastic NFL QB. He definitely proved me wrong.
I disagree a little bit about your Cam assessment and memory.

No question, a lot people thought he wasn't even a first round pick and no way #1 overall. But some people were saying he was a sure fire #1 overall pick.

I don't see anyone in this class calling any of these QBs worthy of #1 overall. So I think he'd be rated over all of the QBs this year.

Again, you're misunderstanding me. He was the unanimous #1. That doesn't mean that he didn't have serious issues and most scouts were split on whether or not he'd be any good. There were a lot more question marks around Cam then there are these three. These three guys are prototypical NFL quarterbacks with size, arm strength, and pocket presence. What I am getting at is picking at the people saying, "It's too big of a risk" when on TV every Sunday you see the fruits of those risks and the trials of the teams that fail to take them.
corleoneAg99
AG
Noah Spence is a name that has popped up every day this week. Another FCS guy looking like the best edge guy at the Senior Bowl.
RedlineAg08
He was a 5star out of HS. Was committed to Penn State and flipped to OSU when Urban became the coach. Raised quite a stink the the BIG because "Coaches have a secret agreement that they don't recruit H.S. kids once they commit to another BIG school" Urban laughed at that.

Think he got kicked off the team for some reason. He played quite a bit as a freshman and did well if I remember correctly.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Spence has apparently looked like a total beast out there .

However apparently he's also a guy that very much needs to be in the right situation. He's considered unstable behavior wise, often gets into with teammates, and has been known to not be very pleasant to be around.

If you're a young impressionable team, he's probably not the guy for you. But if you have a team that's had some success, with veterans who can keep a guy like this in check then he might be a steal.
PooDoo
AG
Chad Reuter posted his 4 round mock draft... here

Rounds:
1: Carson Wentz
2: Derrick Henry
3: Austin Johnson DT Penn St
4: James Cowser DE S Utah

And Germain Ifedi is the only Ag making the list.

Don't like taking Wentz with the 4th. Too big of a gamble. I don't mind Henry in the 2nd but if that's the case we better go defense in the 1st or big in free agency.
BassCowboy33
quote:

Rounds:

Don't like taking Wentz with the 4th. Too big of a gamble. I don't mind Henry in the 2nd but if that's the case we better go defense in the 1st or big in free agency.

Taking a quarterback in the first is always a gamble. It's the ultimate risk/reward in football. You don't take the risk, don't complain if you don't get rewarded. You can have the greatest defense around, but without a QB it's moot. Dallas needs to find its next QB or there will be a repeat of 2000-2006.

Look at Carolina. They took that risk with a quarterback who had character issues, poor accuracy, and had never had to read a defense. Now they're in the Super Bowl.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

Rounds:

Taking a quarterback in the first is always a gamble. It's the ultimate risk/reward in football. You don't take the risk, don't complain if you don't get rewarded. You can have the greatest defense around, but without a QB it's moot. Dallas needs to find its next QB or there will be a repeat of 2000-2006.

Look at Carolina. They took that risk with a quarterback who had character issues, poor accuracy, and had never had to read a defense. Now they're in the Super Bowl.
I think comparing the Cowboys situation with Carolina's is apples and oranges... Carolina had no options at QB, drafting Cam was a no brainer. If we draft Wentz I'm afraid he'll be our Jimmy Clausen. But at least the Panthers only wasted a 2nd rounder on him.

The time for drafting Romo's replacement has past. Jerry let it ride on Romo and the only choice now is to go for broke the next 2 years while Romo's "championship window" closes. Romo's replacement should've been drafted 2-3 years ago. This year we would be drafting Romo's replacements' replacement.

Goff is the only QB that I've seen so far that I would rate as a possible Romo replacement. If the Cowboys like him I think we could trade up with the Titans or the Browns.

I'm in LOVE with Ezekiel Elliott. He runs tough, fast, quick, with instincts, and he's a great pass blocker. Day 1 starter and would probably finish in the top 3 rushing leaders

I think he'll be on the board until 9 with the Bucs or 10 with the Giants. I think if Goff and Bosa are gone we try to trade down with the 49ers, Dolphins, or Bucs who might be interested in Wentz or Ramsey.

Give me the "greatest defense" around, this o-line, and a difference maker at RB, and I'll give you play-off wins.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Rounds:

I think comparing the Cowboys situation with Carolina's is apples and oranges... Carolina had no options at QB, drafting Cam was a no brainer. If we draft Wentz I'm afraid he'll be our Jimmy Clausen. But at least the Panthers only wasted a 2nd rounder on him.

The time for drafting Romo's replacement has past. Jerry let it ride on Romo and the only choice now is to go for broke the next 2 years while Romo's "championship window" closes. Romo's replacement should've been drafted 2-3 years ago. This year we would be drafting Romo's replacements' replacement.

Goff is the only QB that I've seen so far that I would rate as a possible Romo replacement. If the Cowboys like him I think we could trade up with the Titans or the Browns.

I'm in LOVE with Ezekiel Elliott. He runs tough, fast, quick, with instincts, and he's a great pass blocker. Day 1 starter and would probably finish in the top 3 rushing leaders

I think he'll be on the board until 9 with the Bucs or 10 with the Giants. I think if Goff and Bosa are gone we try to trade down with the 49ers, Dolphins, or Bucs who might be interested in Wentz or Ramsey.

Give me the "greatest defense" around, this o-line, and a difference maker at RB, and I'll give you play-off wins.

1) Anyone who watched Clausen in college knew that he wasn't any good. It amazes me that people can watch mediocre passing quarterbacks like Clausen, Prescott, and Hackenberg and somehow think that that will somehow work in the NFL.

The reason people are so high on the three guys this season is their size (Lynch, Wentz), accuracy (Wentz, Goff), arm strength (Wentz, Goff, Lynch), and footwork (Goff, Wentz).

For Dallas, continually neglecting their biggest need is the equivalent of the political "kicking the can down the road" issue. The more we pretend it doesn't exist, the better off we will be.

2) Dallas might trade down for Elliott, but it's more likely to just snag Alabama Boy in the 2nd. Plus, the way Elliott publicly treated his own coaching staff doesn't sit well with me.

3) You know as well as I that this city isn't satisfied with "playoff wins". Look at The 80's for heaven's sake. Danny White is loathed in this town and he went to three straight NFC title games. Dallas wants "Super Bowl wins". Nothing else will suffice. History shows that time and time and time again that unless you're the turn-of-the-century Ravens, the modern NFL is built around the quarterback position.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
quote:

Rounds:

Denver is a MUCH better comparison. They had an aging QB coming off a much more serious injury than Romo is now. So they drafted Von and used a later pick on a QB. Which is what I expect the Cowboys to do as well.
BMX Bandit
quote:
Denver is a MUCH better comparison. They had an aging QB coming off a much more serious injury than Romo is now. So they drafted Von and used a later pick on a QB. Which is what I expect the Cowboys to do as well.
Who was the aging QB? Kyle Orton?
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Rounds:

You also have to realize that Denver benched that QB (Osweiler) late in the season and there is no guarantee that they'll resign him this offseason. If I had to guess, they might try a two year deal, but Elway will not offer a long term deal to a guy who threw for 2,000 yards, 86 rating, and a 1.8 TD/INT ratio.

Honestly, Denver is in a giant conundrum right now with their quarterback position. As mentioned above, I bet they give Osweiler another chance to prove himself, then go a different direction.

On the flip side, if you're Osweiler, you might try and cash in with another team. The Rams, Eagles, and Texans all might be willing to offer more, especially since Denver is burdened by the cap more than these teams.
Ryan34
AG
My years are off a bit, but they still didn't use their top pick on a QB after getting Peyton.
Ryan34
AG
Denver will resign Osweiler.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Denver will resign Osweiler.

I imagine so, unless someone else just throws money at him. Just don't expect it to be an overly large deal.
Macarthur
I also think Elliot will be a superstar. I would not be sad about that pick, but I still am very afraid of delaying this issue and we are stuck on the 8-8 treadmill again and in no position to get an impact QB.
PooDoo
AG

quote:
2) Dallas might trade down for Elliott, but it's more likely to just snag Alabama Boy in the 2nd. Plus, the way Elliott publicly treated his own coaching staff doesn't sit well with me.

I'd LOVE to have Elliott call out Garrett in the same situation. Only giving him 12 carries against the Spartans cost them a shot to defend their NC.

quote:
3) You know as well as I that this city isn't satisfied with "playoff wins". Look at The 80's for heaven's sake. Danny White is loathed in this town and he went to three straight NFC title games. Dallas wants "Super Bowl wins". Nothing else will suffice. History shows that time and time and time again that unless you're the turn-of-the-century Ravens, the modern NFL is built around the quarterback position.
Who gives an F what the city wants? You've got to start somewhere!

PooDoo
AG
quote:
I also think Elliot will be a superstar. I would not be sad about that pick, but I still am very afraid of delaying this issue and we are stuck on the 8-8 treadmill again and in no position to get an impact QB.
That's why you have to focus in on one QB. Because it's rare to find an entire draft with more than one long term starter much less a franchise/playoff winning QB.

If you aren't sure that he's the one don't draft him!

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb
BassCowboy33
quote:

quote:

I'd LOVE to have Elliott call out Garrett in the same situation. Only giving him 12 carries against the Spartans cost them a shot to defend their NC.

quote:

It should also be noted that it's much easier to find impact running backs in later rounds than it is to find impact quarterbacks in later rounds.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

It should also be noted that it's much easier to find impact running backs in later rounds than it is to find impact quarterbacks in later rounds.

True, but I really think Elliot will be a superstar.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

That's why i listed this as a senario if my impact QB was already drafted.
corleoneAg99
AG
Latest PFF mock had Dallas getting Ramsey...Goff at 2 and Wentz falling to the middle of the round being taken by NYJ.

PooDoo
AG
If Garrett and Jones thinks Goff is the real deal I wonder what the Titans would take to drop to 4?

Also, anyone hear anything about Chaz Green?
BassCowboy33
quote:
Latest PFF mock had Dallas getting Ramsey...Goff at 2 and Wentz falling to the middle of the round being taken by NYJ.

Of the non-quarterbacks, this is the pick that I could stomach.

CBS Sports has Wentz to Cleveland in their latest mock and Dallas taking Jack. I pray to the football gods that Dallas doesn't used a high pick on injury plagued linebackers. I also find it hard to believe Dallas would pass on Goff if he falls to #4.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Id be elated with Jack or Ramsey.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Id be elated with Jack or Ramsey.

Dallas is probably looking to avoid another Sean Lee scenario.
PooDoo
AG
I'm not sure if Ramsey fits the defense. He's big and fast but a little stiff changing direction. His film looks no where near the film I've seen of most top 5-10 DB's in previous drafts.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I'm not sure if Ramsey fits the defense. He's big and fast but a little stiff changing direction. His film looks no where near the film I've seen of most top 5-10 DB's in previous drafts.

I believe these were the same criticisms of Byron Jones. Scouts were concerned about his ability to change direction.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

Of the non-quarterbacks, this is the pick that I could stomach.

CBS Sports has Wentz to Cleveland in their latest mock and Dallas taking Jack. I pray to the football gods that Dallas doesn't used a high pick on injury plagued linebackers. I also find it hard to believe Dallas would pass on Goff if he falls to #4.
I saw that and I think it's nuts that wentz lasts that long. No way.
corleoneAg99
AG
Ramsey's a stud with good skills and position flex...he's a fit for any system.

As for Jack, I think he'd be a fine pick and doesn't seem to be injury prone like Sean Lee. He and Jaylon Smith would be top 5-10 locks if not for the injuries they had. Still it doesn't seem like Jerry takes a LB that high.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.