****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,006 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Ryan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NDSU isn't a spread team. They run the ball and dominate time of possession. Then run a lot of play action and rollouts. Sure they will spread the field at times, but it's not the core of their offense.
corleoneAg99
AG
Lots of zone read and or three wide. They were multiple for sure but he's not coming out as a pure pro style. However his multi read skills seem on par with Goff. And he's going to kill the combine. Too many scouts like the skillset to keep worrying much about the comp he faced.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I take Wenz or Goff at 4 and don't look back.
gigem1223
Ian Rappaport reporting that Murray and Eagles are in disagreements and possibly done. Could we possibly see a reunion next season?
PatAg
AG
quote:
I take Wenz or Goff at 4 and don't look back.
I'm ok with those 2, but not lynch. I was hoping the hype train would keep going on Wentz, and we could steal Goff at 4.
PatAg
AG
quote:
Ian Rappaport reporting that Murray and Eagles are in disagreements and possibly done. Could we possibly see a reunion next season?
If he is willing to take the deal we offered, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
If he is willing to take the deal we offered, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If Murray comes back, which is somewhat unlikely, it'll be interesting what the team does with Lance Dunbar in FA seeing as how he was their best offensive weapon until his injury. If they do bring Dunbar back, then Turbin is out.
PooDoo
AG
If they bring Lance Dunbar back I might blow a gasket!

I don't see how Jalen Ramsey can be a consideration at #4. Not for this team. No matter what position we take he needs to be a playmaker. Ramsey has 3 CAREER interceptions.

There is no excuse for that total especially with the quality pass rushers playing in front of him.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
If they bring Lance Dunbar back I might blow a gasket!
you don't want him back? he did pretty much whatever he's been asked to do here. in his limited action he was a great outlet for Romo to dump the ball to.

I'd take him back.

as for Murray, he's got another year on himself now. i'd be interested in bringing him back, but not willing to overpay.

having a RB rotation of Murray, McFadden, and Dunbar in 2016 would be pretty decent and keep us from having to be desperate to fill that area in the first 3 -4 rounds.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Were you referring to Joseph Randle vs Dunbar as far as blowing a gasket if he's back? Dunbar was a very good weapon that offers a threat in the passing game , and he seems to be a good dude. No idea why someone wouldn't want him back other than they have no idea which RB they are talking about.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Were you referring to Joseph Randle vs Dunbar as far as blowing a gasket if he's back? Dunbar was a very good weapon that offers a threat in the passing game , and he seems to be a good dude. No idea why someone wouldn't want him back other than they have no idea which RB they are talking about.

I believe at the time of his injury he was leading the team in all purpose yards.
PooDoo
AG
Fine, waste another roster spot on a guy that consistently gets injured & turns over the ball.

It's time to move on from Dunbar. I know who I'm talking about.

Is the Murray you are talking about Demarco?
BassCowboy33
quote:
Fine, waste another roster spot on a guy that consistently gets injured & turns over the ball.

It's time to move on from Dunbar.

Right, because we'll just have to break the bank to keep him. And seriously, who needs running backs that can catch passes out of the backfield and make plays with their feet? If we've learned anything over the years, it's that the forward pass is an archaic concept. And to a running back no less!! Those gangster juke moves and breakaway speed have no place in today's game!! It's three yards and a cloud of dust for me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
God forbid we have to give up one minimum salary backup like Turbin to keep a different minimum salary backup like Dunbar.
PooDoo
AG
Because you are going to have to replace him with leftovers after he gets hurt.

You guys think RB's are a dime a dozen or grow on trees... There's got to be a better option, right?
BassCowboy33
quote:
Because you are going to have to replace him with leftovers after he gets hurt.

You guys think RB's are a dime a dozen or grow on trees... There's got to be a better option, right?

Statistically speaking, yes, they are. Running back is probably the most superfluous position in each draft and good ones are available well into rounds 4-5 and oftentimes later. The Cowboys just had a back go for the second most 100+ yard games of any back in the league after not starting for nearly the entire first half of the season. Where did they get him? The scrap heap. Not to mention that Dallas had a top 10 rushing attack in the NFL with a McFadden/Randle/Dunbar/Turbin/Michael backfield. Imagine what they could do with a bruiser (Henry), a solid backup (McFadden), and a multi-use threat (Dunbar)?
PooDoo
AG
If you think you need a multi use threat you need to find one before the season starts. Dunbar won't make it through the season and then you are stick with cast offs.
Macarthur
Saw on a fan site that someone 'in the know' seems to think Dallas has Ramsey #1 on their board.

I don't know if he's that good, but I do know that great safety play can take a defense from good to elite. Seattle, Pitt (back in the day), Balt. All those teams have fantastic safety play.

I wouldn't be too upset with Ramsey in the first and get a stud at the 1 tec in the 2nd.
RedlineAg08
Do they like him at safety or corner? Can he play the SS role because I thought BJones had the other spot wrapped up?

I dont care, i'd like the pick and love it if they got a good nose in the 2nd
BassCowboy33
quote:
Saw on a fan site that someone 'in the know' seems to think Dallas has Ramsey #1 on their board.

I don't know if he's that good, but I do know that great safety play can take a defense from good to elite. Seattle, Pitt (back in the day), Balt. All those teams have fantastic safety play.

I wouldn't be too upset with Ramsey in the first and get a stud at the 1 tec in the 2nd.

Ramsey is big. Ramsey is fast. He's probably the best non quarterback option for Dallas at this point and fills arguably its biggest need outside the QB position.

With NT's, you have to find one that fits the 4-3 scheme. Those types are historically available in mid rounds. If Henry is available in round two, I doubt Dallas would pass up a big running back. If they did, they'd probably be looking for someone like Williams or Collins in the 4th-5th Rounds.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Im totally fine w Ramsey at 4. Would be even more fine w him at like 7 after a trade down to get an extra 3rd.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Im totally fine w Ramsey at 4. Would be even more fine w him at like 7 after a trade down to get an extra 3rd.

Trading from #4 to #7 would need to be a #2 at the least. That high in the draft, spots are worth more. The Redskins gave up three first round picks to move from #6 to #2.
Macarthur
quote:
Do they like him at safety or corner? Can he play the SS role because I thought BJones had the other spot wrapped up?

I dont care, i'd like the pick and love it if they got a good nose in the 2nd

That's a good question. I don't think he's a SS. I think he's a pure FS that can play CB depending on the matchup. I know what you are getting at, it does seem that JOnes and Ramsey might be one in the same, but I think as much teams pass now, I think you can always find ways to use both of them. Then you can let Church and Wilcox battle it out for SS.

I could really see Church playing more of a LB/SS hybrid in nickle and dime. B Jones is coving TEs, scandrick in the slot and Ramsey at FS.
RedlineAg08
if thats the thought then I hope they go a different direction. Thats too much value at 1 position. You camt spend 2 first round picks, 1 being a top 5 on the same position.

If they want to transition jones back to CB thats a different story, but I also think that the defensive system they run now wont be one they stick with long term. I think its been adopted to help mask defesive ineffeciencies until they can build stout defense thru the draft.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i like Ramsey but the other option is signing a FA at Safety who can come in and not have a learning curve at all.

You line that FA and Jones up at Safeties, keep Church and Wilcox on the bench until you need em (you are not winning any super bowls if those are your starting safeties btw).

This would then obviously leave the situation at CB very much up in the air but it is anyway to some degree.

Scandrick - Coming off major surgery/rehab
Carr - Lotsa chatter he'll be a cap casualty (perhaps a renegotiation of contract is in store)
Claiborne - Finally showed a bit last year but imho not enough to warrant a big payday. I think some dumbass team will step up and give him a fatass contract and he'll walk.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Claiborne - Finally showed a bit last year but imho not enough to warrant a big payday. I think some dumbass team will step up and give him a fatass contract and he'll walk.
And probably turn out to be amazing like most of the guys we let go...
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

Trading from #4 to #7 would need to be a #2 at the least. That high in the draft, spots are worth more. The Redskins gave up three first round picks to move from #6 to #2.

If one of the QB's is there at 4 Jerry could have a bidding war on his hands. Trading down but inside the top 10 should get us their 1st & 2nd this year according to the pick value chart but Jerry ought to be able to get more.

BassCowboy33
quote:
i like Ramsey but the other option is signing a FA at Safety who can come in and not have a learning curve at all.

You line that FA and Jones up at Safeties, keep Church and Wilcox on the bench until you need em (you are not winning any super bowls if those are your starting safeties btw).

This would then obviously leave the situation at CB very much up in the air but it is anyway to some degree.

Scandrick - Coming off major surgery/rehab
Carr - Lotsa chatter he'll be a cap casualty (perhaps a renegotiation of contract is in store)

If it comes to it, Claiborne will be cheap.

Carr is actually a bigger cap casualty if cut and he's already refused negotiation once. He's not a bad corner, just not worth what he's getting paid. Dallas really can't afford to let him leave personnel wise.
Macarthur
If Claiborne comes at a good price, it would not be an awful resign.

And I get the point about two top picks at S. I'm on record saying that I would prefer the QB if they think one of those guys are the future. If they think those guys aren't the one, I say go hard on the DL just like we did with the OL. Try to build the best DL and OL we can and take our chances.

I'd like to get everyone's take on Bosa. I'm reading some diff stuff on him. Some are saying he's Jared Allen and some are saying he's more Chris Long. I think he's a guy with a high floor, but there seems to be some debate on how high his ceiling will be.
corleoneAg99
AG
From a pure pass rush perspective Kiper thinks he and Spence are the best of the first round draft grade DL.

Bosa is better against the run based on tape and is scheme/position versatile. He's a no doubt take at 4 but probably not there. And I don't think Buckner is the guy either if SD doesn't take him so that will more than likely leave Ramsey, Tunsil, Jack, and Treadwell as the highest graded guys on the board when they pick.

Assuming CLE takes Goff that is.

Anyway, I'd agree the take on Bosa varies but his floor is really high. Probably why he goes 1 unless TEN trades out.
Macarthur
Man, if he's more Chris Long, I would not say he's a sure fire take at 4.
corleoneAg99
AG
Unless something catastrophic happens he will have the highest grade of anyone in the class.

And according to some he was the highest graded guy last year, too.

He's a sure fire take at 4. You run up there to make that pick.

Just not very likely he's there, though.
RedlineAg08
Im on the fence with him. He's got superstar potential and I'm not sure that i'd be unsatisfied with chris long. He was good for a few years...

I just think DT is easier to grade out and there are some good ones at the top of the draft. Let's bot be decieved by the position, Robinson or Nkemdiche would either get sacks themselves or create sacks for others.. I know Nkemdiche is more a 3-tech.. The dude could even olay SDE.. He's strong and athletic enough to play any of 3 positions up front. Its just a character thing.
corleoneAg99
AG
DT is the deepest position in the draft this year and they clearly don't value 1 techs highly. You could easily get a day 1 DT at their pick in the second.
BassCowboy33
quote:
DT is the deepest position in the draft this year and they clearly don't value 1 techs highly. You could easily get a day 1 DT at their pick in the second.

I would argue even later. DT, WR, LB, and RB all have great late round value. This year's crop of QBs is deep at the top and the draft is strong at cornerback as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.