****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

206,998 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
If he's the generational player they think he is it will probably be better to be able to negotiate his 2nd before he's in his prime. They have the franchise tag if they need it.

But the problem is leverage. In four years we will have to franchise Smith to get any leverage at all. At that same time, everyone else in this draft except Elliot will also be up for another contract. Byron Jones will be coming off his 5th year option if we don't work out a long-term deal. If we franchise any of our 2015 draft picks, then we can't franchise them a second time.

Due to the 5th year option, you will always have less leverage with a non-1st round pick. Again, picking a guy who can't play for a year makes it extremely difficult to justify a 2nd round pick, and it almost guarantees that you are paying market value on his second contract as you have no leverage. In the cap era, you need good players on their rookie contracts, and veteran players who play better than their cap number. It will be very difficult for Smith to do either. Not impossible, but I'm not holding my breath.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
If he's the generational player they think he is it will probably be better to be able to negotiate his 2nd before he's in his prime. They have the franchise tag if they need it.

But the problem is leverage. In four years we will have to franchise Smith to get any leverage at all. At that same time, everyone else in this draft except Elliot will also be up for another contract. Byron Jones will be coming off his 5th year option if we don't work out a long-term deal. If we franchise any of our 2015 draft picks, then we can't franchise them a second time.

Due to the 5th year option, you will always have less leverage with a non-1st round pick. Again, picking a guy who can't play for a year makes it extremely difficult to justify a 2nd round pick, and it almost guarantees that you are paying market value on his second contract as you have no leverage. In the cap era, you need good players on their rookie contracts, and veteran players who play better than their cap number. It will be very difficult for Smith to do either. Not impossible, but I'm not holding my breath.

Is there some rule that states that you can't franchise someone twice off there first contract? Dallas franchised Anthony Spencer twice, but I can't remember if that was off his rookie deal.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I think you can, but my point was that using the franchise on Smith prevents you from using it on anyone else. I was using those guys as an example. If Demarcus Lawrence does really well, then we might franchise him in 3 years and consider franchising him again the next year. That second franchise tag would be the same year that Smith is up for a new contract, and you couldn't use it on both of them (or anyone else with an expiring contract).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Keep in mind that the first franchise makes them a top 5 paid player for their position (average of the top 5, so basically top 2-3), and then to tag them a 2nd time, you have to give them a 20% raise on top of that. Hard to manage that with the cap.
RedlineAg08
I do like the Tapper pick though. It's the only pick I'm truly excited about, but I think that was a great pick.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm hoping they have to use the franchise tag on Dak Prescott in 4 years instead of Smtih, because Dak has stepped in for Romo and is doing awesome.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I'm hoping they have to use the franchise tag on Dak Prescott in 4 years instead of Smtih, because Dak has stepped in for Romo and is doing awesome.

Right! I'm not counting on him being much more than a bridge or backup type player, but you never know. Maybe he can turn into Dante Culpeper.
BassCowboy33
Cowboys announcing today that Kellen Moore will be the backup heading into the season.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Cowboys announcing today that Kellen Moore will be the backup heading into the season.
knowing the Jones family they are probably expecting Rod Marinelli to coach him up.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Doesn't matter. Any QB can run Garrett's system.
PooDoo
AG
Smith doesn't seem like the type of guy that would hold a team hostage but you never know.

I was more impressed with Jack's film at linebacker anyway. I guess Smith has the ability to play the run, pass & rush the passer which is rare... they are hoping for a bigger Derrick Brooks or Lance Briggs I guess. Hope they are right.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hopefully he can hobble his Norm Hitzges drop foot down the field quickly enough to make tackles and cover people
TheCougarHunter
AG
Anyone else excited about Ed Eagan? Dude is a straight baller. A very wes Welker type receiver. Runs a 4.32 and very shifty.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Anyone else excited about Ed Eagan? Dude is a straight baller. A very wes Welker type receiver. Runs a 4.32 and very shifty.

Sounds like a character from a Poe story.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Cowboys also announced that they are crossing their fingers that Romo doesn't get hurt, but if he does they feel confident Moore will suck enough to get them a draft pick where they can get a real QB!
jr15aggie
AG

Check out the play at the :10 mark. Who is that D-lineman that chases down Cooper!
PooDoo
AG
Anybody hear Jaylen Smith interviewed on 105.3? I had to get out of the car before it started.
Macarthur
http://www.endzonescore.com/nfl-executive-believes-the-dallas-cowboys-are-super-bowl-bound/38447
Reginald Cousins
S
http://www.inquisitr.com/3067776/dallas-cowboys-rumors-jaylon-smith-could-return-for-nfl-playoffs/
PooDoo
AG
Goldie Wilson
quote:
http://www.inquisitr.com/3067776/dallas-cowboys-rumors-jaylon-smith-could-return-for-nfl-playoffs/
insert Jim Mora picture here
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:

Zeke?
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
Do we need to go with the "Anonymous NFL GM says Cowboys are Super Bowl caliber team" article?
RedlineAg08
Was hoping he would let us in on who it was . I thought it was Byron Jones
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Can only have one... if him he looks a little leaner than I thought in college... maybe lack of pads/lower back protection... Angle of picture probably isn't flattering either. Calves look scrong doe.

BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:

They are projected to win the NFc east
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Another exec, as stated above, has said this team can go to the big show easily.
RedlineAg08
That's why I thought it may be Byron Jones # 31, but that's definitely a 2 and not a 3.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Look at those calves
PooDoo
AG
quote:

I thought since he didn't have a star on his helmet with ELLIOTT taped on the front that it was obvious.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:

I thought since he didn't have a star on his helmet with ELLIOTT taped on the front that it was obvious.

Meh. Minor details.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Another exec, as stated above, has said this team can go to the big show easily.

To be fair, this team has had that potential for quite awhile.

The 06' team had the dropped snap. Dallas would've been a brutal matchup for Chicago the next week.

The 07' team had Patrick Crayton's drops.

I mean, the Giants won Super Bowls with nine win teams, so it's easily possible.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Just don't see this defense having the personnel to win a title.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:

Outscore. Control clock.

It's the opposite of what the Broncos did this year. It's been done before. Will be done again.

A lesser team was almost to NFC Championship in 14. Let's not lose sight of that. You've added Lael Collins. Ezekial Elliot. We have great RB depth. Butler may be the surprise of the season and like the idea of another big guy with speed. If Romo makes it through, anything could happen.

Read an article earlier that suggested we were doing something Teams are not geared for, being run heavy in a passing league. It's rough on defenses that have adjusted to current trends.
PooDoo
AG
quote:

They can't go 4-12 to winning a title but this defense is better than the one that almost beat the Packers in the playoffs. Keep Romo healthy & make the playoffs... Keep getting better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.