****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,469 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tomorrow will be the meat. This is where we find out just how high these quarterbacks will go.
BassCowboy33
Goff clocks a 4.83 40. Faster than most expected for a pocket passer
Macarthur
quote:
NFL.com is reporting that Jaylon Smith's knee injury will cause him to miss the entire 2016 season. Another reason to stay away from these wounded linebackers.

Also, Alex Collins ran a 4.6 and struggled to catch passes. He might fall to the middle rounds.

It will be interesting to see where smith goes. If he's still there in the third, do you take him knowing you will get nothing in 2016?
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
NFL.com is reporting that Jaylon Smith's knee injury will cause him to miss the entire 2016 season. Another reason to stay away from these wounded linebackers.

Also, Alex Collins ran a 4.6 and struggled to catch passes. He might fall to the middle rounds.

It will be interesting to see where smith goes. If he's still there in the third, do you take him knowing you will get nothing in 2016?

I'd use one of my 4th Round picks, but not a top three pick. History shows the backers with knee issues in college will have knee issues in the pros.
corleoneAg99
AG
Jaylon's medicals came back worse than people expected...mocks had him as a potential top 10 heading into combine but now it's really iffy. Read someone compare his road back to Lattimore which is pretty sad to hear.

Luckily for him he'll be able to cash in a 5 mill insurance policy and then probably go to a good team who can afford to stash him.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Jaylon's medicals came back worse than people expected...mocks had him as a potential top 10 heading into combine but now it's really iffy. Read someone compare his road back to Lattimore which is pretty sad to hear.

Luckily for him he'll be able to cash in a 5 mill insurance policy and then probably go to a good team who can afford to stash him.

Right, but this is exactly why some of us have been campaigning to stay away from injury plagued linebackers as first round picks.
corleoneAg99
AG
As ive said im on board with Sturms thoughts around first round LB's; its the RB position of the defense.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd use one of my 4th Round picks, but not a top three pick. History shows the backers with knee issues in college will have knee issues in the pros.

Yeah, I think you're right.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Watching the combine. Evaluating qb's while they make one throw and then go stand in line and wait for 15 other qb's to take their turn is moronic.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Watching the combine. Evaluating qb's while they make one throw and then go stand in line and wait for 15 other qb's to take their turn is moronic.

It's definitely frustrating.
. . .

quote:
Tony Romo leaning toward having plate inserted to strengthen collarbone https://t.co/opdGEh0qLT

Jerry Jones disappointed in Randy Gregory, but was aware of situation they were facing when drafted him, "it's embarrassing for everybody."

Jerry Jones says Cowboys bus has been busy this week talking to agents of players about to become free agents

Jerry Jones: There's no angst on our part in regards to what Romo decides to do w/ collarbone. Jones still expects Romo to QB 4-5 more years

Jerry Jones: I think Tony Romo will be our quarterback for the next 4-5 years and we'll operate accordingly

Jerry Jones felt very good about last year's roster on paper. Had some surprising circumstances (Romo/Dez injuries). No plans of rebuilding

Jerry Jones said he doesn't know yet if there's a QB in this draft worthy of the fourth overall pick

Jerry Jones: There's no question in my mind, Kellen Moore can win games in the NFL

Jerry Jones is still completely behind Jason Garrett. Says he's built for these situations. "Nobody is rooting for him more than I am."

Jerry Jones very confident they can get RB to go along with McFadden. Finding a good RB option won't be nearly as tough as upgrading defense

Jerry Jones "very, very" sad to see what has happened with Joseph Randle

Rolando McClain recently called a Cowboys coach asking if there was anything organization could do to help Joseph Randle

Jerry Jones made it clear that he wants Rolando McClain back

Jerry Jones says Cowboys have plenty of cap room but don't expect team to break the bank by signing big name free agent

Jerry Jones on if he wants Rolando McClain back: "Yes. I say yes. That's not a good competitive thing but I do want him back."

Jerry Jones on Brandon Carr: "He's certainly a player that the big issue here is the price. He's a good player. It's the price."

Jerry Jones: Not realistic to think we can spend big in free agency. Have to be responsible to "not blow things out for us in years to come"

Jerry Jones: "I don't know that we'll ever be any better under the cap than we are right now and I don't expect to be."

Jerry Jones: We don't need to clean up cap like when we cut DeMarcus Ware. "Congratulations to him, by the way. He won. I'm proud for him."

Jerry Jones on if the Cowboys would try to bring in a big name free agent running back: "Don't rule it out, but that's hard to see."

Jerry Jones on Randle: "I know of nothing that in any way involves him sports betting on anything to do with football, anything like that."

-Jon Machota

DannyDuberstein
AG
I would feel better if I read those comments and just thought Jerry was just blowing smoke. But because Jerry has always been a glass-half-full evaluator of his own talent, something tells me he actually believes a decent chunk of it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
The problem with drafting Smith is that the Cowboys draft picks are really high in each round (good kind of problem). They can get 3 guys who can come in and have upgraded impacts on opening day.

That said, I think some team will take a chance on him late in the 2nd still. If he's there for the Cowboys at the 3rd pick, I just don't think they can afford to have a guy sit out a full year at this time. Now if somehow he plummets to the 4th, then I'd take that risk on him.
BassCowboy33
quote:
The problem with drafting Smith is that the Cowboys draft picks are really high in each round (good kind of problem). They can get 3 guys who can come in and have upgraded impacts on opening day.

That said, I think some team will take a chance on him late in the 2nd still. If he's there for the Cowboys at the 3rd pick, I just don't think they can afford to have a guy sit out a full year at this time. Now if somehow he plummets to the 4th, then I'd take that risk on him.

Disagree. I don't have a problem with missing a year. I have a problem with missing MULTIPLE seasons over a ten year career. A high pick sitting for a year isnt the end of the world if that pick gives you 8-10 good years. Draft picks should NEVER be based on something as stupid as a "Year One" return. A rookie isn't going to push this team over the top.

As many have mentioned on this thread, Dallas is well on their way to having another quarterback problem, because they didn't learn from their mistakes. Five years from now, we very easily could look back and see that the Romo window was already closed by 2016, but the front office spent critical years denying it.
corleoneAg99
AG
Gotta love the Jerry double down.
BassCowboy33
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639555/article/mayock-sitting-for-year-behind-qb-like-romo-ideal-for-wentz
corleoneAg99
AG
The hope should be that Jerry is being overly bullish on Romo to play poker with other teams who might feel the need to trade up above Dallas to take Wentz or Goff.

Because the alternative is that he's more insane than most think. Which is saying something.
BassCowboy33
quote:
The hope should be that Jerry is being overly bullish on Romo to play poker with other teams who might feel the need to trade up above Dallas to take Wentz or Goff.

Because the alternative is that he's more insane than most think. Which is saying something.

The DMN guys think that this is exactly what they're doing. The thinking seems to be that Dallas is talking down the QB situation to try and keep teams from trying to sneak into the Top 3.
PooDoo
AG
If they don't go QB at 4 I think the Deforest kid from Oregon is the right pick. Think he would be disruptive at any position on the line and would also be able to play in the 3-4 or 4-3.

I think I'd go D-Line twice in the top 3 rounds. Would be really nice if we could trade down & get that extra 2nd. You get those monsters on the line & you've got some flexibility who you can play at DB & LB.

Ideally I'd hope we could trade down, grab Elliott... But there will be nice RB's in the 2nd or 3rd.

Bad news is after years of swinging & missing on TE's we could really use one & there really aren't many to choose from this year.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I think I'd go D-Line twice in the top 3 rounds.
Was actually thinking this earlier today. Not only just DLine, but interior DLine would kind of be fascinating and might be a good formula as long as they do indeed sign serious help at DE, LB, and DB.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
I think I'd go D-Line twice in the top 3 rounds.
Was actually thinking this earlier today. Not only just DLine, but interior DLine would kind of be fascinating and might be a good formula as long as they do indeed sign serious help at DE, LB, and DB.

Be careful about that. As many have mentioned before: there is great interior line depth throughout the draft. It would be wise to use a majority of those top picks on non-rotational positions, such as the ones we've already talked about. A 3rd rd interior man or even multiple 4ths wouldnt be a bad call, though.
gigem1223
I really like the DT out of Temple, Ioannidis. Would be thrilled with him in the 4th or 5th.
Macarthur
Not impressed w bosa.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/25/11059596/2016-nfl-draft-profile-joey-bosa-ohio-state-defensive-end-breakdown

I do not believe this guy is a top 5 talent. Good player, but not at #4.

And I gotta say, I'm not sure buckner is the right choice there either. He clearly looks like a 3-4 DE to me. Not the best fit in a 4-3.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Not impressed w bosa.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/25/11059596/2016-nfl-draft-profile-joey-bosa-ohio-state-defensive-end-breakdown

I do not believe this guy is a top 5 talent. Good player, but not at #4.

And I gotta say, I'm not sure buckner is the right choice there either. He clearly looks like a 3-4 DE to me. Not the best fit in a 4-3.

Bosa ran a 4.87 40. Seems that worries about his quickness and speed were correct. It'll be interesting to see how far he falls down boards.
gigem1223
I'll be happy with Goff or Jack at 4. If one of those 2 aren't there I hope we trade down and take Elliot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Wow. That whistling you hear is Bosa's stock in a freefall.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Wow. That whistling you hear is Bosa's stock in a freefall.

Twitter already speculating that he will fall out of the Top 10. His saving grace seems to be that other big DEs have faired just as poorly.
Macarthur
quote:
I'll be happy with Goff or Jack at 4. If one of those 2 aren't there I hope we trade down and take Elliot.
I would be okay w that plan w one caveat I like Ramsey if he's there.
jr15aggie
AG
What I like about elliot is the x factor of our oline. McFadden had a good year, but you put an elite back behind that line and our offense could take off. If we are gonna reject the qbs we need to scare defenses off Romo as much as possible with a lethal run and screen game.

But we are still gonna need lots of help on D. Fingers crossed Scandrick comes back 100% cause that will be1 impact player we didn't have last year.
corleoneAg99
AG
Eh...Bosa's grades from tape won't change. Mayock expected 4.7 and he ran 4.8. He's a high floor guy with great tape. If he's only a top 10 pick instead of top 5 it's not the end of the world.

Otherwise the first group was just meh; Billings was honestly the most impressive considering how big that dude is. Buckner is more or less as advertised and the Calais Campbell comp makes a lot of sense.
corleoneAg99
AG
Oh and I like Sheldon Day too. Kid stuck around for the OLB drills as a 295 DT.
BassCowboy33
quote:
What I like about elliot is the x factor of our oline. McFadden had a good year, but you put an elite back behind that line and our offense could take off. If we are gonna reject the qbs we need to scare defenses off Romo as much as possible with a lethal run and screen game.

But we are still gonna need lots of help on D. Fingers crossed Scandrick comes back 100% cause that will be1 impact player we didn't have last year.

Calling him an elite back before he's played a single down is premature. Plenty of great college backs never did well in the NFL.
corleoneAg99
AG
Group two has more intrigue for sure. Spence is good but doesn't have elite measureables like Von did, for example.

Rankins legit. The Bama guys are impressive. Also, on DL 40's Ogbah ran 4.6 and that doesn't change the fact he's not as impressive in game as someone like Bosa.
PatAg
AG
I don't really understand why a DL's 40 time matters. Shouldn't there agility/shorter sprint drills be the thing that matters a little more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.