****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,466 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I swear its always somethin with this organization
Ag Natural
AG
You guys do realize there are several NFL players with this condition.
PooDoo
AG
Found this on youtube... Nice little piece with Ben or Skin narrating, with commentary from Romo, Quincy, Tuna, Witten, Darren Woodson, Brad Sham, and others...

Plus, the Cowboys War Room's Raylan Givens: Chris Hall

The Story of Quincy Carter & Tony Romo, part 1

The Story of Quincy Carter & Tony Romo, part 2
jr15aggie
AG
Whatever we do in this thread going forward, let's keep it 100% positive. RIP Stars, RIP Spurs, and pretty much stick a fork in the 'Stros! My sports teams are wiped out until football season. This is the Cowboys year!!! I believe!!!!!
RedlineAg08
Thanks for posting. Watched this last night.
jr15aggie
AG
That was good! I knew a lot of that info in the video, but it was well put together.

I can only hope we get so lucky again with our next QB. Hard to imagine how long we would have been stuck with washed up veteran QBs and going no where young guys if Romo hadn't worked out!
PooDoo
AG
If I learned anything from that video it's... After Romo retires we need to sign Drew Bledsoe as the starting QB and let nature take it's course with the back ups.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
If I learned anything from that video it's... After Romo retires we need to sign Drew Bledsoe as the starting QB and let nature take it's course with the back ups.

http://tonyhomo.com/
PooDoo
AG
That's going all in on a bit.... You got to give him that.
quote:

Registrant Name: Amir Blumenfeld
Registrant Organization: ViralTec
Registrant Street: 2020 Bancroft Way
Registrant Street: Apt #404
Registrant City: Berkeley
Registrant State/Province: California
Registrant Postal Code: 94704
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: (510) 486-8283

Think it's the same kid from the college humor site?
PooDoo
AG
http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2016/05/17/blitz-byron-nelson-jones

Byron Jones says he's just been doing safety drills this off season the only corner drill is press man coverage.

Looks like he's pretty much a safety this year.

Also, this episode of Cowboys Break is pretty good. Talking about the RB situation and the draft.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2016/05/17/cowboys-break-questions-running-back
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think Jones being a good Safety is a pretty good likelihood. If that comes to fruition, and Scandrick, Carr, and Claiborne are just decent (not terrible, not great) as a CB unit then I will contend that this team is just a reliable veteran LB and pass rusher away from being a Super Bowl contender. I think a decent CB group, plus Jones can cover up for that other weak Safety spot IF they have a decent pass rush too.

I go back to the Morris signing and once again can't help but wish they woulda used that Morris money either on a pass rusher or LB. Yes, it woulda cost a bit more, but this team's cap situation starting in 2018 is ridiculously good. They coulda added a couple of pieces and still been in very good shape by back loading some deals. I had read earlier in the offseason that the 2018 the Cowboys would be something like $60M under the cap EVEN INCLUDING a huge existing cap hit from Tony Romo. In 2019 even more.

If Lawrence and Gregory do come back and play then the DE position might be ok. But I'm still fearing the unpredictability of the LB unit.
Macarthur
quote:
I think Jones being a good Safety is a pretty good likelihood. If that comes to fruition, and Scandrick, Carr, and Claiborne are just decent (not terrible, not great) as a CB unit then I will contend that this team is just a reliable veteran LB and pass rusher away from being a Super Bowl contender. I think a decent CB group, plus Jones can cover up for that other weak Safety spot IF they have a decent pass rush too.

I go back to the Morris signing and once again can't help but wish they woulda used that Morris money either on a pass rusher or LB. Yes, it woulda cost a bit more, but this team's cap situation starting in 2018 is ridiculously good. They coulda added a couple of pieces and still been in very good shape by back loading some deals. I had read earlier in the offseason that the 2018 the Cowboys would be something like $60M under the cap EVEN INCLUDING a huge existing cap hit from Tony Romo. In 2019 even more.

If Lawrence and Gregory do come back and play then the DE position might be ok. But I'm still fearing the unpredictability of the LB unit.

Agree with your assestment on Jones. I actually think Jones will make Church better because Church and Cox were the same type of player so all the time, at least one of them was playing 'out of position'. Church actually can be a decent SS.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. It was either on here or talking with a buddy I was saying our second round pick could have / should have been somebody like Ragland (and then if Smith was still around in the 3rd then great, take your gamble then). Sean Lee is always a ? and our MLB is one smoke away from "hasta la vista baby!".

I don't care if Ragland is considered a 2-down player... he's CRAZY good at what he does (at least he was in college). I feel pretty good about our D-line from a depth standpoint. We definitely don't have that pure pass rusher, but there are plenty of teams that get push w/out that one D-Ware type player. We've got good depth and a couple guys are really talented.... but I'm with you guys, LB scares me!
PooDoo
AG
The Cowboys Break clip I posted touches on the Morris signing and is echoed by Jason Garrett's interview in The Blitz.

JG said they want to use free agency to solidify their team enough to be able to go into the draft and take the best player available.

I'm excited to see how the guys they picked up play. Thornton is an upgrade from Hayden and Mayowa will be nice depth after the suspensions are up.
jr15aggie
AG
Back on those Romo videos... it's all "what if" cause we know how history played out, but if Quincy didn't pull his stunt and Romo indeed got cut then Jerry & The Tuna would have been the biggest idiots of all time.

The part of the story that I'd never heard before was how guys like Woodson (Darren friggin Woodson y'all) was telling his coaches, "you guys realize Romo is the best QB on the roster right!" Talking about how Romo would just eat them up as the scout team QB.

So basically they would have cut Romo, despite knowing what they knew about him, all because Quincy was a 2nd round pick and projected starter, Testaverde was Parcell's guy, and Henson was Jerry's new pet. Romo would have been sent packing because of Quincy and neither Parcells' nor Jerry would be willing to part with their QB man crush of the month. Wow!
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
JG said they want to use free agency to solidify their team enough to be able to go into the draft and take the best player available.
I 100% believe this... it's what they've done in recent years. They have not seriously gone after a big name FA since Carr (I think, unless I'm forgetting someone). Now granted, it doesn't always work out, but this is their philosophy.

Use 1-2 year deals in free agency for stop gap players (some of which play really well for us) and re-sign your drafted players to the long term deals. Guarantee the Cowboys have much more interest in re-signing their O-line (guys they drafted & Collins) than they do overpaying for a FA. It also makes much more sense because the Cowboys will many times get a team friendly long term deal by paying these guys a year early. All the way around it's a much more cap friendly way to do business.

Do this consistently and it gives you the room in your cap to, at the appropriate time, take a shot in FA to get that one guy that can be the turning point (Charles Haley / Deion).
PooDoo
AG
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/05/18/gosselin-gus-frerotte-ezekiel-elliotts-high-school-coach-knows-just-valuable-rb-can-cowboys

Didn't know Gus Frerotte was Elliott's high school coach. Garrett was Frerotte's QB coach in Miami and Linehan was his OC.
jr15aggie
AG
Zeke is gonna be the man... rookie of the year... rushing title... Super Bowl MVP... believe it! :-)

On the defensive front Talking Cowboys today had some good things to say about a couple guys. Said Crawford was a mess last year and couldn't even do the bench press his shoulder was so out of whack. Crawford said he feels like a new man this year post surgery and is benching over 400 right now. I didn't realize he was ailing so bad last year.

Mo also made a comment this is his first year coming into camp where he's not rehabbing something. Said that last year because of his injury he came into camp around 180 and couldn't add weight during season. Said he's in the upper 190's now and feeling good.

Keeping my fingers crossed about this defense. I think they can be pretty good / decent this year if everything goes right.

TyHolden
AG
Ramsey already hurt...torn meniscus
PooDoo
AG
Same knee he had micro fracture surgery on in high school. Glad we avoided that mess.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Same knee he had micro fracture surgery on in high school. Glad we avoided that mess.

Oh wait but we were idiots for not drafting him!
PooDoo
AG
I didn't even like picking him before the knee history. A top 10 DB needs to have picks & atleast a TD return.
jr15aggie
AG
Team Zeke checking in... What's the latest news guys? What's that, Ramsey is hurt. You don't say!
BMX Bandit
Good call. I remember all your posts on how Ramsey wouid get hurt during conditioning drills!
RedlineAg08
jeez... it's a minor meniscus tear, that's like 4 weeks, maybe..

I'd love to hear all about how all the "Team Zeke" had inside info on injury history of other players.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
Good call. I remember all your posts on how Ramsey wouid get hurt during conditioning drills!
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Whatever... Let me look up my post. Oh, it must have been deleted by staff because it was too awesome.

But seriously... Can you imagine if that had been us. Another rookie who missed training camp because of an injury (right now it's very likely he'll miss significant camp time). As a DB that time is crucial to adjust to NFL. Ugh. I would be hating football life.
PooDoo
AG
quote:

I'd love to hear all about how all the "Team Zeke" had inside info on injury history of other players.

I also heard on NFL radio that he has a small tear in his cartilage. I'm no doctor but you add that to a microfracture procedure & that equals trouble.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

I also heard on NFL radio that he has a small tear in his cartilage. I'm no doctor but you add that to a microfracture procedure & that equals trouble.
Correct. The report I'm hearing is that they are hopeful he'll be ready week 1, which means say good-bye to training camp. We've seen that before. Makes it dang near impossible for a rookie to do much of anything. He doesn't get the reps & speed of the game in camp and he typically battles injuries most of the year because his body can't get into game shape as the season goes along. So important to get training camp work.

D-Lawrence is a good example. The guy was practically a no-show as a rookie after missing camp. He finally started to turn it on late in his rookie season and we saw last year that he can be a dang good player for us. Most likely Ramsey is playing catch-up all year long and hopefully for Jacksonville he is healthy next off-season. If he keeps getting banged up though, they got a Mo Claiborne on their hands... all the potential in the world but just can't get it going.

Ag Natural
AG
And Shaq Lawson reinjured his shoulder doing swim move drills at rookie camp. Just another reason to not get too caught up in the immediate impact of these draft picks.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
And Shaq Lawson reinjured his shoulder doing swim move drills at rookie camp. Just another reason to not get too caught up in the immediate impact of these draft picks.
Somebody was talking the other day about how rookie camp is dumb. Especially for the top picks. Think about it, the top picks spend the entire month or so before the draft doing nothing but flying around from team to team doing private work-outs, interviews, etc. They don't have the time to properly work out, not to mention they are staying in hotels, eating out, etc... pretty much everything other than their normal routine. Then you throw them right into a mini camp and they try and go 1,000 MPH... no surprise when they start blowing out knees, shoulders, etc.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correct. The report I'm hearing is that they are hopeful he'll be ready week 1, which means say good-bye to training camp. We've seen that before. Makes it dang near impossible for a rookie to do much of anything. He doesn't get the reps & speed of the game in camp and he typically battles injuries most of the year because his body can't get into game shape as the season goes along. So important to get training camp work.

D-Lawrence is a good example. The guy was practically a no-show as a rookie after missing camp. He finally started to turn it on late in his rookie season and we saw last year that he can be a dang good player for us. Most likely Ramsey is playing catch-up all year long and hopefully for Jacksonville he is healthy next off-season. If he keeps getting banged up though, they got a Mo Claiborne on their hands... all the potential in the world but just can't get it going.

A lot of that is predicated on position. DE is a notoriously difficult jump for college players. Maybe second only to QB and possibly some spread system WRs. But your point still stands.
PooDoo
AG
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:

Burn it with fire. I love them both but God...
DannyDuberstein
AG
That is so bad. So, so, so bad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.