****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,450 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's one heck of a gamble to move six spots. They just mortgaged their future. I've never understood the idea of drafting your franchise QB, but trading away all your draft picks in the process.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Has trading up to get a QB at the top of the draft ever worked out? It happens fairly often, but I can't think of a single instance of it working out well for the team moving up. The closest I can remember is RG3, but after year one it went downhill fast.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TheCougarHunter
AG
No one in this draft is worth giving away that much. I could maybe see it with an Andrew Luck type player but not these guys.
BassCowboy33
quote:
No one in this draft is worth giving away that much. I could maybe see it with an Andrew Luck type player but not these guys.

To add onto that, the only can't miss quarterback that I can remember was Luck. Manning, Aikman, Alex Smith, Stafford, Carson Palmer, and Eli were all highly touted, but were never "Can't Miss" guys. It's such a crapshoot.
RedlineAg08
Good thing for the cowboys. Another divisional rival crippled.

Even with the QB of their choice, the team sold off their OLine and WRs.. He's going into a bad situation without any offensive talent for him to lean on.
BassCowboy33
quote:

Even with the QB of their choice, the team sold off their OLine and WRs.. He's going into a bad situation without any offensive talent for him to lean on.

Sturm was joking that the only thing the Eagles do to help Dallas more would be to draft a running back at #2.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:

Sturm was joking that the only thing the Eagles do to help Dallas more would be to draft a running back at #2.
Jerry isn't bad at all compared to the leadership of the Redskins/Eagles as of late.

I guess Sam Bradford is their current QB, so maybe their new QB won't get beat to death initially, but they sold the draft picks needed to rebuild their oline/wrs.. The only way to aquire talent in Philly is to buy it in FA at this point.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Eagles were a few years ago so well managed. Other teams copied their salary cap management style (under Joe Banner).

Now for 2 years or so their moves have been mind boggling to say the least.
TexasAggieJTL
AG
I'd rather the Cowboys take Dak in the 4th rd than either Wentz or Goff in the 1st.

Here's hoping the Cowboys get Ramsey at 4.
jr15aggie
AG
This is awesome... the Eagles threw away most of this year's draft and next years as well.

This is like a draft reset and San Diego is now on the clock! Dallas essentially as the #2 pick in the draft. This will only help them figure out who they want if they pick at #4 and/or what they could get if other teams are entertaining a trade!

Daveintx
Lawrence about to be suspended

Just how stupid are these guys???!!!!!
BassCowboy33
quote:
I'd rather the Cowboys take Dak in the 4th rd than either Wentz or Goff in the 1st.

Here's hoping the Cowboys get Ramsey at 4.

I'm going to agree with Sturm on this one. If you don't get a QB in the Top 40, don't take one. Statistically speaking, taking a QB after 40 is just wasting a pick. I believe Sturm and Kemp came up with the stat that a QB taken outside the Top 40 actually becomes an above average QB one time for every six years.
BassCowboy33
quote:

Oh, Lawdy.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:

****in A!

Idiots.

So I guess its Joey Bosa come on down!?

Maybe even gota consider bringin that ahole Hardy back.
jr15aggie
AG
Frack!!!!!!

Now we are definitely hog tied for the draft. We can still go best player at #4, but we HAVE to draft at least 2 DE's now.

But yeah, more than likely we are looking at DE at #4. For the love of PETE!!!! I'm not sure if I could be more pissed about Cowboys Football in friggin April!
corleoneAg99
AG
Marinelli a closet dealer or what????
BassCowboy33
Panthers rescind Franchise Tag on Josh Norman. He's now a free agent.
Goldie Wilson
what's our cap space?
TexasAggieJTL
AG
Do they sign Hardy now?
BMX Bandit
No way they sign Hardy
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Panther rescind Franchise Tag on Josh Norman. He's now a free agent.
BMX Bandit
Cowboys can't afford him
RedbeardAG
AG
My guess is we are going to see some negative Josh Norman news in the near future....
corleoneAg99
AG
Panthers weren't ever going to pay his number and he wasn't going to budge...don't think it's a drug suspension looming or anything.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
My guess is we are going to see some negative Josh Norman news in the near future....

There seems to be a rash of failed drug tests/suspensions coming down . Could be that.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

There seems to be a rash of failed drug tests/suspensions coming down . Could be that.

The official release said that contract negotiations broke down and they didn't see a way forward.
J.P. 03
AG
Once this news broke today, I don't even want to know how many contracts Jerry Jones tried to restructure in an attempt to clear enough cap space to make Norman an offer.

On second thought, I kinda do...
PooDoo
AG
On a good team Lawrence would just be a rotation guy for depth. Stupid to make a need pick.

Although, I like Bosa better than Ramsey stick with the board.

I'm thinking if the Chargers keep the pick they go Ramsey.

Anyone see Hackenberg on Gruden's QB camp? Chucky thinks he's a no brainier 1st rounder. If he's there in the 2nd I have think that might be the pick depending on who else is there.

I also like Karl Joseph in the 2nd if his knee healed up right. But he might be a guy that you want to trade before his rookie contract is up. Body might not be able to take the punishment.
RedlineAg08
Agreed on all points. And I think Hackenburg had a really good showing on Gruden.. I think Gruden helped him blame his last 2 seasons on the coaching staff, but it worked. I'd take a shot on him if he could sit and develop at least a year.

And San Diego has to be struggling with whether to go Tunsil or Weddles replacement. I think they go Tunsil

We cant go wrong picking Bosa or Ramsey. It sets up the rest of tbe board differently, is all.
CrottyKid
AG
I watched Hackenburg live at the combine. He was one of the worst QBs in his group. Goff, Lynch, Allen, Cook, and the guy from WKU all performed better than Hackenburg. Wentz wasn't in that group. Hackenburg looks like a QB, but I worry that he doesn't think like one. He seems really mentally fragile.
birdman
Picking a quarterback outside the top 40 might be a waste of time. But there are usually 1 or 2 good quarterbacks available on free agent market. And always a pile of average quarterbacks. Cowboys have had their hands tied for several years but are seeing the light at end of tunnel.

Pick Bosa and never look back.
BassCowboy33
Anyone who watched Hackenberg take a snap realizes just how god awful he is. He's Christian Ponder-lite. A guy who has survived solely on his size and arm strength and not much else. He can't read defenses, he was terrible adjusting coverage, and he is laughably inaccurate. His combine showing merely reinforced what we've all watched over the past few years. "Wasting" wouldn't be the right verb to describe the team that drafts him. "Catastrophic" or "Inexcusable" would be a better word. Hell, I'd take Jeff Driskel in front of him or draft Randy Gregory all over again. He's simply one of the worst qb's that we saw this year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't care for Hackenburg either. This is back to the point Romo has made about what it takes to be a successful QB - sure, you have to be able to make the throws, but the real question that determines a player's potential is whether he can read defenses and manipulate the pocket. I don't think Hackenburg does either well.
RedlineAg08
I didnt watch him after his freshman year, so i have no clue. Just liked his Gruden interview
jr15aggie
AG
I'm really intrigued by what I hear about Lynch. Some say he is the best of the bunch, he just isn't ready to start day 1 as a rookie. That's fine with me as far as Dallas is concerned. I've always said it would almost be a waste to not have some young pup come learn under Romo... that window to bring somebody in to sit behind Romo is closing.

With all this news of more guys getting suspended it very well could be it doesn't matter what we do in the draft, our defense very well could struggle again. If that is the case I'm not a hater if the Cowboys go Lynch, even with the #4 pick if he's that high on their board. If they trade back (picking up an early 2nd rounder for compensation) and get Lynch I'm applauding them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.