****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

206,635 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I absolutely cannot friggin believe I am saying this, but I agree with Joel Klatt entirely.

And this, so much this from BAD

quote:
They think that this is no longer a Tony Romo window and compared it to Aikman's injury plagued twilight years. The question to them is whether or not Dallas realizes it.

Face reality and strike while the QB iron is hot. Don't misread your hand, have it blow up in your face, and end up getting your Quincy Carter in a year or two.
Macarthur
quote:
You'd take a safety at 4? Ramsey can't be the pick at 4 unless they think he's a starting corner.

Yes, I would take Ramsey at 4. He can play corner. He can play safety. He can blitz. He is, IMO, in the mold of eric berry and earl thomas.

He and Jones at the back of that defese would be really really good. Now, you still need to work on the front 7, but Ramsey and Jones would give you a very similar dynamic that Seattle throws out there.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I absolutely cannot friggin believe I am saying this, but I agree with Joel Klatt entirely.

And this, so much this from BAD

quote:
They think that this is no longer a Tony Romo window and compared it to Aikman's injury plagued twilight years. The question to them is whether or not Dallas realizes it.

Face reality and strike while the QB iron is hot. Don't misread your hand, have it blow up in your face, and end up getting your Quincy Carter in a year or two.
People on here don't like Klatt, because he has a Big XII bias (and he admits to having one), but he's very knowledgeable about the sport and one of the few color guys who I actually learn from when he talks.
corleoneAg99
AG
The opinions on the QB this year are crazy to me...Bruce Feldman is saying he wouldn't use a top 10 pick any of the guys(although if forced to, he'd take Goff) and then you have Mayock saying Wentz is the closest thing to Luck he's seen since Luck came out.

That's both ends of the spectrum to say the least.
Macarthur
And I reAd someone today, don't remember who that said goff has the best pocket awareness and pocket mobility that he's seen in more than a decade.
BassCowboy33
quote:
And I reAd someone today, don't remember who that said goff has the best pocket awareness and pocket mobility that he's seen in more than a decade.

Watch his film. It's almost unbelievable. He abuses the pocket like Mike Tyson abuses women. The sliding and maneuvering is effortless. Klatt described it as "Pocket Poetry". He'll make someone's Oline look really good.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That was probably younger and healthy Romo's best quality - feel for the pocket and ability to buy time even though he wasn't really anything special from a pure mobility standpoint. Tremendous and oftentimes underrated asset.
BassCowboy33
quote:
That was probably younger and healthy Romo's best quality - feel for the pocket and ability to buy time even though he wasn't really anything special from a pure mobility standpoint. Tremendous and oftentimes underrated asset.

It's why Tom Brady can be as unathletic as he is, but still be as good of a QB as he is: pocket presence.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

It's why Tom Brady can be as unathletic as he is, but still be as good of a QB as he is: pocket presence.

It's also good to know that your QB won't bail from the pocket if his first read isn't open.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
You'd take a safety at 4? Ramsey can't be the pick at 4 unless they think he's a starting corner.

Yes, I would take Ramsey at 4. He can play corner. He can play safety. He can blitz. He is, IMO, in the mold of eric berry and earl thomas.

He and Jones at the back of that defese would be really really good. Now, you still need to work on the front 7, but Ramsey and Jones would give you a very similar dynamic that Seattle throws out there.

Ramsey isn't close to Earl Thomas & Eric Berry. They were playmakers. Both double digit career picks. Ramsey has 3.

If you take a safety at 4 he has to be a playmaker. We need better than a bigger Terrence Newman.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ramsey isn't close to Earl Thomas & Eric Berry. They were playmakers. Both double digit career picks. Ramsey has 3.

If you take a safety at 4 he has to be a playmaker. We need better than a bigger Terrence Newman.

Terrence Newman had some fantastic seasons. He had multiple years of giving up three or fewer touchdowns, including one year, I believe it was '06 off the top of my head, where he only gave up one touchdown. Don't let the average final couple of years take away from the many good ones ge had.

Newman was also a very dangerous punt returner.
PooDoo
AG
He was solid but not the playmaker we hoped. Plus they didn't let him return punts.
BassCowboy33
quote:
He was solid but not the playmaker we hoped. Plus they didn't let him return punts.

Tell that to the New York Jets team that he excoriated on Thanksgiving. He's a guy that I'd take again. He was one of the best corners in the NFL during his prime. Not sure how old you are, but I remember the Kevin Smith days and whoever Dallas would throw opposite of Ryan McNeil. Those were lean times that Newman helped Dallas escape from. He could also play safety in a pinch.
PooDoo
AG
Like I said, he was solid. BUT was he the right pick at #5? Cowboys could've picked Jordan Gross, Terrell Suggs, Kevin Williams, or Troy Polumalu sp? at 5 & still nab Rashean Mathis in the 2nd round.

That's the difference between good drafts & drafts that lay the foundation for championship teams.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't agree. That is really the only 'knock' on Ramsey is that he didn't have a lot of picks, but I disagree that he doesn't have playmaking ability.

Remember that FSU used him in a variety of ways. He played in lots of diff spots. I think it's a mistake to get too caught up in the INT number.

Eric Berry was great in college and had 14 INTs and 17 TFL

Ed Reed only had 4 INTs in his MIami career

Earl Thomas had 10 INTs but only 7.5 TFL

Ramsey had 4 Forced fumbles and 14 TFL to go with the 3 INTs.

So, clearly Berry stands out, but Ramsey compares favorably to Thomas and Reed.

I think the stats show that Ramsey also has a ton of versatility. Also, keep in mind, that if Ramsey were classified as just a CB he would be rated right with Hargraves for the top CB in the draft. His skill set for a safety is rare.

And I've said this before, elite safety play has such an effect on the rest of the defense that there are a ton of stats that will be affected yet not directly attributed to the safety.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Like I said, he was solid. BUT was he the right pick at #5? Cowboys could've picked Jordan Gross, Terrell Suggs, Kevin Williams, or Troy Polumalu sp? at 5 & still nab Rashean Mathis in the 2nd round.

That's the difference between good drafts & drafts that lay the foundation for championship teams.

That's a dangerous and poor game to play. That was back when Dallas had the Nguyen, Singleton, Coackley linebacking corps, which was the fastest and best in the NFC at the time. Darren Woodson was still playing at a high level. Glover, Ekuban, and Ellis were a fantastic Dline. What Dallas needed was a cornerback. Roy Williams was still playing at a pro bowl level. You like to talk about taking "the most pressing need" in this draft. The most pressing need in 2003 was a cornerback.
BassCowboy33
David Moore from DMN was on with The Musers this morning:

1. If Dallas views Goff or Wentz as a franchise QB, they will take whichever is available.

2. Dallas doesn't view Joey Bosa as an elite pass rusher. Dallas has concerns about his "fast twitch" speed and think that he will be a solid DE, but not necessarily worth a high pick. Highly interested in his combine results.

3. Dallas is determining whether or not Ramsey is a "shut down" corner. They like his film, but worry about his hip rotation. Good chance that he is the pick if the QBs are gone.
Macarthur
quote:
David Moore from DMN was on with The Musers this morning:

1. If Dallas views Goff or Wentz as a franchise QB, they will take whichever is available.

2. Dallas doesn't view Joey Bosa as an elite pass rusher. Dallas has concerns about his "fast twitch" speed and think that he will be a solid DE, but not necessarily worth a high pick. Highly interested in his combine results.

3. Dallas is determining whether or not Ramsey is a "shut down" corner. They like his film, but worry about his hip rotation. Good chance that he is the pick if the QBs are gone.

I'm hearing more and more of this same stuff on Bosa. The talking heads have just anointed him, but there are some starting to raise those questions about his explosiveness.
Macarthur
You know, I think one of the major themes of next year that I have heard very little talk is the history of JG.

I am a fan of JG and was really happy with the 12-4 because I thought it validated much of what he tries to preach. However, I do not think the coaching staff can escape some blame for how ridiculously this team played last year. Injuries happen and there is no excuse that they couldn't win at least a few of those games in a very bad division.

If Romo struggles with injuries, again, and this team goes south again, how confident can the Jones family be in JG moving forward?
DannyDuberstein
AG
With how much the rules handcuff corners these days, I'm leary of taking one top 5. Better be truly effing special.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

That's a dangerous and poor game to play. That was back when Dallas had the Nguyen, Singleton, Coackley linebacking corps, which was the fastest and best in the NFC at the time. Darren Woodson was still playing at a high level. Glover, Ekuban, and Ellis were a fantastic Dline. What Dallas needed was a cornerback. Roy Williams was still playing at a pro bowl level. You like to talk about taking "the most pressing need" in this draft. The most pressing need in 2003 was a cornerback.

If you're going to bring up Ekuban, don't forget to add Peppi Zellner to that stellar defense that managed to finish 5-11 and forced Jerry to bring in the Tuna.

None of those LB's fit Parcels defense and Roy Williams wasn't smart enough to make it without Woodson holding his hand.

The whole team had to be overhauled.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't agree. That is really the only 'knock' on Ramsey is that he didn't have a lot of picks, but I disagree that he doesn't have playmaking ability.

Remember that FSU used him in a variety of ways. He played in lots of diff spots. I think it's a mistake to get too caught up in the INT number.

Eric Berry was great in college and had 14 INTs and 17 TFL

Ed Reed only had 4 INTs in his MIami career

Earl Thomas had 10 INTs but only 7.5 TFL

Ramsey had 4 Forced fumbles and 14 TFL to go with the 3 INTs.

So, clearly Berry stands out, but Ramsey compares favorably to Thomas and Reed.

I think the stats show that Ramsey also has a ton of versatility. Also, keep in mind, that if Ramsey were classified as just a CB he would be rated right with Hargraves for the top CB in the draft. His skill set for a safety is rare.

And I've said this before, elite safety play has such an effect on the rest of the defense that there are a ton of stats that will be affected yet not directly attributed to the safety.

Ed Reed was a MONSTER in college the 4 stat you saw was the number of int's he returned for TD's... He had 21 career picks. And he didn't get drafted until 24!

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we looking for a center fielder & a hammer at safety in this defense.

Ramsey is a better physical fit at corner but I'm not sure he has the instincts.

Macarthur
I think I was on the college equivalent of pro football reference. I still think you are making too big of a deal on just 3 picks. He was a stud in college.

I got wrong INT number but look at other's too. Reed had 4 FF in his career and so does Ramsey. Ramsey also had more than double the tackles for loss. I think that shows the variety of ways FSU used him.

Ramsey is more of a FS type which is what we lack. Church and Wilcox are too similar.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you're going to bring up Ekuban, don't forget to add Peppi Zellner to that stellar defense that managed to finish 5-11 and forced Jerry to bring in the Tuna.

None of those LB's fit Parcels defense and Roy Williams wasn't smart enough to make it without Woodson holding his hand.

The whole team had to be overhauled.

Huh? That 2003 team finished 10-6 and made the playoffs. You didn't think they made it that far on the back of Quincy Carter did you? Dallas finished that season with the top ranked defense in the NFL.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Dallas_Cowboys_season

It's easy to forget how good some of those defenses were, even in the lean years. The lack of a quarterback is what really hurt this team. That and the Joey Galloway debacle.

This kind of repeat is precisely what many on here are hoping to avoid by getting too quarterback in the draft.
PooDoo
AG
That season happened after the draft
BassCowboy33
quote:

As do most seasons.
corleoneAg99
AG
Henry runs 4.5...goodness.
Macarthur
quote:

That's huge.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

As do most seasons.

So you'd rather have kept Terrence Newman & Al Johnson in that draft instead of Terrell Suggs & Rashean Mathis?

Maybe that would've kept them from going 6-10 the year after.

PooDoo
AG

BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

That's huge.
That'll bump him into the first round more than likely. David Moore was on The Ticket again this evening and says that he's getting the impression that if Dallas can't get the QB that they want at #4, they're going to look real hard into trying to trade down into the teens (if possible).
BassCowboy33
quote:

Proof that speed isn't everything.
BassCowboy33
NFL.com is reporting that Jaylon Smith's knee injury will cause him to miss the entire 2016 season. Another reason to stay away from these wounded linebackers.

Also, Alex Collins ran a 4.6 and struggled to catch passes. He might fall to the middle rounds.
corleoneAg99
AG
Just watched Collins make a great grab on his first angle route drill?
corleoneAg99
AG
And Elliot and Prosise with drops. Throws not always great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.