****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

206,981 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Unless something catastrophic happens he will have the highest grade of anyone in the class.

And according to some he was the highest graded guy last year, too.

He's a sure fire take at 4. You run up there to make that pick.

Just not very likely he's there, though.

I know a lot of folks like him and for good reason but there are some, broaddus for one, that make the Chris long comparison. Broaddus does not see a fast twitch athlete.

I mean before the spence guy got realeased, bosa wasn't the best pass rusher in his own team.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Unless something catastrophic happens he will have the highest grade of anyone in the class.

I know a lot of folks like him and for good reason but there are some, broaddus for one, that make the Chris long comparison. Broaddus does not see a fast twitch athlete.

I mean before the spence guy got realeased, bosa wasn't the best pass rusher in his own team.

I was exceedingly underwhelmed with Bosa in the seven or so OSU games I saw this year.
Macarthur
Yeah, I'm not saying the guy is going to be a bust, but I think there needs to be some brakes tapped on him being a stud.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Imo theres great value there at picks 8-15. And again up through the mid 2nd round. And once again up to the mid 3rd round.

By this I mean you can pick up opening day impact guys there.

A trade down could really help create a good base for years to come.
PooDoo
AG
That DT from Louisville reminds me of a bigger John Randle... Quick feet & hands.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was exceedingly underwhelmed with Bosa in the seven or so OSU games I saw this year.

Looks like two different players if you compare the two years. Might've had to switch to a different brand of nutritional supplements after the NC.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Imo theres great value there at picks 8-15. And again up through the mid 2nd round. And once again up to the mid 3rd round.

By this I mean you can pick up opening day impact guys there.

A trade down could really help create a good base for years to come.

You just need to find a team willing to give up high future picks to move up.
corleoneAg99
AG
Maybe Spence ends up better as a pass rusher but Bosa projects better against the run and he's scheme versatile. If guys aren't high on him here that's cool but I guess I'm saying that just about every rating system I've heard of has him as the highest graded guy. It's entirely possible they're all wrong.
Macarthur
Yeah, spence is certainly the consensus best pass rusher in the draft but he's also a nut, so there's that.

And no doubt bosa is a well rounded guy, good against the pass and run. And again, I don't think anyone is saying he's going to be a bust. I think it's just splitting of hairs if he's going to be a stud that is a no doubt top 5 worthy pick, or will he be just a good to occasionally very good player.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Yeah, spence is certainly the consensus best pass rusher in the draft but he's also a nut, so there's that.

And no doubt bosa is a well rounded guy, good against the pass and run. And again, I don't think anyone is saying he's going to be a bust. I think it's just splitting of hairs if he's going to be a stud that is a no doubt top 5 worthy pick, or will he be just a good to occasionally very good player.

This is where it becomes REALLY intriguing. It's the tale of the tape. When you watch Bosa play, you don't think that highly of him, but ratings systems have him through the roof. Be careful. This is how guys like EJ Manuel, Christian Ponder, and Vernon Gholston jump up boards. People excuse their pedestrian (or in Ponders's case: poor) play, because they're "smart", "well rounded", "great motor", etc. for those on this board who worry about players like that, this is how they go up boards.
BBQ4Me
AG
If you think Bosa isn't good when you watch him, then I don't think you understood what you're watching. I strongly dislike Ohio St, but it's impossible to watch him and not see a future NFL star
Ryan34
AG
Gholston and Manuel jumped up boards because of their physical attributes. Bosa is rated highly because he has very good tape.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Gholston and Manuel jumped up boards because of their physical attributes. Bosa is rated highly because he has very good tape.
And his attributes.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
quote:
And his attributes.
Well yeah. My point is that he's not a workout warrior.
Reginald Cousins
S
But he's like 6'6"...
PooDoo
AG
quote:
If you think Bosa isn't good when you watch him, then I don't think you understood what you're watching. I strongly dislike Ohio St, but it's impossible to watch him and not see a future NFL star
Bosa's drop in production is what has people worried. Did he peak as a Sophmore? Why the drop?

BBQ4Me
AG
He was injured for a good chunk of the season. But when he played, IIRC he graded out per play as the best player in the nation per PFF.

I'm obviously not a football scout, but to me he looks like the closest thing we've seen to Watt.
BassCowboy33
quote:

Exactly what I said, but in fewer words. On paper, this guy looks like a slightly above average DE. On film (minus basically his entire senior year), scouts will be impressed. If he shows poorly at the combine, that should seal it if you're Dallas.
BassCowboy33
ESPN is reporting that with Miller's contract it's looking more likely that Denver will not be able to make a large offer for Osweiler, meaning he might bail for more money.
BMX Bandit
That doesn't help cowboy though. We won't be able to put pay Broncos & don't see him leaving a starting job to be a back up.
BassCowboy33
quote:
That doesn't help cowboy though. We won't be able to put pay Broncos & don't see him leaving a starting job to be a back up.

Oh, I know. It's just that some people earlier in the thread were saying that Denver would throw the bank at him.
Ryan34
AG
Peyton retiring frees up significant cap space for Denver. I think they'll cut him rather than let Osweiler walk too.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
there's chatter the cap is about to go up by about $12M.

BBQ4Me
AG
Cowboys hire Michigan's DB coach, Greg Jackson, to be their safeties coach. Y'all got a good one.
misterguinness
AG
quote:
there's chatter the cap is about to go up by about $12M.

Sports talk radio in Denver alluded to this. I don't know how player contracts influence the overall cap, but they made it sound like a lot will revolve around Von's contract, as the players' union is pushing for his negotiations to exceed those of Watt, Houston, Suh, etc.
BassCowboy33
Kiper has Goff falling to Dallas at #4 in his latest mock.
BMX Bandit
The cap is not dependent on Von's deal. It's a set perentage of certain NFL revenues.

BassCowboy33
quote:
The cap is not dependent on Von's deal. It's a set perentage of certain NFL revenues.

Yep. As I mentioned earlier, if Osweiler wants money, he won't be in Denver next year. As a GM, I wouldn't be willing to throw big money at him, which is why I think he will eventually return to Denver.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
quote:

Yep. As I mentioned earlier, if Osweiler wants money, he won't be in Denver next year. As a GM, I wouldn't be willing to throw big money at him, which is why I think he will eventually return to Denver.

The Broncos are estimated to have $8.16M in cap space. They can clear $19M by cutting Peyton Manning (or if he retires) and another $10M by cutting Demarcus Ware. I think they'll extend Ware instead since he's in the last year of his deal. So they can generate as much as $37M in cap space with those 2 players, which would be top 10 in the league, although again it won't be that much if they extend Ware rather than cut him.

JJ Watt's cap number is $14.5M this year, so if they give Von a deal structured similarly, they'll have plenty of room. Suh's contract looks much less team friendly. His cap number bounces between $28.6M this year, $15M next year and somewhere in between in subsequent years because it looks like he had the minimum base salary this year (his cap number in the first year was only $6.1M).

Bottom line is that they should have plenty of room to sign Von and Osweiler once Peyton is off the books. They can backload Von's deal like Miami did with Suh and keep his cap number really low this year.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Broncos are estimated to have $8.16M in cap space. They can clear $19M by cutting Peyton Manning (or if he retires) and another $10M by cutting Demarcus Ware. I think they'll extend Ware instead since he's in the last year of his deal. So they can generate as much as $37M in cap space with those 2 players, which would be top 10 in the league, although again it won't be that much if they extend Ware rather than cut him.

JJ Watt's cap number is $14.5M this year, so if they give Von a deal structured similarly, they'll have plenty of room. Suh's contract looks much less team friendly. His cap number bounces between $28.6M this year, $15M next year and somewhere in between in subsequent years because it looks like he had the minimum base salary this year (his cap number in the first year was only $6.1M).

Bottom line is that they should have plenty of room to sign Von and Osweiler once Peyton is off the books. They can backload Von's deal like Miami did with Suh and keep his cap number really low this year.

Again, that's not the issue. The issue is how high Denver will be willing to go for what to this point has been average quarterback play. Denver doesnt want to pay Osweiler big money as he, frankly, doesn't deserve it. If a LA or Philly type team swoops in, it's easy to see they could pay more than Denver is willing to commit, especially for a team that doesn't rely on its QB to win games.
Macarthur
kiper just mocked Goff to Dallas. I would be very happy w that.
corleoneAg99
AG
With the number of teams who need a QB Jerry will be shopping that hard I bet.
Agnzona
I assume Romo and Garrett both are lobbying Jerry to not pick a QB.
BassCowboy33
quote:
With the number of teams who need a QB Jerry will be shopping that hard I bet.

Since most draft analysts view QB as Dallas' #1 need, the shopping may not be as hard you think.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I assume Romo and Garrett both are lobbying Jerry to not pick a QB.

Maybe Romo, definitely not Garrett. Hopefully last season taught the front office the importance of not sticking your head in the sand on the QB dilemma.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.