****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,459 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
stetson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
It is just disappointing that we sat through a 4-12 season to pick a running back. Running backs take some of the most violent punishment and break down faster than any other position. They are also hugely dependent upon the offensive line to open up lanes. It is difficult to separate the production of an individual running back versus the system as a whole.
Blue star for Jeff. Running backs are a dime a dozen and most of them can shine with a good OL. McFadden had a great year rushing for nearly 1,100 yards following Murray's stellar year. Yet, the Cowboys still went 4-12 on the season. Elliott was a stupid pick and apparently last year's draft by the Boys was an anomaly and they are back to Jerruh making the picks. The Cowboy defense SUCKED last year and Jerruh's solution apparently is that Elliott will keep his defense, which will be terrible again this year off the field. The Cowboys have built a good OL. They need to follow suit with the DL, LB and secondary and then fill in with skill position players and not the other way around. But that's not Jerruh, he's the little kid who goes for the shiny toy.
Reginald Cousins
S
Methinks a lot of you just look at turnovers and not points and margin of defeat last year. First, this was not a BAD defense.
Second, many of you overlook the fact that a lot of that running last year was hard yardage. 8 rushing touchdowns. 8. This team needs a back worthy of this line.
See what Zeke does at the LB level as opposed to McFadden. Also think of the checkdown threat. Also, factor in the blocking.
I have zero problems if they have this guy #1 on their board. Came out today they gave him a better grade than they gave Gurley last year (without downgrading Gurley due to injury).

ETA: I feel as if this team was one piece away on O, maybe needs another receiver but Butler could be that guy. We are NOT one piece away on D. You will NEVER have two completed sides. Win now dictates complete the side with the least missing pieces.
Reginald Cousins
S
His 18 points accounted for say his year was anything but stellar. Yardage doesn't mean chit. He was simply a bright spot in a depressing year. With 4 more points a game, Dallas likely wins the East last year.
RedlineAg08
If by "one piece" you mean Romo, then you're correct. EE adds another animal to the mix, but we're done on the offense minus finding a mid-late round QB to serve as the #3. T.Williams, Beasley, Bryant, Witten, EE, Romo w/ the best OLine in the league... That's the best offense in the league. Williams isn't a #1, but he's a damn good #2.

No the defense wasnt awful. It'll never be awful because of the scheme. But it wasn't good by any means. I prefer a defense that can dictate the game and win it for a struggling offense. This one is built to hold on for dear life and pray the offense is clicking.

I'm ok with the EE pick, now... kind of.. We should be about as prepared as an offense can possibly be to groom a young QB into becoming a superstar should Romo go away after this year.

If you think back to Green Bay the year Rogers took over, they were STACKED. Farve said it's the most talent he'd ever played with the year before. That's how you produce a superstar QB. You give him tools that are in their prime already that can help him carry the load. That way he can hone the skills to become the QB that can carry a franchise later.

The Cowboys when Romo took over is another good example. They had everything needed on offense included Marion the Barbarian to close out games. And the defense was very good too.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
If by "one piece" you mean Romo, then you're correct. EE adds another animal to the mix, but we're done on the offense minus finding a mid-late round QB to serve as the #3. T.Williams, Beasley, Bryant, Witten, EE, Romo w/ the best OLine in the league... That's the best offense in the league. Williams isn't a #1, but he's a damn good #2.

No the defense wasnt awful. It'll never be awful because of the scheme. But it wasn't good by any means. I prefer a defense that can dictate the game and win it for a struggling offense. This one is built to hold on for dear life and pray the offense is clicking.

I'm ok with the EE pick, now... kind of.. We should be about as prepared as an offense can possibly be to groom a young QB into becoming a superstar should Romo go away after this year.

If you think back to Green Bay the year Rogers took over, they were STACKED. Farve said it's the most talent he'd ever played with the year before. That's how you produce a superstar QB. You give him tools that are in their prime already that can help him carry the load. That way he can hone the skills to become the QB that can carry a franchise later.

The Cowboys when Romo took over is another good example. They had everything needed on offense included Marion the Barbarian to close out games. And the defense was very good too.
I think EE can be that one piece as well. Very polished blocker for heir apparent. If someone looks right, next year you nab that guy. I don't want a mid round scrub that has a .0000001% chance of being the next Brady.
RedlineAg08
I agree with you. I didn't agree with getting him this year #4, but next year maybe... I'd really like to see them grab one in the 4th-5th just in case Romo goes down. There are quite a few QBs that were pretty good QBs in college this year, that didn't get the grade that the top 2-3 did, but weren't awful by any means.

And of course I don't mean just any QB hanging out there in the 4th-5th. But Kevin Hogan I still like a lot. Not as the sure thing heir-apparent, but I think he's worth giving a shot to develop a year or 2 or 3. And if Romo calls it quits after this year, or goes down, you don't let your pick of Kevin Hogan keep you from drafting next year's first rounder.
Macarthur
Statistically, picking any QB after the 2nd round is essentially flushing the pick down the toilet.
RedlineAg08
I think statistically speaking, any pick after the 2nd round doesn't pan out.. Maybe the first 3 rounds.

You find real contributors here and there in every draft. By and large they're special teams players and out of the league by the end of their rookie contract. If they make it that long.

edit: That doesn't mean we should waste every pick after round 3.. It means taking a flyer on a QB when there are quite a few servicable QBs in this draft in the later rounds isn't going to make a bit of difference, negatively, towards the future of the program.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Statistically, picking any QB after the 2nd round is essentially flushing the pick down the toilet.
TyHolden
AG
why even have more than 2 rounds. you guys take the fun out of everything! i need a reason to ***** and get drunk!
Ag Natural
AG
So statistically speaking, Romo, Wilson and Brady should have never happened. Big deal. That doesn't mean you dont try. Right now with a great oline, a devastating run game and a veteran QB in place is the perfect time to groom a high character kid with some tools.

Why isn't Dak getting any love? Did someone find issues with his motion or something?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
So statistically speaking, Romo, Wilson and Brady should have never happened. Big deal. That doesn't mean you dont try. Right now with a great oline, a devastating run game and a veteran QB in place is the perfect time to groom a high character kid with some tools.

Why isn't Dak getting any love? Did someone find issues with his motion or something?

Idk about the scouts or teams but I have a buddy whose a rabid Cowboys fan and Miss St grad/fan and wants no part of Dak unless its late in the draft.

Says hes not NFL starter material and hes not there between the ears oftentimes.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
If they wana have any chance in 2016 they need to grab a defensive difference maker in round 2.

Their D is bordering on pathetic right now and is running the risk of being one of the worst in the league next year without such moves.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
If they wana have any chance in 2016 they need to grab a defensive difference maker in round 2.

Their D is bordering on pathetic right now and is running the risk of being one of the worst in the league next year without such moves.
They were middle of the pack last year in almost every D category save turnovers with Scandrick out. with a top tier O, they can win regardless of who they take this draft... health is the key.

ETA, I still think they should take a difference maker on D, but don't act like they have no chance without one. 2014 says hello.
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
Teams could play it cautious vs the D last year. They knew they didn't need to do a too much so they didn't take risks for much of the game. The poor defense was evident though when teams really did need to put up a score late - Dallas couldn't stop anyone in the clutch. It wasn't just bad luck that the D could appear to play okay for most of the game but then always gave it up when it mattered. When opposing offenses were willing to take a little more risk, the dallas d gave it up like a girl on prom night.
jr15aggie
AG
Jack still hasn't run a 40 for anybody and hasn't played ball since 2014.

Pass.
Tursiops93
AG
quote:

Concerns with his mechanics, footwork and he has shown to be too aware of pressure around him. He can thank last year for that...he got beat up pretty good.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

They were middle of the pack last year in almost every D category save turnovers with Scandrick out. with a top tier O, they can win regardless of who they take this draft... health is the key.

ETA, I still think they should take a difference maker on D, but don't act like they have no chance without one. 2014 says hello.

As it is do you believe they have a championship level D? And if your gona use 2014 as proof of your point you should also remember that D wore down as games concluded. Everyone points to the Dez non catch but that D had several chances to save Dallas that game and failed repeatedly. Hell, the week before Detroit almost beat em and some would say should have.

Imo this D is not winning any Super Bowls as is. If they get lucky in the next few rounds with defenders then that might change. But you need to take defenders to have that chance.
TyHolden
AG
I was soooooooooo drunk at that Detroit game...
gigem1223
quote:
quote:
quote:

As it is do you believe they have a championship level D? And if your gona use 2014 as proof of your point you should also remember that D wore down as games concluded. Everyone points to the Dez non catch but that D had several chances to save Dallas that game and failed repeatedly. Hell, the week before Detroit almost beat em and some would say should have.

Imo this D is not winning any Super Bowls as is. If they get lucky in the next few rounds with defenders then that might change. But you need to take defenders to have that chance.

The D in 2014 suffered so many injuries, I'm not sure it's fair to say they wore down. Other than Hitchens, I couldn't even tell you who the starting LBs were in the Green Bay game.

IMO, this defense is much closer than you think. When Romo was healthy and our offense wasn't constantly turning it over or going 3 and out they were just fine.
BassCowboy33
This draft is turning into a nightmare.
corleoneAg99
AG
Jerry.

I mean.

It's. All. Jerry.

Happy for the kid though.
TheCougarHunter
AG
You gotta be kidding me...

That dude had a 4th or 5th round grade and won't even play this year
TexasAggieJTL
AG
Love the Elliot pick. Hate the Jaylon Smith pick.

You pick Elliot because you want to win NOW before Romo's window closes and then you go draft a guy who won't even see the field in 2016.

Moronic
jeffdjohnson
Could have Ashawn Robinson and Jalen Ramsey suiting up on defense next year.

Through 2 rounds they still haven't selected anyone that will help them.

I guess that is the perfect ending to a wasted season. Wasted draft picks.
Ag Natural
AG
I'm surprised they picked Smith but I don't hate it. By all accounts he should be back as a difference maker. I guess this means they didn't think any of these other guys are in the same league.
corleoneAg99
AG
Jerry.

He's committed to the bit.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Spence gone
BassCowboy33
quote:
You gotta be kidding me...

That dude had a 4th or 5th round grade and won't even play this year

Well, technically, he was a consensus Top 5 pick who had a serious knee injury.
RedlineAg08
we drafted a replacement for the best player on our defense... Great..
BassCowboy33
quote:
we drafted a replacement for the best player on our defense... Great..

Why not? We already drafted a position we didn't really need in the first round.
toucan82
damn... hackenberg's gone
TyHolden
AG
quote:
damn... hackenberg's gone

****!!!
TexasAggieJTL
AG
Ramsey + Henry > Elliot + injured LB

Elliot + Spence was the play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.