****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,446 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

Collins: This is the one pick I really just did not like in any way shape or form. Most had him projected as a 4th, 5th, or even 6th rounder and he's been called lazy and disinterested at times. If you really like him then fine, like him but take him at an appropriate spot like in the 5th.

I think I read someplace that he had some absurd personal best in the squat rack. So it seems he has some physical tools. I guess they think Rod Marinelli can address the lazy/disinterested aspect.
BMX Bandit
I'd be interested to see who had Collins rated as a 5th or 6th rounder.

CBS, which is the old nfldraftscout.com gave the pick an A. Walter football had him projected 2-3 round
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
So if you disagree that a top 5 pick on a RB is a good call for this team and its OL then you simply don't understand the complex idea of "best player available."

Got it.
If you disagree because you think another player was better, fine. But most arguments are that they don't "need' a RB because they have some already or that the defense stinks so it was a bad pick.
No one does a complete Best Player Available strategy early on in the draft. If they have a best player available strategy, it's best player available at a position of need. For instance, if a team with a superstar quarterback has a best player available strategy, they aren't picking a QB in the first round, even if they truly think he's the best player available. So it's completely reasonable for people to argue that it wasn't a good pick even if he was the BPA (I don't think he was but let's just say the Cowboys had him ranked as BPA) because the Cowboys have a great line and proved last year that they could run with the backs they have. Just like if the Cowobys had Tunsil ranked as their BPA, it would be a terrible pick because it's not a position of need. Many people don't think rb was a position of need, considering how well we ran the ball last year. It's not a stupid argument, even if the Cowboys have some sort of BPA strategy.

I'm sure Elliot will do fine. If he does well, all the guys in love with him will point to his yardage, etc and argue that it was a great pick. But the guys on the Ticket made a great point earlier today. Let's assume Elliot has a great year and the Cowboys run the ball better. A majority of that increase in production will be because Romo is playing and opening up the field and the defenses aren't able to key in on the run and stuff the box, especially in short yardage situations. So even if Elliot has better production than Mcfadden, a good portion of that production will not be because of Elliot (who knows what Mcfadden could have done if Romo had played all year).

The running game with the addition of Zeke and Morris has the potential to be devastating. I don't care what the yardage was last year. The offense was so bad it looked to me like defenses dared the Cowboys to march the ball down the field with 4 and 5 yard runs. With more dynamic RBs they can run the ball for big plays and can probably do it even with mediocre QB play.
birdman
Prescott always looked like he had a slow trigger and windup to me. Did I imagine that? Maybe the Cowboys think they can fix it.

All these morons that can only say "BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE" drive me crazy. Just how much difference do you think there is between best player available and second-best player available? Not enough to ignore needs.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So if you disagree that a top 5 pick on a RB is a good call for this team and its OL then you simply don't understand the complex idea of "best player available."

Got it.
If you disagree because you think another player was better, fine. But most arguments are that they don't "need' a RB because they have some already or that the defense stinks so it was a bad pick.
No one does a complete Best Player Available strategy early on in the draft. If they have a best player available strategy, it's best player available at a position of need. For instance, if a team with a superstar quarterback has a best player available strategy, they aren't picking a QB in the first round, even if they truly think he's the best player available. So it's completely reasonable for people to argue that it wasn't a good pick even if he was the BPA (I don't think he was but let's just say the Cowboys had him ranked as BPA) because the Cowboys have a great line and proved last year that they could run with the backs they have. Just like if the Cowobys had Tunsil ranked as their BPA, it would be a terrible pick because it's not a position of need. Many people don't think rb was a position of need, considering how well we ran the ball last year. It's not a stupid argument, even if the Cowboys have some sort of BPA strategy.

I'm sure Elliot will do fine. If he does well, all the guys in love with him will point to his yardage, etc and argue that it was a great pick. But the guys on the Ticket made a great point earlier today. Let's assume Elliot has a great year and the Cowboys run the ball better. A majority of that increase in production will be because Romo is playing and opening up the field and the defenses aren't able to key in on the run and stuff the box, especially in short yardage situations. So even if Elliot has better production than Mcfadden, a good portion of that production will not be because of Elliot (who knows what Mcfadden could have done if Romo had played all year).

The running game with the addition of Zeke and Morris has the potential to be devastating. I don't care what the yardage was last year. The offense was so bad it looked to me like defenses dared the Cowboys to march the ball down the field with 4 and 5 yard runs. With more dynamic RBs they can run the ball for big plays and can probably do it even with mediocre QB play.

While the offense was poor, don't oversell it. The running game was Top 10 in the league. All he's saying is that if we improve from Top 10 to Top 5, it'll have just as much to do, if not more, with Romo and Bryant than it will with adding another running back.

People seem to forget that the reason Dallas couldn't score wasn't because they couldn't run the ball, but rather because no team worried about them passing the ball. And they still finished Top 10 in rushing.
Ag Natural
AG
Nobody completely ignores needs. But most fans and pundits act like the draft is the only way to solve last year's problems. Its not. It is, however, the most likely place to acquire elite players regardless of the position.
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Got it.

While the offense was poor, don't oversell it. The running game was Top 10 in the league. All he's saying is that if we improve from Top 10 to Top 5, it'll have just as much to do, if not more, with Romo and Bryant than it will with adding another running back.

People seem to forget that the reason Dallas couldn't score wasn't because they couldn't run the ball, but rather because no team worried about them passing the ball. And they still finished Top 10 in rushing.
Exactly.
Southlake
Maybe Prescott is going to play receiver. He was a passing/running QB. We coulda had another defensive player.

Disappointing draft for the Cowboys: Had a great chance to really stack the D. Immediate needs on D were not filled. Coulda had a prime defensive player with the first pick. Already had good running backs in place. Let's see if Zeke even starts. No help this year with the second pick - maybe ever if he doesn't fully recover. Whiffed on Lynch. 3rd end 4th picks are just that: 3rd and 4th picks.

Not sure the Cowboys got remarkably better.

Of course, at the end of next year we can revisit these threads.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Got it.

Exactly.

If the running game was so scary, why did we still see two high safety looks? Right, because teams knew the way to beat us was to take away the deep ball and force long drives. There's a reason they signed Morris and there is a reason they drafted Elliot.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Coulda had a prime defensive player with the first pick. Already had good running backs in place. Let's see if Zeke even starts...

Lol...I'm sorry, you lost me at "already had good RBs"!
corleoneAg99
AG
The point continues to be that you don't need a top 5 at RB to have a good running game.

However, if there is anyone's approach you should rubber stamp as "he was their best player available!!!!!!" It's Jerrys.

His track record of success is without equal.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Got it.

Exactly.

If the running game was so scary, why did we still see two high safety looks? Right, because teams knew the way to beat us was to take away the deep ball and force long drives. There's a reason they signed Morris and there is a reason they drafted Elliot.

Hell, I'm surprised that teams even tried to cover the wideouts. In today's NFL, it doesn't make sense to run multiple defensive looks to confuse underperforming quarterbacks. Just run the same one every play!!
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Got it.

Exactly.

This is some Bernie Sanders type spin, here. Two high safeties mean nothing in the NFL. Most teams use a rotational look or a Cloud scheme. Large parts of each broadcast last year were dedicated to discussing why the looks Dallas saw minus Bryant were exceedingly different than the ones they saw before.
corleoneAg99
AG
If you needed proof that Jerry Jr. and Spalding post on Texags just read the past few pages.

It's amazing.
BassCowboy33
quote:
If you needed proof that Jerry Jr. and Spalding post on Texags just read the past few pages.

It's amazing.

I just chalk up to people who have never played. And there is nothing wrong with that. I love watching hockey, but I miss a lot of stuff that someone who did play sees. What sounds like a simple solution is often far more complicated and has numerous ripple effects.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Lots of whiney babies in here.

Elliot will be an elite back.

Three years from now Ramsey will be just another guy
PooDoo
AG
quote:
The point continues to be that you don't need a top 5 at RB to have a good running game.

However, if there is anyone's approach you should rubber stamp as "he was their best player available!!!!!!" It's Jerrys.

Yeah but it was Garrett's pick.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Lots of whiney babies in here.

Elliot will be an elite back.

Three years from now Ramsey will be just another guy

And five years from now, Elliott will be playing for another team. I think that's what irks most posters on here. Everyone agrees that he's a good player. We just wanted something more long term. When you spend twenty years drafting for now, you'll continue not having a future.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

Right.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

And five years from now, Elliott will be playing for another team.

Who says? You are trying to make a point by predicting the future 5 years in advance? Just makes no sense. And don't give me the Murray argument. He had one good year and Dallas wasn't going to break the bank.

If you know anything about Jerry, if Zeke is a stud he's not going anywhere 5 years from now.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

And five years from now, Elliott will be playing for another team.

Who says? You are trying to make a point by predicting the future 5 years in advance? Just makes no sense. And don't give me the Murray argument. He had one good year and Dallas wasn't going to break the bank.

If you know anything about Jerry, if Zeke is a stud he's not going anywhere 5 years from now.

Naw, Stephen said as much in the press conference the other day.

Even without his comments, Dallas has built an offensive line that they want to keep together. Murray put together a Top 10 season in NFL history and Dallas let him walk. In fact, their offer to him was less than what Elliott will make in his rookie deal. Elliott's rookie deal will be on the high-high end of what Dallas would ever pay a back under this cap scenario. If he does well, he'll expect more. If the money/production is right, you could see them franchise him for a year or two, but that might be a stretch.

As many in the media have claimed, due to the accounting and long term effects of this pick, you're going to need an unreal amount of production. I've seen math-y articles state that it would need to be 3+ years leading the league in rushing (anywhere between 1,600-1,850 rushing) and between 12-18 TDs a season. Elliott is certainly capable, but Dallas shrugged off serious need and kicked the can down the road for this guy.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Right.
Broaddus had the Cowboys RB coach on and they said they saw him in the draft room before the draft started. He said yeah, Jason called me in to do him a favor. Then he said Elliott was the most complete back he's ever scouted.

So yeah, it was Garrett's pick.
corleoneAg99
AG
Sure thing. Broaddus is the kind of objective opinion I like to put stock in especially when said opinion involves Jerry not making the call on first round picks.

Just because Jerry is a football idiot doesn't mean he's a PR idiot.
birdman
It's not a question of cash. Jerry will pay to keep his guys, sometimes to his detriment. It's a question of a running back being broken down.

Maybe he has 5 seasons with 300 carries and lots of catches. He is productive with 1700 yards and 14 touchdowns rushing in all those seasons. You think he can maintain that during his second contract?

Zeke Elliott will be used like a borrowed mule for next five years. After that, he might not be worth much.
BassCowboy33
quote:
It's not a question of cash. Jerry will pay to keep his guys, sometimes to his detriment. It's a question of a running back being broken down.

Maybe he has 5 seasons with 300 carries and lots of catches. He is productive with 1700 yards and 14 touchdowns rushing in all those seasons. You think he can maintain that during his second contract?

Zeke Elliott will be used like a borrowed mule for next five years. After that, he might not be worth much.

Which is how it should be. Use him and dump him like a cheap *****.
Corporal Punishment
AG
They signed Sam Moeller.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Sure thing. Broaddus is the kind of objective opinion I like to put stock in especially when said opinion involves Jerry not making the call on first round picks.

Just because Jerry is a football idiot doesn't mean he's a PR idiot.

It came straight from the RB coaches mouth. You couldn't tell the way Garrett was grinning during the press conference?
RedlineAg08
Lol... Tell us more oh wise one.
PooDoo
AG
I'll tell you...

Ramsey is a freak but he's not a top CB or Safety. I think he's more of an undersized LB.

Now he might be a guy like Michael Jordan where the system he was in during college was holding him back. But I doubt it.

I think he's a better tackling Terence Newman with worse ball skills.

The guy has never scored a TD on defense or special teams and only has 3 career INTS.
RedlineAg08
Saying he's a better Newman is supposed to be a slight?

Newman is still playing at 38. Started last year. In his prime used to go head to head with Randy Moss and held up fairly well. If he's a better Terrence Newman then the EE pick looks even worse.
TexasAggieJTL
AG
No draft pick is a for sure thing; remember the hype on Clowney "a once in generation type player"
Bosa or Ramsey could turn out to be pedestrian so why worry about what Zeke will be like in 5 years.
The Cowboys have invested the last several years building a dominat OLine; it only makes sense to have a quality RB carrying the football.

RedlineAg08
You could see that slop being a bust a mile away. All the physical talent but he thought about sitting out his junior year to wait for the draft. Half ass played all thru college and only tried when he had to.

Come to the NFL with that attitude and work ethic where everyone has talent and puts in the work and all that world class athletic ability dont mean ****
BMX Bandit
By all accounts he's had a good work ethic in NFL.

And he's been a busy because of injury. He didn't have an injury history in college, so saying people saw that coming is disinegenuous
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Saying he's a better Newman is supposed to be a slight?

Well, people constantly gripped Newman never lived up to the hype. If Ramsey is similar but tackles better and picks off the ball less I can only imagine the "nice pick Jerry" comments. Let's face it... There is always a large # of Cowboy fans ready to gripe about something.

Lol... I remember it was mid season when Frederick was a rookie, starting and dominating, and people still gripped we drafted him too early.

I can't wait for Zeke to win rookie of the year and for the boo birds to come out, "we could have had Ramsey and Henry could have been our rookie of the year!"
jr15aggie
AG
I love the gamesmanship in the draft.

Ravens are saying "we tried to move up for Ramsey" after they removed Tunsil from their board... Lol... The way I heard it was they were close to a deal with Dallas until we found out their real target was Zeke!

Give us credit.... The ravens are considerred good drafters but we called their bluff. We also jumped them and stole Dez back in the day? I heard they were not happy about that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.