****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

206,630 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not arguing, but a valid point is that our offense was so awful last year other teams played it very safe on offense. So not only were we not scoring, but our defense was on the field so much that the other team pretty much just had to prevent turnovers and the rest would take care of itself.

My memory, which could be wrong, tells me we were decent at getting turnovers in 2014 when our offense was scoring and keeping our D off the field. I remember our CBs struggled at getting picks, but we got turnovers.
Macarthur
Sean Lee can create turnovers. I think jones is a guy that has that type of playmaking ability.

I think Jr makes a good point. Part of creating turnovers is a defense playing w a lead which we did in 14 but didn't last year. Hence more turnovers in 14.

And again, I still say luck plays a role. I remember more than once where a lose ball bounces one way and it goes to an offensive player instead of a defensive player.
Sea Gull
AG
Getting Scandrick back should help create more turnovers as well.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't think you can just wish for more turnovers next year.
precisely.

what would make anyone think we would get a lot more turnovers this year? the scheme is the same. the coaches are the same. and we haven't really added any playmakers. i don't think Tony Romo coming back is going to mean significantly more turnovers. maybe some of the younger guys will develop and surprise but until they show something its all kinda wishful thinking.
Well, last year's team was one of the worst in history at getting turnovers. Just pure law of averages should lead to better output this year. Also, the rationale that a much better offense impacts the defense is valid. Turnovers are normally created by putting the opposition in predictable situations. You do that be having a lead or at a minimum creating some fear. Imagine a 3rd and 10. Last year teams didn't bother trying to pick it up because a punt to your offense wasn't scary at all.
jr15aggie
AG
We forced 3 total turnovers in the first 2 games last year... 3 against Philly and Zero against NY. Against NY we committed 3 turnovers and gave up one defensive TD, so it's not exactly scientific proof, but definitely shows some correlation between your defense getting takeaways vs. what your offense is doing.

Generally speaking, you play good as a TEAM and good things happen... play bad at one part and the whole things starts to look ugly. So we should be good to go this year... Team Zeke! :-)
CasualObserver44
AG
There is a small correlation between talent and turnovers; having someone such as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers at QB helps. However, statistical analysis shows that over 50% of turnovers are attributable to luck, and NFL teams are VERY rarely consistent from year to year. This is especially frustrating because turnovers are perhaps the leading indicator of wins/losses.

This bodes really well for the Cowboys in 2016 though, because we were -22 in turnover margin last year (worst in the NFL). Some of that was due to poor QB play, but most of it was pure luck. Even just reverting to the statistical median (+2 in 2015) means we will have a change of 24 in turnover differential. Our defense only gave up 22 more points in 2015 than it did in 2014, but went from 31 takeaways to 11.

Turnover Luck

Year to Year consistency of Turnovers
Bodhi
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
rumors on other message boards that Randy Gregory has failed yet another drug test.

IF true, wonder if the Cowboys just go ahead and cut their losses and move on. Not advocating that, but perhaps it gets discussion at Valley Ranch.
Agnzona
How these guys keep failing drug test with so much at stake is amazing to me , especially if it is for MJ which is not supposed to be addicting.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Losses are going to get cut for them since he'll never stay clean enough to play.
corleoneAg99
AG
Per usual, all is well!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just can't take risk after risk after risk that high in the draft. I'm all for taking a risk at times, but they are doing it at times when the position group can't afford it. Have to do a better job of balancing risk.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Just can't take risk after risk after risk that high in the draft. I'm all for taking a risk at times, but they are doing it at times when the position group can't afford it. Have to do a better job of balancing risk.
exactly. they love taking those 2nd round risks. now guys like Lee and Carter have worked out. when Lee is on the field he's a damn baller but he has trouble staying on the field. Carter had a decent career here but idk if he was worth a 2nd after all was and done. teams that have great track records and win at high levels can afford these risks...Dallas cannot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I thought Carter was a dime a dozen type LB. Lee is the only one I would comsoder to have somewhat worked out, and even then, his health issues would force a team into a bad spot. The salary cap doesn't afford you the resources to load up much on quality depth, but you absoluty need it behind him. Seen him have to leave games and then a lost backup gets toasted (see NO game last year.
jr15aggie
AG
If Gregory failed another test you cut him right now and move on. Friggin loser.

Funny thing is I was in a hotel with my cousin (who knows nothing about football) the night of the 2nd round. Espn kept showing Gregory. He asked who that was and I told him his story... Said he was a loser and nobody wanted him. When Dallas picked I busted out laughing and he said, "hey, wasn't that the guy you were taking about". Through my face palm I mumbled, "yeah..."
PooDoo
AG
quote:
If Gregory failed another test you cut him right now and move on. Friggin loser.

Funny thing is I was in a hotel with my cousin (who knows nothing about football) the night of the 2nd round. Espn kept showing Gregory. He asked who that was and I told him his story... Said he was a loser and nobody wanted him. When Dallas picked I busted out laughing and he said, "hey, wasn't that the guy you were taking about". Through my face palm I mumbled, "yeah..."
Not really sure what cutting him now would accomplish.. Firing Calvin Hill might be a better start.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I thought Carter was a dime a dozen type LB. Lee is the only one I would comsoder to have somewhat worked out, and even then, his health issues would force a team into a bad spot. The salary cap doesn't afford you the resources to load up much on quality depth, but you absoluty need it behind him. Seen him have to leave games and then a lost backup gets toasted (see NO game last year.
Dime a dozen players don't leave in Free Agency with 4 year $17 mil contracts.

The guy was all over the place his last year with us until he got hurt and the year before that he almost got 100 tackles.

DannyDuberstein
AG
look out that window
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Not really sure what cutting him now would accomplish.. Firing Calvin Hill might be a better start.
What it would accomplish is a sense of moving on... not wasting practice reps for a guy that isn't going to be here. Just gotta close the door to move along.

But, that's assuming he failed another test. I haven't heard anything other than what was rumored above. I can only hope even Gregory isn't that dumb.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
look out that window

If that was true do you think we would be putting up with McClain?
BMX Bandit
Not a huge surprise:

jr15aggie
AG
The second round... Which we in Dallas refer to as 50/50 gambles or TEs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Not a huge surprise:

no worries.

the cowboys had the luxury of taking this gamble.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Not a huge surprise:

or i could also go with ol....

Ed Werder has always had it out for the Cowboys. I wouldn't believe anything he's peddling.
BMX Bandit
10 games for McLain
RedlineAg08
Boom. This season is a wash.
corleoneAg99
AG
ALL IS WELL.

JERRY IS A GOOD GM.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
How many times have i posted in this thread about the reliability of our LBs and the organizations ignoring of said need. It frustrates the hell outa me when casual fans can make more sound decisions than the professionals.

Ridiculous.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Seemed like a good position group to take a risk.

corleoneAg99
AG
He look...the Pats take risks in the second round all the time therefore Jerry taking a guy with no feeling in half his lower body IS FINE.
RedlineAg08
Reggie Ragland...

Maybe Marinelli can talk Urlacher into coming back for a year?? :P
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Lets add a little more perspective here.

Already if you are expecting Lee to give you a full season, you are living in a fantasy world. Its just not happening.

Now McLain gone.

Hitchens so far has proven to be basically just a JAG.

Wilson we have heard good things about, but hey...the Cowboys are probably the best organization when it comes to pumping up mini camp all stars.

On what planet did the Jones family think they were "set" at LB??? I mean seriously. WTF. And I promise you, if Romo DOES stay healthy...we are going to look back on this offseason and say "if we had just added a couple of more difference makers" the season woulda been different. The outcome woulda been different.

We are a championship level Offense. Our defense WAS 2 GOOD players short of possibly being a decent defense but now it's 3 GOOD players short. And there aren't that many good players left in the market.

Now Dallas has no leverage and if they want to be serious about improving the team, they are going to have to overpay to make a trade. Of course, I still expect them to remain unserious and sign 3 more JAGs and expect Marinelli to work his magic.
jr15aggie
AG
I could be wrong, but it certainly feels like none of their gambles pay off. Every nfl roster has those "I hope this works" spots. Seems like every time we hope for the best we get the worst. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised by one of these dumbasses for once though.

I'd stick Hitchens in the middle and see what we can do. The good news is it's a passing league and we have good nickel LBers... At least until Sean Lee sprains a ligament nobody ever heard of before.

But it seems obvious Rolando is gone after this year. His contract is incentive based and he'll cost next to nothing this year... But please don't go into the draft / off-season with him still in the loop, hoping for the best when you know it ain't happening.
RedlineAg08
We'll have a chance at Rueben Foster next year. He's the next animal in the middle, but he strikes me as a headcase as well... Whatever, it won't scare off JJ.
PooDoo
AG
By all accounts Reggie Ragland is off the field unless there are 2 TE's or 2 RB's. He looked nice to me but he dropped for a reason... And that's with the top 2 LB's injured.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.